thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/the_history_of_rome/2007/07/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=-Li65P_3lvM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Literally the GOAT war movie right here
potentially 2nd

full metal jacket

come and see

cross of iron

I don't know if it counts as a movie, but I just finished Our World War. 3 hours split over 3 episodes. I kinda wish there was more WW1 content out there.

something i really like is WW1 horror, but I only know of one movie and one video game series that does something like that. Deathwatch (2002) and Necrovision, respectively.

There's always this.

Army Dog (2016)

Stalingrad.
Das Boot.

Pic related is not a movie, but recommended.

Way too underrated to be honest

Dis nigga got it in one

>stalingrad
1993 yes?

I'll never understand

they locked all those poles/ruskies in to die, but they let him climb out the window

>no fmj
im disappointed

This.

Anyone that thinks this movie is merely pretentious didn't get it. Not even memeing, just setting the record straight before shit posters and contrarians come.

Well that didn't take long

>no fmj

keep looking mate its up there ;)

Platoon
We were soldiers
Paths of glory
Big red One
Das Boot
Lost Batallion
Joyeux Noel
All quiet on the western front
Saving private ryan

I like Cred Forums today

>Saving Private Ryan
>underrated
???????????

They needed to give him more opportunities to make the same face with different shit on it.

>dat crane shot over the harbor

Tora Tora Tora

It's trash
>inb4 muh artsy war film

Classics not yet mentioned:
>Apocalypse Now
>Deer Hunter

Recent:
>Black Hawk Down
>Hurt Locker
>Letters from Iwo Jima/ Flags of our Fathers

Fuck you I liked it tier:
>Enemy at the Gates
>Lone Survivor

Meh tier:
>Fury

Shit:
>American Sniper

pic related: it'll always be one of the best

>Only American shit.
consider suicide .

also shit:
>Pearl Harbor

Fury was way worse and overcolored than American Sniper.

>enemy at the gates
>fury
>american sniper
>classics

A-are you stupid?

Enemy at the Gates is classified as 'Fuck you I liked it', Fury as 'meh', and AS as 'shit'. Can you even read?

Hey what about movies about pre-XX century wars?

Well pleb'd

youtube.com/watch?v=pCLzHvPdSrE

Well, that's all the war movies I've seen, and I didn't mention the ones previously mentioned on the thread like Das Boot.

Also, Enemy at the Gates is from the UK, only contact with America was with Paramount, who distributed it.

Has anybody seen this yet?

Episode 1 was shit and I was so disappointed.

Lawrence of Arabia
Bridge Over the River Kwai
A Bridge Too Far
The Great Escape

>literally shit tier aussie banter

It gets outclassed by M*A*S*H

what movie is this?

Have you watched the film or just that clip?

Come and See

>Come and See
thx m8

this russian kino

youtube.com/watch?v=L77BSBKvMJk
Not exactly a war movie, but worth a watch.

Jarhead and Three Kings are pretty good as well.

At the begining I didn't want to watch this movie because I thought it will be fucking soviet propaganda. Even today propaganda is one of the main characteristics of Russian cinema.

When three kings was released there was a disclaimer on the opening for the people running the projectors or watching it at home that the colors are SUPPOSED to look washed out, it was an artistic decision, and there was nothing wrong with your tv.

Almost 20 years later and that shitty washed out aesthetic is the norm.

I don't know if it's god tier, but I fucking love pic related.

But AS was literally American propaganda, complete with lies about him and what he did.

Fury was at least entirely historical fiction.

Hurt Locker is shit.

Anyone watch Inside Combat Rescue?

Not a movie, but good content.

youtube.com/watch?v=8RZSlxCRnHw

it's too long to be good

Fucking YES!

I'll never watch that, because that was also the name of the biggest fucking faggot trip to ever post on .

Attack Force Z (1981)

Is that the guy from all is lost?

Also known as El Alamein 1942.
Italian movie so its a little cheap, after the first act it turns into Stalingrad/ Das Boot- Tier depressing Warkino.
8/10

That sounds like a well thought out reason not to watch one of Kubricks best films.

I know this is a remake, but its always been a go to comfy war movie for me. One tank crew against an entire german division, holed up at the only source of fresh water for hundreds of miles, and no way out.

The shootout at the finale is one of my all time favorites.

Nobody ever posts that one

it's shit

Thats it. Thats the one. A little cheesie at times but still, that's the way a war movie should be made.

Watch it, you faggot.

"War is hell" faggots step aside.

first mention of a bridge too far way underrated. it is by far one of the top three war movies in my opinion.
good choices on the others as well.except for the great escape, never seen it so i cant say.

I like how it cuts around to different characters. It keeps the story moving, and saves you from having to write an unbelievable rambo protagonist. Tora Tora Tora did it, as well as thin red line (which i would like a lot more without the obnoxious bookends).

Wars are won by a lot of people, and its cool to see that portrayed in movies.

>great escape
>never seen it
Well congratulations asshole, you just got assigned homework. Don't come back until you watch it. Thank me later.

>Black Hawk Down

pure unadulterated propaganda

Underrated

Glory

So was Battleship Potemkin, what the fuck does that have to do with anything?

whatabouttery

this.
War movies can be fun, too.

>No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country
>You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country
Fucking Ike and Monty.

>do nothing and get called a hero the movie.

Also it's more whiny then a war is hell movie, the plot point about him slapping a soldier goes on for decades and he ruminates on it with every emotion imaginable. If Patton were alive today he'd write a blog about this shit that would never end.

FUCK YEAH SAHARA! I wasnt expeting that to pop up here. Most of the cast are noname actors but they make a pretty good job.
I remember watching it as a kid on a sunday afternoon, comfy as fuck. Too bad its so hard to find it in a decent quality nowadays.

That movie was trash

The nazis said "you can exit through this window, just leave your children behind"

Literally the best war movie of all time

>usa ww2 movie
>being better than meh
No, mate. Never happen and never will.

Just listened to ghosts of the ostfront last week, fuckin loved it. What other podcasts of his are good?

Aw man I didn't know this existed. Graham Kennedy, Bryan Brown and John jarrat? downloading when I get home.

All of them, listen to whichever topics interest you the most

Why aren't there more tank movies?

>odd angry shot

Weird... I saw this movie a couple of hours ago along with All is Lost... Pretty weird to be a coincidence desu...

Fury was really good. My best friends dad is a retired tank commander and he said it really nailed the feel of being in a tank, and the camaraderie between crew members. Apparently the film is a really big hit among tankers because they don't get a lot of war films.

who is this girl? I see her posted a lot.

Carlin is great, currently listening to his HH podcasts from the beginning. I'm caught up to Bubonic Nukes.

fight me

Blueprint for Apocalypse is a really good one on WWI. It gets pretty haunting when he reads firsthand accounts like pic related.

>jews
I thought they were gypsies

Nothing you can say will make up for that farcical video game ending.

Thought this was more famous here?

seconded

Hamburger Hill

Letters from Iwo Jima is my favourite. Wonderful film.

We were solders once...and young

One of the best.

This

>Movie doesn't end with Patton's death

what the FUCK

So we're just ignoring the fact that it misrepresented the entire fucking battle it was based on as well as completely mischaracterizing the Japanese and the natives?

>inb4 not a war movie

Nobody said shit against FMJ.

Blueprint for Armageddon is GOAT

that movie fucked me up bad man
kino as bro

the action scenes are fucking GOAT

I got 1/3 of a way through Midway. What's the general consensus of this film? I found it verrrry slow.

Die Brücke

>'This event occurred on April 27, 1945. It was so unimportant that it was never mentioned in any war communique.'

The Train

> "A painting means as much to you as a string of pearls to an ape."

One of my personal favorites.

first post best post

how has nobody mentioned Zulu yet? that is a total classic

Another total classic.

both good movies. i especially love das boot. i love that it is slow paced and more character and narrative driven than a typical action film.

He did a lot, and fought for glory AND duty. If he were alive today he'd be wanting all out total war against China and Russia.

Hell Montgomery and Ike were total faggots compared to him, more inclined to act like politicians than generals leading men to their deaths

>implying wanting to star a world war with two nuclear armed countries is a good thing. not to mention on of those countries has more people than we have bullets.

that actually makes him sound more of a lunatic than a good leader.

Trial on the Road
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_on_the_Road

Boring as hell desu, only interesting part was the invasion of Normandy at the beginning.
And don't call me a pleb for saying that, it's rather that I'm too patrician.

"Bullion? Like the little things you use to make soup?"

Great movie.

Just finished the Death Throes of the Republic Series, his six part account of the fall of the Roman empire.
>Last episode is over five hours
The mad man.

Villains who literally did nothing wrong.

does this count as a war movie?

You are all wrong. You have forgotten about the greatest ww2 movie ever made. Tankova Brigada.

>made just after the war
>real weapons firing real bullets
>real flamethrowers
>real uniforms
>actual veterans

No safety regulations allowed.

youtube.com/watch?v=rui6iHC9Rms

delet

Bridge on the river Kwai is jolly good.

What about Tae Guk Gi?

youtube.com/watch?v=Vqb_DzL8xmw

Rescue Dawn.

>YOU PROMISED YOU'D COME BACK

you are all living in denial

Even better.

>Implying thats enough.
If you want a more indepth look of the history of rome here is a link to a podcast with 179 episode on rome all about 20ish minute or more long.
thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/the_history_of_rome/2007/07/index.html

but it was all true, german vets watched it and said it wasn't even as bad as what they really did.

Noone mentioned this?

Great idea, execution was lacking

Reminds me of Bill Wilson's transformation in "The Birds, The Frogs, & The Mosquitoes".

My favorite

Thanks, though I was aware, it got added on my ever increasing podcast backlog when Mike Duncan appeared as a guest on the History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps, along with two other guests with podcasts I need to start listening to one of these days it never ends

And even that wasn't as bad as what the Soviets and Soviet allies, many still fresh from Nazi war camps and abused occupied territory did when the marched towards Berlin. What happened then was described by some German survivors as "our holocaust". Only, nobody cared at that point.

That's kind of the point. It's a statement about the random and arbitrary nature of who lives and who dies in war.

Noone gives a fuck about nazis and nazi sympathizers, I wish the red army raped and murdered more of them

Underrated ones are,
Voyna/The War. Russian/Chechenkino.
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. One of the few great WWII movies made by the Japanese.

How are the mass rapes, murders, and expulsions from the Soviet side any worse than the German ones? Bad things happened to the Germans, but it wasn't anything that they didn't do themselves in Eastern Europe.

A bridge too far, Patton, saving private Ryan, laurence of Arabia, all quiet on the western front, full metal jacket, platoon

Jarhead absolutely nails what it feels like to be a grunt. Unfortunately all people want in a war movie is rooty tooty point and shooty, so yeah, fuck you too.

War comedies also like major Payne and tropic thunder

How is Major Payne a war comedy?

The same way anything doing with military school is war related. Taps for example.

Taegukgi (The Brotherhood of War)
Korean movie

He probably meant to say military related. Whatever, I'll allow it because Major Payne is a fun movie.

The ending turns into a fucking soap opera, but yeah, it's ok.

I unironically like it. I saw it in theaters and the helicopter ride at the beginning was tense as fuck

I doubt there were many Nazi sympathizers left in Germany at that point. Those few who remained where either dead, Hitler's bunker buddies or had already escaped or been captured attempting an escape. What remained where women and children mostly, with the old and young of the German male populace ordered into a pathetic defense force that might as well have been a part of Hitler's cowardly "Götterdämmerung" of his nation.

I didn't mean to imply that Germany's atrocities during the war were anything but horrifying.
But they tended, with exceptions, however cruel, to be systematic. Whereas the Soviets atrocities were fueled by so many factors that heightened them, ranging from the hatred left over from having had the hardest time and lost the most people during the war, to having been captured by or witnessed Nazi atrocities, to having been subjected to cruel and inhumane military conduct pushed on them by their own side in order to keep up with a technologically superior force, to Soviet propaganda fueling their hatred as they marched on (which had such a result the Kremlin eased up on it when they heard reports on the inhumanity their men were conducting), to a general sense of disillusionment and envy when they saw how high the standard of German living was in comparison to theirs. Add to that the fact that they were being liquored up by German citizens hoping that the alcohol would pacify them as it had done to invading armies in past history (it didn't, it only served to detach most from the atrocities they committed), and you have an event I'd say ranks about equal in human misery as the Rape of Nanjing, yet even modern historians tend not to care for obvious reasons.

Easily the best

This, the ending of Fury will never redeem itself. It was a movie I enjoyed, but the last part was just ridiculous.

Band of Poets is shit.

Fucking patrician right here

One of the arguments I hear as to why the German atrocities are given more attention is exactly because of their systematic nature. All wars have atrocities in them (though wars involving Russians tend to have more than the usual), but when the atrocities are systematic, handled by clear laws and hierarchies, it goes on a new level of human cruelty.
History being written by the victor is of course another reason nobody talks about the disgusting things the Russians did. The Americans and the British also had a sort of systematic system of atrocities, with their policy of bombing the shit out of cities full of civilians. They bombed the residential area of Tokyo, wherein all the houses were made of wood, with fucking napalm. Jesus Christ

>Black Hawk Down is good, not even a guilty pleasure
>American Sniper is shit
Black Hawk Down makes American Sniper look subtle and apolitical.

Sicario

I think you meant overrated.

The final battle scene was great

Oh man, this movie had the feels. Fuckin' Koreans, they know how to hit me.

Good pick.
My Way was better. Korea can't into good war movies.

Why were there so many threads yesterday bitching about how it portrays the Germans as evil?
It portrayed exactly 3 Germans -
1. The sniper who killed Vin Diesel, perfectly competent and stoic
2. Steamboat Willie, who did NOTHING wrong and was portrayed as a human character fearful for his life
3. the Waffen SS German who killed Mellish, who was fighting for his life just like all the other soldiers and killed Mellish just as Mellish would've killed him. He even spares Upham when Upham shows him that he's not hostile, showing us that he's only in the business of not dying and doesn't kill needlessly

youtube.com/watch?v=-Li65P_3lvM

Dan Carlin asked a good open question on one of the "blitz" edition of his Hardcore History podcasts that, if we went to war with our grandparents generation, would we match up or be able to win? It was a question of toughness, of how historians throughout the ages have often measured the greatness and flaws of societies by how tough or softened up the populace is, but it was also a question of ruthlessness. Could we make a decision as easily as our immediate ancestors did to firebomb a major city, let alone to drop an atomic bomb? It certainly wouldn't be popular with today's public (just look at America and her resent wars), but back then I doubt you could have found many people on the allied side that had any doubts about the legitimacy of the systematic slaughter tactics used on Japan to end the war.

google Audie Murphy, retard

So fucking god tier

>My Way was better.
My Way was terrible. It's a fucking cartoon.

overrated by plebs

underrated by patricians

Military =/= War

They are two different (but obviously related) subjects. There are plenty of military movies that have nothing to do with sanctioned war, or even combat, for that matter.

It's the least generic and cartoonish of all modern war movies made in Korea.

germans are cucked and said everything anti nazi to virtue signal their newfound morality

>his pleading eyes
damn, always makes me feel

jumpsuitedmonster on tumblr

Thought about listening to him for some time,But jesus christ,one part is 5 hours???
The absolute madman.

>I got 1/3 of a way through Midway.
So is that like 16% of the way through the movie?

I fell asleep twice watching this movie.

Underrated 2bh

Absolutely this. WWII spy movies are usually pretty comfy.

Why hasn't anyone watched The Shame or Skammen by Ingmar Bergman?

It's a perfect film and probably the greatest war movie of all time. Also, it's a feels generator.

Liv Ulman and Max Von Sydow's character arc is pretty amazing. Love that breakfast scene...

They Fought for Their Country > Come and See

I unironically enjoyed Civil War.

May or may not be called Kilo Two Bravo, depending on what country you're in.

I dont care what you guys think , band of brothers is the best war miniseries but i treat ti like a movie

I love that movie. The fact that they don't get to kill anyone makes it really great

Apocalypse Now

totally forgot about this

le meme

>General Broulard: Colonel Dax, you're a disappointment to me. You've spoiled the keenness of your mind by wallowing in sentimentality. You really did want to save those men, and you were not angling for Mireau's command. You are an idealist... and I pity you as I would the village idiot. We're fighting a war, Dax, a war that we've got to win. Those men didn't fight, so they were shot. You bring charges against General Mireau, so I insist that he answer them. Wherein have I done wrong?
>Colonel Dax: Because you don't know the answer to that question. I pity you.

You edgy Indian. This film is shit.

Johnny Got His Gun.

Waltz with Bashir.

Pure war kino

i've never heard of this but i'm going to take a wild guess it's about high school girls that have to fight in a war for some reason

No, it's about high school girls that fight with tanks instead of doing inter-school sports day.

why is Japan so obsessed with high school

Because the Nips get older, but they stay the same age.

Shitty nigger propaganda.

You're right, I'd constitute this as a film that often gets passed off as a flick. Everything about this film surprisingly delivered including directing, cinematography,set direction, authenticity, and acting (even Vin Diesel was pretty good). What could have easily been another "muh ww2 america" film turned out to be a harrowing war picture. Nicely done Spielberg.

Vin Diesels not a bad actor, he's just in shit movies. He was pretty good in Boiler Room.

TV Series but i still think its fantastic.

this movie was 3 CDs long.

underrated

>tfw your sister laughs at "I BLEW MY BUTT OFF!"

Actually pretty nice how this movie help get some legislation passed for those vets.

>Movie doesn't end with Patton's assassination

ftfy

That was really good. Korrengal was a good sequel too if you haven't checked it out.

So did I.
Seriously it was his own dumbass fault.

They should have listened to Patton and MacArthur and kept going.

It's like 80 minutes long you spastic retard.

He's narcoleptic, user. He is probably even sleeping right now.

Casualties of War

80 minutes of sheer boredom

This is the only right answer

I want women to leave

Go home commiescum

For all the faults that the failed state of the united soviet socialist republic had, producing bad movies was not one of them.

Casualties of War
Memphis Belle
Zulu

Might as well bring up Generation Kill as THE ULTIMATE WAR-KINO if we're including television

>the older bro coincidentally gets posted to where his waifu works
>the Jew coincidentally meets the little bro
>the nurse coincidentally gets saved by the Soviet woman she helped

The Eastern Front was a really small place

any non american film basically

How the hell is Ravenous a war film?