What is the point of divisions in NFL (or any american sport for that matter)?

What is the point of divisions in NFL (or any american sport for that matter)?

For me, it gets boring when my team has 8 games against the same opponents every single year. What's the point of this? MUH rivalries?

I think it would introduce more parity and be more interesting if every single year the divisions were randomized, similar to group pulling in soccer, but you still play 8 "out of division" games.

conferences would remain, but the divisions would be shaken up every year.

WHO SAYS NO? (and why)

>What's the point of this? MUH rivalries?

Yes, every team playing a bunch of other random teams every year would actually be more boring.

because unlike europe america isnt the size of disneyland and it would be expensive and time consuming to travel

its not like any of the divisions are really that close together. at least the NFC west wasnt until this season. the NFC east has the fucking cowboys for some reason.

Ok, I watch out for my team and my team only. Super boring.

With divisions, I watch how the others are doing and cheer against them. Now regular season games actually mean something other than a small fraction of your win percentage.

there still would be divisions.

instead of the NFC west with niners, cardinals, rams, and seahawks, a division could be 49ers, cowboys, vikings, saints. or any combination really. you'd still play each team twice, but it would change every year.

You mean 6 games out of 16?

No, 8.

4 teams in the division
teams play each other twice
4*2=8

>american education

you dont play yourself you daft retard

NFL should work with round robin. Everybody versus everybody twice home and away. 62 matchdays with pure emotion.

dumbass, there is four teams in each division but each team plays the other 3 teams twice.

Do this with no IR and hard roster cap. The team with the most players left at the end wins.

Maybe make two divisions switch conferences every year, or every two years?

AFC North for the NFC North for example, that could give very interesting playoff and Super Bowl matchups.

>when MY team has 8 games against the same opponents every single year

I know you aren't OP but do teams in the CFL actually play against themselves twice a year too? I'm trying to get to the root of your confusion :')

Because we would all love to watch Jags vs Browns 4 times a year

>teams can play against themselves

but, the pure emotion

A

Its got its advantages, but a better system could be made. Divisions could be randomized every year.

that's literally what it says in the OP

I agree.

Our season was ruined cause of this bullshit.

Fuck the Rangers.

Fuckin' leafs.

Either this is some Aus grade bait or you really are a retard

>checks flag

Leafs..everytime..

>Randomize the divisions
>Browns end up in a division with the Patriots and Broncos and still end up with the Steelers

mitebcool

Redskins vs. Cowboys is a "storied" rivalry. IIRC, it goes back to the early 60s, when they were the only teams in the South. Since then, they've always been in the same division.

>Canadians assuming that everyone plays with themselves

That might well have been the case in the trains & buses era. But a 1500 mile plane flight is no more of a problem than a 500 mile plane flight. It's all charter flights anyway.

So back to the first argument of "keep it together otherwise my feelings would be hurt"?

>more parity

you realize what we have going on in north american sports is the most parity we've ever had right?

Divisions don't matter in the NBA and NHL since half the teams make the playoffs

travel cost and time spent travelling and rivarlies