What is your favorite horror movie?

What is your favorite horror movie?
Pic related for me, with Halloween II and John Carpenter's The Thing in a close second and third. John Carpenter is just brilliant, imo.
>One of the first movies to have the killer die and then come back to life in the same movie
>That. Fucking. Score.
>Each teenager had an actual personality and weren't just knife-fodder
>That bone-chilling ending
>Everything about Dr. Loomis

I hope the remake will be good and Carpenter hasn't lost his touch.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=guY4cuELvLw
youtube.com/watch?v=o2xkoviNMxE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Carpenter hasn't lost his touch

Dawg where you been the last two decades?

Halloween is definitely one of my favorites, but my #1 is pic related

I'm not that familiar with most of his other movies, honestly. Has it been bad?

For some reason that poster reminds me of It Follows, which I also really like

his last half-decent movie was Escape From LA, which came out 20 years ago

Evil Dead 2

they should put up a statue of mario bava, he's the GOAT

I don't believe Carpenter is directing the new Halloween, I think he's just one of the producers. Some folks are hoping the might be involved in the score for it but who knows.

John Carpenter was a pure genius from Assault on Precinct 13 to They Live. In the Mouth of Madness is good and Escape from L.A. and Vampires are decent but the rest of his post-80s films are pretty bad.

Dark Star is underappreciated, it's slow and meandering but has plenty of brilliant moments and is absolutely worth watching

>remake
No one knows if it's gonna be a remake, senpai. It might be a sequel.

>oh yay, it's another everyone-jerks-off-to-The-Thing thread

A re-edited version of Halloween I & II combined would be 4hrs of top kino.

I need to watch the director's cut sometime. I read somewhere that most of the meandering scenes aren't in the director's cut. They were put in the theatrical cut to make the film feature length. Anyway, I completely agree with you. Some parts of it meander too much but the third act is brilliant. It's absolutely worth watching.

Truth!

Bava is legit horror kino. The mask scene from Black Sunday is awesome and he was a direct inspiration for the way Argento used lighting & colors even when he was shooting on B&W stock he used colored lights...

>The Bride of Frankenstein? It's my only weakness.

errm no faggot.

it's new, so maybe by the time the dust finally settles I'll still prefer Kill List, dunno.

But WOW this is amazing.

Except Halloween II is dog shit and wasn't even directed by Carpenter.

The original is fucking kino by itself. It doesn't need additional hack plot points like le mysterious familial ties between the protag and antag.

I haven't seen too many classic horror films. I loved The Thing and Rosemary's Baby, hated Halloween and The Shining, thought the last 20 minutes of TCM were amazing but most of what led to it was pretty dull

This is super comfy

I think Halloween II is a fun movie, but I also fucking hate how they made them siblings, giving Michael a dumb motivation about "must kill muh family" makes him less mysterious and therefore less scary, and also undermines the first film which implies he is more than a man, a supernatural force of evil

Ernest Scared Stupid. 100% serious. I'm not saying it's the best horror movie. I'm not even saying it is a good movie period.
But it's my favorite.

Must watch horror classics:

>The Fly (1986)
>Videodrome
>A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
>Dawn of the Dead (1978)
>Day of the Dead (1985)
>Night of the Living Dead (1968)
>Black Christmas (1974)
>An American Werewolf In london
>The Evil Dead
>Evil Dead 2 (it's a horror comedy that amps up the comedic aspects of the first Evil Dead)
>Army of Darkness (it isn't really a horror movie but it's the final movie of The Evil Dead trilogy and it's hilarious)

Oh yeah, I saw Dawn of the Dead ages ago and loved that too. That's such an amazing premise, it totally captures the imagination having it all happen in a shopping mall

You should watch Day of the Dead ASAP. It's a lot more depressing than Dawn of the Dead but it's a fantastic film.

I loved that movie as a kid, assumed I would think it's shit now that I'm older and don't want to sully my precious memories.

Should I download it?

Day of the Dead really is the GOAT zombie movie

Halloween 1
Friday the 13th Part II and Part VI
Aliens
The Thing
30 Days of Night
28 Days Later
Cabin Fever
You're Next

All my favorites at the moment.

Don't.
It... it didn't age very well.

Halloween is a terrible film. It's score is the only good thing about it, and even that gets old fast with its constant repetition. Every single good thing it did was done earlier (and much better) by Black Christmas. The killer's POV, the comfy holiday atmosphere, the disturbing childhood, the teenage victims. Every trope that Halloween pounds into the ground was done by Black Christmas in ways that never feel cliche or aged despite being the first of many similar slasher movies.

Halloween has absolutely no tension. It constantly shows the killer and constantly lets us know what he's doing. Hell, even the victims see him all the time. They're not scared. He's not scary. The cast of victims is nothing but knife-fodder. Poorly acted, badly written characters with no development or personality whatsoever. Not to mention the doctor character. In trying to save lives, he literally stands in front of an empty house all day and does nothing. He and the police are the most incompetent "heroes" ever seen in a film like this. It would be excusable if it served a purpose, like they were so dumb it's funny, but instead this farce is meant to be taken seriously. Also, when the killings finally start happening the atmosphere doesn't improve. It stays boring. There are no stakes, I don't care if these fucks die. Uneventful murders and lame chases with illogical decisions all over. How does the killer go from being a retarded kid to an invincible (but still incompetent) murder machine so easily? He is constantly outwitted by the very stupid Jamie Lee. Not to mention the sudden emergence of near supernatural abilities, like surviving all 6 rounds of the gun and stuff like that. It's just stupid. The movie was at first a vaguely realistic, if shitty, slasher. Then it becomes more silly than all of Friday the 13th combined.

One great moment, I will grant the film, is when the killer's mask comes off and he desperately tries to pull it back on. Without it he is nothing. Great stuff

>Halloween has absolutely no tension. It constantly shows the killer and constantly lets us know what he's doing. Hell, even the victims see him all the time. They're not scared. He's not scary.
Top kek, you completely missed the point of the stalking scenes.

Scared the shit out of me as a kid but these days I watch on the lead up to every Halloween

Then please enlighten me. I have tried and tried to understand why people like this movie so much. I've seen it at least once a year for the past 5 years in order to try to "get" it. And I just don't. For me, it is irredeemably bad. I'm going to try one last time this October, because a few months ago an user told me I need to watch it as if I were watching a western. Not sure how much good it will do, especially now that I've seen Black Christmas (which by the way I cannot recommend enough, seriously a masterpiece and the best slasher I've ever seen by far).

So please, help me figure out Halloween.

>I hated Halloween
You have the right to your own opinion but I'm gonna need you to explain yourself. What was wrong with it?

Dont listen to this guy, Evil Dead 2 and AoD are trash. ED1 is the only good movie Raimi ever made and a genuine masterpiece but everything after that is garbage. Not funny or scary

Ignore this faggot, I'm correct. Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness are hysterical and Sam Raimi has made a ton of great films.

No no I'm pretty sure I'm write and everyone should ignore you instead so there

Just wasn't interesting. I get that the appeal is how everyday it seems and "it could happen in your neighborhood" but to me that made it pretty boring

>Michael trailing them in the car completely unbeknownst to the girls or the Sheriff

It's little things like that that make the movie so great.

What makes the stalking scenes creepy is "it could happen to you" aspect of it. A psychotic killer goes into a nice suburban neighborhood, openly stalks people and people either don't notice or dismiss it as some guy playing a prank.

See, I personally just thought it showed how stupid the victims were and how painfully obvious Michael (and the filmmakers) are. I would definitely notice if someone did that to me (then again I'm a paranoid loser so ehh)

>One great moment, I will grant the film, is when the killer's mask comes off and he desperately tries to pull it back on. Without it he is nothing. Great stuff
I'm the other guy that dislikes the movies and this is a great scene. Why is that? I don't want to say it's the only really human scene in the film but seeing the monster have such an obvious insecurity is more compelling than any number of stalking scenes

Not him, but maybe you just don't like the movie? There are plenty of movies I've seen that I don't like but can't call bad. For instance, I've never made it more than halfway through The Godfather, but I can't call it a bad movie.
I personally think all the things you complained about were great, like Dr. Loomis chilling at the Myres' house the whole movie. He didn't know where Michael was or what he was doing, he only knew he would eventually come home. The police were pretty incompetent, yeah, but I think it makes the movie more realistic. These peons have never encountered a pure killing machine like Michael before, and since it's Halloween, they're having a hell of a time trying to track down a man in a mask, and Halloween is apparently awful for policemen anyways, since everyone wants to prank call the cops on that night. I also think the fact that you see Michael often makes the movie even more horrifying and massively adds to the tension. The scene where one of the girls is backing up into a doorframe and Michael's mask comes into veiw slowly behind her gives me chills to this day.

Original Hallowen > Original Friday the 13th

The Friday the 13th series > The Halloween series

I'll holocaust you if you post again.

Sorry guys, but you all know it's true.

I don't even like the Friday the 13th movies and I agree with you. After 2, the sequels are COMPLETELY hit or miss, even if I still really really like 4 and 5. In fact, the only one I outright dislike is 3, and even then I don't hate it.

anything else similar to videodrome? loved this movie and the disturbing surrealist style

seconding this

This is a fact. The original Halloween is a God tier slasher but after 3 the series degenerated into bland slasher cliches. The Friday the 13th series has always been schlock but most of the movies are immensely entertaining.

I'm like this with Rosemary's Baby. It's not a bad movie at all but a lot of the things it does have influenced movies going forward so I've seen similar things elsewhere. Then when I do watch something like Rosemary's Baby or the Exorcist, it's all stuff I've seen imitated countless times. It's really annoying and I'm a faggot for watching these movies so far down the line but christ, they've totally permeated the genre. At least I'm mindful of their influence and can appreciate them that way.

It sure sounds like you like them

Check out David Cronenberg's other horror films. He made some really weird stuff in the 70s and 80s.

No, I meant the Halloween movies. I don't care for most of the Ft13th movies but I can agree that most of them are objectively better than most of the later Halloween movies

Isn't this called The Seinfeld Effect, or something?

Yes and I never understood that. There is nothing that has the same voice as Seinfeld besides making unlikeable characters likable

To be fair Halloween 4 is pure kino

Are Friday the 13th and The Evil Dead the only horror franchises that arguably got better instead of worse? A Nightmare on Elm Street had some great sequels but none of them topped or matched the original, Halloween went off the rails after III, Hellraiser went off the rails after II and there are countless other horror franchises that became unwatchable after 1-3 sequels.

Friday the 13th got better, then got worse, then got better again, then got worse and stayed worse.

youtube.com/watch?v=guY4cuELvLw

>Michael's resurrection
>His inhuman movements as he slowly rises to his feet
>The score, those stabs of piano, recalling some kind of voodoo ritual, seeming to bring life to Michael once more
>His, zombie like, almost robotic movements
>His sudden pounce, as he lunges for Laurie's throat
>His body, dead once more on the fallen leafy, grass
>His mysterious absence
>A montage of carefully framed shots of his recent haunts
>The almost wheezy, heavy breathing, dubbed overtop, suggesting he could be anywhere
>The montage, continued, as the breathing is double tracked, triple tracked and on, into a cacophony of sadistic, choked, wet panting; An orchestra of killers waiting around every corner

If you don't get why people like this movie, there's nothing anyone can tell you.

I really dug Cigarette Burns.

Pic related

Turner Classic Movies is my favorite.

Pretty sure the reasoning is that a lot of shows and movies have taken inspiration and ideas from Seinfeld and thus when viewing the show itself, you've seen a lot of the jokes and situations before, and thus the humor is lost on you, even though Seinfeld came up with them first.

halloween 6 is best

youtube.com/watch?v=o2xkoviNMxE

This is an absolutely true statement. Rarely do you see such enlightenment.

Friday the 13th is t necessarily scary, but rather they're fun as fuck to watch with friends.

The only bad one id say is part 9

I think I know what you mean.

Try these:
Naked Lunch
John Dies at the End
Jacob's Ladder
Existenz

No. Children simply are not part of horror kino...

They are when they are the killers.

>The Evil Dead
>arguably got better
TED series got worse in nearly every way.

>horror

horror/comedy is still horror.

How wan't this tense? I just don't know.

>part 5 not terrible

That's why i said re-edit. You could lose that in the same way the producers cut of 6(?) changed a lot.

Part 5 has some memorable moments and very likable characters. It also does something different in a good way, as opposed to part 9

>wasn't even directed by Carpenter
He did co-direct it, but he's uncredited.

Still shit, though

Always

The Changeling.

One of the scariest horror movies I've seen. Legitimate horror, no jump scares, tension is built properly, refreshing amount of scenes outside of the main setting, interesting story, deaths hold weight (Similar to Deliverance in that aspect).

Don't you guys ever get tired of Halloween and the Thing? They're great, but they've been talked about to death.

>The Evil Dead got better
They got worse, all the way down the line.
Deep Red (American cut) > Suspiria > Tenebrae > Phenomena > Inferno > Opera

one aspect about H2 I really love is how it shows the fallout of its predecessor. It plays out in real time, and in particular how it uses Romero's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD airing on the local tv station as a tool to show that (movie is starting in the old couple's house near the beginning, later on the hospital security is watching it in his office). And the fact that the main character is in a bed asleep literally until the climax is something that has no right to work as well as it does.
I love how well Carpenter's & this one work as a double feature. It's like you're getting two sides of the same coin. The first is a very small-scale taut suspense thriller, while the sequel is just a full-blown goddamn horror movie. The scope is widened drastically, gore is turned up to 11, and suddenly there becomes an overt emphasis on the quantity, brutality, & variety of the kill scenes: the perfect embodiment of 80's horror.
And don't even get me started on that gloriously over-the-top synth score. There's one particular moment that never fails to get me, it's in the scene where the nurse finds the doctor dead with a syringe in his eye right before getting syringe-stabbed herself, and there's this big thunderous synth "wwwwwwwwwwwwoooooAAAAAAAAOOOoooowwwww" that just hilariously reeks of 80's decadence. I feel like the editor must've had so much cocaine in their system when they added that in.

rob zombie's Halloween 2

>Halloween II
>Good

You should watch more horror movies.

I actually just bought the 30th anniversary blu ray of Return of the Living Dead today, and am watching it right now. Goddamn, I love that movie. Linnea Quigley in her prime was one of the hottest women to have ever lived.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. (1974)

The Blair Witch Project

Completely original style of filmmaking and marketing. Simple story with no excess bullshit. Great buildup of tension. Scared the shit out of me first several times I saw it without even showing me anything scary.

Will love found footage flicks forever because of it even though they're 90% trash.

Faggot.

Dracula's Daughter is my all-time fav. By far the most underrated Universal monster.

Halloween, followed by Silver Bullet and the original Salem's Lot.

yeah she was great