How the hell did Kubrick get away with this?

How the hell did Kubrick get away with this?

REAL

it was a cop out. he didn't even show them fucking

>he didn't even show them fucking
He didn't need to. He leaves it to your imagination cause that's worse.

In the book, Nabokov never explicitly describes a sex scene. And Nabokov wrote the screenplay for this.

Lolita in this is a pure 10/10.

Night of the Iguana was more lewd

you can't show sex on screen it's never convincing. orson welles said that

Can someone explain to a pleb why this book is considered one of the greatest novels of all time?

HUMAN

style over substance, aka 'muh prose'

BEAN

Kubrick wanted to be far more explicit than he was allowed to be. He said he wouldn't have done the film if he had known how restricted he would be.

Personally I don't mind, I think the film is solid comfy-core.

he didn't do anything in night of the iguana

Neither did the book, explicitly, if I remember correctly.

>no sex scenes, hardly even implied
>girl is too old
I know Kubrick couldn't have done it any other way but if you take away the interesting part of the story, the story isn't interesting anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the film. I've read the book about 5-6 years ago. But there's no way something like this could get made today.

The movie begins with a two minute foot fetish scene, pushing cotton between toes, while painting nails. When Humbert first sees Lolita she's in a bikini, sunbathing. Immediately he says he wants to hire a room. She behaves like such a minx, "I don't think you care about me." "Why do you say that?" "You haven't kissed me yet." Car shown speeding up. "Should we tell mother about what we did?" "Oh, I don't think she'd find it funny at all." and on and on. It's literally a romance between an underage girl and an adult man, he has to be over or nearing 40. She's what in the movie, 15?"

yeah I know I only said it was in contrast
the swimming was kind of not really I guess

Is Lexee in the cover?

she looks fucking 40

One of the reasons why is it helped pioneer unreliable/unsympathetic narrators. Like with everything I have to say they existed before this particular book, don't get your "aschtually's" out. The point is Lolita took it to a new extreme and really tried to make a hero out of someone deplorable. The format of the book is even setup like most heroes journeys.

It also requires multiple readings as everyone lies but you need to know certain future facts to know that is the case and Nabokov would make fake media and other accounts even fake book reviews of his own books to blur the reality even further. Even the author became a liar in his work.

Kubrick liked adapting works with unreliable narrators starting with this, but the majority of his subsequent work would feature this. With the one post Lolita exception maybe being 2001. You aren't supposed to believe Alex, you aren't supposed to believe Jack, you aren't supposed to take Joker's sarcastic musings on the military serious or Barry Lyndon entire life built on lies at face value.

No, she doesn't.

I watched this for the first time a few days ago, I liked it. The ending didn't make me sad but it gave me a real empty feeling to see the path the characters went in

Wew

What happened to her?

What do you mean? In the movie she's a perfect 10.

I mean: WEW MADAFACKIN LAD

What happened to her? In real life of course.

Predictably, she grew up to be a very attractive woman.

it was a different time then.

I like how everyone is afraid to post the picture of her in a bikini, even though its a still from a film. This place is becoming reddit.

I certainly am scared, don't need a ban.

remake when?

My dad always told me the remake was way better.
Is this true? I'm interested to see it

It's not as comfy as the original but Jeremy Irons' performance is god-tier and some scenes with Lolita can be genuinely unnerving, like them spending the night at a hotel or them making out in the car right after he picks her up from Summer camp

>or them making out in the car right after he picks her up from Summer camp

Kubrick did it better with the "You haven't kissed me yet" scene.

my dick would asplode

>remake when?

Remake starring a young transgender, I like how you think user!