what was the worst episode of golden era simpsons? i nominate pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UPmLGmK8Xig
youtube.com/watch?v=-2W1ktiorWE
youtu.be/-sT4HZR9Pc4
youtube.com/watch?v=UNj2nlFttCM
vimeo.com/67721732
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Shit that was only season 7? It feels much later.

That one stupid episode in florida about a gator being killed or some shit.

My god what the fuck was going on in that episode?

The Simpsons "golden era" in general is overrated as fuck

Prime Family Guy is literally better, the laughs-to-minute ratio is not even close.

No, not "trolling" either. I grew up on the Simpsons then watched the OG run of Family Guy as a later teen.

A lot of the kid-parent interaction humor was complete cringe.

kill yourself faggot, you were probably in nappies when this episode came out

Why do celeb guests always talk in the same weird/un-human tone?

I literally had to watch the episode like 10 times before I understood why they got mad at him when he put on the rasta cap. It's just a fucking hat.

So why did they freak out when he put on that hat? Was it still weird at the time for white guys to wear hats like that?

>yurocucks

The Homer goes into space episode.

I think Family Guy was more consistent in its prime, but the Simpsons had way better highs and it had enough of them for me to consider it the greater show.

A lot of them aren't actors to begin with and/or aren't used to voice acting. They speak as they normally would instead of hamming it up which results in a jarring conversational tone accompanying cartoons.

Think of how Homer would say literally any standard line like "Oh no, it's raining again" and consider the inflections put on that one line. If anyone who isn't a voice actor read that do you think they'd know to exaggerate as much as the regulars do?

You stop that

I think it was that Homer is so out of touch at this point in his life he was overcompensating and being a try-hard

When you're a kid there's nothing more cringey than parents trying to be cool

No one thinks you're trolling, just that you have shit taste.

HATE CRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME

Every clipshow or Treehouse of Horror was worse than this.

That episode was great fuck you

wtf do you mean was it still weird?

The Shary Bobbins episode

I can't fathom how anyone could like that episode, me and my husband both thought it was absolute dogshit.

Like it's weird NOW, but did its weirdness from now carry over to back THEN too?

>me and my husband
implying we care about the opinion of someone who doesn't know it's my husband and I

I almost feel like there is some kind of moral failing in having opinions this bad sometimes.

I meant like now you see stoner whites with dreadlocks and shit but was it weird in the 90's?

I put myself first because I'm the more important one.

still
adverb
up to and including the present or the time mentioned; even now (or then) as formerly.

fuck off faggot

>even now (or then) as formerly.
That's what I mean though. Like it's weird NOW but back then was it weird BECAUSE of now? It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Is that the one where Homer suggested Bart & Lisa get married to each other?

>not liking Treehouse of Horror

Faggot

>the early treehouse of horror episodes are bad

The rasta hat look was definitely a thing in the 90s, but it was more something that Deadheads, and Phish and Rusted Root fans etc would have worn.

Which at the time was really uncool to the indie / 'alt rock' world. Since then actually hipsters have come to embrace the Grateful Dead, but back then they were mostly allergic to them. A portion of the goofy 90s jamband fads, like hacky sacks and devil sticks and white dreads still are generally regarded as goofy outside of jamband festivals though.

But also, the scene was just demonstrating a middle aged man trying too hard to be cool and looking stupid, as user here says:

All I know is Lady Bouvier's Lover is the worst episodes between seasons 2 and 6. Wasn't particularly bad or anything, though.

did you not get it?

I think there are worse, but in my opinion the episode where Milhouse becomes fallout boy is just extremely plain and boring, and i almost never see anyone shitting on this episode
Single great moment in this episode is pic related

Kill the gator and run

That's season 11, well past the golden era. You're right though that it's shit

Did you not get that post?

S4 and S6 had clip shows.

Do they count?

>the one with Rodney Dangerfield
>the one where Homer goes on a spirit journey after eating chili
the show becomes iffy S8 and on, by S10 it's noticeably worse

It wasn't til years later that I appreciated how good Peter Frampton's voice work was in that episode, compared to most guests.

>be careful they have ridges

Fuck you that episode was gold

I'd also say "A Streetcar Named Marge" is a very boring episode and feels like a Season 1 episode that somehow landed in Season 4.

Nah, that's one of the best episodes. What's so boring about it?

>"how about this place! they don't even need correct spelling!"
>early internet nerd joke still 100% accurate and relevant today
>the airconditioner vent joke
>"Chicken Necks?"
>homer and the teamsters
>"Up and At-Dem!"
>the mayor and townspeople being dickbags
>the acid bath
>the editor trying to compensate for milhouse not being there
>bart having to look in every corner of the treehouse

Homer's brother with the car. Dumb as shit and the fact they ignored it later on confirms the disdain by the writers

Family Guy is low brow

get it right fag

what? He came back and invented that stupid ass baby monitor thing...where homer wants the massaging chair and they do damn good 2001 reference. they didn't ignore it completely...but yeah, it's a deadend idea from very early in the shows run.

In internet is ok, but avoid saying that in public, they will know you are a retard.

That episode also sucked to be fair.

I'm just saying that they've mined the living fuck out of everything in the show since then and there's a reason they have quietly pushed it aside.

>the solid-gold minutes-long sendup of the old Batman show

maybe it has something to do with Danny DeVito not being available as a regular voice actor?

Maybe danny devito didn't want to come back

if you hate season 2 you are pleb

ah, christ your right.
youtube.com/watch?v=UPmLGmK8Xig

DeVito couldn't find a few hours of time between his busy schedule of shooting 10 episodes of Always Sunny every year for a decade?

see

>paying for two weddings

This. Not everyone is as thirsty as Kelsey Grammar

Say it right, frenchie.

Dancin' Homer.
Only Golden age episode I would regularly skip when it was on.
Even the opening lines from Barney make me roll my eyes
>So Homer, what happened to Capitol City?

> the one where Otto's girlfriend stays with the Simpsons and merge goes to jail or the looney bin. Plus I hate Drew Barrymore

Not everyone wants to be apart of a show in decline.

The writers wanted to bring back the Karl the secretary character some years ago but after reading the script and finding it terrible and unfunny Harvey Fierstein told them to get lost.

when lisa falls in loive with that teacher.

pretty much any episode which mainly has lisa in it.

>tfw they brought Dustin Hoffman character back for a cameo

that was season 2 and yes that was pretty shit.

>Say it right, frenchie.
BonJOOOOORRRRRRRRR
ya cheese-eatin' surrender monkey

Was that episode where homer gets really fat and gets stuck in the nuclear reactor chimneys golden age or later? If so that the worst early episode
I can think of.

It smells like Otto's jacket in here.

Fix yourself, you seem to have a problem.

Golden.
and that's a good episode, bro

fat fuck detected

King size homer, season 7

And it's an A+ episode

>I wash myself with a raaaaaaag on a stick
>*onlookers applaud*

I just remember not laughing at all at it and finding the humor pretty stupid. Most episodes I can recall from that era I can at least think of one or two jokes from each and laugh, but really I cant think of any thing of value from that episode at all.

>Are you retarded?
>Y/N

Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y

sorry user i replied to the wrong post

It's not about raw laughs per minute. even in it's prime Family Guy was just a sketch show with a plot lazily tacked on.

that's the exact episode where it went to shit

I also grew up on golden era simpsons and later got into early family guy as a teen. I kept running into dad's room/interrupting his TV, absolutely insisting that he watch this funny shit, but it was always too late. Dad is a man of wit and humor, the type to know who Benjamin Disraeli is. It was always too late and he was unimpressed for a year or two.

Finally FG was in syndication somewhere and he tried it of his own accord and he dug it, now at least I have vindication about that. I haven't watched it in years but those first few seasons were really special, like the critic. I also paid attention when they bounced the schedule around and I made an express point of videotaping the shows by that point, fearing correctly that it would shortly be scuppered (it was).

The culture takes it for granted now and it's been cool to hate for years, but FG was a nice permutation on the animated sitcom with a genuinely edgy atheistic voice even by modern standards. I am happy that it survived and I am even happy that Seth didn't board that plane, although I never got into the other material.

>the one where Homer goes on a spirit journey after eating chili
No. Just no.

its okay, that user has clearly brained his damage.

>it's a Homer and Marge get into a fight and need to reconcile episode
there are way too many of those episodes to begin with, and this one barely had any jokes in it

I still don't understand the Rastafarian hat bit. Why do they think he's a narc? Don't Ratafarians smoke weed? Or is it because its so outdated and he's old so they think he's undercover or some shit? In which case, why do they sell it?

The one wear Bart steals the video game
Or the one where Bart shoots a bird
Both are overly sentimental
Although I will say the stealing one has some good jokes
>its the company's fault for making you want it so much
>don't do it son, how will it help your putting?

>let him go ralph, he knows what he's doin

because he's a middle aged white guy wearing a polo shirt

>polo shirt
That's a polo? My life has changed forever

the beginning of the episode is funny, it's everything after that quote

Eh, I enjoyed it. It was an interesting take on the drug trip trope and had a few funny moments. I'll give you this, though, I do hate the whole marge and homer fight and make up bullshit.

Are you talking about the Space Coyote episode? Because that episode fucking golden
>wait a minute, dogs cant talk
>woof woof
>damn right
Or
>this is because i kicked you isnt it
>nods
Or
>take that space coyote!
>(marge skeptically) space coyote?

>it's everything after that quote
>Follow the Turtle
>This is because I kicked you, isn't it?
>And that talking Coyote was just a talking dog
>Hi Homer, find your soulmate
Nah, that episode was brilliant

>even in it's prime Family Guy was just a sketch show with a plot lazily tacked on.
I never understood why some people consider this inherently bad. I mean, it's not like they're trying to hide or deny it, is it?

>but Family Guy was a nice permutation on the animated sitcom with a genuinely edgy atheistic voice even by modern standards.

Yeah, one of the many reasons it was fucking piss

>The one wear Bart steals the video game
that one makes me want to vomit

>that episode where bart was kidnapped and forced to drink antifreeze and crush grapes

Vague memory of it but holy shit that episode was brutal.

Are you 13?

that's pre golden age

golden age is 3-7 (maybe 8)

2, 9, and 10 are good seasons too

I'm afraid that this goes beyond my abilities as a furniture salesman.

>maybe 8
8 is THE golden era season

Don't be ageist

It was okay. Cypress Hill was fun.

He wasn't kidnapped, he was a foreign exchange student in France.

That's why you're still kids; 'cause you're stupid!

This. Absolute garbage with reused jokes and weird off timing. Boy , I sure hope someone was fired for that blunder.

but that´s the loudener!?

Thats a loudener

What's with that part in homer the vigilante where Molloy is telling them where the treasure is buried under the big T and he says "take a left a a left"

Who, careful there Annie Oakley

Oh, i don't need that... yet.

The one where Lisa thought the carpark angel was real

It was saved by Otto's shoes talking when he was tripping balls.

Don't be afraid to use your nails, boys!

The one where Bart sells his soul to Milhouse.

>To order a special dialling wand, please smash the keypad with your hand now.

loved the plane crash though

>Prime Family Guy is literally better
You have to go back.

>I think Family Guy was more consistent in its prime
No, it was always a show about random references rather than jokes. It was more consistently terrible, that's for sure. You need to stop agreeing with everything you're told, retard.

Family guy and south park are shit for people with shit humour

I used to feel that way as a kid but growing up some and reading streetcar made it one of the best.

In a gun-to-my-head situation I may pick this one too. Even as a kid I knew starting an episode with a flashback was lazy. The commentary is not very flattering on this one either.

This one and Stampy i always remember as earlier episodes. Stampy maybe my leat favorite...Marge be not Proud is an amazing epsidoe though.

You are wrong golden age is a generous 1-10 or a narrow 1-8.

Season 1 and 2 are so underrated. Homer's Odyssey is better than Last Exit.

WHAT

Dude ate you being sarcastic?

The musical recap episode with Paint your Wagon and Snake.

It was gimmicky, but far from the WORST.

>I don't even know.
Simpsons predicted post-irony

family guy seasons 1 & 2 are the only good ones.

They thought he was a narc.

Pretty good jokes with that old lady.
You stole my Camper!.. I like that

still wrong
>me thought it was absolute dogshit

Maybe not the worst but monorail is VERY overrated

THIS

Yeah, you have to become a caricature/cartoon verion of yourself because THAT'S what your playing..

>I shouldn't have stopped for that haircut.
This is one of the best lines in the entire Simpsons franchise.

This actually aged quite funnily as the people who are young and cool in this are now dad-rock age like homer was back then.

>the one that's aged the worst because of gen xers
>string of popular 90s music groups shoved in like in the later bad seasons
>kind of peters out in the third act.
You might be right. But it still has some good Homer moments and the golden era still has a hell of a track record.

This was a forward looking episode, not only because of the first use of digital ink on the show, but the utter mediocrity of most of the jokes.

Late replies, but i don't care
Family Guy had two problems; one, for every really good joke, there was at least 2-3 jokes that are so bad, you wonder how they ever made it into the show, and then in the next 20 seconds the next good joke hits and then the cycle repeats. It's so unbelievably inconsistent. Two, since the show is basically a sketch show, whenever they have a serious part where they try to hit on some emotional shit, it's completely pathetic since the fabric and consistency of the show is wafer-thin there's nothing to hold onto.

It was always weird to me someone can list a huge amount of problems wrong with zombie simpson, then turn 180 and say season 5 is their favourite

My favourites are the "Homer wasn't stupid back then, he is a good father!" and "the jokes werent random!"

>FG was a nice permutation on the animated sitcom with a genuinely edgy atheistic voice even by modern standards.
Holy shit, how fucking fedoracore do you have to be to think this is somehow a positive? You don't have to be a closeted theist to think this is a horrible reason.

Face it, Family was a third-rate ripoff of the Simpsons when the latter show was already in decline. The writing and animation was always incredibly lazy and the premise was shockingly derivative. It was made to be a subject of conversation for edgy, idiot teenagers and it succeeded at that fairly well, at least for a while.

Season 2 was certainly an interesting season, but a very different show, but not on par in quality with later season. Season 1 was fucking rough and the pacing and animation of those episodes have aged like milk.

I'm pretty sure there was an un-ironic Simpsons clipshow in season 4, wait one, googling

Yep S04E18, I have a pic and everything

Pretty sure that was garbage

What's everyones favourites?

I rewatched $pringfield and realized that literally every joke is gold.

the only bad part of this episode is that it feels like they had more to tell about Milhouse quitting but the usual runtime got in the way. But that's such a minor thing though, it's gold throughout the whole thing. How can you hate Little Rascals Moe?

Every meta episode and joke

>Simpson eh? I'll remember that name

Drink every time they make that joke

For a clip show, it's actually pretty good.

Homer at the Bat

They had to do three clipshows during the classic seasons. Emphasis on "had to", it was mandatory for every show back then. And for what it's worth, the first clip show they did had some fun new material, and the third one was the absolutely stellar 138th Episode Spectacular with Troy McClure.

The second one they barely wanted to try with though. That one had the Simpsons all simply sitting at a table and bringing up the episodes where they had bad relationships. I used to only have the audio commentary over that one.

Homer Badman

Fuck off. That landed every time, and the best part is they knew to finally put a lid on the gag with Who Shot Mr. Burns.

>Give me some inner piece or i'll mop the floor with ya!
Nar, it was great.

>people unironically thinking that season 2 or even season 1 are golden

Nick: [opening the door] Hi, everybody!
Burns: Ho, mer-Simp son!
Nick: OK, that was a little strange. Um, tell me: how are you feeling
today?
Burns: Homer. Simpson, Homer. D'oh...Simpson.

So good

>anime
Ahh yes

>Prime Family Guy is literally better

Season 2 has plenty of diamonds in it, and by the end of the season is truly golden. Season 1 is still solidly written and a fun time capsule. More power to you if you don't include them in binge watching.

2 has okay parts just like 11 but they're by no means golden. 1 is just shit.

I had this as my only recordeed episodes of the Simpsons as a kid, watched it so many times.

Is this Golden Age stuff? Beyond Blunderdome, Itchy & Scratchy Movie, and 22 Short Films about Springfield (my favourite iirc)

you don't know what a polo shirt looks like?

how poor are you?

I will let you have your opinion,but I disagree
strongly!

there's no way classic FG being better than classic Simpsons
and you know it!

Turtlenecks are called polos in Finland.

Also lol at thinking polo shirts are somehow sign of wealth.

fucking really? Do you really like the mel Gibson episode?

and what is worst,you consider this one of the best episodes!?!?!?!!?

Yes those are all within seasons 3-8 and 22 Short Films in particular is very beloved.

fuck I forgot blunderdome was the Mel Gibson one.

yeah
and user seems to truly enjoy this one

Family Guy is literally a cartoon for overexcited teenagers. Its great at what it does, and its great for its target audience, but no more than that. Its biggest contribution is teaching to millenials what observational comedy is.

Contrast that to The Simpsons/ The Simpsons is subtle. It has slapstick for the younger generations, cartoonish humor for a little bit older, subversiveness for the teenagers (although it kinda gets weak), and the subtle critic of american society and every day life for the adults. Everybody recognises themselves in the Simpsons, even in Europe. Family Guy on the other hand is just OTT, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but for some its just not funny.

>subtle

SO SUBTLE

I don't get it

this is the single most overrated joke in simpsons history

This makes no sense

you can get it. i have faith in you.

It actually is subtle. It's just a terrible joke.

apply the same rhyme scheme/first letters of the words to chuck's

Have a (you)

>season 11
not on topic of the thread

Nah, that was shit, but this was the only tape I ever had. Poor childhood, man.

I hated the animation is this episode but the worst villain of them all, the Scoutmaster is classic.

>subtle
How are blatant movie references and random humor subtle?

>lmao sideshow bob is singing an opera where did he get the costumes for it xd
>haha elephant has hannibal crossing the alps written on it i learned that in school

kys

>Is that dad?
>Either that or Batman's really let himself go

PTA Disbands.

>22 Short Films about Springfield (
Arguably the best ever episode.

>Prime Family Guy is literally better, the laughs-to-minute ratio is not even close.

Nuke yourself

yea, I love that one personally.

So Seymour was in Springfield the whole time
youtube.com/watch?v=-2W1ktiorWE

Millennials were in every decade problematic fucks...

>not liking THRILLHO

>One kid seems to LOVE the Speedo man

When skinner is found to be a fraud. It was the start of them changing continuity for characters.

Homer's Barbershop Quartet is literally a fifth season episode.

No I meant the principal and the pauper. The Armin Tamzarian episode.

>Dancing Homer
>the episode where Homer sets up Moe on a date
>Stark Raving Dad
>Homer Defined

UP AND ADAM!

Oh, fuck off!

uh

how about the episode where marge buys that fancy dress and keeps having to alter it to stay hip or whatever

I liked that episode

I still find it funny despite the backlash it was given

Aside from that horrendous development, it was still a weak episode.

The thanksgiving one where Bart steals the turkey.

Does anyone else think that episode is weird as fuck? They don't explain why all that shit happened and people seem to be out of character. Same with the Joy of Sect.

All of the ones written by Conan were pretty bad especially Marge vs monorail

I think that episode is great, lots of funny moments, but it does mark a significant shift for the series. It's the first really outlandish plot that swaps familial, relatable drama for outlandish character in X situation stuff.

somebody pls webm that radioactive man monkey dance

>so why are you, Ms Krabappel, and skinner's mom here?
>Capital city is no place for 3 women to be alone
>so why are the kids here?
Because we couldnt find Grandpa to babysit them
>so why is grandpa here?
>because we didnt want Jasper to be alone!
>heeeey hot mama
>In your dreams!
>Ok! *snoring*

The one where Lisa is insufferable and bratty for half the episode's run time.

Family Guy has a throw everything against the wall and see what sticks approach. This leads to a fair few genuinely funny gags which are the ones you remember but mostly they're shit. The only recent gag I found funny was when Peter had his feud with Mister WasheeWashee and it wound up being a parody of Street Fighter II

The problem is you can easily go 3 or 4 episodes without one singular decent gag, but the plots NEVER make up for that fact.

I give Family Guy more slack than most because I, like McFarlane am rather fond of musical theatre and I like their riffs on that, but its undeniably a shit show.

>THRILLHOUSE

Even that early on they had Millhouse fucking nailed

*while snoring*
>"hey hot mama"

Grimes, Alec Baldwin and Lollapalooza are tied for the worst of the first 10 seasons. I really disliked the spinoff episode too, and the musical review one if that was a separate episode. I know 8 had two really off key episodes for them

It's not great and the digital animation makes it all seem worse than it is

Not remotely. It's one of the earliest episodes that to me felt like The Simpsons as a whole

Back then the show was silly and absurd but funny and kept true to the characters. It just got more ridiculous as it went on

SERIOUSLY?

FUCKING HELL.

Grimey was great. Good Homer, Burns, Carl and Lenny in the that episode.

Pigs tend to chew
youtu.be/-sT4HZR9Pc4

youtube.com/watch?v=UNj2nlFttCM

THRILHO, faggot.

>THRILHO,
close, but not quite

Sorry for the typo, dad.

I HAVE NO SON!

I thought that was from Bart on the Road, which was season 7.

vimeo.com/67721732

nah, it´s the store where homer acquires the seeds he later grows the tomacco with from (does this sentence work like that in english?)

this one was the best desu

I relate far too much to this with my first year at uni

Being a womaniser can be shitty post the fact kids