Looking into this bike 99 suzuki marauder 800 for my first bike and I was wondering what are the pros and cons of this...

Looking into this bike 99 suzuki marauder 800 for my first bike and I was wondering what are the pros and cons of this bike. I know it maxes out at 98mph and is that a kill joy after getting use to it or is it always a fun ride. I'm looking for to speed like crazy but it does seem kinda low for a motorcycle

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Yw2mgHWZnCY
youtube.com/watch?v=wtofbxmlv8Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

For crusing Its great

98 mph my ass on that thing

I looked up the specs and said max out at 98mph. I still new at riding so idk if eventually I want more power and speed I was kinda suprise for an 800cc.

Ive done over 80mph on my 600cc Honda Shadow so i don't find 98 on a 800cc hard to believe.

In theory maybe but the wind will be annoying after ~80

Way too many people die from being fucking idiots on bikes, man. I'm not saying don't buy one, just don't be retarded on it.

Everybody thinks they're the shit, and that they can handle it, or that it won't happen to them. I'm only even mentioning it because you said you want to "speed like crazy".

If you don't give a fuck about dying, then that's your choice and ignore the rest. I've had 5 close friends die in dirtbike/motorcycle accidents in the last three years. 3 of the 5 were experienced motocross racers, just doing what they always did. They weren't on a track at the time, but their thrill of speed is what killed them. All 5 loved to speed, loved to race, and had their accidents on roads they've traveled thousands of times. Unexpected circumstances can happen, resulting in a pretty fucking grisly death.

There was even a guy around my area, didn't know him, but he was going down the road on a motorcycle, a bird hit his helmet causing him to lose control and hit the back of a trailer. Killed the driver and paralyzed the female passenger. And that was a guy doing the speed limit and obeying all traffic laws and bike precautions, just a freak accident.

TL;DR - unless you don't give a fuck about dying, drive a bike the same way you'd normally drive a car.

thats stock, im sure you could go faster with a exhaust/intake/tune. dont know much about that model but for a first bike it would be fine, albeit a little heavy.

800 is a bit large for a beginner.
>maxes out at 98mph and is that a kill joy
The fact that you asked this question means that if you buy a motorcycle you will die on it. No one ever needs to go 98. Everyone drops their first bike. If you buy it, it will kill you (or rather you will use it to kill yourself).

But hey, it's your funeral. Make it as soon as you like. Just try not to kill anyone else in the process of smearing yourself on the interstate at 98mph.

if youre looking for
>to speed like crazy
then you should buy a sport bike
cruisers are fast, but nothing is faster than a sport bike.
I recommend the kawasaki ninja 636

OP here. Sorry guys I meant to say not speed like crazy. But thanks everyone for your input. I don't see myself flying down streets or highways. I juse want something that's easy and fun to ride

This. I'm the one that posted
I ride dirtbikes pretty often, not nearly as much as my mentioned friends, but still often. I've never been a speed junky, either. The highest I'll go is 60-70mph and that's usually only on dead end or straightway roads where you can see straight ahead at what's coming for quite some time.

My passed away buddies used to always call me a pussy, and not to sound fucked up but, I'm still here. I've dumped my bike quite a few times. Always scared the shit out of me, but I always wear a helmet and the proper gear depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing.

It took me a long time to get back on after all the deaths, though. I didn't even break my bike out since my last buddy passed until about 2 months ago, and only because one of my friends insisted I ride with him

Sorry for your loss man. I'm not trying to speed around local streets or busy highways.

Comparable to any other 800cc v-twin cruiser around that year range IE Virago's, Marauders, Shadows. All have around the same output.
Pro's - it's got two wheels and doesn't make you look like a Power Ranger
Con's - it's a Suzuki...

I've owned newer versions of this bike. Boulevards. Goes faster than 100. I had a ton of fun on them.

Is suzuki a bad brand? Don't know much about motorcycle brands

Are these bikes reliable ?

>I'm not trying to speed around local streets or busy highways.
You're also not trying to wrap yourself around a telephone pole.
But guess what? No one ever actually tries to do that. It happens because people are too ignorant to be afraid of high speed on a motorcycle.

No, I did not just call you stupid. Ignorant just means you haven't been exposed to the information. When you have a wreck at 40, it will completely change the way you look at driving 80 because you will have experienced losing control of a motorcycle. If you experience that at 40mph you can live through it. If you experience that at 98mph, you die.
There is no helmet or suit that can stop that from happening. There is no scenario involving any other vehicle where your motorcycle will come through intact or upright. And again, EVERYONE drops their first bike, usually a couple of times.

Buy an actual beginner bike, something in the 250-500cc range that isn't very expensive because you're just going to fuck it up anyway. If you're still alive after two years, move up to a bigger bike.

Also full-faced helmet, long pants, gloves, leather (they're cheaper than armor) jacket, and hard-soled boots with ankle support. Scraping the fuck out of a $50 jacket beats the hell out of skinning your arms.

I've read that the majority of fatal motorcycle wrecks happen to riders in their first year. You can't afford to be dub on a motorcycle. If you are, you get weeded out by Darwin pretty quick.

Take the "Motorcycle Safety Foundation" class. You will learn how to ride safe.

Good luck

No Suzuki is a solid brand. Suzuki, Yamaha, and Honda are all solid Japanese brands.

No offense to them or your losses. I've rode Miroslav motorcycles for years. Never dumped my cruisers, crotch rockets, and, while not advised, rarely wore a helmet (standard road driving, nothing crazy). You won't die. Drive defensively, offensively, be aware of your surroundings, drivers around you, keep a bubble around you (keep other vehicles as fast away as legally possible), as able, and you'll be fine. Be reckless and stupid, yea, well, you can die walking being stupid. Use common sense.

It is not a question of if; it is a question of when.

The bike he is looking at is perfect for a beginner. Rides low, not too fast, responds nicely, and not heavy. While you appear to be helpful, your fear, loss of your friends, and a bit of arrogance is more harmful than helpful. May want to talk to a therapist, friend.

Nobody speeds on city streets or interstates. It's always back roads, country roads, Hicktown, USA where they decide to open up. Everybody knows you're garunteed to be pulled over or hit something/someone in a highly populated area.

The worst I ever saw personally was in a little farm town here in Upstate, NY. My best friend was going up this long backwoods dirt road that was always vacant of any other vehicles, the road has a lot of hills and was pretty bumpy so it made for a good ride. He hit the best "jump" on the road going about 110mph and crashed into the top portion of a large, enclosed tractor trailing a brush hog. Nearly split his body in half and launched him another 100+ feet. I still have that image in my head to this day, I didn't see the initial hit or him flying/skidding, but I was behind him and saw the aftermath and it was the most horrific shit I've seen with my own eyes.

Obviously your average motorcycle typically won't have the capability of something like that, but it's something to keep in mind if you decide you want to drive it like a jackass. You could still be coming up that hill and rear-end a tractor just like it, or anything else really. This was a road that we, but him specifically, drove over and over and over again with no incident. No close calls, barely ever another soul until that day

Edit, motorcycles. Fucking swype

(from my motorcycle safety course 22 years ago)
There are two things you absolutely MUST NEVER FORGET when riding a motorcycle:

1: All motorcycles come factory-equipped with a cloaking device. It's under the seat, and activates automatically. As soon as you sit down on the seat, you turn invisible. You MUST move out of the car's way because it will not move out of yours.

2. The idiot in front of you is about to wreck. They are almost certainly going to do something stupid. Make sure you give them enough room to be stupid without killing you.

As long as your mind is firmly fixed on these two things, THEY DON'T SEE ME and THEY'RE A COMPLETE IDIOT you will be able to keep yourself safe.

Yamaha Mt-09 a good Starter bike? I looked for the 07 but its too small for me as a 197cm tall guy

Pros : cool bike, not to dangerous to start on

Cons : death trap

>Mt-09
Literally a wheelie machine.

Is that a no?
Tell me others then

I think a bike like a SV-650 is the perfect first bike. Has sport bike characteristics so it handles great but doesn't have a ton of power so it isn't a death trap.

Cruiser style bikes don't handle particularly well. Just like muscle cars, they adhere to design elements from the 1960s for no other reason than to have a certain style. I don't understand the appeal.

Thanks much appreciated. I am going to take the safety course since I just have my permitt for now

Don't be a pussy. Get a Boss Hoss 502.

I'm not the guy with the lost friends.
I'm just a guy warning him that this 800cc machine is fully capable of killing him efficiently at 98mph.
It is not a bicycle. It is not a carnival ride. It has no safety features except the operator's foresight and judgement. Not discouraging a beginner from doing 98 is irresponsible.

user asked for advice, and I'm trying to save his life.
Fuck off.

>your fear, loss of your friends

You're talking to 2 different people there. I'm the one whose lost friends, the guy you've quoted is a different person

As I've mentioned before, I ride dirtbikes myself. I have no fear of the bike, I just know my limits and what I'm comfortable with.

I've gone over 110 mph. I've dumped my bike at 60+ mph. I'm not spouting fear, or arrogance. I'm talking from hard learned experience and watching people I care about dying due to ignorance and lacking the idea that reckless actions can and will cause fatal consequences

shit my first was just shy of 1500cc

> pic related home brewed in my shed out back

>> 88ci s&s evo, bored +.010 to address some scoring in the cylinders

>Expensive
>Slower than many sportbikes with engines 1/5th the size

Words of wisdom.

I rode. Had to sell it when I took my soon to be wife for a ride. There was no way she was gonna co-operate on it.

And I still can't her to signal for 3 blinks BEFORE she changes lanes - let alone get her to turn her fucking head to see if someones in her blindspot.

07 is a good bike tbh.

What are you looking for? What do you want it to do?

I currently ride a Daytona 675r and the seat height is like 32 inches. I have a 30 inch inseam, so it's tall for myself. The size doesn't really mean much though, unless the bike is taller, then I'd recommend you to be riding before hand, as it would be easier to drop.

forgot the fuckin pic

Mostly city traffic
My knees are very uncomfortable on a mt07

>Cruiser style bikes don't handle particularly well
I beg to differ. It's a matter of the style of ride you want. If you want to go 200mph down a freeway, lane-splitting then yes, a sport bike will outperform a cruiser platform 99% of the time. However, if you prefer to ride for the sake of riding, to feel the wind against you on the open road, a cruiser could easily outmatch a sport bike. I've tried both styles, and I prefer the cruiser. To me, riding isn't about gotta go fast. I ride because I can, because it's enjoyable. I'd rather be comfortable than Sanic.

Honestly cruisers aren't that fun.
Get a dualsport.
Curbs, speedbumps, potholes, dirt roads. all that is your bitch.
Sure technically any bike can overcome these obstacles but not as well as a dualsport.
I've taken my DR650 way out fishing and even packed light and gone camping with it in places a street bike could never get to.
Stand up straight to scratch your sweaty balls too.
Not to mention they're resilient as all fuck and super easy to work on.

couple blowers and some nos will fix item 2

Sport-touring bikes allows you to do both.

One thing to add though, the 09 does have A, B, and STD modes. If you ride around in B mode while you're learning, it could be a good starting bike. Just A mode is the god of torque and if you're not paying attention while ripping on it, you're guaranteed to pull a wheelie easily.

One thing to add on about the 09. The naked version (FZ-09 in the states) doesn't have much wind protection. If you're looking to equip a fly windscreen, I've heard more often than not it will cause speed wobbles.

The SV-650 has wider handlebars and a more upright riding position than a full blown sportbike so it is much more comfortable.

I agree sportbikes aren't comfortable for long rides. The SV-60 isn't a sportbike. However, the SV-650 will out brake and out turn a cruiser any day.

Pal, a fucking bicycle can kill you. I lost a brother on one. A fucking skateboard will kill you. Putting your fear inducing verbiage to this kid will do nothing positive. I've 30 years experience riding. This is a great learning bike. Common sense will keep him safe, knowledge will, not spitting out life ending BS. Pull your head out of your ass and speak to the smart points, the can do's, versus assuming he'll be a putz from the get go. Everyone will go fast. Period. No amount of bullshit will stop that. Address how he can be safe, smart, attentive, aware. Now come here and I'll fuck right off in your pretty fucking mouth.

Uhhhh 800 isn't shit on a cruiser.
My Victory judge was my first cruiser at 1731cc.
800 would be a lot on a crotch rocket though.

This guy right here. He gets it. Kudos user.

Refer to

>If you want to go 200mph down a freeway, lane-splitting
So you're saying sport bikes are good if you want to give bikers a bad name and kill yourself in the process?

I was kinda thinking the same. That the engine size on a cruiser wouldn't be as powerful on a sportsbike since cruisers are alot heavier and I'm 200lbs and 6ft

>Common sense will keep him safe
>beginner asking if 98 is too slow
>Common sense
He doesn't have that, user. That's why I'm explaining to him that doing 98 on his first bike is suicide.

They don't call them squids for nothing.

youtube.com/watch?v=Yw2mgHWZnCY

Can these fucking assholes preaching dying fuck the fuck off? You aren't fucking bikers. You're not a fucking genius. You are fear spitting fucks. If you talked that shit sound my crew to a newbie, we'd stomp the fucking life outta your stupid fucking mouths. Tell this kid how to be smart, not fucking scared. Idiots. Study, common sense, use your head to remain as safe as you can, even in moments of brief stupidity, which you'll have. Just don't get too cocky, arrogant, or believe you are too good on the bike. Respect it, the road, and your surroundings. You'll be just fine.

>you aren't fucking bikers
GL1100i, been riding 22 years.
>if you talked that shit sound my crew we'd stomp
You just lost all your IQ points.
>smart, not fucking scared
When it comes to 98mph newbies, it's the same thing.

No its not. Not at all. Going 100 on a straight open road won't. So long as you know your surroundings, ramps, exits, road conditions, pay attention. How do you know he has no common sense? Besides asking advice on Cred Forums? All you've done is assume he's dumb, reckless, and will wreck and die. He asked before buying, will likely take a course, be timid at first, then ride that bike like a fucking man. Address him as one. Fucking stupid idiot. You still owe me that mouth, you that. C'mere.

go be loud with all the others faggots

You can be the smartest rider in the world and some idiot on a cell phone can still kill you.

I'm 34 and have been in 4 car wrecks in my life. None of them my fault whatsoever. All of them are some dumb fuck running red lights, stop signs, or rear ending me when I'm already stopped at a red light.

If I had been riding a motorcycle in those crashes I would be dead a few times over.

I'll pass on riding a bike. Looks fun, but I don't trust other people on the road with my life.

>You still owe me that mouth, you that. C'mere.
Ooh, internet tough guy.
So tough that he feels the need to express how tough and brave he is by telling other people to not be afraid to drive recklessly, and threaten people who advise safe driving.
I'm almost impressed.
Well...nearly almost.

IQ points? Okay. Riding 22 years. So more like 10. My crew? Those are my boys. We've ridden together for years. They are my crew. As far as IQ points, I give a shit less what you think, I've not tried to scare knoweledge into someone asking for advice. I've spoken to positives and realities. You have addressed the worst case concerns that no knowledgeable rider, instructor, or seasoned biker would start with. Stuff your fucking IQ in your panties, bitch boy. And give me that fucking mouth. Remember, I still need to fuck off.

>no knowledgeable rider, instructor, or seasoned biker would start with
That's exactly my point, poindexter.
THIS THREAD started with the 98mph question.
No, really. Read the fucking OP post.
You're right, no knowledgable rider would start with that, but that's what OP fucking asked.
THAT MEANS OP IS NOT KNOWLEDGABLE.

But please keep up the internet tough-guy routine. I'm sure your bravado and across-the-web threats are really convincing everyone of how hardcore you are.
>I still need to fuck off
Couldn't agree more.

You shouldn't be on a bike with that mentality. Kudos to you. I've avoided being sideswiped, rear ended, pulled in front of, and countless road conditions that could have been life altering. I paid attention, used my head, mirrors, brakes, ability, and common sense of what I can and can't do on my bike to survive and keep riding. Before you get skill, you have common sense, understanding of your ability, knowing your limits, and where and when you need to move.

Bob that bitch out

For a first bike that looks good. How many miles does it have on it?

Oh, you so hard big boy. Please tell us more about how hard you are.

Don't provoke him, user, he has A CREW.

I've only spoken to safety. I just didn't use scare tactics. Tell me you didn't speed on your bike. Right. Everyone will. Everyone did. Now, address it. It will fucking happen. But when it does, be smart. Safe as possible. Use fucking sense. Be aware. Offense and defense. I didn't make to 40 by not taking chances or risks. I made of by being smart about it. Knowing what I'm into. And how I can get out if it. Life is risk. And I don't need to prove to anyone my toughness. Take what you like or not. But keep your shitty little scare tactics over in your miserable little world. Had I been 10 years younger and still single, I'd gladly ride wherever you like and meet to politely discuss this in person. :-) but now my boy's dinner is done and it's time to go show him some riding skills. Unless you'd like to call him to "scare" him into how to ride a bike. Fucking twinkie. Enjoy your IQ, safety knowledge, and whatever else tickles your testicle. No, I didn't forget the "s". You clearly only have one.

Are you as hard as this bad ass? I bet you're not!
youtube.com/watch?v=wtofbxmlv8Y

I was the one filming the non TV portions. Fucking small world! Not tough. But definitely filmed him. Lol

Your dumb as fuck if your looking at a bike like that to speed. My car is faster in every way and it's a big ol bitch. That's a nice bike to ride and enjoy the ride. Go get a zx10r if your trying to go fast. That was my first bike it'll put some hair on your balls or kill you either way your winning

The one I'm looking at has 17k

Lol, awesome. Okay I had a question about that parking lot wreck. Clearly the wreck is real but he still has his mic in his waist band. Who's idea was it to have him try to act like he was speeding off?

Not bad. Good beginner. Light. Responds easily. Don't listen to all the hating, fear speech. Do be smart, use sense, be safe, take a class/course, and when you do decide to be a little stupid on it, EVERYONE DOES, be as safe and smart about as you can. Know limits. Know your BUBBLE and how to get out of it if anyone gets in it.

>Tell me you didn't speed on your bike
My first was a Suzuki GN125. It couldn't speed. Well, maybe in a 35mph zone. And as luck would have it, I was going 35 when I got broadsided by a Buick making a left turn without looking.
I had a KZ440 that I never got street legal before moving away from home and bought my first GL1100 (an '83) in 1995. About six months later, I went off the road at about 40, lucky to land on soft grass so only minor scrapes. I won't waste my time listing all the minor accidents and near misses from other drivers not paying attention to their surroundings, because I know you won't listen to anything but your own bravado.
But I don't speed. I use my turn signals. I stay in my lane. I make room for anyone who needs to merge or change lanes. I look out for the cars that aren't looking out for me.
>I don't need to prove to anyone my toughness
>I'd gladly ride wherever you like and meet to politely discuss this in person
You clearly do need to. I'm the one who's willing to admit that driving recklessly scares me. You're the one arguing that driving recklessly proves you have balls. Maybe you just haven't had a close enough encounter with a semi yet, maybe you're too preoccupied with bragging to ever let caution seep into your head.
No skin off my ass either way. I'll be over here in reasonable-land where we realize that the speed limits are there for a reason. Enjoy your stay in badass-land and good luck proving to the telephone pole how tough you really are.

Unless you ride a Boss Hoss, you suck dicks 24/7.

You clearly aren't mature enough for a motorcycle. Don't get it unless you want to kill your self. That's coming from a experienced rider. It's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow. Start out with a 250 duel sport like the crf250l. It's a blast to ride and you can even learn on grass and dirt. Don't become another donorcycle joke.

Not at all. People (or Harley riders i should say) in talk shit about them because they are metric. But in all honestly the Japanese make the best bikes in the world. Keep up with scheduled matinence and it will run for ever.

I have a V-Strom 650. It's absolutely amazing. It's a bit tall for me, I had to pull the rubber stoppers out of the bottom of the seat so I can actually have a little bit of my foot on the ground. It's sporty and as comfortable as a cruiser.

I've watched my two friends slam into a semi. Going 200. Racing in an industrial zone. Trucker didn't know their speed and they didn't think through their race smartly. But it was their choice and no amount of fear talk would've stopped them. Dumb but undeniable. I chose not to race and feel for that trucker. I've had a friend drive off the road drunk. Lived. Looked bad forever though. Bad thinking. Forgot ability and common sense. I've wrecked dirt bikes plenty. But I accepted the risks and knew my abilities and my outs. I have had more near misses than I remember. But I've never preached to anyone I've taught to ride about those deaths, my ignorance, or my "bravado". I speak to knowledge, limits, ability, offense/defense (in that order), using the bubble, know your outs, and when/if you push limits, be aware and smart about it. Human nature is what it is. We wouldn't have racing, stunts, off-roading, or other events most watch but are afraid to do, if everyone stayed just under the limit. I'm not preaching ignorance or law breaking, I'm speaking to common sense and being smart. My path made me bolder, tough, harder, and a bit callous. This kid may be the next great free stylist, evil knieval, or drag racer. Or may hate it. So long as he knows limits, thinks, and reacts, he'll get there. you found yours, I found mine, God willing, he'll find his. I'd rather speak to ability and brains than limits and fear. This is 'Merica. OK, that last line was just to satisfy those wanting to hate on me. Ciao. Ice cream is done, boy wants to ride.

>First bike
>Wants to go fast
>Sounds like a kid

Ok buddy, let me teach you something. Go find a belt sander. Run it, and try to stop it with your face. That's what it is like to fall off a motorcycle.

I worked my way up to insanely fast motorcycles, and I knew how to respect the power. DO NOT fuck around or you will be in loads of pain.

Wear your gear, even when it's brutally hot outside.

I gave up motorcycles after getting hit by a textaholic fuckface who blew a red light, launched me and my $20k bike, and then proceeded to drive off.

Be prepared for a level of dumbfuckery you have never experienced before. I have almost been killed so many times it's disgusting.

Anyways, have fun adding to a bad statistic

oh hey, thanks for that authoritative advice Mr. Man

X-)

>My path made me bolder, tough, harder,
>I don't need to prove to anyone my toughness
Right.
That's why you keep bragging about it.
>So long as he knows limits
Which is why I'm telling him that surviving an impact at 98 is outside his limits. F=M*A.
You can't intimidate the laws of physics. If you think it's somehow honorable or noble that your friends got themselves killed doing exactly what I'm warning this guy is deadly, you're...
Wait....
Do you even realize that I didn't tell him not to do it? I just told him that if he fucks up he dies. Isn't that what you just got all mushy about your buds for?
Do you even reading comprehension?

I have a 2001 marauder. Love it.

Air cooled Vtwin cruisers are slow, doesn't matter what CC's they have.

800 on a vtwin isn't bad.

Its the 600cc+ I4's and supersports that are bad for beginners.

Thanks everyone for Thier input I'm seriously thinking hard about buying the bike and going to take the class for safety reasons.

>going to take the class for safety reasons.
This is best idea, no matter what bike you choose.
Be careful, and good luck.
(and watch out for that idiot in front of you)