Why aren't there any movies about philosophers, would it be considered too boring by today's standards

Why aren't there any movies about philosophers, would it be considered too boring by today's standards

what would the movie be about? The philosopher thinking of things and then writing them? I mean if you had a great story about a philosopher and a masterful team of filmmakers to portray that story well, then maybe it could work, but probably not.

i mean most philosophers were shutin autists who died alone and in poverty

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>image.jpg

quality thread fuck-o. why don't you go back to making light of your depression on twitter to fish for favorites from the other vapid stooges whose parents pay for their iphone

tangentially related to OP: the turin horse. i've had it downloaded for months but haven't gotten around to it.

Put down the salt cellar and take a deep breath, you Cred Forumsormless twit

But Camus was a chad and stirner was an eccentric man who had many misadventures

There's gotta be some lost in translation comedy drama romance story with Camus and Wes Anderson quirky thing with Stirner

Easy, Satan. It means you can be the next great philosopher.

Because:
Small minds discuss people.
Mediocre minds discuss events.
Great minds discuss ideas.

Quick examples of philosophy movies:
Matrix
Scanner Darkly
Inception
Zero Theorem
Brazil

They're about an idea, not a person or event.

I've always thought this was a dumb statement.

The way you speak of it, it sounds like you think these movies are of a higher quality than movies that choose to be character studies. Which are often far more, in my opinion, thought provoking or willing to explore "ideas" than the ones you listed.

you're also a college freshman so what do you know?

Character studies can be about ideas.

"Small minds discuss people" is referring to people who think Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie divorcing is news, watch reality TV shows, gossip about people, etc.

No

Avicenna's life would actually make for a fascinating movie

A lot of movies are about ideas. These are known as themes. The characters in the movie explain the theme through the plot.

A movie about a philosopher would be boring, but a movie about a philosophers work (The Stranger, Nausea) would be kino

>camus
>sarte
>philsophers

w e w

>implying

Time to eat the trashcan itself

how about you just read their books you illiterate scum

I'm aware, and I get that. I still think the statement's not a very good one, it excludes too much and comes off as very elitist. It just sounds very dumb by its own logic, because in essence, it's talking about people.

I mostly thought his argument for those particular movies was silly. High concept != philosophy.

Said pretty much what I was going to say.

I think there's a great movie or mini series to be made about the life and philosophy of Diogenes of Sinope.

Better yet, don't. Anything that isn't political philosophy or epistemology is a waste of one's precious time. I'd call it intellectual wankery but the fact is that it doesn't even feel good.

What the fuck do you call them?

>Sartre
>not a philosopher
Go read l'engrenage

>b-b-but they're not the philosophers I was told were cool by someone on the internet

But there was a Nietzsche movie some years ago. Apparently it was shit though.

>It just sounds very dumb by its own logic, because in essence, it's talking about people.

I've seen this criticism of the quote before and it's absurd. It's obviously not intended to be taken in a strictly literal sense, as everyone discusses all three of those things at one point or another. It's about a person's tendencies, interests and preferences.

I'm not sure how some of you make it through the fucking day.

Too bad he's the OG fedora tipper of the wester world

When Nietzsche Wept is ok.

Wittgenstein by Derek Jarman is excellent.

Woah, there. You must be really dumb, because you're talking about people.

I mostly sit on my bed in a half-catatonic state, until the nurse comes in to clean the liquid from my asshole.

That, and sometimes she touches my willy. I like that.

It always throws me off how much Joel McHale looks like Nietzsche, at least in OPs pic.

I've lived as Diogenes, as a homeless man telling people they don't deserve to exist, and I don't think audiences would be that receptive to it.

>it's a retard dismisses Nietzsche because he thinks it's the cool thing to do post
There's always one

>I've lived as Diogenes

Elaborate. Did you whack off in public?