Only a sith deals in absolutes

>only a sith deals in absolutes.
>Do or don't, there is no try.

Genius or hack

genius hack

Genius. Prequels are great fantasy movies.

He was a genius at some point, now he is a hack

genius at inventing

hack at directing

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes" is an absolute.

>Makes absolute statement

genius who can't write

holy shit

how will jorge lucas recover from this

Perhaps he meant absolutism in actions, not words :/

More hack than genius, I love the OT, but most of it comes from borrowing imagery, and plot lines from different movies and heavy editing from others.

The prequels and various edits of the OT show what happens when Lucas is surrounded by yesmen and not reined in.

So the Jedi are evil, from a certain point of view.

The Tarantino of his generation

Friendly reminder that the Jedi are supposed to be represented as hypocrites.

>took him from his home for a life of Jedi training
>didn't think of saving his mother in he span of 10 years
>didn't let him get a gf
>always shit talked him
>didn't allow him to become a master despite being clearly superior to obi wan

>Jedi believe in absolutes
>Sith believe in points of view

Did old Obi fall to the Dark Side?

It's fascinating how people fuck this quote up.

Tarantino is a niche writer and director, he almost has an indie feel to him. If you don't like Tarantino it doesn't mean he's a shit writer and director, it just means you aren't interested in his niche work.

Tarantino is not fucking niche

Extreme gore+pseudo-philosophical themes+homage to classical movies, all at the same time... name one (known) director who does it like him. (If you say NWR imma gonna hunt you down and kill you in real life)

didn't he hold off on becoming a member of the academy so he could retain his "Independent" director status?

If the Prime Trilogy didn't give your feels you're a legitimate autist.

Other than Ewan Mcgregor's performance as Obi-Wan, there isn't a single good thing about the prequels so stop trying to defend it, faggot.

>Ian "Sheev" McDiarmid

Stop embarassing yourself, kid.

Even my plebbiest plebberino of friends watch Tarantino. He's a big name, not niche at all.

I laughed multiple times

Does it count ?

Then perhaps your friends aren't as plebeian as you might think.

OP is a fucking Binary thinker. Good/Bad Genius/Hack. It's the calling card of the intellectually inept that they see everything in binary absolutes.

>implying that pointing out contradictions in famous works is sign of binary thinking.

Fuck you, plebeian.

Dude, are you seriously trying to pull Tarantino off as some "le little unknown indie gem"?
Whenever my Chad roommates in college bullied me into torrenting a list of films for them for movie night (I wasn't invited) Tarantino was always a surefire success. Now about that time I snuck a little Tarkovsky, they weren't very happy with me.

obi-wan: worst jedi master ever or sith lord? It's all his fucking fault.

>Tarantino as some "le little unknown indie gem"

That's exactly what he was at the beginning. He got famous but his style didn't change.
>Your Chad "friends" heartlessly treated you like a slave.

My heart goes out to you, user-senpai.

Yes he is famous, and every director started out small. Everybody knows Tarantino. He's not niche, fucking lel, niche implies he's an unknown indie director, or makes art films.

Dude you dont even need the second line

>only a Sith deals in absolutes
>only a Sith

Obi Wan ( or whoever said it) was dealing in absolutes by saying only siths deal in absolutes.

It was a subtle confession. Can't believe how many people miss the similarities between the prequel trilogy and The Departed.

I wonder was it intentional then? Perhaps Obi-Wan was considering joining the dark side and it was a subtle hint to Anakin? But it went right over his head.

Absolute in ideology. Not the same thing.

Plebs just regurgitate they're bad. It's funny.

While I'll agree that George Lucas has shit writing, and Obi-Wan should have said something more to the tune of "That sounds like Sith logic," the fact of the matter is that Yoda was not "dealing in absolutes."

To "deal in absolutes" is to engage in polarized, black-or-white, us-versus-them thinking. But Yoda was saying, if you are going to do something, give it your all, or don't bother.

To quote another wise man with funny diction:

>Walk on road, hm? Walk right side, safe. Walk left side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later, *qch* Get squish, just like grape. Here, karate, same thing. Either you karate do "yes," or karate do "no." You karate do "guess so," *qch* Just like grape.

Mr. Miyagi and Yoda aren't telling Daniel and Luke to "Do it, or get squished." They're telling them to shit or get off the pot.

I don't have any really good excuses for Obi-Wan. I've heard that "dealing" in absolutes is not the same as absolute thinking, but honestly that sounds like bullshit. As much as I love Obi-Wan, George fucked that line up.

Though I'd have written Obi-Wan as a far more flawed character who had to learn the hard way how to become the sage Luke knew. But George didn't do that, he made him into a sage throughout. Which means he fucked up.

Still the best light saber duel in the movies

>Qui-Gon

>Darth Maul

Decent characters/presence

That song though. I never bought a movie soundtrack till then.

>Still the best light saber duel in the movies
Fuck you, Jedi was the best duel. One set, all emotion, a battle for souls, dat music when Luke loses his shit.

nope, that would be
>Luke in 'cloud city'
and
>Luke on the 'deathstar'

This is not a negotiation.

Clearly George meant to show that the Jedi are so up their own asses and indoctrinated they can't even recognise the hypocrisy in their own statements.
Whereas the OT showed the Jedi as good, and the Emperor as bad, the PT shows things in shades of grey.

Emotionally yes

But it looks fucking sloppy

Nope

>Grow up watching Star Wars original trilogy
>Be 16 when new trilogy comes out
>Darth Maul vs Qui-Gon & Obi-wan

That fucking 3 way fight WAS everything that people always wished you knew more about

>Multiple jedi fighting
>Jedi in their prime

Fuck the nostalgia, at the time that fight was AMAZING, If you remember seeing it for the first time in the cinema you cant disagree with me

>Whenever my Chad roommates in college bullied me into torrenting a list of films for them for movie night (I wasn't invited)

Isn't the statement "only a sith deals in absolutes" an absolute itself?

Was he a sith all along?

lol if you think lucas actually realized that the sentence is an absolute in itself and didn't play it completely straight

just lol

One of the best parts about Star Wars. It was the seminal moment that showed that there really isn't a "Dark Side" and a "Light Side", just two sides of the same coin.

This idea was pushed further in one of the books which I'm sure is non canon now. Disney is designed for children so it will be a bland "diverse perfectly goodly characters defeat the evil white male villain" story for all eternity now.

It's an example of doublethink. The Jedi are the bad guys.

Did Jorge forsake the fandom by selling Lecasfilm to Devilisney?

Are you saying that Good and Bad are merely points of view?

>But it looks fucking sloppy
That's the fucking point, no swordfight is fucking choreographed. You fight to survive or you fight to kill. You don't fight to hit their swords and look cool.

I didn't wish for 5 minutes of flynning sword-dance.

>Mace Windu to Qui-Gon in TPM: We WILL find out about the attacker
>almost every instance of the Jedi in the prequels is them being completely fucking full of themselves
Anakin destroyed the Jedi because the Jedi had become what they had sworn to destroy.

"Two sides of the same coin" are light and dark.

Although this doesn't necessarily have to be good and evil. Look at the Tao. Yin and Yang are opposites, but not necessarily antagonistic with one another. In fact, if you look at the symbol, you can see that yin is in yang, and yang in yin. Were yang to overtake yin, yin would grow out of it and return the balance, and vice versa. It wouldn't even really need our effort to do so, it would just happen naturally.

Now that's deep.
To an extent, yes. "Good" and "bad" are subjective and largely arbitrary. Though for the sake of survival and personal/social wellbeing, it is often necessary to simplify for the sake of peace and comfort.

Case in point, I always use this example but you can't tell - a hurricane is neither good nor bad. It is a product of the weather and rolls in whether we're in its way or not. But it rolls in nonetheless, and form our perspective it can be seen as "bad." So, for safety's sake, we make preparations and even evacuate to avoid danger. Then when it's over, we assess the damages and try to rebuild, or move away to find a new home, where such a thing can't happen again.

So, in a further twist, "good vs. evil" thinking is itself neither good or evil.

>Though I'd have written Obi-Wan as a far more flawed character who had to learn the hard way how to become the sage Luke knew
Obi-Wan was pretty fucking far from being the perfect sage he was depicted as in the OT.
Obi-Wan was a victim of his own hubris, the same as every other Jedi in the PT.

wew you completely missed the part about Kylo being a conflicted villain.

nice alt-right paranoia tho. I bet you're fun at parties.

le opinion

It's barely highlighted though. Anakin bitches about the restraint Obi-Wan puts upon him, but when we actually see it happening at the beginning of AotC it seems perfectly justified. He is also more careful and by-the-book than Qui-Gon (or Anakin) and comes off as a much wiser character because of it.

I'd have put Obi-Wan in a more "If Han Solo Was A Jedi" role, something of a swashbuckler who indulges in Anakin's need for adventure, because he saw a natural talent in his piloting skills. And he probably needed a pilot at the time.

Anakin should have been more like Luke at first. A kind teenager with a need for something more than his dull farmboy life. And Obi-Wan offered that, and dragged him right into the Clone Wars, much to the chagrin of Owen Lars.

There, Anakin gradually became more reckless and eager for power, and Obi-Wan realized he bit off far more than he could chew. All attempts to pull him back were too late. The damage was done, and Anakin pulled away from his friend, and from his wife, and from the Republic, finding far more promise in Palpatine's Dark Side approach.

Anakin's interest in becoming a Jedi became an interest in becoming a great Jedi, which became an interest in becoming greater than the Jedi. His need to protect the weak became a need to control, "for their own good," which became a need to command and destroy all who oppose him.

I feel like this is what George Lucas tried to do - we can see flickers of it - but was incapable of executing it properly in only three movies.

Yeah accept these are Force users fighting. You know, the ones who can see things just before they happened. So technically speaking all fights would actually be highly "choreographed"

These are 2 pretty unrelated ideas. Especially if you see the "try" as more of a reminder to complet what you start they both are good ideas.

The score is objectively great

Palpi was a father figure to Anakin, a manipulative one, although Anakin didn't realize that or see that he was being used by him.

However, he was being used by both the Jedi and the Sith. FHe Jedi telling him he's the Chosen one. Then the Jedi council not trusting him, the council asking him to spy on Palpi, The dreams of Padme dying,....eventually it pushed him over the edge. He believed that Padme would die and he believed that Palpi would teach him how to save her. Even when he realized that Palpi was the Sith Lord and tells the council , they still dont trust him.

The Jedi made their own bed. Anakin did nothing wrong. He just wanted to save his wife. She was all that mattered.

i get what your saying about that pic but only someone with low functioning aspergers would be bothered by this

The Prequels were the best films of the entire franchise.

Why do I get the feeling that you are trying to rustle our jimmies?

DEALS in absolutes
The keyword is DEALS