Now that the snow as settled, how do you rate this movie? (Not 100% comparing it to the original)

Now that the snow as settled, how do you rate this movie? (Not 100% comparing it to the original).

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=apocalypse trilogy&oq=apocalypse trilogy&aqs=chrome..69i57.13639j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
youtube.com/watch?v=upNphtZCvjs
youtube.com/watch?v=ueO5sKKu9sA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

seventy billion stars out of 10

OP here. I forgot to add this:

I just checked Rotten Tomatoes and it is at 35%. To me it deserves a 60%.

What would have made this very memorable is if they stuck with practical effects instead of replacing it with CGI

Forgettable.

>he doesnt remember the spaceship

>To me it deserves a 60%.
No it fucking doesn't.

Despite being a prequel, it's almost a shot for shot remake of the original with a woman in the lead.

The cgi alone brings it down to a mid-5/10

6/10

I genuinely don't.

Absolute dogshit. Forgettable characters, and the Thing acting like a retard the whole time. Even if they had kept those amazing looking practical effects, the movie still would have been shit

Practicle effects would've made this 9/10

The original is better.

Well rewatch the 3rd Act of the film

Nah the 50's version had a goofy looking human like monster walking around and it was too easy how they killed him but I did like the film's first Act

I do remember one jump scare which was freaky

That part was so fucking retarded. Why did the alien even crawl out of the ship if it was still working? Also, where were the thermite charges? The original shows that the ship was blown up using the charges, but here they don't use them at all.

i really liked how it related to carpenters, plus the casting was great. i didnt like the cgi and how the thing looked the same almost everytime. 6/10

gr8 b8 m8

I didn't say it was scarier, I said it was better. A lot of those 50's horror film aren't very scary at all, in my opinion. But they often have a great entertainment value. I prefer a man in a silly costume over all those boring cgi monsters in modern horror.

I thought you were referring to the 50s film being better than Carpenter's film.

If so then you are 100% wrong

I want to know why no one ever screamed when the thing took them. I assume it took them at night when they were sleeping but as we know it has to quite loudly change forms before it can assimilate lifeforms. You'd think someone would wake up and scream "What the fuck!" or something.

everyone knows the Carpenter remake is superior.

What makes Carpenter's film better in your opinion?

The Thing probably isolates your voice chords first to make sure you don't make any noise.

It was better than most prequels, but still entirely unnecessary and marred by studio-forced CGshit. Its the Prometheus issue all over again, my mental image of what happened to the Norwegians was far creepier that what we are shown.

Blair fused Garry's mouth to his hand so he couldn't call for help

The first one wasnt that good to begin with. Havent watched this one yet. Would normally watch it for MEW, but i kinda got turned off her when I saw she had sex with michael moore

Has it been that long for you two?

>Watch Clark

Different pleb here. I'd say it was the emotional tension and raw paranoia instilled in all of them as the movie progressed. The mental break down of some while others grasped on to retain what little form of sanity they may have had. Doubts and second guessing one another causing distrust in what was otherwise a pretty homogeneous group.

Fuck, yah beat me to it.

'82 The Thing is a fucking masterpiece.

Incidentally, there's no women in the entire film.

Maybe not incidental.

Was Blair the first person the dog assimilated? The shadow that we see against the wall? Or was that the guy who has a heart attack. Also. When Blair was Locked in the shed and he told Mac to watch the one guy was that just the thing trying to throw him off his trail?

Fuck off, this is absolute garbage. I can see you faggots will start shilling this shit now

Nah Blaire wasn't the first to be assimilated, it was one of the others.

>trying to throw him off his trail
Yeah, by then Blaire has changed

I think Blair was The Thing even when he started to destroy radio's and equipment to make sure the group is isolated, so they can't reveal the outside world about it.

Even though the Carpenter version did a good enough job establishing what happened in the Norwegian base it was cool, not better just cool, to exactly what happened. The practical effects were good. MEW was nice. The ending was pretty dumb from what I remember.

Overall it was fine/10

So the guy who had a heart attack was first.

Partially, but by then it was too late. He was the first to figure out every small piece was the creature and since he was the one who conducted the autopsy he knew he was fucked. He bagan to destroy the findings so as to get rid of any evidence in a last ditch effort to save the earth from knowing such an alien creature existed.

Wrong again

How? the shadow had the same exact hair shape as his. Curly. Prove me wrong

Palmer was the first

It's left ambiguous on purpose.

How

>I ain't goin with Windows!

A lot of them had contact with the Swede's dog...

I wish there was atleast 2 or 3 more characters. Everyone got picked off way too fast. If there was atleast 15 more mins of paranoia that'd be great

That makes sense. If its that efficient I wonder why it didn't assimilate more people when it was a free roaming dog and everyones guard was down.

Is the story the original is based off of any good?

The producer said it was Palmer.

Wrong the producer specifically stated that the shadow was from someone outside the cast so that no one could guess who it was.

>I wonder why it didn't
Didn't it?

I used to think Blair was assimilated later in isolation, but Blair-thing was always the most aggressive variant of the creature IMO, and he tried his hardest to kill the others with gun and axe. I just wonder if the assimilation process for him though was a gradual one that occurred following the autopsy, and caused some kind of mental instability before finally turning him fully. Killing the dogs made sense, and maybe the helicopter sabotage, but destroying the radio so they couldn't even call for help? It just doesn't add up, unless it's the Thing trying to trap its quarry.

Ok all ambiguous shit aside obviously someone was first so who would it have been

It got palmer and the fat guy I think but you'd think that it could get more than two, also you'd think it would get clark.

it didn't get Clark on purpose since he would be the one who would be the first suspect of being The Thing

Lars having a role and it being tied together in the end was the best part.
It affects my re-viewing of the original in a positive way.

He was barely in the film and was coincidentally the only Norwegian who didn't speak English.
Fucking bullshit

Why didn't the Thing just blow raspberries in everyone faces?

Never knew the 80s version was part of a trilogy

It got to Norris first I think. The shadow was of a man too chubby to be Palmer, although in production facts it was neither actor but actually a member of the crew. So there's no way to be absolutely certain.

(Me)
Maybe it was Norris? (I added myself for transparency sake, but the movie only shows us the dog interacting with said shadow figure. Who knows, the dog may have gotten around to the other guys first...?)

It is cool Carpenter had a member of the film crew sit in to throw us, the viewing audience, off the trail.
>Who's really paranoid? The characters or the audience watching?
Clever

Nah Blaire was fucked from the word "Go' once he did the autopsy. He sabotaged the radio shit so no one else would come to save them. He was essentially preparing their grave.

Fatty's name was Norris. Show some respect to the dead.

It's not a triology series.

It's been a while since I've seen it but I remember him being in it for a good while
And yeah him being the only non-English speaker is kinda shitty but I still really enjoyed it tying things up with him since I for some reason wasn't expecting it.

It's part of a trilogy series. Look up "apocalypse trilogy" it doesn't continue the thing story it's just 3 stories about world ending dangers

Anyone have any theories as to why it didn't break off into more creatures when threatened? It broke off into like 2 or 3 in the movies but I would think it would snap off every finger and toe and out maneuver the crew, plus it takes one drop of its dna to infect one person so being big isn't doing it any favors.

Maybe it can't function past a certain size but if thats true then why did its blood move and run away?

Well would ya look at that:
google.com/search?q=apocalypse trilogy&oq=apocalypse trilogy&aqs=chrome..69i57.13639j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Not bad Cred Forums-bro, I learned something today. Thanks!

The point is to hide in plain site to survive until it finds a new host/more hosts to infect. It would be kind of strange if a bunch of toes, arms, and extra limbs jumped on the next snow tractor ride out of that frozen hell.

The more you knooooow

Too bad Prince of Darkness is fucking awful and Madness is just eh

Never seen either. Prince of darkness sounds shitty, madness sounds like it has an ok idea

Would you like me to stick my penis into an anthill as well?

That's probably a fairly accurate description of what the 3rd act feels like in that movie

So they already remade Halloween and the thing. What carpenter film is next for Hollywood to fucking ruin?

>madness sounds like it has an ok idea
Definitely watch it. I really enjoyed it and it has some really great creepy scenes.

Also: Carpenter is back doing his crazy practical effect monsters

The prequel was so-so.
I felt like they focused on MEW too much, even though it's clear they tried not to make it about empowered women etc.
What made it worse was that the big bad at the end was the scientist man who scolded her for second-guessing him.

they are doing a sequel to They Live

The Rock expressed interest in remaking Big Trouble in Little China

It was pretty fucking awful. Especially the cgi scene where it morphs with two peoples faces. So bad. WHY did they ever think that was better than practical effects.
I'll check it out tonight

>original

This is a prequel to the 1st movie, that's all. It isn't a remake. This is what happened to the Norwegian base prior to the dog reaching the base in the 1st movie.

>I'll check it out tonight
Good and make sure you watch it in Blu Ray quality.

I was rewatching it last night actually and it has aged very well!

btw it has some funny scenes mixed into the horror such as link related at 0:39 when he lets out a random scream
youtube.com/watch?v=upNphtZCvjs

Also: the ending to the film is a fucking 10/10 and just Carpenter's idea of the plot twist was brilliant!

>Cheatin' bitch

What did he mean by this?

>ywn live in Antarctica with a group of guys who hate women
feels bad man

I know it's gonna be shit either way but The Rock is probably the only actor right now who could ham up Jack Burton even close to properly.

in carpenters version is it implied that the thing survives at the end?

>sub par reading comprehension skills
Stay back guys, I think he might be a Thing

>bitch
>she
>implying the computer wasn't a male sex robot installed to test the limits of the human man

I thought it was implied as a hint that one of the 2 remaining survivors could be the Thing...

Anyone else pretend that "They Live" is a sequel to The Thing and so therefore Childs made it out alive, changed his name and returned to normal life, trying to make a living?

Like all video game movies it's not as good as the source material.

I think it was Palmer because we see the dog walking into a certain room at night, and in a scene in the next morning we see everyone leaving their bedrooms at the same time, and Palmer comes from the room that the dog walked into.

>PUT ON THE GLASSES
>I've seen some shit. I don't want to go back
>PUT ON THE GLASSES
>It's starting all over again, the nightmare...the horror...the horror...
Now THAT would be one kick ass fan theory

I really hope you're fucking joking

He means because it is CGI heavy, thus a video game

Carpenters movies are always comfy tier

>I've seen some shit. I don't want to go back
Wait does he actually say this line in the film before he puts on the glasses?

My mistake

I was joking about it being the source material but I do think the 2002 game is better than the 2011 movie.

The Fog

I'd have to agree with you on that.

I just pretend that one didn't happen.

No, Roddy Piper has to beat the shit out of him until he's almost unconscious before he can even put the glasses on his face. He doesn't say anything.

>sneaks up on Garry
>sneaks up on Nauls
>almost done, only one guy left
>what could go wrong
>...
>stands in front of MacReady and does jack shit
>doesn't even try to attack him
>just stands there and screams

What did "the thing" mean by this?

They also made a remake of the fog and assault on 13

Halloween again.

John Carpenter's The Thing > The Thing From Another World > The Thing (2011)

John Carpenter's The Thing is a 10/10 horror masterpiece, The Thing From Another World is an 8/10 pretty good 50s sci-fi movie, The Thing (2011) is a 5/10 that takes way too much from John Carpenter's The Thing.

I don't remember the 2011 version that much. It was probably just okay.

what said.

It's just improvising 's theory, hence the heavily implied implying dialogue

The Rock could definitely ham it up but I'm worried Hollywood will completely miss the point of Jack Burton's character and turn him into a super competent badass.

He took away his detonator, it thought it had beaten MacReady, it was also in the process of making a new dog imitation so that it could probably escape again.

americans in a norwegian facility/10

no

its just a movie turn off your brain öpö

>founding members of nato helping each other out

You crazy Swede

Big Trouble in Little China
Escape from New York
They Live

A Big Trouble in Little China remake is probably gonna happen very soon, The Rock is going to play Jack Burton. Every once in a while Hollywood talks about remaking Escape from New York but so far their talk hasn't lead anywhere. Six years ago there was a lot of talk that there was gonna be a They Live remake that would be very faithful to Ray Nelson's "Eight O'Clock in the Morning" short story but nothing happened.

That all sounds pretty bad.
Carpenters films just have this cozy atmosphere to them that can't be remade

Well he is a man of many talents
youtube.com/watch?v=ueO5sKKu9sA

Plus he's a pretty decent guy. He made sure the suits stayed away from Kojima, after all
>He's a nice guy...or at least he's nice to me
Oh Carpenter, why you so comfy

Oi here's my theory,
the dog-thing comes out of blair-thing's chest, right?
And Blair said he killed the last two dogs, right?
And how the fuck wouldn't the dogs have been infected?
I think the remaining dog things infected him.

It was shit. The CGI was shit. The jumpscares were abundant and shit. Te actors were shit (Hurr Durr, let's put Amerifats the Norwegian base because Amerifats can't relate to foreigners). The Thing doesn't try to hide itself well and freaks out the second it is accused. The main female is shit and only there for forced diversity. And worst of all the ending was terrible.

It was as bad as the new Blair Witch Movie.

Who /creepy doggo/ here?

It's a 5/10. The biggest flaws are it copies too much of John Carpenter's film and the CGI ruins all of the effects. I would probably give it a higher rating if the practical effects weren't completely covered up by CGI but it would still be a deeply flawed film.

>mfw when that poster manages to be equal parts masterful craftsmanship and utter shit...

I like how it fucks with the lore of the carpenter movie constantly like how the Thing just decides to attack small groups or everybody even when it's not threatened but then at the end it doesn't attack two dudes and they also establish that the thing (as a dog) runs all the way to the other base with the guys in a helicopter chasing it the whole fucking way.

Should've had a "They Live" remake in the midst of that 1% shit, that was the time for it. Now nobody is angry at rich people ever so you just couldn't do it!

All valid complaints. Why bother remaking a classic if you're going to put in every fucking sin that modern movies have that makes them objectively worse than what you're remaking? If you can't do something original at least make a good homage.

Like this, but I got to see MEW and had no problem with the CGI, so it's a 8/10 for me

>the Thing just decides to attack small groups or everybody even when it's not threatened
Yeah, that shit really goes against the Carpenter movie. Every time the Thing did anything in the Carpenter movie it was either alone with someone or it felt threatened. In the prequel the Thing frequently runs around like a big dumb monster for no good reason.

Vocal cords, retard. Not voice cords.

Not really. I thought it would be pretty awesome so I read it about 7 months back. You don't really gain anything by reading it and it's boring.

>I just checked Rotten Tomatoes and it is at 35%. To me it deserves a 60%.

so more people who didn't like it should have liked it? or you personally rate it 3/5 stars? do u even no what an aggregator means?

TV series FUCKING WHEN

CMON NETFLIX JUST DO IT NOWS THE TIME

I don't think a tv series would work. Unless it's only a mini series of 6 episodes max. Remember, the thing spreads pretty fucking fast. It takes out 10 guys in a day and a half? Any longer they'd be dragging it out

I liked it so much that I saw it in the theater and I made this.