I wasn't much of a fan of Lynch's Dune film, although upon rewatching it, it isn't actually that bad

I wasn't much of a fan of Lynch's Dune film, although upon rewatching it, it isn't actually that bad.

The Harkonnen set designs are brilliant with its gothic design, although to me House Atreides should have looked more bright and colorful instead of it having gothic/dark like corridors (this should have only been for the Harkonnen world).

The pacing is the film's main weakness though. I do like the slowish first hour of the 3 hour version although once Paul is with the Fremen, the pace picks up incredibly fast and it enters the "Suicide Squad" syndrome of fast edits as it moves from scene to scene. This is why the 2000 mini series is much better with its second Act.

The music score is a 10/10. Definitely one of my favorite things about the film.

I wish that Lynch would release the 4 hour version on DVD. Yes there does exist a 4 hour version which combinded the graphic theatrical scenes (Barron pulling out the heart plug of the guy as blood squirts etc) with the 3 hour version extended scenes. People online have stated that this did exist on VHS back in the day but appears to be lost now.

But then oh well there are fanedits which combined the 2 versions to make a full epic picture I guess. Also the tv commercial transitions in the 3 hour version were annoying and they really should have re-edited it for the DVD release to proper cinema quality.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NMnM1Qww2xs
youtube.com/watch?v=bOFf79OhAIw
youtube.com/watch?v=dDwFgSAOBLA
youtube.com/watch?v=BKjpH2qO8XY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's not a bad film but it's a poor adaptation. The scope and sheer ambition of the film warm me to it. In the book the buildup to the Atreides downfall has more tension and I feel that's something that suffered on film.

You are correct about the pace and editing. It becomes too fast and furious and some transitions really jar. It's a shame because this beast of a creation was always going to have a tough birth.

As an intellectual property it suits the miniseries format well. There's a lot of exposition and world building to be done. I'm not really sure how you would split the book for a multi-film effort.

I can't wait for it to be reattempted at somepoint.

youtube.com/watch?v=NMnM1Qww2xs

Top notch.

Dune only works in book format and should not be adapted to film. Both the movie and mini-series suck ass and no series or movie will ever capture the breadth of thematic scope that the books have.

Great soundtrack on the film, though.

>I'm not really sure how you would split the book for a multi-film effort.
Why couldn't you split the film in the middle when Paul joins the Fremen?

It seems reasonable to do this and then you could get a good half hour in the sequel showing Paul and the Fremen properly going on battle quests and conquering regions.

I'd also want to see more of Barron getting up to "evil" stuff.

If they ever make a remake, they need to make it R rated because there is so much that you could do with it. Have you watched the Jodorowsky's Dune documentary? He had a lot of mature themes that would have worked so well on screen such as a drop of blood turning into semen, creating Paul's child etc and the way he envisioned Paul's father to die was absolutely horrifying with all his limbs being cut off as ordered by the Barron.

This film had some really good practicals

Yeah, storytelling doesn't work on this one but it is the most beatiful cinematography from early 80's. I would love to know more about those internesting looking side characters.

It also gave us this great french masterpiece:
youtube.com/watch?v=bOFf79OhAIw

Who /baliset/ here? This scene is awesome:
youtube.com/watch?v=dDwFgSAOBLA

Shaddam IV's throne room also looks amazing.

Has anyone seen the Jodorowsky's Dune documentary?

Agreed. There will never be a faithful adaptation. Even if someone managed to write a good script, there aren't enough actors/directors with sufficient restraint and skill. But if they do try to adapt it again, it should be limited to the first book, and could work as a trilogy.

>first movie starts before the beginning of the novel, uses Paul's education as a child to set up the universe for normies, then follows the book, continues until the night of the surprise attack
>second movie starts immediately where the first ended, goes until Paul drinks the water
>third movie finishes the book

As long as Irulan is used as a narrator sparingly, it could be done.

Yeah, I kind of wanted my time back afterwards. It felt more like a big commercial except the film doesn't exist.

aesthetically it's beautiful and it got the mood of the book right, but it would be almost impossible to adapt dune's story cinematically.

Oh. So it wasn't interesting at all?

there should be a Remake Directed by Mel Gibson

There are some small interesting bits like Giger's involvement and stuff that was later reused in other films but that's honestly most of what I can remember. Other than Jodorowsky saying how he's lovingly raping Dune (his words). Apart from some crude storyboards I also don't remember much production material they got to show off, so it's mostly a giant interview.

Explain yourself.

>Mel Gibson doing a fantasy where Christianity no longer exists, replaced by another religion
It wouldn't surprise me if he refused.

have you even watched Apocalypto?

You mean the movie where he gets to show off how horrible godless pagans were?

i hope whoever makes these threads daily on a board based on television will be skinned alive in public by a pack of rabid pittbulls

anything that is not a book about this series will ruin it. anything on the screen will ruin it.

kill yourself and stop consuming our air

sage

I agree with this. It sounds great, but outside of a few good parts, it kind of drags.

youtube.com/watch?v=BKjpH2qO8XY

Every time.

It is our way.

What a crazy old Slav. I like him now.

>movie about horrible pagans doing horrible things and then falling to their knees at the mere majesty of Christians
kek

>I was raping...but with love

Not sure that would hold up in court.

that's one of the things the film honestly didn't sufficiently portrait: the Baron being evil but also highly intelligent and calculating

is this worth watching?

Yes

Yes. Best Dune adaptation by far.

I wonder if the world would ever be ready for a children adaptation with the twins at their book ages

It just occurred to me that if they ever make more Dune stuff, people will just call it a Star War rip-off and get upset because it isn't as accessible or fun. There'll be no money in it, so there's no chance of anyone putting in the effort.

Frank's son and that faggot Anderson are doing Dune stuff and they are SW EU-tier.

No I meant adaptations, not fanfics.

They will, soon. TV series I'd bet. Wanna do a role call?

Sean Bean as Duncan so he can die and die and die.

Good call.

Or maybe as Duke Leto, since he's kinda old now.

No, the meme potential is too strong.

Amy Schumer as Baron Harkonnen

Like people are saying its a good sci fi movie but a bad Dune movie.

I liked children of dune.

>I wish that Lynch would release the 4 hour version on DVD.

Why not bluray ?

Anyway, all in favour of a 4 hour version in any format.

I've avoided watching it because I don't want to feel sad that it will never happen

What's up with the fish dude?

What's up with the fish dude?

should've been made into a tv miniseries

it's idiotic when producers are so dead-set on having a feature film that they throw out an entire tv show's worth of material to get it

Spice gets you high.

It's fun.

Why di you pricks always compare each other: A book si a book, and a movie is a movie. They share only the same realm of content but tell different kind of stories.

Didn't Sci Fi channel broadcast the 4 hour version back in the 90s?

The arrival of the christian conquistadors is foreshadowing the literal apocalypse of mesoamerican civilization. Which is why the good guy protagonist turns away from their ships and retreats to the safety of the jungle with his family.

Come on man this movie was dogshit and I don't say that about many movies.
First the effects sucked but that was expectable but aside from that they threw out the sword fighting and instead there were rifles and shit everywhere which was a big no according to the lore.

>inb4 who gives ashit about the lore XD

Then he shouldn't have made the movie but instead make a new shitty sci fi franchise.