Other urls found in this thread:

bloodsprayer.com/shadow-kaiju-h-p-lovecraft-influence-giant-monster-movie/
youtube.com/watch?v=TwLsmuhf4Jk
youtube.com/watch?v=lmZJiBZtahk
powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Dora_Monsters
powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Absolute_God_N_Ma
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Have you ever read Lovecraft?

that's what the trailers tricked us into believing but in actuality the movie is just retarded and godzilla is huge pussy whiteknight and gareth edwards can taste my boot

The new japanese one is more like it...the american one is more like a "too old for this shit predator"

it's kaiju capeshit.

I saw Shin, and it blows the 2014 out of the stratosphere. you can tell that it was made by a man who has a vision and knew what he was doing, whereas Edwards seemed to be just fumbling about.

Don't talk about books if you don't read them. You just sound stupid.

>Lovecraft is a meaningless buzzword

Don't overthink it too much and you'll see what I'm trying to say.

Godzilla is big. Cthulhu is big. You're right,they're exactly the same.

No.

Godzilla is an analogue for nuclear devastation, Cthulhu is a symbol of mankind's insignificance in the universe.

So the answer is no. Okay.

I think another key term is "Unfathomably old"

What are the similarities, besides being big monsters?

Stop. You embarrass yourself more with every post.

There's no doubt Cthulhu was an influence though

bloodsprayer.com/shadow-kaiju-h-p-lovecraft-influence-giant-monster-movie/

Just having a discussion on a discussion board about the parallels, boss

I always wanted a Cthulhu vs Godzilla movie. It makes more sense as an east vs west type thing considering King Kong would absolutely get destroyed by Godzilla.

Cthulhu is a deity, older than earth itself. That's his very essence as a character. Godzilla is an animal.

kill yourself faggot

The article you linked states Dagon as a likely influence, which I believe in the sense that they are both large reptilian monsters that live underwater. That's pretty much where the similarities end though.

>"I have no proof, but I’m tempted to say that someone involved in the screenwriting process for Gorgo – whether it was Daniel James, Robert Richards or director Eugene Lourie – may have read Dagon — perhaps introduced to Lovecraft through an ASE and then seeking out more of the man’s writing — and included the imagery of “Dagon” in GORGO. Lourie certainly was in France at the right time to encounter an ASE."

So it's not only some bullshit made up by some random dude on the internet but it's not even about either Godzilla or Cthulhu.

Except there's plenty of doubt. That article is terrible and proves nothing.

no

fuck off you stupid retard

So no one else has had this Godzilla=Cthulhu epiphany? Wow.

No because they aren't alike other than being really big

So that scene where Brian Cranston refers to it as a "Lovecraftian beast" meant nothing to you?

youtube.com/watch?v=TwLsmuhf4Jk

Maybe. An ancient monster reawakened to take back the earth is pretty similar though.

This thread is actually embarrassing,

No it's not

kaiju will forever be big monster attacks city, if cthulhu "attacked" a city he wouldn't even come out of the ocean dramatically he'd use his retard sludge powers to turn humans into fish-men

>he's still posting

I read once that Lovecraft influenced Rita's monsters in Power Rangers too

godzilla is supposed to be nucluer war thats what it was based on cthulu is one mans vison of the occult and acient evils in the dark parts of the world god i hate this fuckign website

Why do you have to be such assholes, Cred Forums?

>say something stupid
>get a million (you)s
this man is a genius

I don't know whether Godzilla is Cthulhu or not, but I can say Godzilla 2014 is boring and mediocre

Kill yourself reddit.

why the fuck are you even here?

No.

Like if Godzilla trapped a bunch of humans in a ring of rubble and trash and stood over them jibbing and undulating as they slowly starved to death, then yeah they'd be exactly the same.

>be retarded and make retarded posts
>get pissy for being called a retard

you're biggest mistake wasn't drawing a false connection, but misunderstanding the lovecraft fandom.

godzilla is the king of normie pop culture monsters.
lord based cthulhu is only for us nerds.

even more so than doctor who

It wouldn't work. Cthulhu is a literal god (at least from our perspective) who is capable of annihilating the entire human race and turning the survivors into a mindbroken slave race. The whole point of him and the other Old Ones is that they're completely beyond our comprehension and could wipe us all out in a heartbeat if they felt like it.

Godzilla is just a really big dinosaur who fights other monsters.

Not at all. You're comparing a big dinosaur that stomps cities to a deity that stomps planets.

Anno obviously had budget, why is Godzilla still a plastic figurine?

Question. Is Godzilla invincible?

>anno
>implying hes still needs to be creative sitting on top of his eva cashcow
whens 4.0 comming though

Depends on the film.

I know someone who contests that Gamera would win in a 1v1 fight. But Godzilla is invincible.

What's the size difference between Godzilla and Cthulhu, is there an infographic?

It's ok.

youtube.com/watch?v=lmZJiBZtahk

No, he has had his shit kicked in by other monsters and even killed

Godzilla died in the first movie, so no.

I hope so

Why is ol squid face never in these things

You throw out LELOVECRAFT RIGHT GUISE. is not a discussion. Some fucking reasons please, Godzilla is neither scary nor is he attacking your psyche.

Does anyone have the Screencap of godzilla with the superman and zod narration?

How big is this thing from the mist

kill you are self
they have NOTHING in common you bellend

Good god

Telephone pole x 4

That's vaguely inspired by Lovecraft, look at the tentacles.

Gamera would bounce off Godzilla like a frickin frisby

just turn your brain off dude

nope

the atomic bomb

>A monster from a 1954 Japanes film
>It's Cthulhu
WUT

So he just took Giant God Warrior Appears In Tokyo and swapped in a reptilian. BRAVO ANNO!

Just looking at this makes me feel like I'm catching autism

I'm sure this is probably a joke, but in hindsight some of those monsters were mind bendingly fucked up enough if you thought about them it may get a pass.

I feel better realizing I don't know what a lot of those are. Who ever heard of a "Sears Tower"? C'mon now.

>Cthulhu
>big monster

Everyone will tell you to kill yourself if you make such observations

For that, he'd need to be a lot bigger, and anyone who looked at him would immediately lose thier shit and start babbling, laughing and frothing at the mouth in insanity because of how incomprehensible it was for him to exist
>this will never, ever happen in any movie in your lifetime
>monsters will always be 'normal' to people in movies

I think there is a vague argument for Repulsa at least being Lovecraftian in that she's an anciant evil thing that spawns nightmares.

Godzilla's only possible stretch would be that he shows man that there are things greater than him. Which is kinda Lovecraftian I guess but I'm not sure it would be exclusive enough to warrant the label.

>greater

Only in comic books where he's depicted as an unstoppable force of nature itself, in movies? Not so much.

>Godzilla is just a really big dinosaur who fights other monsters.
Pleb

No, no, no.
Godzilla is definitely not lovecraftian.
Lovecraftian horrors are about existential dread and the insignificance of humanity, godzilla is just a giant lizard who destroys cities and fights other giant lizards.

Camon, guys, clearly this inspired by Lovecraft's gothic stories.

powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Dora_Monsters

>In keeping with Zyuranger's fantasy theme, The Dora monsters were mostly inspired by creatures from Greek and European mythology.

Cut that out.

That's pretty much what I meant. How Brian Cranston was losing his mind trying to fathom mankind's insignificance in the grand scheme in light of the creature's existence. Maybe I meant Lovecraft-ish, not Lovecraft-esque.

>How Brian Cranston was losing his mind trying to fathom mankind's insignificance in the grand scheme in light of the creature's existence

A BvS thread is missing one of their nutters.

So many I've seen in the later ones have a distinct dark lord sea-monster from the deep flavour to them like Octomus here.

That reference is indeed confirmed

powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Absolute_God_N_Ma

>His concealed appearance is based on the eye of Sauron from Lord of the Rings, and his true from is based on the H.P. Lovecraft character Cthulhu.

I'm pretty sure Gareth Edwards was aiming to bastardise elements of Cthulhu's story too. Parts of that movie vaguely echoed it.

The Ogdru Jahad in Hellboy, similarly.