Laserdisc

Is there ANY reason to own one of these?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_operation_prohibition
youtube.com/watch?v=j5MjyUCnJD0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

there's no reason to own any physical media in current year

Prove it

>there's no reason to own any physical media in current year

Without physical media goes digital media. Delete this board right now.

>inb4 I dint mean that

Your words not mine.

Bonus features are dying because of people like you.

dude it's a giant disc, and it's got lasers

why would you not wanna own that slice of the future

There was back in 1995.

Enjoy losing your entire library at the whim of a giant corporation.

what does that even mean nigga

A E S T H E T I C S

Poorfag pls

I love looking at my giant collection and having friends come over and pick stuff and we just pop it in and go.

Bluray always looks better than streaming and unless you wanna invest in something like a pegasus drive, good luck having a download collection that looks as good as physical media.

Sandisk just announced a 1TB SD card, we're going to be streaming in 8k as easily as 480p on YouTube soon

If you like physical media, and you've got some money to burn, buy one. Just not too old. Its a neat way to watch movies. Its comfy and analog and its got a fucking laser dancing on a comically large shiny frisbee which I think is pretty fucking cool.

But by no means do you need one. This thread is gonna turn into "PHYSICAL MEDIA IS TERRIBLE OP IS AN IDIOT"

So? New Corvettes make a over 600 horsepower but some people like the older ones that aren't as fast because....they just like them. Some people collect war memorabilia and postage stamps I mean shit the inferiority in quality compared to a newer way of watching films is not only obvious but irrelevant to whether you simply like owning/viewing it.

If by soon, you mean in like 4 years, sure

>Digital media
>Have to wait for the movie you want to finish downloading from whatever seedy website you got it from
>No different from watching YT videos on your computer

>DVD
>Have to wait for all the fucking menus to finish playing
>Need to spend another 5 minutes navigating the menus if you want a specific scene

>VHS
>Instantly get to watch whatever movie you want, and you can always keep going from exactly where you left off
>After it's all done you get to rewind and remember everything you just watched, sort of like viewing old memories

>vhs instantly gets to watch...
Bullshit. Vhs had just as many pre-movie ads as DVD.

I collect VHS tapes and have a decent size DVD collection and a few BRs. I just moved and transporting all this shit really opened my eyes.

It's just clutter, all of it. I sold half my DVDs and BRs to F.Y.E. I don't need those things. Of course, this is also just a personal thing. I threw away more than half of my clothes and most of my other shit when I moved too. I got of rid of everything that I don't need and that doesn't bring me joy.

The VHS tapes I have kept because I enjoy them. I like looking at all sides of the box art, I like the grandma's house feel of watching them on my shitty 1990s TV. I also have a decent vinyl and tape collection, but I don't own a single CD. With digital music, CDs are redundant but older forms of media still have their charm. Same with movies. If I was rich as fuck I would start a Laserdisc collection, but not until then.

>Bluray always looks better than streaming and unless you wanna invest in something like a pegasus drive, good luck having a download collection that looks as good as physical media.

yeah, because buying several HDDs is so fucking hard

lel

this

>its an everybody hates everybody elses viewing preference thread

what is fast forward.
you cant skip/fasforward with dvds

>what are user prohibited options

Laserdiscs tend to have tons of really cool extra features not found on other releases, as well as awesome cover art.

Nostalgia

>you cant skip/fasforward with dvds

What ancient DVDs from 2001 do you own?

Every recent DVD/Blu-Ray I've bought in recent memory you can skip through all the shitty previews in less time than it used to take to fast forward with VHS.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_operation_prohibition

>whim of a corporation
I don't understand the free market either

i bought a bunch of discs at a garage sale and hung em on nails on my wall it looks fuckin dope

do the rudimentary amount of research. you don't really own what you pay for and companies can restrict your access to and just take away things without notice . not to mention what if a solar flare suddenly fries all of Amazon's or iTunes servers? then you got nothing

>you don't really own what you pay for
>paying for any media in 2016
????????

Not him, but

>paying
>not pirating everything

you're retarded
>implying this wasn't already happeneing with VHS's

>have to wait for the movie to finish downloading from whatever seedy website you got it from
Two questions,
1. How impatient are you?
2. Where are you downloading from?
>the VHS meme
you do know your VHS's are getting fucked up over time, right?

Owning multiple HDD's is far cheaper than purchasing films on any physical format.
>the solar flare meme again
I love this one because nobody knows what they actually are and just likes to talk out their ass.
also,
>paying for media in 2016

triggered so hard cus a dude likes watching a movie differently jesus christ fuck off.

Well, they're interesting from a historical perspective.

For a few random movies the laserdisc version is the best version available, but even then you could probably rip it to a digital video and bring out better quality be carefully applying a few filters.

The big reason to own one is to rip laserdisc movies that haven't been ripped.

This man gets it. Fuck menus. I just want to put a tape in & press play to go straight to my movie.

How am I triggered exactly?
That's nice and everything but what do you do when in a couple of decades your tapes are broken past repair?

>optical media is good

Get new ones. Or just take care of your shit. Also if you're watching the same tape so often it gets fucked up then you need to expand your viewing habits. I watch a movie once, shelve it, if it was great I might revisit in a few years.

The thing is, you won't be able to make new tapes.
Tapes degrade over time no matter what, and once they are no longer produced it will only be a certain amount of time before all tapes are unplayable.

Yeah, true, but with my viewing style mine will last me my entire lifetime. Hell they're just clutter and junk anyway. Owning anything physical is a waste of time. I mainly have the tapes for decor. I like my big wall of cool movies, but it's functionally useless. I am thinking of getting rid of all of them, getting rid of my movie posters, getting rid of whatever stupid knickknacks I have and just living in a blank room. I just want to throw out everything that doesn't have an actual use. Of course with that logic I might as well stop watching movies altogether. Idk. I hate life.

>watching movies

plebs

who knows it may make a comeback like vinyl has

then you would be the hipster king

It's nice if you like collecting 80s anime.

It's better than Blu-ray, obviously.

The reason they call it "blu ray" is because the way the information is encoded on the disks causes all films to have a semi-transparent layer of "blue" over all the footage, it's why they all look like ass.

ALL THAT IS Cred Forums

haha

no seriously laserdisc is a fucking terrible format tho

i just read the scripts

Sure, If you own any silver records you would need something to play them on.

youtube.com/watch?v=j5MjyUCnJD0

How was Paul Blart Mall Cop?

No, you don't understand how tape degration works.
Just letting them sit on a shelf is slowly destroying them.
Nothing to do with how you watch movies or use tapes, it's the nature of VHS.

Maybe the guy lives in a salt mine, you never know.

Best commercially released version of the original Star Wars.

unreadable

I was was given a CED player along with many movies. Empire Strikes Back plays in a most peculiar frame rate.

Understandable, seeing as it was unwatchable.

mfw I'm currently trying to sell a bunch of old laserdiscs right now.