Why do people respect Malick that much?

His films are not that good but if you say ''Malick's making another flick right now'' to Brad Pitt I'm pretty sure he'll be in it for free.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fhjmlgfbMkY
youtube.com/watch?v=_UraxfJFTJk
youtube.com/watch?v=9DIu7WDEB6U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

always wondered that about this mememan too desu, none of his more recent films have been that well received

>caring what modern day critics say

He is for us cineastes, astheates and believers. You can move along.

Tree of life was incredibly well received

dude trees lmao

Have you ever seen his show Man Tracker where he hunts people down in the wild?

Reviewers don't want to upset him.

youtube.com/watch?v=fhjmlgfbMkY

post rare terry's

youtube.com/watch?v=_UraxfJFTJk

He made two immensely influential films and then dropped off the face of the Earth for nearly twenty years. Actors are willing to drop everything to work with him because they're fans of his work and are afraid that he'll once disappear.

People love him because he's a lovable man. It's not just actors, producers and film crew all say he's a wonderful human being. He's actually a cult leader.

He looks like someone just asked a retarded question

>once disappear.
*once again disappear.

He changed three cinematographer in his first film.I don't think it's easy to work with him.

>tfw you will never join Terry's cult
Why live?

For me, most of it is about the incredible cinematography. Lubezki deserves more credit for Malick flicks desu. But even before he started working with Lubezki, every single shot in a Malick movie has this amazing dynamism to them where ordinary every day things seem larger than life somehow. It's like watching a visual poem. I would recommend The Thin Red Line for those new to Malick.

Only because they didn't let Christ into their hearts.

>Gosling
>Portman
>Autistic Mara sister
>Fassbender
>Bale
>Cate Blanchett
>Del Toro

If you can bring all those actors for one film, you should be a prophet or something.

Half of them will be cut from the final film.

Gosling, Bale, Fassbender and Brado Pitto then.
A Malick all male kino that will be a nice addition to the women-will-never-understand list.

Never going to happen
Women are an intrinsic part of Malick films, even his war movie had moments where characters reminisce about their female loves

Then add women that are not on the above list. Or never showing women on screen even though they are important to the story.

Why do you want to watch only men on screen, user?

I haven't seen To the Wonder (and of course Voyage of Time) but I've enjoyed all of his movies. I don't think any of them are trying to be "intellectual" but rather are incredible visceral experiences.

I think his beautiful and sometimes surreal images convey a lot of emotion and does it very well. He's masterful at telling a story purely on images.

To shitpost about it in threads featuring Master and Commander poster.

I've only seen Days of Heaven and TTRL, both beautiful movies with great individual scenes, but something prevents me from really loving them

I know every Malick-fag thinks he's some non-narrative auteur, but there are clear and obvious narratives in his films and they're just so bad. A dull forbidden love triangle in DoH and every war cliche in the book for TTRL. They seem less anchors for Malick's poetry than crutches. A more fleshed out narrative would have made both films more powerful, or just drop the plot entirely and make a freeform montage of people swirling in grass talking about love. It's like he's doing both and neither totally work together

Why did he become much productive in 2010's?

>I know every Malick-fag thinks he's some non-narrative auteur, but there are clear and obvious narratives in his films and they're just so bad

Christopher Plummer sums it up
youtube.com/watch?v=9DIu7WDEB6U

He is being powered by Brad's undying love

I wish there'd be an uncut version of the thin red line. So much stuff cut out.

I would agree with that

A film I could compare him to that Malick obviously loves is Murnau's Sunrise. A very, very simple love story that's used as a springboard for all sorts of beautiful visuals and emotions. The story isn't cliche though, more of a universal fairy tale kind of thing. It just works. I can't say exactly what the dividing line between that and DoH is but one is very satisfying on a narrative level and sucks me into the visual poetry, and the other is a bore for stretches at a time and only makes the poetics lose their impact

It'd be a totally different film though with 2 more hours added in. All of Jim Caviezel's arc would be thrown around with the other meh subplots more than it already is

How's it going, Adrien Brody?

several highly idiosyncratic yet succesful movies
one of the few filmmakers that tackles religion right
him going awol for two decades and giving no interviews at all turned him into kind of a mythological creature
his montage is simply revolutionary and unparalleled
the cinematography him and lubezki developed is the most revered in contemporary cinema
most people that work with him love the experience
he has a summa cum laude degree from harvard

They both work the way they are
You should watch Tree of Life