Alexandre Dumas father, Thomas Alexandre Dumas, was a half-black General of Cavalry in Napoelons revolutionary army

>Alexandre Dumas father, Thomas Alexandre Dumas, was a half-black General of Cavalry in Napoelons revolutionary army
>his mother was a Haitian plantation slave owned by his father a French marquis
>he was considered more popular among the soldiers than Napoleon and dismissed for disagreeing with him over the conduct of the Egyptian campaign
>he would be proved right as it turned out a complete disaster
>on his voyage back to France he was captured by Italian forces and held prisoner for several years with his ransom unpaid by the French military
>released after the war he was denied a pension by Bonaparte loyalists still in government
>the swashbuckling stories he told his son while dying in bed formed the basis of the Alexandre Dumas future books
Movie when?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gens_de_couleur
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Movie when?

Danny Glover has wanted to make one for decades, as I recall. The studios keep insisting he add white characters or some such nonsense.

what for just another oscar bait sjw fest that will be shit on by Cred Forums and make 10 dollars at the box office

aside from Dumas and his mother and children everyone else in the film would be white, its set in France in the 18th century not today

>oscar bait
go back to your cape circle jerk

WE WUZ NUHPOLEUHNZ AND SHEEIT

Danny Glover wanted to make a Toussaint L'Ouverture film, not a Dumas film.

>Alexandre Dumas was black

is their a better rekt line than that

>main character's surname is Dumbass

kek how about no

No.

well this particular one was

>doesn't know how to pronounce French words

Fuck those would both be amazjng

The French Revolutionary wars and the Napoleonic Wars contain so much glorious movie potential, I don't understand how so little of it has been tapped into.

You mean like literally everyone in France?
What an outrage.

Not to mention the main character would only be part black.

What little there is is mostly from the English.

The Duelests is one of my favorite movies though.

I would be so fucking down for an HBO series that goes from the start of the Revolution through the reign(s) of Napoleon.

>Pushkin
>Dumas
>two of the greatest writers of all time
>both black
Racists BTFO

>no films
Nignogs BTFO'D

This is all lies. There's no real evidence that he was black. Black officers in the French army? Pls. Why do SJWs have to constantly make up shit?

t. WE WUZ

>Toussaint L'Ouverture film
Shit, good luck getting that made. America would prefer if the entire world forget that Haiti exists. If people learn about L'Ouverture it's not a huge step to work out that the country has been deliberately sabotaged by foreign powers from its creation up until right now.

Best writers are Irish, m8.

Russians*

>muh Joyce
Ireland a shit.

Anglos >= Freedoms > Everyone else but Irish and Africans > Irish >= Africans

Frenchfag here, mulatto people were actually surprisingly common during that time period, and were known to own slaves in colonies, particularily haïti where the whole emancipation thing started.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gens_de_couleur

You couldn't separate Louverture from his successor Jean-Jacques Dessalines, the guy who actually enacted a white genocide on his island. The whole Haitian Revolution thing as a whole is still very controversial, for good reason; there's no way you can make either side look like the good guys.

He wants to make a hatian rev film not a dumas film

I guess that's probably why he doesn't want to add any white characters. Probably don't want to touch on the whole genocide thing.

Dessalines was a cunt, nobody's arguing that. But Louverture was 110% hero and Napoleon deliberately killed him for the sake of halting the progress of blacks worldwide and even said more or less exactly that in a letter explaining his actions.

Louverture emerged as the clear leader of the emerging Haitian state and was actively working to prevent massacres and reorganize the slaves into an independent army to fight for French interests in the Caribbean, which they were doing until Napoleon sent in 50 000 soldiers to stomp them into submission.

I think it's pretty clear that the French were a bunch of assholes in how they handled Haiti. Not to mention Vietnam. Really the French were a bunch of soulless monsters when it came to colonialism and they should be called out on it more often.

This is bait isn't it? Europe as a whole is already in the process of committing suicide by migrants, and you want to add the white guilt that's been plaguing the US for the past 40 years on top of that? You can't be serious.

>Really the French were a bunch of soulless monsters when it came to colonialism and they should be called out on it more often.

Every european country did that, I'd argue the iberians were much more generous in that regard

The only thing the French did wrong was losing the wars 2bh

you're a gay cunt btw

This

Also not genociding the locals like the americans, really missed out on that

Nobody mentioned an obligation of mass migration. That's fucking stupid.

France arguable owes Haiti financial aid though, but pouring money into that busted pit would be a bad idea. A more reasonable solution would be a healthy trade relationship, French observers and peacekeepers to help with Haiti's upcoming elections, their government pledging support for Aristide's presidency, supporting Haiti's lawsuit against the United Nations which would give it much needed legitimacy and maybe some planners and engineers to unfuck their infrastructure.

Also if they would admit they did wrong that'd be great.

I'd argue that the French probably took it to the next level compared to the English and Americans, who are the big names that come to mind when we think of how awful slavery was.

Of course nobody has anything on the horror of the arab slave trade but nobody talks about that because memes.

If the French won their stupid wars that would have been better than what we got. Napoleon's brother-in-law running Haiti and maybe slowly giving more rights to mulattos and then blacks would have been better than Dessalines at least.

>the locals
way to show that you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about

He was only 1/4th black.

>kill the old master
>come back to beg him for help

yeah, nah you're alone now cunt

I'm not talking about Haiti user

You forgot the part where Haiti still don't WANT French aid. They've been trying to distance themselves from France ever since the revolution happened, and they still see Dessalines (the guy who murdered thousands of white people) as their founding father.

>Also not genociding the locals like the americans

dude they were already dead from european illnesses

>Nobody mentioned an obligation of mass migration. That's fucking stupid.

That is irrelevant. White guilt has had an extremely negative impact on american culture, and I don't want to see other countries follow in its lead. France doesn't deserve chimpouts on the scale USA has, on top of everything else that's happening right now.

The Haitians didn't kill whitey then tear each other to pieces for 200 years straight. They overthrew the masters and killed a bunch, then declared themselves free but still loyal to France and fought the Spanish and English on their behalf. And while this was happening the French National Convention agreed to abolish slavery in the name of liberty, equality and fraternity, ideas which Haiti took to heart, but France was soon to forget.

And they don't beg for help, it's the other way around. France has been extorting Haiti for for an absurd amount of money since their independence.

Haiti is an uneducated shithole, what they think shouldn't be used as an authority on anything. Voodoo is still practiced by 5% of their population.

Did I say white? I'm saying French. Sorting people by skin tone is dumb and unhelpful.

How would acknowledging they fucked a country on the other side of the world cause chimpouts in France? There are no Haitians in France, they're all in Haiti. Ideally an acknowledgement of responsibility would restore some much-needed trust in both governments and put Haiti on track towards fixing itself.

The media likes to pretend that the country doesn't exist, so in case you haven't noticed here's the secret. Haiti is virtually always in chimpout mode. At the moment the country has no elected government because their past elections have been so controversial, they still haven't recovered from the earthquake that hit years ago, and the UN accidentally caused a nation-wide cholera outbreak recently. They have a lot to be angry and panicked about. If I were Haitian I'd be freaking the fuck out too.

>tfw I downloaded The Duellists and Waterloo recently
Need to rewatch those dirty little sluts. Both of them are so fucking good.

>Did I say white? I'm saying French. Sorting people by skin tone is dumb and unhelpful.
Oh you're one of (((those)))

>french are white

when will this meme end?

>those
that's a thing?

Even though Dumas was a quaderoon (so?) he faced a lot of racial bullshit from other writers and critics. I believe one quote from a critic was along the like that if you scratched a Dumas butt you'd find he was nothing but a beast; a negro. Also he looked pretty much like prince when he was younger. Pic related.

Despite that fact, Dumas writing outside of one book was pretty passive toward racial issues and slavery. In fact, Fredrick Douglas didn't particularly care for him because he said that despite the fact he is such an accomplished writer he didn't seem to use his power to address discrimination and slavery that came back to France by way of napoleon. He said he outside of his stories he shouldn't be looked at as much else beyond that by blacks around the world.

On my phone. Sorry for the typos.

>Black officers in the French army?
France have a different empire to the others, In their empire a black man could become an equal, probably why their empire lasted longer than most

>HE'S NOT A RACIST WHAT A NORMIE GET OFF MY 4CHINS REEEEE

Slvery didn't "come back" with Napoleon. He simply repealed a law which eased tensions with French colonies already flouting it.

In his final 100 days in power he outlawed it again.