American Grafitti is so fucking great. Makes me nostalgic for a time I wasn't alive in

American Grafitti is so fucking great. Makes me nostalgic for a time I wasn't alive in.

>the last summer of the 50s
Before Dallas, before Vietman, before Reaganomics and AIDS. The twilight of the age of innocence. Funny and charming. You can tell Lucas cared more about the aesthetics, mood and cool cars, but the script and actors gave it warmth.

Thoughts on the film?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l_BBOnbdvcQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You know it. I remember the time. I grew up in the 80s watching 70s nostalgia of the 50s. Ah, the memories!

What point is this sarcasm making?

Man that really takes me back back to an era I wasn't even fucking there to witness. Ah, the memories!

pointless and unfunny thing to pick up on.

That OP is kinda dumb for being nostalgic for a fictional rendition of a time being idealized for the sake of entertainment

sad to think that lucas was basically three for three in the '70s and now all people remember him for is the prequels

Poor Mans Dazed and Confused (even though this came out first)

I grew up in the 00's watching 90's nostalgia of the 60's. Ah, the memories!

How does that make him dumb.

>>the last summer of the 50s
It took place in 1962 you cuck

Dazed and Confused is just a dude weed remake and wouldn't even exist without AG.

>age of innocence
>threat of nuclear destruction and recovering from the deadliest war in history

??? ???

>It took place in 1962 you cuck
man is Cred Forums totally dogshit recently

I know it's '62, but it's commonly recognised as the spititual end of the 50s. stop being so boring and literal, movies can be poetic.

innocence of youth in some way died in the sixties. not total innocence.

this
everybody knows that the 50's didn't really end until counterculture started pickup up steam in the mid 60s

in a lot of places it didnt end until the civil rights movement and anti-war movements got televised in the late 60s. nyc and sf dont represent the entire country

Like how the 90's didn't end until 2003.

eehhhhh

Age of innocence? Milner was into /cunny/ my dude

Nah, the 90's official nail in the coffin was 2001.
2003 was fullblown suck, the post 9/11 douchebaggery we live in now

>post 9/11 douchebaggery we live in now
Why is 9/11 seen as such a big deal to Americans? It's been 15 years mate. Aren't we post-post-9/11 now?

from droned Yemenis to an ever so slightly expanding Patriot Act, to american shooters getting a muslim vibe, to "german syrians", the ME shitstorm (or rather, the fact that westerners are so affected by it) that followed 9/11 is still going stronk

The west as we know it today was shaped by 9/11, like it or not. It's like we ended up in a bad timeline, the 'bad end' to a game or something. What happens when the time traveling hero doesn't save the future and life goes on but down a darker path.

we should've listened to John Titor.

I suppose you're right.

>the current middle eastern conflicts have been active for longer than WW1, WW2 and Korea combined.

I wonder if this was the intended outcome for the people who engineered the situation?

Cause he's being nostalgic for something that wasn't real.

It didn't take place in the 50's you moron.

I'm not American. Stop being so obsessed with them.

addressed in thread

not literal end, but presented as the spiritual end. I concede that this may not be wholly accurate, but it works for the film.

>uses the word douchebaggery
>I'm not American

yeah right mate

Pretty good. Lucas does good world building, and has an interest in music.

If you watch the sequel, watch it back to back with American Graffiti--it does not stand well on its own.

Well the aim was to engage the United States and to bait the country into a culture war. al-Qaida and other affiliated terrorists in the 90s knew how to push the right buttons. They definitely foresaw a backlash against muslims.

CERN did nothing wrong.
The goal was to fuck the west up and drag us into conflict we don't need. Between that and how governments have used it as an excuse to fuck citizens over they've achieved more than they could've dreamed of.
Funnily enough, we have wised up a little since then. The main reason that we haven't invaded the middle east again to fuck up ISIS is that they basically want a big final showdown with the west. Just engaging in that conflict would be a win for them and go some way to validating their beliefs.

>mfw Cred Forums is the best place to discuss contemporary political situations

These Middle Eastern conflicts are good for the policy-making elite of the West, though. Tighter domestic control, military-industrial complex etc.

They've been gradually destablising the area since WW2. I don't buy that the Arabs took them by surpise with 9/11.

Whose benefiting from these conflicts? Someone always does.

I don't see anything wrong with it

...back when america was white

>These Middle Eastern conflicts are good for the policy-making elite of the West, though.

I wouldn't say that. The West has enough trouble as it is attempting to remain buddy buddy with the Saudis and picking a side in whatever regional conflict is flaring up at the time. Plus, the Arab Spring rode a simultaneous Panislamist revival that put the West on edge as well.

It's still 80% white, but a lot of the whites are not WASPs

America is realistically about 50 percent white given undocumented illegals

2001 is too early. 9/11 was a huge event but the good times rolled a while longer, at least to the summer of 2002. 2003 was mostly shit but still had a bit of a 90's feel.

That's literally what nostalgia is though. It's a fantasy projected on a former reality.

youtube.com/watch?v=l_BBOnbdvcQ

I'm sorry, but America is 0% white, you mudblood.