celtx.com/

>Active Contests
screencraft.org/screenwriting-contests/
tblaunchpad.com/
filmfreeway.com/

>Strawpoll
strawpoll.me/11268510

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1OoDpijRIiyNNbQTNpWAfvHwejpyu919jrAzL5bisY9Q/mobilebasic
unesco.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/CI/CI/pdf/programme_doc_documentary_script.pdf
desktop-documentaries.com/how-to-write-a-script.html
nyfa.edu/student-resources/how-to-write-a-documentary-script/
documentary.org/magazine/get-it-down-paper-english-film-schools-scripting-documentaries
discord.gg/gdgjp
youtube.com/watch?v=oqCr_3PDTps
youtube.com/watch?v=TLu3DjvYQus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Meant to say "CHARACTERS edition".

Writing a few sketches for a pilot, can I get some feedback?

docs.google.com/document/d/1OoDpijRIiyNNbQTNpWAfvHwejpyu919jrAzL5bisY9Q/mobilebasic

>tfw halfway through a screenplay and start thinking about how it might be better if it wasn't a found footage film and realize i have to rewrite some aspects of the story and come up with different character motivations

How do you write a documentary? How is it different from writing a normal movie?

I don't get "3 Word News"

I'm also not really into this kind of thing in general so I wouldn't watch it but I think you've got a couple pretty good ideas and some nice jokes in there. Sorry I can't be more helpful

unesco.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/CI/CI/pdf/programme_doc_documentary_script.pdf

desktop-documentaries.com/how-to-write-a-script.html

nyfa.edu/student-resources/how-to-write-a-documentary-script/

documentary.org/magazine/get-it-down-paper-english-film-schools-scripting-documentaries

First link will be the most helpful probably

Oops, meant for

is a t5i good enough to make films on?

Thanks.

I meant to change that, it's supposed to be a running gag called "3 second news" where the newsreader tries to give the news in 3 seconds. I was gonna write a few takes where he drinks coffee, takes caffeine pills and eventually shoots adrenaline to try and read the news.

Cinematographer here, you can ask me various technical questions if you wish.

Yes, and so is your phone technically, but don't expect genuine quality. You can practise on anything though.

Magician one needs some refinement but the concept is funny. Maybe after the joker the guy pulls a normal card and magician goes through with the trick and pulls out the rule card at the end, by mistake, crowd errupts in laughter, flustered he pulls a 2nd joker and then abandons the trick as he starts to get heckled.

3 second news is funny but would be funnier if the intro graphics clearly state "news in 3 seconds" and the anchor gets cut off amid a dramatic headline "TOP STORY A NUCLEAR MISSILE HAS LAUNCH-"

Fight is a good idea but could be refined more, remove library part imo, pick up on the inane reasons people fight (I assume by the way its written you're English, and we seem to love a good physical fight over nothing)

I have one and I like it, I havent used it much yet for filming though.

DSLRs can only shoot for 30 mins (if that has any bearing on what you want to use it for though)

Thanks man, I'll be writing up a second draft soon so I'll take that into account. I do like the idea of fighting over nothing.

Bump

discord.gg/gdgjp

Discord right here

Why would you ever think found footage was a good idea?

>Cinematographer here, you can ask me various technical questions if you wish.

Shooting a night-time film in the woods. Should I find a camera that works good in low-light (if so, what's a good one in your opinion?), try to focus on good lighting, or a mix of both?

How do I flesh out my characters and make them less generic? I can't choose a personality or backstory.

So I got a pilot script for an animated comedy.

What do I do next? I'm thinking about animating it myself, but what should i do with it? Would it be smart to upload it to YouTube?

Looking for any advice

Upload it to tumblr and Youtube.
And CN takes submissions sometimes.

Are vintage lenses good for filming shorts on a dslr?

Why wouldn't they be? Lenses are lenses.

When starting out is it better to invest in one higher end lens for your camera, or to buy a few different, but cheaper ones to get the different looks?

best focal length for a lens for shooting films? I have a 24mm cinema lense from rokinon

nigga that depends on the context of your film this movie is like 90% 6.5mm lens

youtube.com/watch?v=oqCr_3PDTps

retard

????

what are you looking for, get either a variety of zooms or a set of prime lenses that range from 24 to 85 and you should be set from there.

why don't you do research on the different effects of each focal length first of all

Sorry, i meant to send that to the dude who asked the question, my bad senpai.

Does anybody even look at the OP links?

Depends on the size of your production and budget. Unless you have all the lights and generators at your disposal, night-time shots are usually done at magic hour or shot day for night. Look into that. A good camera for low-light is the Sony A7s, it practically can see in the dark, lol.

Kit lens should be more than OK for starting out. I'd maybe add a good prime like a 35 or 50 to that if you're looking to buy something. Definitely play around a lot with the kit lens before investing in glass though.

No such thing lol. That's entirely subjective.

Doing it yourself is a great start (or collaborating with an animator) to produce something that you can show to production companies.

I'll paste something my cousin sent me about an animated show I developed (for kids) and he sent me the below advice:

The biggest challenge in tv is getting someone to commit a budget to let you make your programme.
We've been chasing budgets for animation for years and only occasionally get lucky with very modest productions. I'm attaching a few sample bibles - this is how you present an animation for funding / to a broadcaster. Having a 2 - 3 minute demo also really helps, although easier said than done.

If you were to go for broadcast funding, you could go direct to tv channels with a bible and demo (you might need to say you're a production company). You could also try approaching a list of animation production companies to see if there is any interest in the idea (suggest you registered post yourself a copy of all materials before you do either to copyright initially without cost) - in this case they would do the selling and you would end up as a writer, or get bought out for not a huge amount of money but have a tv series with your name on it.

There are regular fairs for kids programming MipCom, etc. around the world each year - you could attend and try your luck, but it's a tough gig to get a sale.

A more manageable (and circuitous) route to market is creating a book and seeing if you can get a publisher, or self publish. If it is successful, then you have stats and a track record of success to go to a broadcaster with.

If I were you I'd go for the book option first, or try to animate simply or do a live action version with voiceover to test the material. (Now if you could both write and animate keeping everything inhouse, then you could be on to something, as cost per second to buy animation is pretty high!)

>A good camera for low-light is the Sony A7s, it practically can see in the dark, lol.
Just watched some demo videos and god damn that is a good camera. Gonna be hard to convince the audience it's actually night-time lmao

youtube.com/watch?v=TLu3DjvYQus

why is the sky so pixelated?
not ragging on it, I looked it up out of curiosity but it looks really jarring, especially if hes going to shoot all his stuff at night.

Write it like you would a treatment.
Write it like you already know what's going to happen.

The most important part of a documentary script is having the format, the structure, and the (rhetorical) arguments worked out.

If you're doing any kind of observational or investigatory documentary obviously you have no idea what's going to happen.

I would suspect something like Louis Theroux or a Vice Documentary at least 55-70% follows the script.

Reality TV: 90%... with the bulk of the rest being re-written in post.

Probably because of the way the camera picks up the color of the sky then brightens it. But what do I know, I'm no expert.

It could work for what I'm doing because I don't plan on doing a lot of open-sky shots. Again most of the film takes place in the woods so I should be fine.

With the screenwriting resources, I'd take out screenwriting.info (unnecessary due to imsdb and Free Screenwriting Software being in the same post) and the litreactor article (descriptions actually *should* be simple in screenplays; simple but as accurate as necessary, never purple-y).