Ready Player One behind the scenes

Holy fuck, I can't wait. RP1 is my favorite audiobook ever. I would definitely recommend it over the print (Wil Wheaton does the narration, and actually knows all of the game sound effects lol)

blastr.com/2016-9-14/4-set-photos-give-us-glimpse-steven-spielbergs-ready-player-one

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.newhumanist.org.uk/2011_08_01_archive.html
youtube.com/watch?v=IWh1f301Xb0
youtube.com/watch?v=3w9t0vJKBQ8
youtube.com/watch?v=vogEeq2Avec
humanism.org.uk/about/our-people/patrons/
youtube.com/watch?v=AMpbDZ2eA6E
galactanet.com/comic/
washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2015/08/06/the-nostalgic-narcissism-of-ernest-clines-armada/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I liked the book, but only for the world it built and not the reference-heavy bullshit. Spielberg is actually removing all references to his work, which makes me think he might actually focus on making a movie and not a wiki list of 80's pop culture in film form.

Plus I'm digging the urban apocalypse vibe they got there.

Ready Player One is I'M SUCH A NERD XD: The Novel. I doubt Spielberg will be able to make a good movie out of such a shitty novel but him removing some of the references might make it tolerable.

I've read a few pages of it that were posted here. Terrible shit for redditors

>Wil Wheaton
I was interested, but then you went and put your foot in your mouth by mentioning him.

Everything was great until his best friend turned out to be an obese black lesbian.

Bravo Vince.

Book was honestly the worst book I've read in years. Couldn’t fucking finish it. The first few chapters the main character talks about how everyone in his life lied to him and it gave him trust issues, then it talked about how that lie was god not existing for like 4 pages

Yeah, the movie obviously won't be spending half the time referencing other movies and games for no reason. I think this may be the rare case of a movie being better than the book.

It's all coming back to me.
Please delete this for our sanity

Please post the "Gods not real kid, DEAL WITH IT" part. Had me in stitches the first time I read it. Friggin edgy as HECK brah!

why contain it

If you need an imaginary friend to make you feel more important than the aborted chicken fetus you had for breakfast by all means.

Just keep your fan fiction to yourself, why is this always a problem for these religious fanatic zealots.

>sorry kid, deal with it
Every time

Instead of a fat guy in a fedora, let me treat you to this

The magazine he did that shoot for is even better

>and I didn't stop there

shit, I've never gone past Stephen King, I hope Spielberg makes it more light hearted

It's not atheism, it's free will and free thinking and common sense.

Also praise kek, this is the only true religion.

>my favorite audiobook ever

>tfw you fell for the "self published, popular novel" meme with the Martian.
Never again

Haven't read this one, but I expect it to be bad

I liked the book but idk how it works without all the pop culture references

How could they remove the references without taking away a significant amount of the appeal

Just read the excerpts itt. All you need to know

This looks like a parody.

One day you'll grow up and you'll stop being mad at God.

I think if anything Cred Forums makes people too optimistic because we tend to assume someone is just pretending to be retarded

Sorry but self published really is the only way to go for scifi anymore. So many publishing houses are so packed with SJW editors that you can't get anything that does not conform to their narrative published.

>this is what passes for literature in the cultural mainstream

Disgusting.

>9/11 ten years on
>'The greatest change has been the reinvention of Islam'
What?

I will genuinely be shocked if this can be adapted at all.

Atheists overwhelmingly agree: religion is all wrong, religious people are morons, religion should be forgotten and stricken from the record, and Islam is a beautiful social and cultural tradition that must be embraced.

I'm hoping Spielberg is able to turn it into a decent dystopian sci-fi movie. Most of the references feel like the author jerking off to his childhood so I'm glad some of them are getting cut.

I'm looking forward to it the same way I look forward to a Matthew Vaugh/Mark Millar movie adaptation. Matthew fixes all of Millar's errors nice and good, and Steven's doing the same for RPO.

MEMBER THE EIGHTIES?!

>that cover
Jesus fucking Christ

>"HEY GUYS! I'M GONNA LIST OFF THINGS I LIKE! THIS'LL MAKE FOR COMPELLING LITERATURE! K THANKS BYE!

It will never be decent.

Those are parody covers. Don't be so easily rused.

Up until a few months ago I thought "a studio wouldn't really give Spielberg a quarter billion dollars to just throw garbage at the screen would they?"

Then this came out

You wish
blog.newhumanist.org.uk/2011_08_01_archive.html

It's like American Psycho but unironic

is that neck shooped?

This book was my guilty pleasure. I think it starts really strong but at some point goes really heavy with the fucking references.
It's literally a nerd/geek power fantasy where you save the world and get a qt girlfriend.

youtube.com/watch?v=IWh1f301Xb0

>I burned the midnight oil
>heh.. I got that refer"DID YOU KNOW THAT MIDNIGHT OIL WAS A AUSTRALIAN BAND BLA BLA BLA"

Did book could have been half decent if he didn't do shit like this

>Did book could have been half

Whid did he mean by this?

cogito ergo sum, muthafuckaaaaaa

Why does she talk like this?

a picture is worth a thousand words and all of them scream daddy issues

>ads for Oasis
>charging for Oasis

what is this bullshit?

>using the RX-78
>not the -178 Titans
literally shittest taste

I knew I recognized her from somewhere
youtube.com/watch?v=3w9t0vJKBQ8

>early/m/.jpg

im waiting for thug notes to break it down for me

>Nearly 158K subs
I can't take it any more lads.

FUCK YOU NO DELET THIS.

REBLAAAHG ^_^

It lost all credibility when they mentioned Tim Schaffer in the same breath as Shigeru Miyamoto.

MOOOOOOOODS

This post gave me a migraine

God fucking dammit, you just reminded me how fucking bad that book is. Had forgotten all about it. Fuck!

>And, of course, Kevin Smith.

If nothing else, this is a pitch-perfect depiction of a Redditor, the same way Catcher in the Rye perfectly captures the angsty adolescent cunt.

youtube.com/watch?v=vogEeq2Avec
Theres a part 2

Try Hugh Howey, Wool etc. are pretty legit

>Spielberg is actually removing all references to his work
not true. An earlier behind the scenes look showed walls covered with stuff like Goonies, Gremlins, Jaws, etc.

literally 95% of this book takes place in the oasis, which is basically just really good CGI. it does not look like the real world, the author makes this clear. is this movie going to be mostly animation or are they just gonna say fuck it and do it live?

no. he says if you have a good rig, it looks super real

it would be neat if the quality improves as it progresses

But they could cheat and say he found an abandoned rig from some rich people's house

This is gonna suck, I don't think even Spielberg can save this shit

90% of this movie is going to be hamfisted references and CGI

i don't think it's ever supposed to be 100% indistinguishable from reality though

I just hope it has the scene with Ultraman and Mechagodzilla.

That's the main reason I'm seeing this.

>Every episode of Monty Python

Even people who love Monty Python agree that while theres a lot of diamonds in the rough, theres a LOT of fucking rough.

This single page is the most perfect, all encompassing representation of all things reddit. The attitude, and arrogance, the self fellation and circle jerking of what's "essential"
Remember, they're the ones that made Bohemian Rhapsody have another surge in popularity, it disgusts me how lame it is

Otherland was way better

someone's not familiar with the copyright clusterfuck around Ultraman.

rest assured, it's not happening.

Anything with Godzilla at least? Or any other popular giant monster?

if someone has the power to charm Toho into lending them some monsters for this, it's Spielberg, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

there's always the C-grade monsters from public domain classics, but what would be the point.

>Black lesbian who don't need no man.

I was going to ask what kind of faggot reads this shit, but I already know.

This kind of faggot.

Fucking mass hyperkek

I CANT STOP REPLYING TO THIS IT JUST HAS TOO MUCH TO MAKE FUN OF

Okay why would you watch every episode of the fucking A Team? Not even worth watching 3 episodes of that shit.

>Every last Bill Hicks stand up routine
holy fucking shit
>cute-geeky-girls-playing-ukuleles fetish
HOLY FUCKING SHIT

>Only listens to 80s music
>Not even good 80s music
Def Leppard is shit, Bon Jovi is shit, The Police are shit, They Might Be Giants make childrens music and didnt get good til their brand new records for the 1990s. Did you know that the first track on They Might Be Giants 1990 album Flood says "A Brand New Record for 1990'?

And its nearly 400 pages of this, good lord

Honest question to anyone, What do you think will carry over Licence and Key and Gatewise from the Book. Seeing as Licences and shit will be a pain in the ass!
I can see them cutting the Gate part of the story and focussing on just the keys.
Im pretty sure the Tomb of Horrors and Joust will be in due to smaller scale licencing, Also Pacman shouldnt be too hard to get too! . It sucks that there wont be Mechagodzilla VS Ultraman and Leopardon though!
I also thinking the whole IOI infiltration bit will be far far better in the film and show a undilapadated side of the future!

Just you fucking wait, it's going to be the single most reddit facebook tumblr pandering movie ever made. It's gonna be like watching 5 Deadpools at once

I mean it cost a quarter in the book, so I'm assuming that ad's from like earlier in time.

Most of that stuff isn't from the 80s

It'd be nice if the atheists could find a representative who wasn't just an edgy fag who was mad at their parents.

Cont..
Some of the ideas the book had was awesome but the author was too stuck on wanking about the 80S , atleast spielberg will be able to get rid of the majority of this

that's incredibly apt

In this world, what is Anoraks Almanac and who is Halliday, because I hate them both

Interesting fact, the author of The Martian, Andy Weir, used to write and draw a webcomic crossover between Alice In Wonderland, Wizard of Oz, and Peter Pan. With Jailbait, lots of jailbait. Like all I remember is sexual tension between the wicked witch and Wendy. Look up Cheshire Crossing.

I liked it when I was a young'n, but it still put me off how the author just fucking dropped the "lol, I'm actually a fat black lesbian" line and concept in there.

I mean, was there ever a more cringy and outright useless characterization in a book ever?

Otherwise it was a fun read I guess.

i can't even

this is literally autism in text form

The creator of the OASIS grew up in the 90s too

>I also thinking the whole IOI infiltration bit will be far far better in the film and show a undilapadated side of the future!
It'll show some apple-store future, and the less they make of that the better.

Honestly, skip the bit with the sex dolls and him living in a shithole becoming a NEET supreme. Do a timeskip, or some narration, just pass over him turning into a degenerate faggot and SHOW him being a degenerate faggot in Chicago, when the IOI bursts in and turns him into a wageslave

>>young'n

>that fucking CG

Either the trailer made it look bad or it really is that bad.

exactly what I was thinking.They really need to make the actor for Parzival pretty chubs and then when he gets in full on NEET mode with his apartment start the workouts and diets and shit!

Halliday is the Willy Wonka of this world. Built an MMO called OASIS, that's basically what the world is using to distract themselves while shit goes full big brother.

Anorak was his D&D character's name, and he used that in game. When he died, he set out a quest for everyone in game: Solve my magical mystery puzzle and you get to rule the fucking internet or whatever.

Anorak's Almanac was like a big ol' clue book, like somewhere in this literal wikipage of 80's references you're gonna find where the keys are and shit'll get real.

RP1 more like Sword Art Online: Honky Version.

When it came to my research, I never took any shortcuts.

I spent three months studying every Christopher Nolan teen movie and memorizing all the key lines of dialogue.
"I'm a big guy", "For you".
You could say I covered all my bases.
I studied Baneposting. And not just the plane scene either. Every single one of their memes, quips, and awkward lines of dialogue, and every single fight scene that wasn't choreographed well.
I wasn't going to cut any corners.
I wasn't going to miss something obvious.
Somewhere along the way, I started to go overboard.
I may, in fact, have started to go a little insane.
I reviewed every meme including Battsposting, WE WUZ posting, Skwadposting, Letoposting, Tarantinoposting, Jobsposting.
What about Hansenposting you ask?
I knew more about Long Beach, California than I knew about my own city.

Halliday is the autistic programmer who created the giant VR MMORPG that ends up replacing the entire Internet, then died, leaving his trillion dollar company to whoever can find an easter egg he hid in the game

Basically someone made Second Life for the Oculus Rift, and then every other video game ever made shut down and was recreated as a Second Life domain, and eBay/Amazon/whoever shut down their websites and re-opened them as virtual stores inside of Second Life, and every government shut down their embassies in favor of opening new ones in Second Life, and now at any particularly moment there's four or five billion people logged into this one game, learning at school remotely, shopping, fighting, hanging out with their friends, etc.

Anorak is the name of Halliday's ingame character

That is indeed interesting
Are there any unchristian scenes?

>condenses the fat, gay, black, trans quota into one character
>lead female is flawless aside from a wine stain birthmark on her face

Halliday is based as fuck. Upon death basically tells the IOI (who basically want to police the whole network and charge people etc) to fuck off and some randomer is going to own the full company due to a big puzzle!

Well they didn't make him a fatass but they did make him ugly.

He was okay in Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse and X-Men Apocalypse tho

It was a 240 billion dollar company!

>favourite
>audiobook

Fucking hell are you 12? Read words

i mean theres a lot of those but they're usually not loud enough to get popular

He really should have put on some pounds to film the first part of the novel and then film the rest with him bulked up for real life and his avatar!

Or the opposite filmed all the ingame and later scenes and then made him fatter to film the opening stuff

That seems... wildly understimated

Right now Apple is worth $570 billion, Google is worth $560 billion and Microsoft is worth $434 billion. OASIS has a user base larger than all three of them combined - it's literally everyone in the world except for a handful of communities with no access to electricity

Book was basically a poor autist trying to win a rich artists prize through a VR game that's basically trivia on the rich autists childhood of the late 70s to early 2000s.
It's not worth investigating.

>you can get the ability to rule the entire digital world
>but you have to groan and cringe your way through thousands of pages of just the lamest most try hard unfunny shit written by the lamest most try hard unfunny guy

The ultimate prize does deserve the ultimate challenge

>>What is car journeys/Bike rides

They have plenty

>humanism.org.uk/about/our-people/patrons/

It was just the network not the companys who made interfacing and hardware and shit im guessing.
Its like someone gaining access to all of itunes but not apple as a company

>what is music

You've never read RP1. You had it read to you like kindergarten storytime. Deal with it.

Its been a very long time since I read it, but I think all the lewdness was mostly surface level.

He also made another one called Casey and Anthony to show off how smarter he was than you. But that actually had some interesting time travel and parallel universe story arcs

Dude was trollin yo

>Holy fuck, I can't wait. RP1 is my favorite audiobook ever

Holy pleb.

why is this dumb shit even getting a movie

>New Humanist
>Just a bunch a middle class British faggots talking about religion.

Sounds about right.

You can listen to books while driving you moron, Oh sorry you probably cant as you get your mother to drive you for your chicken tendies

Reddit

>>what is sarcasm

A shame

You can stick your dick in a blender too, but you still fucking shouldn't

>Casey and Anthony

So how long can you stand will's voice?
I made it to the five minute mark
youtube.com/watch?v=AMpbDZ2eA6E

>Literally whos
>meme actors
>Warren "Meme-Loving-Fuck" Ellis

What is sarcasm whern I am thundering down tornado punches onto your face, with no rest?

Fuck, I meant Casey and Andy, i didnt even follow that case

galactanet.com/comic/

>eggs are chicken fetuses

But that's wrong, you banana-loving faggot.

I liked the version that opens with him saying "Real life sucks. Video games are the only reason to be alive." Because it gives you a good reason to tap out after the first five seconds.

>even though I knew Aech was actually a female in real life, her avatar was still male
wut

Reminder that a man in his 40's wrote this.

The whole book his ingame friend Aech is a White guy, When he meets him in real life its a Black chubby girl and then when they go back ingame hes obv still a white guy

Post the sex doll scene

got you senpai

Thanks I didn't know it was already posted

AAARRRGHHH REDDITTTTT

>"knocking a few protons off the old hydrogen atom"
This man was arrested and forbidden from writing anything ever again right?

From what I've read in the thread he's a combination of Bill Gates and God, so in the context of this world, he's basically the smartest man on the planet.

And he writes like I did in High School thinking I was clever when my teacher told me I wrote with "my voice" (as in like a smarmy little faggot)

>no one mentioning that Aramda was even worse

>The Police are shit
fuck you buddy

You shouldn't listen to Ready Player One in the car because you'll run yourself into a pole as a means of escape

I'm pretty sure he meant he's removing references in dialogue and plot points.

Post excerpts if it's that bad

Spot on familia.

A GOO GOO GOO

A GA GA GA

IS ALL I WANT TO SAY TO YOU

Such beautiful songwriting

nice cherrypick

also
lyrics x songwriting
good lyrics x good song

I haven't read anything from this shitstack other than this, and I can guess Spielberg will just do several sweeping shots of the main character's bedroom full of all these things on his shelves with the credits playing over it.

you know a band is shit when the drummer is the most talented one

>And he writes like I did in High School thinking I was clever when my teacher told me I wrote with "my voice"

fuuuuck I did this as well
Thanks for reminding me ;_;

>Oasis is what Second Life wanted to do

WEW
LAD

thank god that shit went down

oh shit, i forgot about that

so the character also has an imaginary girlfriend from canada
______________LOL________

Stop. This was funny and then I realized what a real and horrifying possibility it is that they make a meme movie...

This is the worst thing i have ever read

That book was fucking trash, rushed through it in about 2 days since I never drop books and it still felt like a huge waste of time

>favorite audiobook ever
>audiobook

Wow

>the same way Catcher in the Rye perfectly captures the angsty adolescent cunt.
You're so fucking stupid and you don't even realise why.

He's exactly what I imagined him to be

>The Police are shit

Same desu

Exempt she actually exists and he always jokes that she could turn out to be a trap

His writing skill may suck but he is in no way a Nu-male

That's some shitty graphic design. Is this supposed to be from the 90's ? 3 Set photos and Im already convinced its gonna turn out shit.

what even is the point of advertising something so well known?

because print advertising is still used surprisingly? Its sure to be used in 20 years from now

I never even noticed that a hydrogen atom is a single proton. So "knocking a few protons off" makes even less sense than you would think.

I feel like this is what Dune would have been if Herbert was a 14 year old who could name every Pokemon

In what way he isn't? He certainly got the looks and writing style down.

Hes not 90% of that list

I'm almost tempted to check if you're wrong but the scanned pages provided me enough cringe for today.

The scanned pages are literally cherrypicking some of the worst parts. Despite the writter writing like a kid, He had good ideas and the book does have some good social commentary!

The book has issues for sure but isn't nearly as bad as a lot of you make it sound.
It is indeed "reference: the novel" and is aimed at adults yet written like teen-lit.
However the world it builds is pretty neat and while I disagree a bit with where he was going with a lot of it (mostly in how the real world would become so run-down after the nexus became so big) it's still pretty interesting. The idea of virtual reality becoming our "prime" reality isn't a new one, nor is losing yourself within - but for what it is it's a fun story.

Pretty disposable and not nearly the mindfuck its fans consider it but not so bad either.
One thing that really bugged me was how sanitized the teenage characters felt when they interacted in the nexus - maybe I just had particularly annoying friends but i feel like a real nexus would be full of youtube comments tier shittalking/trolling nonstop everywhere you went.

*oasis, not nexus. Not sure where I got nexus from but probably some similar something.

I'm an atheist, and I almost cringed myself into a coma reading that shit.

It makes me sad that there isn't a competent TV series about it yet.

I got a co-worker that considers ready player one his favourite book, and he loved armade. I read RPO on his suggestion and couldnt get 1/4th through it, told him ti was awful. Whats bad about Armada?

If you strip away all the references from RPO and leave only the similarities to Last Starfighter, that's Armada.

>If you strip away all the references from RPO and leave only the similarities to Last Starfighter, that's Armada.

Really? I'd heard it had even more obnoxious references than RPO.

>washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2015/08/06/the-nostalgic-narcissism-of-ernest-clines-armada/

>“Armada” is the same, but more. Zack Lightman is a kid living just a few years from now whose mastery of the flight simulator Armada — flight missions and space battles and alien invaders, oh my — grants him worldwide fame after he leads the fight against an alien invasion that isn’t quite what it seems. An aficionado of ’80s cinema and video games, the cultural artifacts enjoyed by his beloved, long-dead father, Cline writes about Zack’s world almost entirely through the language of reference. This passage, in which Cline describes Zack’s first trip through a base on the dark side of the moon, is typical:

>In that moment, I felt like Luke Skywalker surveying a hangar full of A-, Y-, and X-Wing Fighters just before the Battle of Yavin. Or Captain Apollo, climbing into the cockpit of his Viper on the Galactica’s flight deck. Ender Wiggin arriving at Battle School. Or Alex Rogan, clutching his Star League uniform, staring wide-eyed at a hangar full of Gunstars.

>If you aren’t familiar with the works referenced here, that stretch of writing is gibberish. The moon base is a “breathtaking site,” according to Zack. But what takes his breath away isn’t the architecture or the scope or the grandeur or the stars in the sky or the isolation. It’s the fact that it reminds him of things he’s seen on the TV before. It’s the insularity that’s breathtaking here, the inability to imagine the world through any lens other than the one he has spent his brief 18 years marinating in.