Was this film trying too hard to be bleak and depressing?

Was this film trying too hard to be bleak and depressing?

No, the feeling was appropriate for the setting.

I think it tried just hard enough to be actually bleak and depressing and make me regret watching it.

The book is better. This has some vague amount of hope but the book just keeps laying on the bleak nature of a realistic apocalypse

Most other apocalyptic fiction doesn't try hard enough, there's real life shit unfathomably more bleak and misery inducing than The Road that happens and has happened all through human history, the ones that make out like everything just turns into some open world survival video game are the real offenders

Maybe you're just a little bitch?

>that sequence where they follow the two male and pregnant female travelers

I had to take a break after that chapter.

I wish it had tried harder to have an emotional core that didn't feel shallow. The book is a far, far better experience.

>The entire mom plotline that didn't make it into the movie

Sure. And cutting yourself and listening to NIN makes you a badass. Overcompensate somewhere else kid.

I really thought it needed more explosions and light saber fights

i just finished the book last week, oddly enough
this is the first i've heard of the movie
it didn't seem like the type of story that would translate well to film

In terms of the barebones linguistic style of the book, there's no real attempt to translate that on to the screen, the rest is fairly easy to adapt

It's good, but they couldn't quite get the overwhelming sense of imminent starvation and hopelessness right.

In the book you know they're going to die, but in the movie you just keep expecting something good to happen. It doesn't, but the atmosphere isn't nearly as oppressive

I'm not overcompensating. You were offended by a movie set in a fucked up post apocalyptic setting. You should stick to more lighthearted fare if this was too much for you.

the simple-sounding dialogue with him and his son was just as much the core message of the book as the search for food and the bleak landscapes, though
if they don't have that, then you're left with a heartless generic post apocalyptic slog

>but in the movie you just keep expecting something good to happen. It doesn't
They found a bunker with food.
Kid got adapted by good people in the end. No irony in good.

He never said he was offended, he said he regretted watching it, as in it made him feel bad, which was the purpose of the thing in the first place
Criticise him if he dislikes that it made him feel bad because then he's an idiot, but at this point you don't know that he feels that way and both of you are shitflinging about nothing

It's based on a book that tries too hard to be bleak and depressing, so yeah

Hence why most people in the thread are saying the book is better
I wouldn't call it heartless or generic, mostly because it is a very well put together film, but it's probably one of those where watching the film before reading the book is advisable as you wont get much out of the film if you've already read the book.

>the book
>they're following two men and a woman
>woman is pregnant
>they eventually overtake them and find the charred body of a baby on a spit roast

It obviously offended his sensibilities, he made a thread to say it made him feel depressed and that he regretted watching it.

/thread

>It's based on a book that tries too hard to be bleak and depressing
The book goes out of its way to maintain a sense of hopefulness and ends with probably the most positive ending of anything he's ever written.

Guy Pearce gets to be on the poster cause he's in the movie for 30 seconds?

>9 mouths of effort for a slightly larger dinner

Movie
>Mother dies early and peacefully at the beginning of the crisis

Book
>Mother abandons the family to kill herself in the woods

Just keeping that in would have really helped the atmosphere

m8.
Men see pregnant woman.
We are hungry.
Hey, we can eat baby lol.

I doubt woman got pregnant to eat her baby after 9 months.

I imagine there must be more movies like this.

Can a kind user list a few?

>Mother abandons the family to kill herself in the woods

But that's what happens in the movie as well

Abortions are hard and risky especially if you're both malnourished and have no tools.

They probably just didn't want to risk killing the woman and took the next best thing

Threads

I finished the book last week too. I haven't seen the movie yet, I put it off until reading the book. I'm curious how the movie is, planning on watching it next.

tru

>The clocks stopped at 1:17. A long shear of light and then a series of low concussions.

what do you guys think was the disaster? an organic event, a meteor, nuclear exchange?

Some white devil destroying the earth

It was a secret high technology that might as well be aliens and exists only as a plot device

I can hear Viggo saying that. I need to watch this movie again.

yeah it tries too hard cause everything is exagerrated if you really think about it

Whatsa matter, babby? Sad stories make you hungry for mama's titty?

I didn't find the kid believable

Like this little shit grew up in a fucking shit hole so I found it impossible to believe that he would have that much compassion.
Especially since his father was drilling into him that it was them against the world.

Also, I head canon that the family that took him in at the end of the movie eventually ditches the kid because he causes too much trouble for them.

In the book did they say what happened?
I heard it's kind of vague, like the movies.
Most I heard was atomic armageddon and others I heard meteor

I found Will Smith & dog much more depressing actually

>offended
theres that word again.

Threads & The Second Renaissance are both high tier horror

Scientists trying to get 0-net energy and kinda mess up

DUDE GREY FILTERS AND ANNOYING CHILD ACTORS LMAO

>offended
: upset, hurt, wounded, injured, insulted, aggrieved, affronted, pained, displeased, distressed, disgruntled, put out, annoyed, angered, angry, cross, exasperated, indignant, irritated, vexed, piqued, irked, stung, galled, nettled, needled, peeved, ruffled, resentful.