Is it a good idea to do construction without steel toe boots...

Is it a good idea to do construction without steel toe boots? I got offered a job doing construction and when I told her I don't have construction boots she looked concerned. How risky is it? I'm not sure if I should go now

It's a liability issue for both you and your employer. Go to WalMart and buy a $20 pair.

I have no money at all that's the problem. I have non slip shoes but they're sneakers.

Your boss is a woman?
>tip your fedora
>turn 360°
>walk away

It was a temp agency she works there. She's telling me to go to the interview/hire this place has going on

When heavy things start falling on your feet, as they always do in construction, you are going to regret it.

borrow some money, would of thought it would be breaking health and safety regulations to not have steel cap boots on

My mom only has 5 dollars lol but if the shoes I have don't work I'd rather not risk it then

definitely do not do the job without boots. it's not worth it to get hurt. check out some local resources like a thrift store or salvation army, maybe get ahold of your local neighborhood center or catholic charities if cash is that much of an issue. you could get some temporary assistance until you can pull yourself up by your...bootstraps...;D

First time you drop a 5gal bucket that is heavy as fuck on your foot...your stupid ass will be limping to Wally-World for them 20$ boots

Pretty much every time ive dropped something on my foot its landed behind the steel toe cup. Fucking sucks. Good idea bad implementation.

If you have to ask that question then maybe construction is not for you

This.

When I worded as a laborer I literally couldn't even go on-site without steel toe shoes. First day I wore sneakers and carried my boots and had to change outside the gate.

Saw plenty of times when steel toe boots saved a guy and once when it didn't.

for real OP, if you could give us what town or general area you live in, i'd be willing to look up some places that could help you out

What do you think faggot

What's her name?

No clue

Alright I guess I'll let her know I'm not going. I had a feeling it would be a bad idea but I just wanted to be sure, thanks user

Depends what kind of construction? I do concrete and I don't like steel toes. If a tractor ever goes over my foot I'd rather have crushed toes then chopped off toes. I think you'll be fine until your first payday, just don't be a dumbass

Demolition

That's not construction you dumbass it's destruction

Call employer. Ask if you need your own PPE and if your site has a requirement for steel toe caps. Most at least require hardened boots where I am but can't speak for the world.

You might be able to beg a loaned pair from your employer if you genuinely can't afford them - ask. Shows initiative.

Except steel toe'd boots probably wouldn't have helped in the case of this picture, based on where the bone is broken.

I wear them at work though and they're definitely helpful - dropping random shit on your feet happens more than you'd think

But wouldn't I still need boots for it?

So it's true that something SERIOUSLY heavy will really fuck your toes up when the steel inside the boot crushes, but for standard construction jobs or factory jobs that aren't inside a Steel Mill this is rare.
I find that they have helped more often than i thought.

asfdda

Just buy some you crazy fuck, what do you prefer, to owe someone 20 bucks or have a foot amputated?

Construction superintendent fag here, if you don't have work boots, you won't be let on site. Also steel toe can go both ways: I've seen it save feet, and cut them in half.

Sauce

>not living in a country where the employer provide you with steel toed boots for such jobs

For awhile yea, your going to want some eventually just set some cash aside every week and buy a pair down the road

Also sauce?

she was probably concerned you werent willing to spend 20 bucks to get a job. or she may have thought you meant you dont have any boots and thought you were a little slow.

damnit op we answered your fucking questions! now Sauce!!

This ffs

And get stuck with something shitty?

No thanks I'd rather have my Keen Pittsburghs

>Except steel toe'd boots probably wouldn't have helped in the case of this picture, based on where the bone is broken.

except they would, because the toe cap will catch the bottom of the bucket and offset the weight. it's not like the bottom of a bucket is a point. being a square foot or so, the steel toe would catch the brunt of the weight.

Point taken I'm saying, you can drop shit behind the steel and it sucks.

Charlie sweets

Oh fuck ya

Something shitty? In Sweden we're provided with high quality work boots, we don't skimp on safety

Kek mine buys them for me.

8" with composite metatarsals.

The very notion of working on a construction, industrial, or even commercial site without proper ppe is laughable and shouldn't even be considered.

Thank you.
seriously op just work through a couple pay checks setting aside money till you can afford a pair thats what I did. i know some guys who only wear shoes.

Dancing with the devil with 2 left feet

What?

That guy is clearly from the south

You go to work but can't get boots or have money for boots and without work u can't afford them.

The first few days on the job are the most dangerous cause you don't know shit.

You hurt yourself you're fucked. You don't work ur fucked. Other jobs pay less.

Dancing with the devil with 2 left feet.

And this is why proper employers provide ppe to their employees.

It's called chit.

I dunno what nigger country you live in but find a better job.

start a go fund me website for the boots. All the anons will kick in for you bro. We're here for you.

ye dude drop your e-mail and we'll send you paypal money

You may hurt yourself. Go to Walmart, they're under $40. Ask for a small cash advance to buy the boots. They should take you up on it since it's work related. Good luck OP.

Are you being serious? I thought that shit only works for sick people and hot chicks. Nobody is going to donate to a functional healthy male

depends on the job really. framing and shit like that or site cleanup you really dont need em.

Get a credit card

It's OP samefagging trying to get some shekles

If you can't afford boots your shit out of luck, get another job

Horse shit. But hey you don't need your feet right stumpy?

I have cards but they're all maxed out

Even my checking account is negative lol

what the fuck are you going to drop your hammer on your foot? a 2x4 weighs nothing. steel toe is for heavy construction like steel and concrete.

What about demolition?

he needs a pair of boots to be functional. Otherwise he is just another leech on society. His said his mother only has five dollars to her name. c'mon bro Cred Forums is about sharing and caring.

You only frame with 2x4s? No nails longer than 1/4"? Even hold a fucking air hammer?

Get the fuck outta here you dumb shit and remove yourself from the gene pool with your stupidity.

This

you want steel toes for demo, sharp shit all over the place nails sticking up, shit falling all over the place, kicking stuff off of walls, dragging shit onto the trucks..lots of hazards. you have gloves?

Most "contruction" workers don't wear steel toe because they're heavy keep in mind most are niggers and also smoke weed on the job...I always wore mine in fear of said niggers fucking something up and dropping shit on my feet.

I had the same situation as you..what i did was open a bank account which i needed to do anyway and they gave me $100 for doing so, went to the store and got a pair of GOOD boots not shit cheap ones, steel toe and non slip still have them to this day used them for about 4 different jobs use them for shoveling snow and bought new ones incase i ever work a shitty trade job again.

where do you live because osha doesnt require steel toe boots for light construction.

Did it in Ontario and Sask. OH&S here says you do.

But then in the states you don't need to be a journeyman to work with over 750 volts so that's saying something too isn't it?

Well if you're that poor, you should put some steel inside your shit shoes

I once knew a guy who tested out his new steel toe boots by trying to stop a freight elevator with them. He has five toes now. Retard was a superintendent.

just saying he can get the job without steel toes if its light construction.

But why would you do it as a greenhorn, or at all? One mistake and one could be benched for life.

You'll be fine. Just be careful.

Well no, it does what it says, protects your toes.
Putting metal in the instep would make them uncomfortable and not particularly flexible.
Although I 100% feel your pain. Always dropping stuff on ny instep.

Best use I get out of my steelies is resting heavy stuff on the end or using the cap as a leverage underneath stuff.
I guess they'd stop me amputating my toes with the tail lift.

dropping a board on your foot isnt going to kill you. and if you shoot a nail into your foot you deserved it. Also he's poor

Then it'll just be a matter of natural selection, and furthermore he has to work so he can work keeping him poorer, longer. This is why it's wrong for employers to not provide ppe.

its also wrong to turn down a job because you didnt have steel toe boots when it isnt required.

>has no money
>posting from computer/phone

It's the choice OP has to make.

Still blows big Harambe hog.

FFS, we're trying to help you, but you're obviously garbage that wants any fucking excuse not to get a real job. Don't bother with the boots, just kill yourself.

No I don't want to fuck myself up for a low paying job

You're also provided with a shitton of rapefugees.

Anyway, gettin' back on rails. OP - you should really, and I mean really get those. I once saw a man that was operating a grinder. Dumb fuck laid it down while it was spinning, thing kinda jumped from the desk and almost cut his foot in half. He was on the operating table for about 4 hours. A lot of steel to hold bones in place, handful of seams to stitch tendons and skin. But that's not the worst. The worst is that he has to remove the steel after a year (unimaginable discomfort) and his first rehab will take approx. 24 weeks (quarter with his leg no lower than the thigh + quarter of actual rehab when one has to learn how to walk again) and the 2nd one will take about 8 weeks. About 32 weeks from 52 in a year wasted.

ausfag chippy here - i wear volleys lel

You want a pair of Herman Survivors. Been wearing the same pair for two years, put hundreds of miles on them. To be fair, I had them resoled once, but they have held up the best out of any boots I've had. Without steel toed boots, you're asking for injury on a job site. For cheap, you can grab either a pair of surplus military boots or a pair of Brahma boots from your local Walmart. Look for a steel shank in the sole, saved my food from nails more than once.

dont forget your gloves. ;)