What do you think is wrong with the Matrix sequels and what would you change?

What do you think is wrong with the Matrix sequels and what would you change?

Erase them from history.
First film had perfect ending.

Animatrix can stay

Nothing is wrong it's just not what you wanted faggot.

>that horrible planned battle
>those screams
>that quick descend into a nightmarish madness.

Second renaissance was fucking brutal

This this this

Animatrix was bordering on scifi masterpiece

The Matrix sequels are better than anything that's come out this decade. They are creative, ambitious, complex and rewatchable. Nothing is spoonfed to the audience. No cliches. They're eavy with symbolism and ideas. Revolutions doesn't quite hold up compared to the first two, but compared to any other franchise the Matrix trilogy is one of the best.

Too much action and shit. The first matrix didn't really have that many action scenes, there's a lot of the movie that's just them aboard that ship thing. I think the action and effects were well liked so they made sequels which were just that and nothing else.

No, the sequels miss the mark of what made the first one great: the struggle to break out of our boring ass lives.

The next two went into the realm of philosophy, went so deeply up their own asses that that the illiterate masses lost interest, making them inaccessable drivel wrapped in car chases through the uncanny valley.

It's about Free your mind and your ass will follow. Not Look how smart we are and how much shit we can blow up.

I would fix them by stopping the studio from interfering and letting them make the movies as they originally planned.

Ever notice that Matrix 2 and 3 feel long and drawn out with lots of filler? That's because they were originally one movie. Matrix 3 was actually going to be a live action version of the Second Renaissance Animatrix. The studio rejected the idea because they didn't want to risk a new movie with new actors.

The Matrix could have been an epic trilogy but the studio ruined it.

[citation needed]

>combat vehicle/mech
>pilot is completely exposed

FUCKING STUPID

Oh, look everybody!

the First Post!

It's the Best Post!

Again!

It. Just. Keeps. Happening.

Almost all of this post is wrong. The second sentence is salvageable by way of the middle clauses, but "creative" and "rewatchable" are bogus. Strictly speaking, the first clause of the last sentence is trivially true but this observation does not serve the incorrect rhetorical point that the poster had hoped to make.

/thread

Movies now are turn-your-brain-off, play-it-safe carbon copies of each other. Star Wars feels the same as Avengers, which feels the same as The Martian. Smug, sarcastic characters quip in the face of danger and nothing happens that might confuse the dumbest person in the audience. The same style and tone is used. The Matrix trilogy had a unique style and tone, and left a lot of things unsaid. I could still have conversations about what certain symbols and plot elements represented. These are the elements that I enjoy most in film

>and left a lot of things unsaid

This is what I miss the most about movies. Being able to apply your own interpretation to certain things

Maybe its just because I'm an adult now, but back when things like 'the matrix' 'Pulp Fiction' 'fight club' 'Heat' etc etc came out, I felt that you had to go back and rewatch it a few times to appreciate all angles. It's like each time you watched it another perspective came to light.

Now days it feels like they go out of their fucking way to make sure everyone 'gets it' at the first viewing.

I love having to go back and rewatch a movie to pick up on subtle understandings between characters that you miss the first time around, and things like that.

Underrated

Some of the Zion scenes. That is all.

Otherwise Reloaded and Revolutions are fucking masterpieces of sci fi cinema.

What did they mean by this?

I'd try to cut down on the heavy-handed philosophy and let it naturally occur in the story. Try to do a show don't tell thing. I'd also just make both of them into one movie. It didn't need to be a trilogy.

too much poetry, too much just as planned, too much this all happened before, too many knowitalls not disclosing what's going on and witholding information, etc...

Ideally I'd prefer the second one to again go back to basics and have a hacker initiate get saved by Neo, who would now be a Kenobi-type character. He's been leading the resistance with his powers and we segue maybe into Dune:Messiah territory with him being misused by his group and go from there.

Also the notion that the "real" world might be another layer of the matrix could've been used to essentially make the entire conflict many-layered and possibly neverending so Neo's powers from the first movie are not nearly enough to "solve" the situation.

Basically the entire thing could've ended up a bit more Lynch and a bit less Lucas.

I don't like the Matrix within a Matrix shit some people theorize. I think that just makes the story tedious and stupid. I think removing a lot of the action scenes and condensing movies 2 and 3 into 1 film would be great. I like the ending of the story, just not the filler you sit through to get there.

Zion doesn't need an action scene. Just make them defenseless and racing against the clock before machines breach is enough. We don't need 30 minutes of dumbass machine guns shooting sentinels.

Give them a break, it's the only weapon they have against the machines

What do you think?

>what went wrong

They rushed two matrix sequels into production, wrote the whole mess as a single movie, shot and edited said mess as a single movie and then chopped it in half and released it six months apart.

It has has Star Wars Prequel syndrome where the characters don't feel genuine because there is too much standing around regurgitating expository dialogue, too much reliance on "prophecy" and "belief" and a distinct lack of actual characters having agency and making decisions. And like the prequels they go out of their way to explain shit that doesn't need to be explained robbing the setting of a lot of the fun mystery that leaves you wanting more.

>what went right

Production design, soundtrack, some of the ideas, costumes, the highway sequence, the hovercraft chase sequence, parts of the dock battle, and Hugh Laurie's hammy as hell performance.

>Hugh Laurie's hammy as hell performance
Must have been amazing. I didn't even realise it was him

You can't just single out the sequels for problems. They rely on the original movie, which was laughably terrible with it pseudo-anarchist babby's first philosophy, forced symbolism and reliance on "cool" action effects to stimulate an audience of plebs.

Tyrael?

Did you just confuse based Hugo Weaving for Hugh Laurie?

"Laughably terrible?" get real dude, OG Matrix is one of the best sci-fi movies ever made. top 50 easily, maybe even top 20

The script and I would change the script.

>best sci-fi movies

Not saying much considering how terrible and cliched the entire genre is.

>what would you change?

I wouldn't make them at all.

Less CGI, make Neo's fighting style more glitch-based like at the end of the first movie, make the lore more mystical, imho there was no need to openly explain that ghosts other supernatural stuff were glitches in the matrix. Drop or rework several side plot lines.

Aah, baby's first bait, how cute.

This

Hugh Laurie in the Matrix franchise? Where?

Nowhere. Don't know what that idiot was talking about.

What are you talking about Op, there were no sequels.

Seriously though, Gods the crushing disappointment!

Me and a mate I walked into the first Matrix movie without any idea what it was, it was a £3 Thursday midday "special advanced preview" before any reviews had come out.

We were blown away. We'd never seen anything like it. I suspect a lot of the kids here don't get why us 80's oldfags go on about this film, well it was unique at the time. It was probably the most intense cinema experience of my life, sad to admit really.

Nothing was going to compare to it really, they shouldn't have tried... but they followed the cash and pissed down our throats.

Meh

Neo came across as too weak in the sequels. At the end of the first Matrix I was under the impression he didn't even need to fight anyone anymore. Just erase or rewrite anything he wanted.

They got too entangled in their own mythology and meme characters.