Joining the army soon. Anything important I should know?

Joining the army soon. Anything important I should know?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aUc62jD-G0o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Aim for the brown people

Do you actually think they would send me to an area where there was active combat? Most of the people I know inside are in very controlled areas like Korea and Qatar.

NEVER FALL AS SLEEP

Could you elaborate on that please.

Yeah don't sign your life away just because you don't know what to do left. Fuck your parents stay in the basement and do some soul searching

If you have a gf, dump her now. It will be easier than doing it after she inevitably fucks some nigger while you're away.

I've been in the basement already and I don't have a soul because I'm there. Time to man up and do something, even if it has to be this.

I've already taken care of that. She told me she wanted to stay together, she's a solid 9/10 no bias red head who is very loyal and supportive but I know once I do this I'll change and maybe not for the better.

you shower with 50 other guys at a time all naked no dividers

>mah insecurity

Yeah I don't really care about that to be honest. I'll be more specific though, what are some tips to make it through basic?

After like 2 years you hit a rank (E4) where you get to live off base and they'll pay your rent (look up BAH)

Get some roommates to pay rent inside a nice 3 bed house, you can afford to undercut everyone else and you'll still make a profit. Rent's paid, you get profit, literally money from thin air, and you get off base, no stupid barracks and shit squad bays and cleaning the stupid building and that bullshit. Also pick a job with civilian uses, go for things with security clearance (those are expensive to get as a civilian, high paid and highly sought after, but clearance expires) or using technologies that exist outside the military (communications technician, truck repair, welding, etc.)

There's a lot of opportunity to take advantage of stuff that can really pad your bank account

each star means you've taken 1000, 2000, or 5000 dicks up your ass.

don't ever fall asleep on your watch
you don't sound like army material, maybe try the marines with reading comprehension like that?

make friends, if they give you shit dont take it, but if the sergent does, take it or you will die

Why don't I sound like army material?

is this why the American flag has 50 of them?

Tip: Don't go Infantry during a no boots on ground policy. You'll end up partying and getting chaptered or article 15 for some stupid shit. Good old Garrison life.

Get ready your anus faggot!

youtube.com/watch?v=aUc62jD-G0o

Get a job, marry your girl and live a happy life dude. Don't go fight for oil in some foreign country in a war a bunch of rich old men started.

you are expendable for the rest of your life and your death if it is during work is pointless. Also you are working for worse world.

Thanks for the heads up man, I appreciate it.

No boots on ground? - Also I'm not really the party sort.

Thanks, but I'm going to do this anyway when I get out and I'll have money to do it then also.

The world couldn't get any worse for me in my opinion so I'm going to join in and contribute. I don't care what you believe but I think this is a good choice.

No boots on ground policy is making it to where we are no longer able to go on patrols or convoys. Basically. The closest thing someone will get to combat now is seeing a mortar round go off miles away from base because the Afghanis are too retarded to math. Now we just lend the Jordanian's our vehicles to go do all the fun stuff.

Also. Literally everyone parties in the military unless you are older and have kids. Even then, 99% of the people I knew with families would go out to a party and cheat all the time.

Well I won't say you're wrong but it just isn't the kind of life for me. I'm there to make money(I'm aware there are better ways). The last thing I want is to be discharged on some bs.

Just don't become a barracks rat. And by that, make sure you take some time to go out and do shit with your military friends. I've seen many kids that hate this shit because they never went out with others in the military. It will be a very long fucking time in here if you have no friends on the inside.

I appreciate the tip, I'll take that to heart. I don't think I'll have much trouble once I'm actually in but basic does concern me. Is it very difficult?

I just left the Army about a year ago. Almost the only people that didnt make it through basic were the ones that went out of there way to break the rules. Keep your head down, talk as little as possible. Only give the drill sgts yes or no answers if possible. start running, plus doing push ups and situps now. By the way, you dont make E4 until 3 years and you dont get to live off post until your married. Good luck.

Thanks man. Also is there any way of being promoted sooner?

Basic's not that bad, it's not hard if you understand that they are training you while keeping you under stress . They are just training you to handle stress

About half my friends served in the military. All of them said that they don't regret it but wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. Two of them almost got discharged for dumb bs but it's remarkably hard to get kicked out. My advice. get the shortest contract you can. If you enjoy it you can always reenlist. one of my buddy's got a six year and he has been waiting to get out since year three. I'm only on a 15 month DOD civilian contract and I have often thought about breaking it. Good luck Op

Yes basic is real difficult shit, you're going to hate every second, however it's a pretty short period of time that you can use to get over any negative habits that you have.

Basic is hard but you likely won't fail, what I mean by this is that the army has self interest in making sure that you pass, they give passes to fatfucks who don't deserve it a lot (they get a harder time than everyone else, but they still pass) unless you very convincingly fuck everything up you should pass.

There are. you can get a waiver at about 2 years if you are a stellar soldier. plus you can start at E2 if you pass the PT test before you leave for basic. When I went in they also had an online deal that could get you another rank if you completed it. Do both those and you can enter as an E3.

Basic is easy. Make sure you are in shape. If the Drill Sergeants remember your name, you are either a fuck up or PT stud. It's honestly more boring just being there rather than it being difficult. I was in Infantry basic for 14 weeks. You will probably choose a different MoS and only do 8-9 so it'll be even easier.

Dont fall asleep first also fuck army join navy

Are there any benefits to a two year contract?

I plan on working out for eleven months before joining starting sometime this month. I'm going to do my absolute best to be in peak physical condition and I also plan on watching their PT videos so I know what to expect. I want to outshine everyone but also be a good example. I'm not a teachers pet but I can get competitive and I like to be noticed.

>Joining the army soon. Anything important I should know?

You WILL be sent to the middle east no matter what bullshit the recruiter said about it being over.

You might end up dead.

Yes. When your first contract ends you can choose a different MOS or a different duty station. So its always better to start with the shortest contract you can.

I don't actually believe that's true. Four of my friends who joined got sent to Qatar and Korea, both of which were non-combat zones. I also don't mind 'end up being dead'.

your lack of basic grammar skills indicate you are probably a marine. or marine flunk out.

Why yes user I do. Boot camp is easy just don't be a pussy and you'll be fine boot camp is just one big mind game. Those guys get paid to be ass holes they're just normal people earning a paycheck by screaming at little boot camp children. Basic has gotten very soft it's honestly boring a lot of standing around and waiting for shit.

What do you recommend?

Thats a lie. I was in for 5 years and never left texas. I got out last year.

Also, get a job that will provide you with a TS security clearance. Will make civilian employers diamonds when you get out.

TS? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Kek

>So its always better to start with the shortest contract you can.

Don't listen to this faggot, the best way to do it is to get the longest contract you can. You get promoted faster this way and paid more, it's MATHEMATICALLY the correct decision.

The only thing is that you have to make sure that it's the correct choice as far as MOS, if you're uncertain what you'll be doing for your job, do more research, you'll likely score high on the ASVAB so you'll be able to choose.

>what if I get in and don't like what I'm doing
You didn't research your MOS properly if this is the case.

>>>k

Top secret

Thats more personel preferance. When you first sign up you dont get a say in were you end up. However you do get to choose your MOS. I recommend something that you can take to the civilian workforce. IE, mechanic, welder, or even logistics which is an office job.

You are fucking retarded. You do realize the Obama made it to where we can't go in real combat zones anymore right? We are literally lending the Jordanian's our equipment.

TeamSpeak

Hillary will change that when she wins

Realy? You do not get promoted faster based on how long you signed up for. I WISH I could of signed a shorter contract. Alot of people dont even do there job while they are in (like me). So you are wrong on both acounts. Did you even serve?

You don't mind being dead? Op is truly a selfless beta faggot

Well I'd be dead doing something more than jacking off in a basement, what's your excuse neet?

If you really do have this attitude of "outshining and setting an example for others" then I would suggest that you opt for an 18x contract.

That's a very long time but what I may consider doing is going for shorter contracts at first. If it is something I enjoy I'll opt for something more long term.

> anything I should know

You're a faggot.

You sound like a robot. In a cringe way. No wonder you're joining the army

Topkek??? You think Hillary will actually have the balls to go back to wartime? The bitch is trying to take away guns stateside. Trump would be the one who gets shit that's needs to be done, done.

hillary is a warmonger. everyone and their dog knows this

And here we are on Cred Forums no matter our profession. We're all robots.

Stop it. You're making me zozzle.

Maybe things were different from when you joined, but these days if you sign up for a longer contract you get promoted faster.

I got out last year. There is literally no ryme or reason you would get promoted faster for simply signing a longer contract. You have no clue what you are talking about.

You still evading responsibility by letting the military make your life decisions.

However, if you still want to remain a manchild, I would recommend Marines.

If you have any brains, talk to an Air Force recruiter first.

Just be calm m8. Army is getting softer. When I was in basic shit was easy. People failed basic because they don't train you enough. Don't be discouraged during the first week. It's literally nothing but shots and paperwork. Once basic actually starts, when your sent to your respective drill srgt etc. Then it becomes fun. But do not fuck up on that day they make you say the army code and what not. It's how they find the fuck ups. Get passed that, don't fuck up and reply with nothing but yes sir or no sir and your good. As for after basic, it's pretty much down hill. My friends sis was sent to South Korea and she might actually move there because of chill.

Also if wondering I was sent to Fort Sill or fort chill. Was a 13 fox aka fister

1. There's a really good chance you will be shot at.
2. Being shot at is the first step in being shot.
3. Any explosive device is not your friend once primed.
4. Treat all officers like explosive devices.
5. You may see someone die. That person may or may not be your friend. You may be the reason they die. You may believe you're ok with that, but there's a good chance you may not be. Its an unfortunate part of the job.

6 years in, got promoted, got demoted, got shot at, got blown up, saw a few people die. I think I've about covered the important parts.

Do 4 years and reevaluate what you want out of the military. You can always extend or reenlist if you aren't a piece of shit.

If you want to be a grunt, think very carefully about it. Otherwise, every other MOS is pretty easy compared to the lot of an infantryman. You won't have many options as a civilian though. I was an 0311 and had friends from college working in insurance so I didn't struggle with finding a new career.

Jocko podcast

Thank you very much man. I'll remember that.

Do you regret any of it apart from seeing people die?

Do you get any permanent benefits once you get out?

It might be depending on the person. I've seen alot of Infantry get good paying gigs around me. Then again I've only met a few.

Alternate solution: Draw eyeballs on your lids.

Because you're asking questions instead of following orders without asking.

No problem. I understand life can be difficult at times and army seems like it's the only option. Go in because you want to, not because you have to. If you go in with utter hate for it, you'll never enjoy it. Or maybe you will. I can be wrong. In basic you are given the option to quit. You'll lose alot of your pay but you can, at least during first week. Don't be that person.

Just the GI bill. Some people get disability from combat related injuries. If you retire from the military at 20 years, you'll get a percentage of your salary and retirement benefits through the military. If you're smart and make TSP contributions, you can roll it over to a 401k when you start working for a company that participates in it.

You shoulda gone air force

I'm not going to quit.

Well trips deserves a response. I'm not going air force but not out of any dislike for it. I was adopted and was really close with my grand father while he was alive and I'd like to follow in his footsteps.

Everyone is an idiot who will eventually get you killed. Gunfire hurts if it hits you. Explosions have blast waves. Combat is loud. There's no direct combat anymore. If it seems like it it's a trap. As the industry tries minimum effort, maximum effect so does the military - you're expandable. People won't share valuable information on their own. Things may not work as intended. If there's a problem you may be fucked.

This is true for every situation though, not just the military, but thank you.

I guess what I mean is that you have to be open to starting a totally different career if you don't have the goods or desire to take your skill set over to a contracting firm. There were a hand full of Marines I knew that made the most out of the GI bill and set themselves up well for the future. The rest were blowhard idiots who thought they'd be hired immediately for contracting work. The others became cops or went back to their hometowns and worked blue collar jobs.

European Corporal here, army life is the same everywhere, don't worry about what to do and what not to do.

Everything you need will be given to you and every thing you do will be a choice made by someone else, don't take things too seriously and keep calm when shit hits the fan.

Offer to help fellow recruits with making the bed and keeping the lockers organized, pick up trash whenever you find it and keep your gear clean, higher ranks will notice your actions and you'll have a much nicer time in training.

Also the sound of 50 men taking a shit at the same time is something you never forget.

> regret
Yes and no. I got a good civvy career out of it, did a lot of schooling while I was in. Came out pretty well adjusted and relatively uninjured... never going have kids of my own though.

But I had to do a few things I didn't like during my time. Split decisions and them-or-me scenarios, and I saw things no one should ever see, but yeah... that was a bad time and a bad place, not everywhere you might get deployed is like that.

Most all there of any rank are slimy cowards. Think kiss ass backstabing. Easy paycheck at wharever level equals complaciecy. Shit on your mates and turn in your ssgt at any opportunity, or create baits to trap the lazy fat fucks. Heed my words user and you will go far.

That last line made me believe everything you said.

Good. Stay strong and remain calm you'll be fine. Also they will try to sell you a DVD of your training to give to your family or friends. Do it. Fucking wroth it to see how you looked after the gas chambers. Trust. Last piece of advice I can give, at least during basic, don't get caught saying hoorah in the army. My battle buddy said it once to a d.s. fuck my life up good.

>Terminal lance confirmed

Can I say Deus Vult?

My favorite memory of boot camp was when we were at Edson range and everybody got fucking dysentery from the dirty chow hall (it was staffed by Mexicans and autists). My buddy woke up one morning to get on line, threw up, shit his pants, and passed out. Split his dome on the floor.

If your want. Meme aside a d.s. will probably call you a retard and make you kiss the floor or if you fuck up alot, they will make everyone kiss the floor instead and you'll regret that fast. You always get that one asshole who will try to fuck you because of it. Everyone will hate you but will get over it. That one asshole tho will act like you raped his mother.

This idiot

Lol sounds like gas day during basic. They fed us nothing but chili dogs or fries or burgers the day of. After, my God I rather bathe in lava. Probably would feel good after the shit and puke from that day.

What the actual fuck. That shit happens?

Yep. Thats one salty ass butthurt mother fucker.

Some of my DIs removed the seals on the filters of the problematic recruits. I never realized what they did until I had to take a CBRN course at battalion.

Yeah, right outside the front entrance of that chow hall there was a permanent part of the sidewalk that was always covered in puke. That place was fucking gross.

Sounds like good people. What the fuck did they do to deserve that? My d.s. would just make you sing stupid shit on the fly. Normally it's just cadences but one I herd had to sing a Katty perry song.

Heh... gas day.
Dunno how it is in other countries, but here with start without masks and have to get them on while the gas is being pumped in. About 4 of our guys had to be dragged out the front door afterwards.

We copped a lot of shit for that one. There was a lot of drilling for all of us for days afterwards.

Typical recruit things. One kid had peanut butter in his cargo pockets during initial drill and they never forgot about it. Another was a light duty warrior (his fat ass got carted up the Reaper and they still gave him an EGA). Another was the son of a Major and he made sure everyone knew it.

That does not make the statement false.

In the military, most trade in the currecy of fake patriotism.

Just like any other job, fuck everyone and look out for yourself. The odds are on your favor this way. Trade in quid pro quo favors.

Be ready to rat out anyone, your promotion depends on it.

If you're cool with being labeled as a buddy fucker and having no friends, fine. You don't have to be patriotic to not be a fucking douchebag.

Ours was similar. Basically eat chili cuz fuck you. Then we enter the chamber without mask, like you said, then we put the on and enter next room where they snap these tablets in your face one by one without mask and make you repeat your rank etc. If the d.s. hates you he will make you do dumb shit. One of the girls fucked up so bad we had to start all over. Fuck that day. Fuck that room. They had us shower by being hosed down before drills. I must admit tho. Everything smelled better after.

I never got why people took contraband. They fed us regularly and well. There was a black market for that shit in thevery bays. If you had cigarettes people would suck dicks for that. Oh man that reminds me of the portarico wars. My platoon was filled with non English speaking portaricans who hated gay people. To the point they will threaten to kill you if you called them game. There was a mosh pit once in the bay because of this. It was nutts. This war lasted up until 3rd phase of basic before the d.s. caught on. I will never forget those bastards and naked shower party day

Yeah. That was kinda considered the proving. If you made it through ok, you were upgraded from puke to maggot.

I also did a CQB course. They shoved us into this dark room, told us we were doing some nught vision training, going through a maze and shit with our goggles. So we put on our googles and they started pumping in gas. That wasn't a lot of fun... getting unexpectantly gassed while navigating a pitch-black maze.