Was he an atheist?

Was he an atheist?

I'd say it's a safe bet. Him being an atheist is only a bit more likely than him believing in and actively hating a higher power. All we know for sure is that he thought he despised Eli for being a fraud.

He was god.

>All we know for sure is that he thought he despised Eli for being a fraud.
It wasn't just that he was a fraud, it was because people mostly reacted positively to him. Daniel always came off as the bad guy what with talking big money and ownership rights, he had to work hard to get people on his side. Eli just said "muh god" and people loved him.

He was an oiltheist

He made it pretty clear

he was a cuck

Maybe not an atheist, but certainly a materialist.

Lived very frugally until that mansion in the end. Yeah he had nice clothes, but he lived in a small shack and slept on the floor

I also think he hated Eli for being weak. Remember that scene at the dedication. Eli didn't step up. It may sound crazy, but I think their relationship would have unfolded a little differently had Eli had the spine to step forward and make Daniel acknowledge him instead of passively standing back and waiting for what he felt was his due.

Materialism doesn't mean what you think it does.

Did he deserve it?

Okay

Fuck yes he did.

I don't see him as actively not believing in a high power, but rather denying it's importance and relevance to his life and plans.

No, he was the third revelation

Putrid afterbirth shouldn't be allowed to walk among man.

Goddamn i need to watch TWBB again, fuck you OP

what that means?

Because There Will be Blood was easily one of the dullest movie in the history of movies. Each minute following old man Daniel and his family as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the movie's only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make oil unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Upton Sinclair vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the movie; he made sure the movie would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for his book. There Will be Blood might be anti-Christian (or not), but it's certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the book is g-g-good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Sinclair's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that he has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Oil! by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Oil! at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Oil!" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King

What is this from again?

Harold Bloom's (pic related) critique of the Harry Potter series.

Absolutely