Who here actually like this movie? I saw it this summer and it was a severe disappointment to me...

Who here actually like this movie? I saw it this summer and it was a severe disappointment to me. Please help me to see what good qualities it has so maybe I can change my mind

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wsI8UES59TM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah, it's good. Refn's a great director. Just elevates genre/b-films to kino status through beautiful visuals and that's ok.

Shut your fucking mouth or I'll kick your teeth in and shut it for you

What the hell is kino about it?

It's antisemitic

I liked the part where he drives

I mean, the main character was just an awkwardly quiet in a way that seems like the director was trying to make him mysterious and cool in his "wow so cool" jacket. It really seemed like it was just trying to focus on this character they tried to make as cool as possible and threw in music that absolutely didn't fit the scenes until they got something people who have a misunderstanding of kino enjoy

Or am I the only one that feels this way

Take out an... I was going to do something else with that sentence entirely
Wow you sure convinced me, wow

Same. In all seriousness this film was the first time since the Bourne Identity that I got excited over a car chase.

Well the driving scenes I did enjoy, and I loved his car and jacket. But all the other aspects of the movie I felt were lacking

only Cred Forums pretends to like refn poop

>masculine power fantasies, badass hero/anti hero
>beautiful visuals
>beautiful music
>simple, relatable, classic, fable like story
>minimal exposition and dialogue, you feel the characters instead of knowing them
>good subtle perfomances in its own intentionally non realistic slightly autistic way
>extreme violence taking itself seriously (instead of le whacky blood and guts tarantino way)
>muscle car
that's all I can think off the top of my head.
he was. You probably dont know Refn but the character is "based" on himself and purposelly a masturbatory super violent, manly, autistic badass. Like I said it's a power fantasy. On his own words "...Drive, which was the height of masculinity and my own fetishization of a hero...".

Can this board ever get a discussion without resorting to meme words like "kino"?

>can you guys ever have a discussion without resorting to using meme arrows and reaction images please

Threadly reminder redditors are biologically incapable to get this movie.
Back to your failed normie core.

1. Meme arrows have existed since the beginning of the Internet
2. This is an imageboard

Kino is just as bad as calling something pleb or patrician for no reason

>why did you like this thing
>IT WAS PURE KINO!!!!!

The worst part about the meme is that it started with teenagers applying it to comic book movies

>Not understanding that the driver is autistic

All those things sound stupid to me

Reminder that if you can't speak proper English, you're literally ͏reddit.

Then how the hell was he so badass? It's contradictory. An attractive, badass autist who gets girls and drives like Bond and lives in a world of crime

In no way is this believable and the music is very misplaced. This movie tried so hard to be artistic and imp it just really didn't live up to it. Autistic is the best way to describe the whole thing
Incredible argument, you sure convinced me

Literally just watched it for the first time and I can definitely understand the praise Cred Forums gives it.

>In no way is this believable
Good thing this wasn't a documentary

he is a unique beautiful creature isnt he

Well I want my movies to make sense unless they are purposefully not believable. This doesn't seem that way, like it tried to be believable and fell on its face

fwiw Refn always said it's supposed to be a fairy tale
And it's you who sounds autistic

>Incredible argument, you sure convinced me
I can't convince you. It is physically impossible.

>a work of fiction needs to be believable

>fairy tale
No wonder it fucking sucked

you know where exactly to go for film discussion that doesn't bring up kino you fucking redditor

>Then how the hell was he so badass?
I literally just explained this a few posts back. Red your own thread you fuck. Refn is an ultra autist and the Driver as well as some other characters of his are based on himself. In the Driver's case he's supposed to be absurdly powerful and charming while still retaining Refn's autistic perception of himself. Also I can't understand how you would think the music was out of place. Unless you expected a crime action move (which it shows you did when you said "it tries so hard to be artistic) the soundtrack is spot on with its fable like story telling and presentation. He goes even further with this technique in OGF and it culminates in The Neon Demon with clear fairy taily music over scenes that present Jesse's beauty

One of the absolutely most-overrated movies on Cred Forums.

Don't dare criticize it!

>a bunch of tryhards using big words and trying to sound smart

holy shit

The biggest word in that image is "interesting"

>literally not one solid point made
the second guy was the only one that actually almost said something. those type of reviews are based on poor comparisons, fancy words, and staying on the fence.

>reviews
they are just discussing the film

not everything is based on a point of grade system like your favorite youtube reviewers

when did Cred Forums become such shit anyways? did Reddit really take all of the good content makers away?

Cred Forums even champions a meme that they had to go to a Reddit AMA to make popular. It's not even Cred Forums's meme, it's fucking Reddit's meme.

>Haven't watched Drive since I saw it in High School
>check it out cause of all the memes
>Under your spell starts playing with the driving montage
>feels kick in

You can't call people worthless faggots on Reddit though so its a trade-off

I'll take the freedom and honesty of Cred Forums over the disingenuous dicksucking of reddit every time, even if it means I have to wade through 10 shit threads to find 1 good one

that's fair, still it's too formal and tryhard and they dont actually say anything. And I dont watch any youtube shit or rate films with points, it's the gayest thing you can do

There aren't any dubs on reddit

check 'em

>fairy tales are inherently bad
Jesus the edge

>you know where exactly to go for film discussion that doesn't bring up kino
Cred Forums before 2016?

I never said that, nor do I think I implied that. What I meant was, how the hell is a modern action film supposed to be a fairy tale? I don't see any way that could work out

after this entire thread I am really starting to believe my dislike of the movie is purely subjective, that there is some difference among us that makes you see a good movie and makes me see something that is a complete waste of time

I'm still not convinced that it is a "good" movie, but I will settle that I just don't understand what everyone sees in it

Also,
>inb4 plebeian

You can't just /inb4/ your plebeian status

None of you have explained to me how this is a good movie, so how the hell can you call me a plebeian

Don't be a faggot and tell me how this "fairy tale" is patrician, and simply not boring shit with misplaced music about an unbelievable autist

>how the hell is a modern action film supposed to be a fairy tale
It has a clear cut hero who seems superhuman and who battles clear cut bad guys for the love of a woman and because it's the right thing to do
Maybe you're too autistic to go beyond the dictionary definition of "fairy tale" so I would say it's more of an "archetypal" story like Star Wars, which is also often times said to be a fairy tale. Yeah the characters are all stereotypes but that's a part of this kind of storytelling and part of this movie's style.

>but I will settle that I just don't understand what everyone sees in it
If you're talking about Cred Forums it's because the protagonist is an autist. I think this has been mentioned a number of times in this thread but it's still falling on deaf ears, leading me to believe you are one as well.

What do you mean by misplaced music? Do you think movies should only use one kind of music?

>boring shit with misplaced music about an unbelievable autist

You just don't get it

I thought these kinds of threads died out years ago

How is it deep?

I guess then I just don't like this type of movie

I said he was an autist right then didn't I? By misplaced music I mean the music is in very awkward places that it doesn't fit well in whatsoever

I disagree, I think the music fits with Refn's style, what do you find awkward about it?

How doesn't it fit? The opening Nightcall sets the snazzy tone for the rest of the film, Real Human Bean plays when the autist is showing his emotional and caring side for the first time, Under Your Spell is used to show the love that the Driver is developing for Irene. Maybe you're just finding the synthpop aesthetic of the soundtrack too jarring or whatever.

Yes! Fuck Reddit brother!

The opening I had no problem with. Really it is just that, the synthpop in places like where they're socializing or however you would describe their interactions. I really didn't like the tone it was trying to set for the scenes. It makes sense that it's a fairy tale, but I just really didn't like that whole aspect of it, like how I don't like synthpop.. To

Well you're just a giant faggot, I can't convince you to stop sucking cocks.

Personal taste I guess, I thought it fit fine

Superlative visuals, intriguing tone, solid themes, cohesive narrative, a great protagonist, and unique characterization, acting and dialogue.

I love Drive.

FUCKING THIS

IF YOU PORTRAY A J*W IN A BAD LIGHT THE ADL WILL HUNT YOU DOWN

FUCK YOU GOYIM

>Refn's a great director

He's made 1.5 good movies, which appear to be flukes given the number of turds he's produced.

Refn's Jewish

Self-hating Jew. They are the worst kind and will be punished.

this is why

youtube.com/watch?v=wsI8UES59TM

It's a piece of shit. The driver is a total cuck for endangering himself for that single mom whore.

It caters perfectly to the modern middlebrow aesthetic, triangulating each unconscious cultural coordinate and steadily stimulating the cinematic g-spot of the partially educated.

It's the equivalent of adolescent love birds who irritate the fuck out of everyone, but don't care because they think they have something nobody else has.

It's self-indulgence that justifies itself in the minds of the self-indulgent.

Bretty good

7/10

K I N O

I approve of this review

It's all aesthetics and no substance for me. Same with OGF

This