Why is anime so much better than American cartoons?

Why is anime so much better than American cartoons?

Tezuka

That one is utter trash

if it werent for a dozen or so good anime films I doubt I'd care about the "genre" at all

Because American cartoons are either:

A) For children
B) Adult comedies

you've never seen an american animated tragedy

>animated tragedy

There are some patrician stuff in that genre.

Plague Dogs (western animated film)
Watership down (western animated film)
Grave of the Fireflies (anime film)
The Little Match Girl (short animated film)
Felidae (German animated movie)
Fantastic Planet (French animated movie)
When the Wind Blows (British animated movie)
Animal Farm (British-American animated movie)

Just nothing of note from America it seems.

What about the Hobbit?

>animated tragedy
>Hobbit

What about it?

Prince Of Egypt

West moved on to superior 3D animation, nobody cares about your shittily animated waifus, faggot. And there's still no anime on the level of Iron Giant or Fantastic Planet, at best you get a vapid, but neat animation with pretentious themes like everything from Miyazaki

I liked Wolf Children, but I can never watch it again. It just made me really depressed for some reason.

Who /jinroh/ here?

I was envious about their family life, living in the small town together and then the boy wolf going away to live in the wilderness.

IMO from Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon on the animation became piss poor in America, and the voice acting became fucking terrible too. US animation will never recover from this calamity.

I only watched attack on titans , death note and 1995 GITs movie are there anything essential?

Because the sheer volume of animated output from Japan each season is so immense that some of it will inevitably appeal to you eventually.

That said, I like my favourite Western cartoon better than my favourite anime.

K-ON and Code Geass are essentials imo

Whilst screaming autists with have their fits over watching Studio Ghibli, watching anything by them and you'll be alright.

Aesthetics.

For some reason America keeps trying to make cartoons look cheaper, uglier and less visually pleasing as time goes on, whereas Japan actually cares about character-designs that don't look like dick.

>name-drops Fantastic Planet
>accuses Miyazaki movies of being "vapid, but neat animation with pretentious themes"

Fantastic Planet is all that without the "neat animation".

How come american voice actors try their absolute hardest to sound as neutral and dispassionate as possible? I know they're trying to avoid using their native accent but holy shit, they could at least make it sound good

Cowboy bebop is boring trash. Add aot to list

+points for paprika

Because the Japanese have a mainstream CULTURAL interest in art, illustration, manga, anime, ect, ect. Put simply, they actually CARE.

In America, a lot of the arts has been bastardised into a money-making tool or a momentary distraction, and most Americans only view animation/cartoons as being for children. American 'entertainment' is about making money quickly and appealing to as many people as possible. Whether something is 'of quality' or not doesn't really come into the equation. What's even worse, is that now politics has dipped it's thumb into the pie too, so now arts/entertainment are a propaganda tool as well - it always has been to some degree of course, but it's REALLY heavy now.

A majority of anime movies and amazing and must see. A majority of anime shows are complete garbage and aren't even worth trying.

What are the anime on the right side? I only know death note

You're joking, right? Anime is even more corporate and mass produced for profit than American animation is.

Animation is generally treated with more respect in Japan, and the existence of obsessive niche markets makes a lot of things possible, from a financial standpoint, which in turn allows for greater creativity and quality.

In America, cartoons are either made for eight year old children or fourteen year old boys. Everything that's made for children is terrible by default, because it has no reason not to be. With some exceptions, American animation studios are usually just making fifteen-minute blocks of color and noise that a lot of kids nowadays probably aren't going to pay any attention to anyway. I'd bet solid money that if Nickelodeon released a cartoon in which all the dialogue was either complete gibberish or unrelated words strung together, no one in the target demographic would notice. All that matters is keeping it clean and keeping the animation to a level that's acceptable for your average elementary school kid with ADHD.

Fortunately, when you get into the 14-year old boy demographic (South Park, Adult Swim, etc.), both of those rules go out the window. The animation no longer has to be good, because now you're relying on the novelty of your profanity-laden comedy to carry your show. This formula works perfectly, and will continue working until the end of time.

Oh, and like some people have mentioned in the thread, American voice acting is almost universally atrocious. Voice acting in American cartoons is severely undervalued because, as I mentioned before, kids are idiots and the things they hear are irrelevant when it comes to the success of the cartoon. It's not like America has no notable voice actors or voice acting talent, but when compared to Japan, the number is tiny. It's just another by-product of American cartoons being treated like shit (because they are shit).

Anime is shit, even their so-called "masterpieces" are nothing more than rip-offs.

>

Really makes you think.

>Everything that's made for children is terrible by default, because it has no reason not to be.

A lot of the decent anime I can think of is aimed at kids.

Which cartoons in particular made in the West today would you say are "terrible by default"? Have you seen any?

I can never watch anime anymore. I just like fapping to anime girls.

There are far more worthless anime movies than worthwhile ones, and there are far more good shows than good movies.

Why don't you ask the fucking cartoon board or are you scared of girls?

>A lot of the decent anime I can think of is aimed at kids.

Chances are that whatever anime you're thinking of is aimed both at kids and at an obsessive niche market of adults.

>Which cartoons in particular...are "terrible by default"?

I don't think I was clear with my usage of the word "default". Let me put it like this: it's easier and cheaper to make a shit cartoon than it is to make a good one. Typically, the natural deterrent for making something that's shit is that the audience isn't going to like it. When your audience is children, the only way that your creation can be poorly received (and therefore, can create problems for you) is if the children think it's "boring" or if one of their concerned mothers finds something objectionable in it. Neither of those have anything to do with the quality of the animation or writing. So because there are no negative consequences for making shit cartoons in America, and shit cartoons are easier, quicker, and cheaper to make than non-shit ones, American cartoons are, by default, shit.