Ask a college professor anything. I will only be on for 20 more mins

Ask a college professor anything. I will only be on for 20 more mins.

Other urls found in this thread:

therapyshoppe.com/category/1052-fidget-toys-classroom-fidgets-focus-concentration-toys-tools),
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

bump

this thread sleeps with the fishes.

best part of job?
worst part of joB?

Well, what do you teach? Do you have a TA?

The best part of the job is not really being told what to do.

The worst part of the job is the shittest students. They take up most of the time and end up failing out anywho.

Would you recommend it as a profession? Also what subject?

Hey user, do you enjoy what you do?
What do you teach?

Extra credit question: Dumbest thing you've had a student do in class?

I teach chemistry, general and physical chemistry. I do not have a TA.

Do you have your PhD? Any recommendations on good PhD fields? What do you do during the summer?

Anything in STEM. When I left undergrad, these were the only people I knew who got jobs that they could not have had before going to college.

whats your personality type?

I love what I do. It is the best job in the world.

I teach general and physical chemistry.

The dumbest thing I have ever had a student do in my class is fall sleep right in the front row of a lecture of 140 students. I had all the other students start clapping and cheering. It messed with the kid and he tried to get me in trouble. The admins just laughed at him.

wuts ur degree in?
how much do you make?
do u have phd? if so how many publications did u had tomake to get the job?

I do have a Ph.D. Honestly, getting a Ph.D. is a lot of time and most of the people I know who have one had to go through crippling depression to get it.

In the summers I do research, travel, and sleep in a ton.

INTJ

My degree is in chemistry. I make approximately 55k. I do have a Ph.D. I have 19 publications.

Thanks for answering all these questions!

I love teachers, and you guys might be underappreciated but there's a ton of us who get super inspired by teachers in so many different ways and never tell them. You're making a difference as long as you aren't a miserable toad with no passion

I also suggest not going into the Humanities or Arts. In the sciences\engineering\maybe math you get paid to get a Ph.D. In other fields you have to pay. That is only for trust fund kids.

im 29 trying to get a degree in physics, but ihavent been able to because hdd and laziness.
mostly lziness though.
what ar my chances of finally getting a phd and a job like yours?

Thanks broh! Honestly I really do not care about being appreciated. No one really is.

My passion is just teaching chemistry to students. I really enjoy doing chemical demonstrations, but I also enjoy teaching people about the strangeness of quantum mechanics. I also like LoL a lot, hunting, biking, and chilling with my family when I am not working.

Limited if you are lazy. Degrees in physics require raw natural talent, and tenacity. If you do not have those chances are you will fail at both. To be honest, if you can get a BS in physics, the you could get a Ph.D. It is quite different though because a Ph.D. is research based where you have no idea what the answer is... rather than course based.

Fun fact I not only have a BS in chemistry but also physics. My Ph.D. is in quantum chemistry.

How old are you? Have you ever taught overseas? Did you always want to be a college professor, or was it something you fell into after something else?

Astronomy is not. Academia and industry both find this degree useful.... however it does not mean what you are trained in is where you will end up.

dood ive been tryng to get bs since im 18. and im smart as fuck but i have very little concentration and instead of following the teacher im class i end up thinking stuff on my own so i get idetracked a lot. cant study on my own for the same reason.

but im willing to dedicate my whole life to this, i actually ant to go into biophysics in the end

I am 28.

I have not taught overseas.

I originally wanted to be a ceramic engineer or a mortician (lol). But then I went to a college for a week to get out of highschool (their swim team was trying to recruit me). I ended up liking the chemistry faculty, so I went there for a BS. After about my 3rd year, I knew I wanted to be a college professor, but I would have done anything to live in my hometown. I just got lucky and got to accomplish both.

First, you have to stop making excuses. Only you can get that degree. Get more sleep, play with a fidget during class (therapyshoppe.com/category/1052-fidget-toys-classroom-fidgets-focus-concentration-toys-tools), and study. How much do you study a day?

1hr lol or less, u should see my steam profile.
also thks for thetip on those toys, might actually work

Get checked for ADHD

also don't be down on yourself for 29 and no bs, i'm in the same exact boat as you, started at 18, except procrastination and taking care of my stroke-ailed father have kept me back. Lost financial aid a few times and had to drop out, then my father had a stroke 6 years ago and everything went pear-shaped. Supposed to be my last semester right now but I had to drop out again because of gaps in availability with his nurse aides again. One day!

lol This is why. You need to study at least 1 hour per day per class to master physics. It takes a ton of practice.

This too. It's amazing how many excuses I make with my situation, I'm just learning to overcome making them.

It is always sad to see when this happens to students. As a professor I try my best to do anything I can to help students out who have outside issues.

It is ok. We all get there at some point. Mine got me there when I moved cinder blocks for 60 hours a week as a job during college. I knew I did not want to do that anymore.

Looks like we are on our way to page 10. I will give it 10 more mins.

Just came in here to say, sorry I slept through all your classes.

Also; are you one of those teachers that asks a question, but when no student answers you pretend like it was rhetorical?

i do have. every docto, psycologist and any kind of mind/brain professional has diagnosed my adhd.

also i have tken tests on the internet on my own and also tell me i have adhd every time. i had been treated all my childhood with ritalin. so im pretty sure i do have adhd. alo im an intp dunno if that matters

No. I pretty much sit there until it gets answered.

I had a bunch of profs like this, and by the time I finally figured out how to word what I wanted to say they had moved on

Yeah it happens. But it is best that you figure out what you want to say, even if you do not say it. I only judge people about the work they do, not the answers they give.

And it is good for you to go through the thought process. Most people do not do that.