What is the best Stephen King adaptation, for film or TV?

What is the best Stephen King adaptation, for film or TV?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ggWS4tTzs60
imdb.com/list/ls070532039/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lawnmower_Man
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I liked Misery and IT best so far

The Shining movie is better than the book

>TRIGGERED

the shining
the mist
green mile
shawshank redemption

everything else is shit.

Funny how you never explain why. Do you feel smart blindly going with memes?

Shawshank Redemption™

Christine

No one ever mentions Children of the Corn even though it penetrated pop culture. I'm guessing it's actually dogshit? Haven't watched it since VHS tapes.

Maximum Overdrive

Recently rewatched it and yeah it does not hold up very well.

Also the 1st part of IT when their still kids is pretty good, but the 2nd part with the adults is pure shit.

Langoliers

The Stand miniseries

Was anyone here made to read On Writing in english class? I had this professor with a massive hard on for King, i thought the book was insufferably boring. Not even that actually, just like a synopsis of an autobiography and some really boring writing tips.

Best movie is the shining, best adaptation mist/green mile/shawshank.

Maximum Overdrive of course.

Misery is probably the most watchable and least pedophillic

>acting like only one person feels this way

The moview touches on everything it needs to and more. It even switches the car color to deliberately make that point.

Stand By Me or Shawshank

Hearts in Atlantis was pretty good, if you like coming-of-age stories.

Do we want to count Storm of the Century? Because that's was an actual teleplay King wrote specifically for TV, so would it count as an adaptation?

It's completely different

You may as well compare the running man short story and film

The Under the Dome adaptation was a joke, and that's coming from a fan of the book.

This guy gets it

Randall Flagg looks like THAT?

I couldn't even make it through the first episode

oh well

>I had this professor with a massive hard on for King
Le western canon man disapproves.

>muh beautiful parents
>muh hedge animals
>muh explosion

I'm a king fan. Globe me some velcro fly. The only differences are completely superficial and changes didn't come without reason.

I always thought Robert Knepper would make an excellent Randall Flagg.

>Top tier
Carrie
The Shining
The Dead Zone
Creepshow
Stand by Me
Misery

>Good tier
The Shawshank Redemption & The Green Mile (a lot of people would but these in top tier but they're not really my thing. Undeniably well made though.)
The Mist
Christine
Creepshow 2 (Mainly for "The Raft")
Dolores Claiborne
Apt Pupil
Hearts in Atlantis

>Medium tier
Cujo
Children of the Corn
The Running Man
Pet Sematary
Secret Window
Firestarter

>Low tier
Silver Bullet
Graveyard Shift
Sleepwalkers
The Dark Half

>Shit tier
Children of the Corn sequels
Needful Things
The Mangler
Thinner
The Night Flier

>Bugfuck insane tier
Maximum Overdrive
Dreamcatcher

>The Night Flier
> shit tier

opinion discarded

The long walk miniseries when?

>Tfw Rage will never get an adaption because half of America can't stop running into schools and shooting kids, and the other half of America can't watch anything that alludes to it without crying about insensitivity

The long walk is.more of an experience than a book

ok actually i take it back, the vampire design is great, i like miguel ferrer in it, and it's got a few creepy scenes. it can go in low tier.

everyone saying Shining go buy yourself a dictionary and then kys

the long walk would make for a weird movie, I don't know that it would work

Soemone should do a movie from that short story about cadillac, it would be pretty interesting to watch.

King wouldn't let a Rage film happen anyway (despite the relevance to the times).

Also Long Walk would make a better film than tv series. One of my favorite King books but it is a little content light. The Talisman would be a GOAT miniseries though.

Also Through the Eyes of the Dragon animated adaptation when?

Idris Elba

Talisman then Black House would be GOAT

dolan's cadillac? it got made into a shitty low-budget movie with christian slater

But seriously, enough catty teenage girl bullshit. How is Kubrick's Shining better than the book?

These anons get it, even the man himself says it's King done right:
youtube.com/watch?v=ggWS4tTzs60

>1408

It, might be nostalgia talking tho

Best adaptation? The Mist. I have to wonder why they went so hardcore with the CGI. It's the ideal movie to use practical effects.

Weird, huh? Three KINOs, one flick and the rest is shit.

>Carrie
>Top tier
>T O P T I E R

Worst acting ever (worse than the Room) and you say it's top tier?

It could work great as a film

Obviously not some big Hollywood piece of shit, but if a smaller studio got it and hired a decent director and some unknown actors, it could be great and cheap to make.

Hell maybe even go point of view or something gimmicky

How do you guys feel about Roadwork?

No langoliers?

I never read the story, but I remember the mini series being pretty comfy

Rose Red and Misery are great.

I really hope they do an adaptation of Duma Key though.

it really was, aside from the shitty SciFi Channel tier CGI it was a fun watch

It was alright, I thought Running Man was the best Bachman story overall. Rage really did nothing for me, and The Long Walk was probably my second favorite.

In my edition theres an intro by King, and he says that looking back after however many years, he thinks that one of the four stories is one of his best works, two are still good, but one of them he really dislikes, and he doesnt say which is which. Trying to figure it out drives me mad.

Personally for me it goes
The Long Walk > Rage = Roadwork > The Running Man

But the order changes every time I read through them.
I was in love with Rage the first time I read it, but looking back I don't know if I was just being an edgy fag lord

I think he thinks Road Work is his best, I read somewhere that he disliked it at first but over time became to appreciate it quite bit. And he had Rage pulled from publication so that might be what he considers his worst. I wouldn't say it's outright bad but I might have appreciated more if I read it at a different point in my life.

Am I the only one here who kind of hates the green mile? Sappy bullshit.

I thought he had Rage pulled after some of the high school / college shooters were found to have copies in their lockers/ rooms

Roadwork always affects me when I read it, but then afterwords I always find myself wondering how it's a couple hundred pages when so little happens

The Long Walk is just great all around. I could finish it and immediately just start reading it again. The only thing that's irritating is the one page ending out of nowhere

I'm still not sure how to interpret the ending of the Long Walk. Did he die or what?

user forgot to mention that user cannot read

Certainly seems that way

Some think that the man in black he sees is Randall Flagg.

Others just assume he's moving on to the next life or some shit.
Either way, that black guys wife isn't gonna get looked after like they all promised

The supernatural stuff is a bit jarring now, but the first time I watched it I thought it was great.
And maybe that's just because everything has to be gritty and real these days, it's a fine film really, with great characters.

is there a problem with Randall-fu?

Without a doubt.

dark figure beckoning from the rain up ahead, to come and play the game, so much more further left to walk

definitely sounds like Flagg

Why is no one talking about 11/22/63?
It was a pretty damn perfect adaption as far as adaptions go

the shining is a good movie but a stupid adaptation.

>Hulu
If it was Netflix it'd be shilled to this day.

i haven't seen all of them but
needful things starts of good... i don't remember how it ends ... whatever you say about this movie ... it's intriguing and unique and has been parodied a lot.

the other recommend is the one with macalauy caulkin' he's this kid that's super evil. don't remember what it's called.

It was on TV too though. At least over here.

Seems odd that he would put a reference to Flagg in a book he's writing under a pseudonym, but I guess I wouldn't put it past him.

Does this mean Garraty could have lived?

He did put clues to his real identity in those stories though. Derry is in Running Man for example. There are other better clues too that I can't remember.

According to Wikipedia, Darabont has the rights to a film adaption and wants to make something low budget and existential

Misery

to the Long Walk? That would be awesome.

Well yeah of course he would say that he directed it.
Is it "so bad it's good" or is it actually good? I'm incapable of disliking anything related to King but still, this looks a bit weird.

I really really like you and your taste in the King and your audacity for sharing such a thoroughly competent power ranking. Reddit approved!

Silver Bullet is a great bad movie.

Fuck yeah

Something to look forward to now American Gods looks like its gone to shit

Anthology series based on King's short stories.

Yes, no ? What's your favorite King's short story?

Fuckin quads confirm it

this

Jerusalem's Lot from Night Shift

The one where he shows up in a small part and acts badly.

It's really fun stuff. It depends on your taste, but some would argue that it's so bad it's good

>Cujo not shit tier

Read the book then watch the movie and tell me it's still better than Thinner or even Dreamcatcher.

Tv and book ending 10/10

Saddie is my bookfu

Susan Delgado is my bookfu

Hearts in Atlantis was great.

Langoliers is kino

Maximum overdrive

>half of America can't stop running into schools and shooting kids, and the other half of America can't watch anything that alludes to it without crying about insensitivity
Confirmed for having no idea what you're talking about. There have been many movies featuring, and specifically about, school shootings.

nm, I'm the one who has no idea. I wasn't aware Rage had allegedly "inspired" school shooters until now.

Name seven (7) movies about School shootings

Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
The Mist
The Stand
Stand by Me
Christine
Apt Pupil
Needful Things

Sleepwalkers, purely because the fucking scene is the first thing I masturbated too.

yeah i do, because the performances are pitched at the same level of stylization as the rest of the movie. they weren't going for absolute realism

i didn't rank any miniseries because most of them are bad honestly. IT is probably the best of them.

ty :^)

i haven't read the book but i've got it laying around somewhere, maybe i will now. what do you think the movie missed out on? i thought it at least competently built tension and scares

imdb.com/list/ls070532039/
not including documentaries. google says yw.

>Just picked up Salems Lot bluray
>get back
>see this thread

Doesn't help that the source material is 80% garbage.

Cocaine King is best King. I have a soft spot for the Von Sydow Needful Things even if the actual film is a shadow of the novel.

[Richard Bachman is King's pseudonym]

This book NEEDS an adaptation. Something about it fucked me up as a kid. Its imagery is among the most vivid for a King book and while it was a complete clusterfuck of surrealism it's something that conceptually hasn't really been done before in any other medium (as far as I'm aware). Suburbia gets bombarded with otherworldly shit with a literal autist as the progenitor. I remember the ending being flat but what was interesting was the progression of SHTF and everything going FUBAR until the whole fucking neighborhood was a demented Wild West desert.

I didn't read the book. I barely got halfway through the series. But I can say with full faith that they played it saw adapting the book. Even if it was shitty.

>implying Misery, Stand by Me, Brian De Palma's Carrie, John Carpenter's Christine and David Cronenberg's The Dead Zone are shit

Fuck you Thinner is great

>Worst acting ever (worse than the Room)
Are you fucking kidding me? The acting is top notch. Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie got nominated for academy awards and it is extremely rare for a horror film to receive academy award nominations.

it's definitely amusing in places, there are so many inexplicable creative choices in it, but it's a little too straight-laced and boring to make into bugfuck insane tier

whatever gets the furthest away from the source material

his books are shit

Stand by me.
In the mouth of Madness though is the real best Steven King movie even if he has nothing to do with it.

dreamcatcher is underrated. MR. GAY GO AWAY.

The Langoliers

*rips paper*

my african-american friend

you are pleb, On Writing is great.

I love Long Walk, but I can't imagine it as movie or series. Also did 9/11 ruin any chance for accurate adaptation of Running Man?

Just watched that for the first time last week. It's actually a lot better than I was expecting. All I ever heard about it was butt aliens or something. I get it now.

This. John Carpenter is the cinematic analog to King.

Just imagine how good the The Stand miniseries would have been if it had been helmed by Carpenter.

Shawshank Redemption

Interestingly Carpenter has been upfront about how he didn't like the novel of Christine and didn't get along with King. He said King originally supported the movie then turned against, describing him as "weird" and implying that it had something to do with King's drug use. Carpenter was also going to do Firestarter at one point.

>character in the book is Irish
>nicknamed 'Red' for his red hair
>cast a black man in the film
>still call him 'Red'

>>Bugfuck insane tier
>Maximum Overdrive
>Dreamcatcher
wow Dreamcatcher was totally nuts, this makes me wanna see Maximum Overdrive now

this

The IT remake looks good. Also, happy birthday Stephen.

Stand by me was shit?

John has an odd relationship with Stephen King's work. Him and Bill Lancaster, the writer of The Thing, were working on an adaptation of Firestarter and were gonna begin filming it right after The Thing came out but after The Thing flopped they were fired. Bill never worked in Hollywood again and John ended up agreeing to adapt Christine. I think it's one of John's best films but he has always said that it's one of his least favorite films and he only did it for the paycheck.

yes.

>mfw I started reading Wolves of Calla and realize it's literally Salem's Lot: The Sequel

I just read The Long Walk. It was alright, but the ending was absolute shit. If any of King's deserve a sequel it's this one. Fuck Dr Sleep.

It's coke fueled insanity. If you like King at his most unhinged then watch it ASAP.

Stand By Me

Honorable mention to The Running Man for being the most un-adapted adaptation of a King/Bachman work.

I wish King would lock himself in a room with a bunch of blow and whiskey and not come out until he's written something comparable to what he put out in the 80's.

Isn't Lawnmower Man based on one of his stories and he fought to have his name not be associated with it?

Blow and whiskey can't replace what that van crushed out of him. Modern medicine saved his life, but it couldn't save his doomed talent.

Probably, but I also believe Running Man had the name 'Richard Bachman', so he didn't have to fight to keep his name off it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lawnmower_Man

>Startled, he races to the back porch and sees the lawnmower running by itself and the naked lawnmower man following it on all fours and eating the grass. The lawnmower seemingly deliberately chases and kills a mole and Harold faints.

Hilarious. Talk about not sticking to the source material.

I loved the book but I'm worried that the adaptation will just ruin it for me

The Shining and it shouldn't really be a debate OP

>musique de ac/dc

what does musique mean?

The Mist is underrated as fuck, 11/22/63 was great but nobody saw it because nobody has hulu.

That book read like a fever dream in the best possible way..

Shawshank and The Shining are pretty much the only watchable adaptations I've seen. What are the most and least loyal adaptations? I doubt there's any less loyal than Lawnmower Man.

The 1979 'Salem's Lot miniseries is great

Im trying to read The dark tower : gunslinger

Holy shit i feel like a retard reading this book, i just cant finish it

seeing how i can't ask this type of question in /lit/ i might as well try here
what's the best/essential stephen king books?
he's written so many i don't know which to pick

I actually like A Return to Salem's Lot, too. The concept of an entire town run by vampires was a good concept.

there was torrent i downloaded, had every book in the kindle format. or atleast a fuck load of them

im reading everything eventual atm

few good short stories in there

IT, Pet Sematary, Different Seasons, The Shining, The Long Walk, The Stand, Misery, etc, etc.

If that doesn't do it for you then just go by the most popular films that have been adapted.

there's a 2004 salem's lot too

Musique is the highest level of the art form, there is also muzak, tunes and jams, ordered by plebiness jams being the most pleb, example Radiohead - OK Computer would qualify as a jam

A friend of mine was the same. I personally don't understand why, I read it like four times in one week

Are they using a blocky nigger for Roland in the tv series too?

Best H.P. Lovecraft adaptation ever.

>pic semi related but only in the art, not title

This tbqhwyf, it takes King's second best story, the best being Tommknockers, and makes an even better series out of it

I will finish it tomorrow actually.

It, Needful Things, Pet Sematary.
Probably a better introduction would be his first few short story collections (I'd avoid Just After Sunset, it's clear he was thinking about 9/11 way too much while writing some of those, took me out of it)

It's a decent book, I've only seen the movie twice but if I remember correctly the movie skips out on a bunch of stuff and jumps straight to the car scene right?

The Road Virus Heads North
The Moving Finger
Survivor Type
The Jaunt

I remember the text game for my Apple//e back in the day. Man, that shit was fucking hard.

bump

>tv series
What?

How is Salem's Lot Lovecraft?

Pretty sure his mind just snapped and he was hallucinating.

just realized I am super retarded and Jersualems Lot and Salems Lot are different stories.

No, you were right, Jerusalem's Lot is connected to 'Salem's Lot and is very much like something Lovecraft would write, King wrote it that way on purpose in a epistolary style.

Loved Pet Sematary as a kid. I'd love for a good adaption of that.