Member when South Park episodes had original plots and not just parodies of current events?

Member when South Park episodes had original plots and not just parodies of current events?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8MEvdsCzmKw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No because I was only like 4 years old at that time.

Not really

80% of ALL south park episodes are parodies of current events, regardless of season.

However, this whole season long story arc isn't working well.

They were only original to you back then because you were a child/teenager and didn't KNOW they were parodying current events.

Although there was a certain originality to it, because back then they would take the topic as a theme and make it relatively self-contained, and fill the rest with simpsons-esque pop-culture references, whereas post season-7 or so takes the issue in question, ties it to a well-known film or story, and then just does a copypaste parody of THAT story with the current even algebraically replacing the characters, plot, setting, etc.

nah, they did something different this season tho

not a fan of whatever they did to make it objectively worse than the previous seasons

So like season 1 and 2 maybe?

i think it worked well last season and it was refreshing

>However, this whole season long story arc isn't working well.

We are literally one week into the new season, you impatient tool.

I think it's fairly obvious by now Trey and Matt are really into the idea of telling consistent higher concept ongoing stories now. Whenever a new season has audio commentaries you can clearly tell the pair of them are very proud or big fans of their own work when it comes to multi episode story arcs like Imagination Land and Cartoon Wars.

try making an animated show in 6 days, shit is metal. honestly I think this method keeps things from stagnating, maybe sometimes it misses but I admire the craft

The show has been on for 20 years.
That's fucking insane.

> Patrick Duffy

even the very first episode is a parody of the UFO abduction stories that were making the rounds in backwater mountain towns back in 97

Last season was really good, but this new episode is probably one of the worst so far...

What, like the first three episodes?

I think the running story arcs work great.

Went through the exact same thing as The Simpsons.

Just let it die with dignity.

I certainly can remember the last time it was funny or witty. I think I was 12 at the time.

so, season 18?

Member when South Park had a decent pace and didn't try to parody everything from the last 4 months in the span of one episode?

Member when they would just take ONE solid idea and use that for the A plot, then produce something original but parallel for the B plot?

Current events like paid shills kamrat.

Anyone still watching this shit is more juvenile than capeshitters.

funny one guy
you're really funny

i didnt expect anyone to make that joke at all

dumbass shithead motherfucking cocksucker stop posting forever i swear to fucking god

the appeal has always been juvenile, but now it's just irredeemably bad

Member when randy wasn't completely fucking retarded.

No, it was definitely single digit season number. Just like your IQ, bud.

Nice tempertantrum son

south park was never funny in the earlier seasons and in fact it has become progressively much better. you were just an idiot 12 year old and from the sound of it not much has changed since then.

and yet here you guys are making sure you need to shitpost on Cred Forums about how something is 'juvenile' lel

Ever consider it's you who maintained the mental age of 12 into your 20's? Hence you still find south park funny season 10 onwards.

I've never seen a south park joke that's so obvious how it's going to play out, mmember berries turn into sour grapes, lol?

I've been here 8 fucking years and every year is the fucking same discussion in regards to South Park, it's like clockwork.

Yet you keep watching it.

Shut the fuck up kid.

U mad?

Damn straight,I'm gonna keep watching and bitching.

Congrats on your 8 years too.

>this nigga still watches South Park

The past 2 seasons were so bad
>lol Randy is lorde!
>gluten free!
>dude whole foods!

I didn't mind when they referenced pop culture but every fucking episode now is political humor. Regardless of political affiliation, it's just not funny. We get it trump is fucking orange and dumb and Hillary is old and dying. Can we have another episode like AWESOME-O or willzyx

But imagination land and cartoon wars were good because they weren't just
>dude politics lol!

Friendly reminder that South Park jumped the shark with the scientology episode.

>killed chef
>show becomes inherently bad
Hmmm

>But imagination land and cartoon wars were good

When was the last time South Park actually made you laugh out loud?

who seriously are you to think this

is member berries supposed to symbolize or parody something? I don't get it

Or is it just a physical manifestation of nostalgiafagging

trump dancing to safety dance

I feel like these newer episodes are alienating the rest of the world outside of America. With all these new episodes relating to topic events based mostly in America, most people don't have a fucking clue what's going on.

It can still be funny most time, but half the time now, I don't know what's happening anymore.

No I don't think so.

Buckle up, Buckaroos!

I wasn't particularly crazy about either when they first aired, but I'll take those over the shit we have now.

Also I cannot stand the fucking coon trilogy and coon and friends shit

>AWESOME-O
Dude, Adam Sandler sucks, get it?

Oh yeah, that was good.

yesterday, they showed some of last seasons episodes and PC Principal had me in tears

The latter.
South Park was always like this, I've never gotten everything in it. Or the Simpsons for that matter.

exactly. op got confused in his own shitposting

oh come on, it´s not fair to measure the quality of the show by its ability to make me laugh when my life has gone so much to shit over the past few years that i chose to bury my emotions just to not get the idea of killing myself. even being just a little bit happy can result in crying because my emotional status is so fucked by now

At least the joke is still relatable over 10 years later. Garrison choosing Katelyn Jenner as his VP is already dated only a year later

Cartman's "girls are funny" speech

What's wrong with this joke? It's on ethat holds true for the last 15 years. It's not some shitty "happened in the last few months" current event parody that will age like shit in two years

Every so often they might have something related to current events and that's fine. This is happening too often now.

Take Ginger Kids for example. They picked a topic everyone knows about and made fun of it. Nothing else. Now it feels like you need to know a lot more backstory now to get a joke,

Also, this one one joke, not the premise of an entire episode and the whole damn season

Almost every scene with PC principal
Buckle up Buckaroo

It was nowhere near as funny as their Rob Schneider movie trailers.
Season 1 had Patrick Duffy, Tina Yothers, Sally Struthers, Barbara Streisand and Philip Glass in it off the top of my head. All people I'd never heard of when I first saw those episodes.

'member Jakov and the Jakovasaurs?

First season and a bit sure, new show with the target audience just in America. Now everyone knows about it and half of the stuff people wouldn't know.

The member berries

This is not your blog shut the fuck up

the last episode

thank god i'm a dumb idiot i can enjoy so many more things in life

No ALL of them are unoriginal and ARE parodies of current events.

Now shut the fuck up and eat your member berries you twat.

Man I remembered when people railed on this episode for its use of Current Events.

Few years from now people will talk positively of South Park skewering Trump and SJWs.

you seem upset

>a show only gets worse as it progresses in seasons.

Wew, you're dumber than I thought.

What are the best non-current events related episodes? I vote for Marjorine

I tried to think of the best episodes but almost all of them are about current events.
I guess I'll have to go with Casa Bonita.

Because the WoW episode changed South Park forever, it was so popular and therefore made more money so the jews changed the concept of their show

I don't follow.

>Putting more work in an episode than your audience is able to comprehend
You must be NEET who never worked a day?

It's a meme episode but good times with weapons. It was one of the first episodes that aired when I started really getting into South Park and I was a huge weeb back then

Scott tennoman, mormons cancled, good tines with weapons

Child abduction is not funny (or whatever that one was called)

He said NON-current events related.

It was a thing? I thought it was adressing general problem, not exact issue. I don't know, I don't live in US.

No, South Park was always a parody of current events.

You idiots are so fucking jaded that you can't even explain why you hate something anymore.

ITT: Twats born in '98 who don't remember the shock and hilarity of pre-2006 South Park.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

MOMMY I FUCKING HATE SOUTH PARK MAKE THEM STOP POSTING

>Member when South Park episodes had original plots and not just parodies of current events?

>everyone in town acts insane because of current event
>Stan and Kyle act as voice of reason
>Cartman acts like stupid spoiled kid
>boys goes to the Chef for advice
>gives advice after singing innuendo song
>Kenny dies
>"You know I've learned something today.[...]"

wow, such originality

It used to be 60-80%
Now it's 100%
That makes a big difference. I was fine with the political episodes when they were balanced with bitmap episodes but now everything is political

Early South Park was pretty bad. It only kept going because it was original, but the original stuff is not as good as the new relevant episodes.

You're the one eating the member berries if you think the gay dog and dancing shit was better.

Even Tray and Matt said they hate first 2.5 seasons.

>Early South Park was pretty bad.

The Big Gay Al, BEEFCAKE!, Pink Eye, Starvin Marvin, and Mr. Hankey are better than all of seasons 14-current combined. Just because your weren't born when it was doesn't mean it wasn't fucking great.

>Even Tray and Matt said they hate first 2.5 seasons.

Irrelevant. Lots of artists hate their early stuff, but that doesn't mean it isn't quality work.

John Lennon thought early Beatles was kinda trash, but there was a ton of great music in there (much better than his artsy shit later on).

A physical representation with no lead in. Kyle just passively mentions them and then mackey takes out a bunch of talking grape. It came out of fucking nowhere and since there was no context established it was literally "lmao so randumXD" tier. It was one of the lowest points in SP history and in the middle of a very mediocre episode with flat obvious jokes, sent me over the edge. I'm done with SP they're not even trying to be funny anymore as long as they get their stupid little messages out they are satisfied.

south park is mostly unwatchable atm, they just keep doing the same thing over and over

>kids are concerned with something, its an allegory for a real life thing, it seems silly, but ...

> satirically-serious music kicks in
> camera cuts to the police or the FBI or a secret organisation and turns out their concerns were actually real

Those episodes fucking sucked only starvin marvin was classic of all the things u listed

I could just as easiky name scuttlebut, 5assed monkey jarcoffasaurs or other retarded shit from the early seasons

I remember watching it when it first came out and loving it at the time. Now looking back those episodes are not as good.

1. ???
2. jews ruined it
3. complain

>Those episodes fucking sucked only starvin marvin was classic of all the things u listed

What a stupid opinion. I would rather watch any of those eps than (her derr lets take last weeks headline and make an ep about it) episodes.

>I could just as easiky name scuttlebut, 5assed monkey jarcoffasaurs or other retarded shit from the early seasons
No season of TV is perfect, stupid. There's bad episodes in any show. But at least they were ORIGINAL BAD, not just "lets just do the hot topic of the week".

>he doesn't get critisism of modern pop culture consumer who is addicted to reboots and adaptations of his childhood shows/books/etc.
wew lad, it's kind of embarrassing to not get South Park

So you'd rather watch any " episode" rather than an original plot?

leave him, he overdoes on memberberries.

>leave him, he overdoes on memberberries.
Yeah, you're right. And The Force Awakens is better than Empire Strikes Back. Today's shit rap music is better than 90's rock. The millennial "lets have transgender bathrooms" are better than the youth of gen x.

Sometimes nostalgia is true.

>And The Force Awakens is better than Empire Strikes Back.
I want new franchises, not sequeling or rebooting stuff
>Today's shit rap music is better than 90's rock.
Not my fault you listen to shit music, do some research
>The millennial "lets have transgender bathrooms" are better than the youth of gen x.
They're both equally obnoxious

Chill out dude

That's not my preference in general, that's just when South Park gets better. The quality of the show has improved overall, the early episodes do not seem as good in comparison.

One of my favorite episodes is the Easter conspiracy.

South Park went to shit when they decided they wanted 10 episodes seasons once a year.

The season wide continuity makes them seem like one long episode that drags on and on. Plus it kind of kills any sort of rewatchability

>I want new franchises, not sequeling or rebooting stuff
You don't speak for the rest of your shit generation. TFA was a critical and financial hit. Anyone under 20 thought it was the best Star Wars movie
>Not my fault you listen to shit music, do some research
Nothing today compares to the music of 20+ years ago
>They're both equally obnoxious
I never mentioned anything about being obnoxious. It just shows how messed up your stupid generation is.

You talk about how you don't want reboots or sequels, but you dismiss the old original South Park epidoes in favor of the exact same "headline ep" every season.

>That's not my preference in general, that's just when South Park gets better.
That's when it got worse. They started getting real lazy. "Hey guys, why write an original idea when we can just open the newspaper and parody it! It's SNL meets cutout animation!"

>go on say something about "muh vagiiiina"
SJW strawman cartman is best cartman

You mean seasons 1-5? Yes.

When was that? When he solved spontaneous combustion by telling people to fart more? When he jerked off in a hot tub with Gerald? When he got divorced from Sharon for two days?

careful fellas, don't piss of the contrarian in it's natural habitat

Holy shit fucking kill yourself

Alright niggers. I'm about to redpill the fuck out of you on the exact moment SP went to shut and jumped the gun. It was the DMV episode.

After working for almost 2 seasons to re-humanize Eric Cartman's character, and patch up the mess they had made particularly with him and Kyle, they screwed it all up.

Cartman used to be an insecure fat boy that played an ironically racist role in the group, and an outlet for Trey's self-hatred against the Jews (of which he is). Then over the course of time Cartman and Kyle's relationship got flanderized to where they just called each other fat and Jew all the time to fill up time. The same was true of Cartman who ended up going more and more extreme for no reason.

The writers Semmes to have realized this and started working on it. We see Eric's struggle with his dolls, we see Eric finally really learn about his father, we see Eric and Kyle being good friends when Stan moves away.

And then the fucking DMV episode comes along and the first lines for absolutely no reason are "fucking you fatboy" and "fuck you Jew". Not to mention the rest of the episode was complete shit with the jokes being "haha I fisted her vagina durrr".
That was the true moment South Park died in my mind. Seasons of work lost because the writers realised it was easier to run on populat tropes than ideas.

This needs to stop. So fucking lazy.

Theres a difference between pop culture commentary in episodes and dedicating entire episodes/seasons to a single subject. This is why i thought the stick of truth was great, a lot of the writing and jokes relied on the town and characters again which they hadnt done in over a decade

Good Times with Weapons is a current event episode. It references the public and media outrage over the nip slip at the Super Bowl while violence on television is considered fine.

Anyone that enjoys South Park past the age of 16 is most likely mentally handicap.

>Good Times with Weapons is a current event episode. It references the public and media outrage over the nip slip at the Super Bowl while violence on television is considered fine.

It's a social commentary/media criticism episode. They used the outrage over the Superbowl nip slip to make a great episode.

If that ep were made today, it would be about the nipslip happening, and Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake coming to South Park to perform at the local football game only to have Mrs. Garrison seducing Justin and forcing him to rip off his bra to show off his new breast implants.

See the difference. Good Times with Weapons was creative, funny, fun, and a great ep. New eps are just lazy headline remakes.

I was born a Crip.

Fucking kek, barely. So the last 3 minutes of the episode reference something that happened in the news means the entire episode was a current event episode? Get out of here you silly goose

He gets it. He's saying it's too hamfisted at the expense of humor. How did you not get that?

>camera cuts to two men in lab coats
>Scientist 1: "My God! Everything is getting lazier!"
>Scientist 2: "Jesus H. Christ. What could be the cause?"
>Scientist 1: "We believe it's...[current event]."
>Scientist 2: "[current even]?"
>Scientist 1: "That's right, goddammit! And if we don't stop it, the whole world as we know it...will become a lot lazier."
>cut to ext. bus stop

Who even fucking cares about south park. Even at its best it was never exactly amazing

I can hear their voices saying all this, bravo.

It seems like Trey is beyond the point of wanting to use his show to be funny anymore. He's using the show as a platform for presenting his criticisms of modern America and having his writing staff throw in a dank recurring gag to placate the lil memesters in his audience and generate guaranteed social media buzz. Beyond that basic level of security from network interference I don't think he gives a shit whether an episode of South Park is 'funny'.

My guess is he'd rather present his views on 'German collective guilt' as a function of modern American culture in an unamusing way than dilute his message for the sake of being 'funny'.

If I had a show that is virtually immortal and captures an audience as large as South Park's i'd probably end up using it to disseminate some redpills to the masses too.

Kick the baby

The entire episode was about how showing things like Butters getting a ninja star stuck in his eye, then getting dressed up as a dog and going to the hospital where they don't care about his injuries, and then getting taken to a vet who doesn't care about his injuries as he gets pissed on by dogs is fine but a little nudity causes outrage. This is perfectly exemplified by the scene where the couple are driving and sees the boys ninja fighting and then just drive off.

>Member when South Park episodes had original plots and not just parodies of current events?
So like midway through 1st season?

I think you're reaching. You can see the connections in anything if you're looking for them. The couple drove off in that scene because it was supposed to contrast the bad ass anime fight scene we were being shown to the reality of a bunch of dumb kids playing ninjas.

the running story episodes are the best episodes though

at some point they decided to become 100% current events, but I think it's because they just ran out of ideas. The show is basically more interesting as a result, if you really miss the early seasons with all the poo poo pee pee jokes you can rewatch them I guess.

>You don't speak for the rest of your shit generation.
You don't even know how old am I. Also I don't live in the US, I'm not sure I can beput into any generation at all.
>Anyone under 20 thought it was the best Star Wars movie
You expect 20yo to have refine taste in movies?
>Nothing today compares to the music of 20+ years ago
Again, stop listening to shitty music. You do realize people still play and create rock music? Now with the internet it's way easier to explore music genres that it was 20 years ago. Visit Cred Forums somtimes or literally any other site dedicated to music
>I never mentioned anything about being obnoxious. It just shows how messed up your stupid generation is.
They are equally shit. There's no "better generation", there's only another generation.

>You talk about how you don't want reboots or sequels, but you dismiss the old original South Park epidoes in favor of the exact same "headline ep" every season.
I always tread SP as source on "what's going on in US today". Now that I'm older I enyjoy more creators commentary on social problems, than wacky cartoon fart jokes from older seasons.

Butters very own episode

last wednesday

Last week's episode when Garrison/Trump finally noticed he hadn't a clue what to do when he's put in office.

Jenner's careless "... How the fuck should i know?" is the best delivered line of the whole episode.

He said best not edgiest

>the people who made 'Goobacks' can't get over Donald Trump's working class populism
Wow, I'm shocked.

>You don't even know how old am I. Also I don't live in the US, I'm not sure I can beput into any generation at all.
You sound like a millennial twat. If the shoe fits...
>You expect 20yo to have refine taste in movies?
Sure. 20 year olds in the 90s, 80s, 70s, etc had better taste than the 20 year olds today who can't even watch their favorite movie without looking at their phone 600 times.
>Again, stop listening to shitty music.
Again, there is good music today, but it doesn't compare to the music of the past.
>They are equally shit. There's no "better generation", there's only another generation.
So the "lets let in all muslim immigrants, white people evil, transgender bathrooms, and loving the female Ghostbuster remake for political reasons" is equal to generations of the past? Are you fucking serious?

>I always tread SP as source on "what's going on in US today".
That's why it's interesting to you. We see this shit all week/month and by the time it gets to South Park it's boring as fuck.
>Now that I'm older I enyjoy more creators commentary on social problems
They're not commenting on social problems now. They did more of that in old episodes. Now it's just "headline parody" ala SNL.
>than wacky cartoon fart jokes from older seasons.
The fact that you're trivializing episodes by saying stupid shit like this shows what a retard you are.

Summer Sucks. Genuine South Park kino.

>"We're going to Mexico Ned"
>"Mmmmm are fireworks legal in Mexico?"
>"Hell, everything's legal in Mexico. It's the American way."

i found the scene funny because I watch Trump rallies religiously and the Garrison rally scene was pretty much a perfect representation of what it's like.

Really Garrison has just gone one or two notches above the absurdity of Donald, who has yet to say he'll fuck all the immigrants to death. He does openly talk about killing people though.

youtube.com/watch?v=8MEvdsCzmKw

Jesus Christ that butthurt.
Why are you caring so much about 20 year olds?

The one where the guy is frozen in ice for 2 years and they treat him like he's an ancient cave man.

It's been airing for nearly two decades, underage. It was stale long ago

No butthurt, just pointing out facts.

I don't care about 20 year olds, that's the whole point. I just find it hilarious that when someone says "it was better back when" twats like you say things like "herr derr nostalgia! Rose colored glasses!" And you don't like it when I point out how shitty the tastes of your generation are.

>shitty the tastes of your generation are.
>generation
You're talking to one guy.

Report to your nearest re-education camp for reprogramming, cis white male.

All of our presidential candidates talk about killing people though. A prerequisite for the job is promising to kill people in ways that are uniquely superior to all of the other candidates' killing platforms.

Well if you only bitch about "it was better back then" and "current generation is shit", what reaction you expect?

Oh come on. Obama kills some terrorist in Pakistan every month. Trump's just telling it like it is.

Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton threatened to go to war over her email leaks.

I only use those attacks when it with the "this generation is the best, take off the rose colored glasses grandpa" comments.

But logically speaking it's hard to deny how shit the current generation is. I wish it wasn't the case, but it's true. Douche and Turd used to be great choices, now it's insane SJW and fucking nuts Trump.

>says she'll respond with military forces if Russia hacks US
Yet, people are afraid that Trump will start WW3

>fucking nuts Trump
Maybe if the establishment hadn't totally dismissed working class concerns about being undercut by illegal labor for decades as 'racism', this wouldn't have happened. I can't see how that's the current generation's fault though, I'd say that's much more clearly on the shoulders of the generations prior to millenials.

Yeah, because a billionaire who uses foreign labor to build his hotels totally cares about the working class.

My point is that the youth of today is fucking nuts. 20 years ago Trump and Hilary wouldn't have gotten out of primary season.

>Yeah, because a billionaire who uses foreign labor to build his hotels totally cares about the working class.
At least he's addressing things the working class cares about. He may or may not be sincere, but simply being willing to TALK about it is edgy these days.

>My point is that the youth of today is fucking nuts. 20 years ago Trump and Hilary wouldn't have gotten out of primary season.
The current generation is impoverished. 20 years ago, there was still a middle class, so Trump wouldn't have been needed.

Trump has been a figure people have wanted to run for president since the 70s my man. Way to show your age though.

>Trump has been a figure people have wanted to run for president since the 70s my man
Only retards like you wanted that to happen.

I just asked my dad if he has ever heard rumblings of people wanting trump to run and he is very into politics.

Until now there has been nothing. You're dumb

>The current generation is impoverished. 20 years ago, there was still a middle class, so Trump wouldn't have been needed.
Maybe so.
That still doesn't give a pass to the SJW shit. A terror attack a week after 9/11 and the media and SJWs are being to sensitive to the fact that a Muslim did it. It's unfuckingreal.

Do I need to link you to the various footage over the years of Trump being asked if he will run for president? We are living in the digital age where we have proof oof everything. Sorry about your job shill.

Fuck off

Remember when Saddam Hussein was relevant?

>That still doesn't give a pass to the SJW shit. A terror attack a week after 9/11 and the media and SJWs are being to sensitive to the fact that a Muslim did it. It's unfuckingreal.
SJWs don't speak for most millenials. They're mostly rich college kids with no fucking problems in their lives, and they're being actively enabled or encouraged by their professors.

SJWs are more a product of modern universities than they are of twitter or tumblr.

No need to be so salty, Seth, just because your show is even more terrible.

No they always did that

>SJWs are more a product of modern universities than they are of twitter or tumblr.

False. They're all the same. I know SJWs who never went to college. The others are insane Trump supporters (some of whom did go to college). How young people are being taken in by these 2 is crazy.

>I know SJWs who never went to college.The others are insane Trump supporters (some of whom did go to college).
I know one muslim who's cool guy and other that didn't blow up yet, so I guess they are all OK.
Nice anegdotal evidence faggot.

I mean, come on!

The show hasn't been the same without Chef

Do you guys ever think about stuff? Like just now I read OP's post and it just me thinking like "Who was the first person to ever say 'OP is a fag'? What were they like? Why was the OP a fag? What kind of world did they live in?"

The world is so full of unanswerable questions like these that sometimes I just cry a little bit.

No, it only means you grew up to be an insufferable hipster faggot with the attention span of a 10 years old.

>something that was in the news last year for a brief period of time falls out of the spotlight
>this makes you a hipster faggot
Wut