So what the fuck happened with these alien yeerk things in TNG

So what the fuck happened with these alien yeerk things in TNG

They made a huge deal at the end about an incoming invasion and it was never mentioned again in any series

Other urls found in this thread:

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Conspiracy_(episode)
youtube.com/watch?v=z9G5ciMqFNM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

they bring them back in the DS9 novels

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Conspiracy_(episode)

>Writer Tracy Tormé, adapting a story by Robert Sabaroff to The Next Generation, had hoped to make "Conspiracy" a commentary on the Iran/Contra Affair, but this potentially controversial notion was nixed. A plot by Starfleet officers out to undermine the Prime Directive (already introduced six episodes before in "Coming of Age"), turned out to be the result of an infestation of alien insects, not part of Tormé's original approach.

>The original version of the script did not feature alien parasites; the conspiracy in question was simply a military coup within Starfleet, Gene Roddenberry vehemently opposed such an idea, since he believed Starfleet would never stoop to such methods; there was just no way Tormé could get away with suggesting that the Federation was anything less than a perfect government. Thus the alien angle was introduced at his insistence. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine later featured a similar plot, however, in the two-part episodes "Homefront" and "Paradise Lost".

>Indeed, the whole idea of the episode, its violence, and its unresolved ending caused quite a stir, but Robert Justman, Rick Berman, and Rob Lewin backed Tormé against the objections of Maurice Hurley, and the show stood pretty much as he had intended it, with the topical references subtly shoved under the carpet. Things did not go so well for writer Tormé in the future; he was left with the feeling that, as far as creative freedom for writers, the second half of Star Trek: The Next Generation's second season was the best part of the series as a whole.

>Although the ending pointed toward a possible followup of the parasite theme, none was ever produced.

Section 31 probably killed them all or something

>Gene Roddenberry vehemently opposed such an idea, since he believed Starfleet would never stoop to such methods; there was just no way Tormé could get away with suggesting that the Federation was anything less than a perfect government.

Star Trek got so much better after he died

The Federation was boring as fuck when it was perfect all the time

This.

I also kind of have this pet hypothesis that when they realized the ferenghi failed as an intimidating enemy they were considering these parasites as the main enemies to the galaxy, you can see similarities between them and the eventual threats they ultimately came up with in the Borg and the Dominion. Assimilation, paranoia through race based subterfuge etc.

Conspiracy is one of my favorite episodes, but a lot of people don't like I've found.

what a gruesome scene for television at the time

I remember reading somewhere that the Borg were a direct product of these things, and some executive wanting to see more tech in the show.

They seem to be a lot like the Trill too

I always found the Trill weird and how no one points out how fucked up they are , they were treated like freaks in TNG as they should be

Raising a whole species telling them as they grow up they should want to be a host for some space slug

>extends your lifespan
>gives you several lifetimes of knowledge and experience to draw on
>your personality and memories will continue on long after your death
sounds like a sweet deal to me

>They made a huge deal at the end about an incoming invasion and it was never mentioned again in any series

They decided the Borg were the better threat and went with that direction.

The first hint of the Borg, in The Neutral Zone, came only an episode after Conspiracy, though they wouldn't be "properly" introduced for another sixteen episodes.

Sounds plausible. I know the Borg were in part chosen because producers wanted to flaunt their higher budget on these shows in comparison to the original series a bit.

>I always found the Trill weird and how no one points out how fucked up they are , they were treated like freaks in TNG as they should be

Same I think the actresses who played them were hot but If I lived in the Trek universe I'd be too grossed out to fuck a parasite. I think the first Riker episode where he falls for one is the only one that really explores the bizarre aspects of the race in any real way.

This isn't warhammer 40k.

It was nice and cozy to have some actual good guys in sci fi.

>It was nice and cozy to have some actual good guys in sci fi.

I agree, too bad they get treated like trash.

>It doesn't extend your lifespan, you extend it's lifespan.
>You don't gain knowledge and experience, the Trill does. You merely have access for the time you're joined.
>Your personality and memories become part of the Trill, you're still dead
Sounds like a great deal, for the Trill.

Section 31 are total fuck ups. It's their mission to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen.

Why does he play an asshole in everything he's in?

Small mouth, nasal voice, stiff mid section, but not effeminate enough to be the stuck up half a fag.

>They decided the Borg were the better threat and went with that direction.
They were right. They then proceeded to take away anything that made the Borg a threat, and overexposed them at every open opportunity.

one of THE best character actors out there, smarmy politician, corrupt warden, cunty lawyer, he's your guy.

I just start to think when you become that "guy" in acting who is always chosen to be a prick that I would wake up and start to question what everyone around me really thinks.

>people ITT using "race" for "species" when talking about aliens

Who cares? If you want something else, you watch something else that suits you. You don't try to change something you don't like into something you do like. There's plenty of other shows.

Well, Voyager did

Borg Queen was the beginning of terminal illness
The fucking Borg kids were when they officially died

Maybe, or you could enjoy the fuck out of it, some actors don't like to be portrayed as villains because they've built up too much of a good guy image and others can't wait to sink their teeth into them, mostly because they get lots more interesting dialogue than the hero.

There was a borg baby in the very first borg episode.

Yes but that was to explain how the borg work

The baby wasnt a character

They didnt have wacky lil borg adventures like Voyager did , the Borg kids as characters were fucking horrendous

Yeah but to be a candidate elevates the species as a whole.

Seems like that's their equivalent of becoming an astronaut.

Wasn't the Borg baby in "Q Who" meant to be artificially grown too? Then suddenly Voyager says they go out and assimilate kids and babies.

Hotess QT3.14 in all of Star Trek, btw.

Except literally anyone could do it

The Trill commission said only rare people could do it but found out literally and trill can hold one, they tried to kill dax to cover it up so everyone wouldnt ask for one because they didnt have enough Slugs

They weren't good guys though. They were psychotic emotionless super communists.

Why does Cred Forums like Ezri more than Jadzea

Ezri was a whiny little shit who complained about hard being a host is in every episode she was in

Jadzea was sexier anyway, mature women > pixie shits

I think almost every decent actor LOVES being the bad guy. It's usually been teh screenwriters because of the producers that don't like the embellishing and reveling in 'lewdness' of it.

WHO DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY DARTH VADER OR AGENT SMITH.

This is why you see some amazing indie actors playing in capeshit, like Willem Dafoe or Loki or Voldemort even.

It's so much fun to be the guy who says stuff like "DESTROY. EVERYTHING."

You don't get to do that everyday. Look at Fassbender. Guy could be in almost any role.

Because she's JUST LIKE US. Socially awkward, directionless, nerdy and introverted, of course Cred Forums can identify with that.

Jadz is traditionally hot, Ezri is cute Cred Forums born of anime, weirdos and reverse trap lovers, goes for cute every time.

why do you always misspell JADZIA

Cuz Ezri didn't plan to be a host at all, and Jadzia's actress was a terrible actress. Prove me wrong.

This was one of my favorites that was never followed up.

Jazdeia?

I'm watching the Enterprise pilot right now. Never thought I'd see a hot Vulcan get oiled up.

That is as good as the show gets. Vulcan of 9 and Quantum Leap captain are all that sustain it.

I like the hillbilly who works on the engine in all of the episodes except Cogenitor.

Commander Tucker is the true hero of Enterprise.

Damn, I'm actually enjoying this episode. I guess I'll start watching DS9, I just don't like looking at Neelix.

Quark is best girl

>I read about communism once!

I just powered through it, it's not nearly as bad as everyone says it is, or as bad as I thought it was when I was younger.

Might just be the lack of new Star Trek talking though.

I always found it weird that Star Trek is a very communist show , Gene was a communist

But the big baddies of TNG are the Borg , who embody all that is wrong with communism

I get why Gene approved the Ferengi who represented capitalism and all he hated

But the Borg should have been something Gene loved and revered

Gene explained this once and a few of the other main creators agreed with him. Their reasoning was essentially that what made the Borg so scary is they represent the dark side of collectivism and a search for knowledge. Their similarities with the federation to that extent are intentional in that they wanted an enemy that mirrored the goals of the federation but went horribly wrong at some point with it.

>The internet where only two extremes can exist
>Either all left or all right
> No in betweens , no middle ground
>Two competing ideas cannot be shared

Its just weird because Gene refused to ever paint the federation, his little communist paradise in a bad light, they have to always be perfect and show how great communism is. Then he has evil communists.

I dont remember ever seeing Capitalism shown in a good light though , Ferengi are evil and moralless, those humans who were dethawed and everyone on the Enterprise acts like they are cavemen for having used money.

Speaking of the fact the federation uses no money.

How the fuck do they pay for supplies from anyone. Especially ships like the Enterprise who were visiting new worlds without anyway to get supplies from those planets

They barter supplies and technology.

>How the fuck do they pay for supplies from anyone. Especially ships like the Enterprise who were visiting new worlds without anyway to get supplies from those planets

The federation and most of the other alpha/beta quadrant star empires are big enough that their main concern isn't a lack of supplies it's coordinating resources to where they're needed. Once you become space faring and conquer enough space resources become over abundant and capitalism makes little sense. Replicators and transporters also solve a lot of the distribution issues a lot of middle men and big companies would formally have served a function with.

Also the Ferengi were shown in a good light in a few DS9 episodes.

My understanding is that contrary to the recent movies, of TGN First Contact Earth had suffered a nuclear fall out, and what came of it was technology and people with purpose.

No one is forced to be in Starfleet, it acts as any military operation where you choose to serve to the best of your abilities.
Supposedly technology fixed hunger and famine.

Gene Roddenberry firmly believed technology would fix everything.
Not saying I agree, but that was his belief.

With what, their prime directive wont let them give federation tech to other planets

and if they are already in the federation they have nothing to trade since they have the same tech

Prime directive only relates the restriction of technology to cultures too primitive to obtain it on their own. It could be an informational exchange: "Oh, so that's how your warp drive works? well this is how WE did it, etc."

besides, they could replicate a bunch of aluminum or plutonium or whatever and give it away to basically everyone for free.

You've all see the Captain's Summit recorded in 2010?

youtube.com/watch?v=z9G5ciMqFNM

This was the most inside conversation I'd ever seen.