Who fought with the YPG in Syria? Been seeing a few posts here and there from persons who participated in offensives...

Who fought with the YPG in Syria? Been seeing a few posts here and there from persons who participated in offensives. I've always been a student of warfare but never nutted up for various reasons. Just incredibly hard to get first hand accounts as you could imagine.

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.twitter.com/arbetarsolidare
villagevoice.com/news/a-hello-to-arms-a-new-generation-of-steely-gazed-anarcho-communists-head-off-to-syria-8705087
rojava.se/kontakt/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

if you are serious i could link twitter accounts that can point you in the right direction OP

completely serious. that would suffice in lieu of direct accounts relayed through this shithole. i'll take what I can get

theres this guy ive been following on twitter, he's a bit zany but knows a lot
mobile.twitter.com/arbetarsolidare

many westeners seem to join ypg through "lions of rojava", read this article for example: villagevoice.com/news/a-hello-to-arms-a-new-generation-of-steely-gazed-anarcho-communists-head-off-to-syria-8705087

their twitter and facebook accounts seem to be down though, i can try to search social media for more info if you keep the thread bumped

i'll be here. always fantasized about joining up but it was nothing more than a fantasy. the imaginings of PTSD and sweat soaked sheets from nightmares kept me from ever doing so either with our military or otherwise. I have heard a bad story where an American joined up with a Kurdish unit but Islamists in the area (ISIS or another not sure) had a bounty on him. Kurds tried to turn him in. I never got specifics but he joined another unit. Can't for the life of me remember where I read it at.

seems to be YPG's "official" facebook:
facebook.com(slash)YPG

another less official page with lots of links:
facebook.com(slash)TheRojavaRevolution

mind you i cannot confirm any legitemacy of these pages and id suggest you'd be cautious and do your research as this is a very serious thing youre thinking about. if you do decide to go through with it though, then you are a goddamn hero

much appreciated user. it seems most of the former combatants are lurking here in the early a.m. most likely because some are from different continents. I wish I could do such a thing. Once I could properly conceive of it I realized the badassery of these dudes. Venturing into the fray as free agents fighting a common enemy of humanity. No flags apart from their Kurdish counterparts. Serious business

I'm 61, I did for 3 years. I served in Lebanon back in the day too. Don't go doing that crap.

I know better. Just enough to keep me from doing it. After reading so much war literature I have learned the baggage is far more cumbersome than any "glory" or thrills obtained. Have any stories to impart good sir?

yeah the amount of bravery required to actually go down to such a hazardous enviroment and face off with one of the most barbaric creations in modern time takes an insane amount of balls. from what ive hears the folks in rojava also need help rebuilding civil society, so theyre probably in need of medics and the liked even if you dont fancy combat. i had apart in a fundraiser for a medical center in rojava for example. the funds went to this group which has a contact email if you want to go down there and help: rojava.se/kontakt/
[email protected]
(its in swedish but im sure you can get an english reply if you message them)