Watched Jodorowsky's Dune recently. Probably my favorite movie of the 2010s so far. Lets discuss it

Watched Jodorowsky's Dune recently. Probably my favorite movie of the 2010s so far. Lets discuss it.

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/spacekraft
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The version I watched had no subtitles. Didn't understand half of the movie.

I still have nightmares from the closeups of his teeth. What was he thinking casting himself in it.

Did Jodo cast himself in it? I know that he likes to star in his films going off of El Topo and Holy Mountain, but all I remember is him talking about his son was going to play Paul.

Have you ever gone back and seen it with English subs? Also, what environment were you in that someone played a film that's in Spanish, English, French, and Swedish without any subs?

Just watched it this week. Yify rip with no subs. Probably could have downloaded some, but my internet was down.

I would love to see this someday, even if it's just animation like he suggested.

I've never seen any of his other stuff, but it seems next level crazy.

Anyone else felt like Jodorowsky was being pretentious for the most part? Did you ever change your opinion? I initially thought Jodo was insane and pretentious, and didn't understand that money is meaningful in production. But more so because he was acting like it was going to be the greatest thing ever and change media forever. But I began to re-think what has happened as a result of his movie's failure.

Probably the most direct result of Dune's failure was H. R. Giger, Dan O'Bannon, and Jean Giraud all meeting each other, as they were all handpicked by Jodo to help him create Dune. These three would later go on to create Alien. Kinda interesting how far along development Alien actually got before it got a director. I've always thought of Alien as Ridley Scott's baby, but it was the producers that chose him to direct an already planned project.

Would you rather have Jodorowsky's Dune or Ridley Scott's Alien? And in addition to this question, consider what Jodo's Dune would have influenced compared to what Scott's Alien has influenced. Alien directly influenced such things as Metroid, Predator, and The Thing. Plus, the failure of Dune influenced other movies like Star Wars and even The Terminator. This is why I consider Jodo's claim to be much less pretentious. His Dune is some other reality's Star Wars.

I love the weird designs and to see it spawned a shitload of stuff. The ships, Love those ships, glad we could see some in Memes of the Galaxy

>Swedish
I thought Giger was Swiss

Yea, I think animation is the best way to go, but I hope its not full CGI shit. I'd love a mostly traditionally drawn animated feature with maybe some CG for outer space shots or weirder things.

Also, definitely watch The Holy Mountain whenever you can, and then go to El Topo if you end up liking Holy Mountain.

i'd much rather see the storyboard + concept book he mentioned.

dune is an amazing book and jodorowsky's a great director but his vision has nothing to do with the source material and i'm fairly sure would've been disappointing had it been released. not saying it would necessarily be a bad movie, just that it would fail next to the book.

in fact, i think the fact that we got jodorowsky's dune instead of his version of dune is for the best. this is far more inspiring than what an artsy dune adaptation would be.

seriously i hope those fucks release that huge ass book someday, even though it would cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

I understand him getting pissed that his movie couldn't get funding, but it was probably a good call on the part of the studios financially. The version of the movie Jodorsky wanted to make was going to be absurdly expensive, and probably not going to make its money back. That's why it didn't get made. Not whatever bullshit Refn spewed out.

>you'll never see a movie starring Orson Welles, Salvador Dali, Mick Jagger and David Carradine with music by motherfuckin' Pink Floyd
Why live?

>nobody has seen El Topo

Watched it before I really go into film and it honestly blew my mind and still does, truly kino.

Jodorowsky is a pretentious retarded asshole who has never made a good thing in his life.

I am glad Lynch saved us from this abomination.

rather have alien and it's not even close

I'd rather have his version than the one Lynch gave us, and this is from someone who loves the book. I can't stand Lynch's Dune. We'll probably never get an adequate adaptation, but at least theoretical one he was working on would have been interesting to look at.

Herbert said her liked Lynch's Dune. Are you claiming to be smarter and know more about Dune than Herbert?

>Post-DSotM Floyd
>Floyd ever
>Better than Magma
Spotted the retarded fucking pleb

>he doesn't like Wish You Were Here

i'll agree with you on that, but that's not saying much because lynch's dune is an abomination, and it's the worst kind of abomination, one that isn't good enough for the source material but isn't diverse enough from it to be considered an independent piece either.

good for him, but herbert never saw proper adaptations of fantasy/sci-fi books.

He was also probably getting money from the adaptation as well. If there's anything that family likes it's milking their creations for all their worth.

Only Brian. Frank was pure.

>Heretics and Chapterhouse
>pure
Sorry, senpai. The series peaked at Children.

>The series peaked at God Emperor

ftfy

Also Heretics and Chapterhouse were... misguided but they were still fine.

man i love how chokeful of aphorisms god emperor is. and they're all decent, which makes it even better.

>The version I watched had no subtitles. Didn't understand half of the movie.

RAPING WITH LOOOVE

"Jodorowsky's Dune" is a fascinating documentary and while he is certifiably batshit crazy, he was (and still is) passionate about "Dune”.

For instance, he cast his 12-year old son as Paul and to insure he'd be able to realistically do the combat scenes, he forced him to take two years of unrelenting daily martial arts training with one of France's top instructors (who was apparently a total hard-ass military drill instructor).

Had Jodorowsky made his version of "Dune", it would have been a terrible adaption of the novel while at the same time, a very cool sci-fi movie and I kinda feel bad that it never got made.

And oddly, Frank Herbert apparently was cool with Jodorowsky's vision for the film, despite it having only a passing relation to his original story.

Even for those who aren't hard-core fans of the "Dune" series, I highly recommend watching this documentary.

a lot of torrents for movies that are primarily english just don't have subs
i tried finding a torrent for Red Heat (~30 years old) a couple weeks ago, and none had any subs

JOU MUST REPE DE BRIDE

The soundtrack was great, can't stop listening to it. If you're into ambient\idm - check these guys out.

soundcloud.com/spacekraft