Why doesn't Hollywood make great epics like this anymore?

Why doesn't Hollywood make great epics like this anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

a.pomf.cat/ostbnd.webm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because they have capeshit to pump out.

because Lawrence of Ambien is a bloated piece of shit movie

Your mother is a bloated piece of shit.
Lawrence is a masterpiece of storytelling.

>Lawrence is a masterpiece of storytelling
More like pretty but devoid of substance, just like my mother

What are the best Epic Length Kino?

I enjoy Lawrence of Arabia, Ben Hur, Amadeus director's cut, Dances with Wolves extended cut, Zodiac

>devoid of substance
Confirmed for not having seen it.

>devoid of substance
>LoA
unironically kill yourself

Oh yeah, I forgot The Human Condition and LOTR

Gone With the Wind is the GOAT

People don't like "epic" things, memes aside. Take any shitty comic book and you'll find "epic" scenes, yet this are never brought into the screen.

Did I ever tell you of Lawrence?
He was a cunning general, and I played him like a fool to get my land and my country, leaving him just the shell of a former man who later decided to suicide himself with his bike.
He was a good friend.

I actually haven't seen that yet, thanks senpai

Das Boot uncut

Is the Director's Cut acceptable for a first time watch?

Not on par with those two but el cid is epikino

Because they can just crank out a capeshit movie with a template every year and make way more money

Satantango

I have seen it some of it, but I was never able to make myself finish it. The story justifies maybe half of the film's length, the characters and dialogue are inane and what little substance and humanity there is in the film is lost in overcooked spectacle and scenery shots.

Seriously fuck that movie, it's honestly a disgrace to the story of T.E. Lawrence.

Fritz Lang has some overlooked silent epics. Die Nibelungen, and a bit less epic the original Dr. Mabuse.

Gg kino bee

Once Upon a Time in America (the director's cut and the European release cut. The USA release cut isn't epic length and it's a fucking mess that you should avoid like the plague)
Patton

I'm not sure if I can stomach 8 hours yet, but I will keep it in mind cheers

essential snorecore

There's nothing wrong with making a movie in a, well, epic fashion, with epic dialogue that's more difficult to follow. If the treatment is justified and consistent, it works out perfectly, which is what Lawrence of Arabia does.

If you're not capable to appreciate this type of film it doesn't mean it's bad, it just means you're a cuck.

Try Out 1 then

Ten Commandments.
Great fucking movie.

>I have seen it some of it, but I was never able to make myself finish it.
Then you have no right to shit on it. You can't watch part of a movie and assume that the rest of it is shit.

Director's cut is like three hours so yeah

>tfw Cred Forums has turned satantango into a meme

>Once Upon a Time in America
>Patton
>snorecore
Get the fuck out, pleb. Once Upon a Time in America is a 10/10 masterpiece and Patton is pretty damn good.

thanks pham, never received so many helpful replies before

>Pleb discovers plebish nature
>runs with it with gay abandon
Very poor bait sonny Jim.

It was always a meme

I actually bought that on bluray after enjoying Ben Hur, it's in my queue. Cheers

epic movies > everything else

Did you see how many extras, outside shots and just the inane amount of REEL they must have used?
It would probably cost a bazillion dollars in these days, not to mention that thanks to the Israel/US foreign politics filming in the KINGDOM OF JORDAN or any other actual Mediterranean arab country is just asking for it, you have to go to Africa but then you lose the locale.
Also directors of photography these days all have eye cancer so even when you have perfectly good shots like in The Revenant they have to alter them with disgusting filters, even if the scenes were shot with natural light.

This thread is particular because I saw Lawrence for the first time 3 days ago and loved every minute even if it glossed over a lot of ugly facts about his life and the War itself, and while I was watching it I realized you couldn't do such a movie in this era for a plethora of reasons.

Because they cost a shit load of movie to make, and they don't make money. Mainstream audiences aren't really interested in seeing them because they're long and "boring."

When epics were popular, you could make an event out of going to the movies, now it's a lot harder to do that. Most people just want quick entertainment. I think Avatar was probably the last movie to try to become an event like an epic movie, and Cameron had to act like he was revolutionizing film to make people interested.

The fact that I can't get more than 60% into the film without feeling an overwhelming urge to turn it off and watch something else is enough for me.

They do feel special, I forgot to have Seven Samurai in my list of ones I liked.

It doesnt matter. Just be grateful you got that classic.

also dis
in color!

Dubs agree with this very post
Good job user

It's not bait

There are plenty of other classic films and epics that I love, but I simply can't stand LoA. I've tried to watch it on 3 different occasions and could never finish it, and this is coming from someone who loves David Lean's other movies.

spoken like a true pleb

The Last Emperor

Oh your right gay rights and anti homophobia is what I want to see in my historical epics

the OT as a whole is 10/10

You are an odd potato aren't you? Well to each his own

>I disagree with the ideological standpoint the movie suggests
>that makes it a bad movie

The OT would've worked so much better as a single 4-hour film since aesthetically it's very much in the style of 60s/70s epics.

each film has a clear climax, etc. You'd have to rewrite the whole thing.

It works perfectly fine as three 2-hour movies. They precisely divide the three acts of the main story arc.

Doctor Zhivago for fucks sake. It's even another Lean movie.

Ben Hur
LoA
Doctor Zhivago
Godfather 1 & 2
Apocalypse Now redux
LotR trilogy

How the fuck can people not get invested in long, epics like these?

Kagemusha and Ran are pretty fucking good.

I get a rigid bono just thinking of these movies chum

thanks senpai

Also The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly extended edition or directors cut or whatever they call it

Out of curiosity, has there ever been an epic horror film? Is it because horror is such an exhausting emotion that stretched out over an incredible runtime would damage the film?

pic possibly related. At 2hr 36min that's impressively long, especially by 1978 standards, though just shy of that fabled 3hr runtime. It's also nearly uniformly praised by both genre fans and legit critics. Is this the only horror movie that could be argued is an epic? I'd like to think so.

recently discovered this. 9 hour miniseries from 1980 starring richard chamberlain and toshiro mifune, shot on location in japan.

why do white people invade other people's cultures?

it's legitimately bothering me.

Ran

try wikipedia longest movies page

The sheer amount of people, weapons and costumes that Kurosawa used in all his movies amaze me. I genuinely believe that it's impossible to replicate nowadays.

Read a history book retard.

>you people
>i'm not even murrican
movies allow you to show worlds which we could never know irl. from the very beginning of the film industry movies would show far off places, starting with the Lumière, Edison and others making films that were simply a view of some place for a few minutes. With fiction this was expanded into impossible places and time periods, like Meliès' A Trip to the Moon from 1902. I don't get why anyone would have a problem with this, be it in a realistic depiction like shogun, or a non-realistic one like pic related.
Japs could just go make their own movies where they portray other countries in whatever ridiculous way they want to. Literally nothing wrong with that.

Because it never did - that's a British film.

Ben Yusuf is my nigga

It's a damn shame, I think all these Roman/Medieval movies that come out lately are just too fake. When you see Ran and a samurai army is charging or something, they literally put together an army of men in full equipment. The cavalry movements were especially impressive. But anytime I see this stuff today it's either CGI or there are tons of brief cuts to hide what's going on, or trick you into thinking there's more than there is.

a.pomf.cat/ostbnd.webm webm related, too big for 4chin

Fuck it I'm reinstalling Total War.

>British film
>produced by an American company

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Andrei Rublev
Fanny & Alexander

epic bump

Because that movie by today's standards is:

>misogynistic
>sexist
>racist
>cultural appropriation
>white man saviour complex
>arabs are portrayed realistically in historical context = racist
>too real = racist
>buzzword
>buzzword 2
>buzzword 3
>#killallwhites

Even tumblrs favorite critics cant be triggered by El Aurens

The person who made this post is either a woman or a nu-male.

Which is it?

Ever heard of the group of people called "the jews"?

Does Conan the Barbarian count as an epic movie?

No, it's a flick at best.

Did you really have to bring your memes to this thread?

Millennials have too short of an attention span to watch anything more than 2 hours long