What are Cred Forums's thoughts on The A.V. Club?

What are Cred Forums's thoughts on The A.V. Club?

Other urls found in this thread:

avclub.com/tvclub/surprise-modern-family-doesnt-handle-race-very-wel-233895
avclub.com/article/best-american-film-directors-robert-altman-robert--220706
youtube.com/watch?v=Oi1lx4NALbY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ignatiy Vishnevetsky is a cool guy

SJW to the max

avclub.com/tvclub/surprise-modern-family-doesnt-handle-race-very-wel-233895

I read their Sopranos blog alongside the show and it helped me tremendously.

this pretty much, he's a good writer with salient insight

everything else is a race to the bottom, or rather, top of the SJW pyramid. Reads like college film students coursework. Reviews are garbage. Features are just 'member berries.

This

But also
Seinfeld reviews were cancer

I like reading some of the reviews for Always Sunny.

The comments section is basically tumblr.

On the editorial side, all the good writers left. They hired unprofessional SJWs who bitch about racism/sexism/etc. all the time (that's when they're not failing to upload the review).

The comments section is the worst form of cancer I've ever seen.

>while Phil is lying about his latest client to Claire because he knows she’ll see the client is exactly his type. That’s fine, other than the fact that Phil’s type is “black women.”

>The reveal is beyond tone deaf, and seriously inexplicable as a storytelling device because it isn’t funny, nor does it really do anything for Phil as a character. Instead, Phil’s love of black women is played as a joke, but it’s hard to see what’s funny about it (spoiler alert: it’s actually just offensive). Alarm bells go off immediately as Phil lies about the woman’s appearance to Claire and then tells the camera that he had to tell “a little white lie, which is ironic.” I mean, how does that joke make it through rewrites? How does such a rote, dated, stale idea make it into the script of a mainstream comedy? It’s baffling that this is the route Modern Family decides to go, and with charming Phil of all people.

test

>Its only okay when white women lust after black men
t. Louis ck

becoming a ridiculous SJW shithole. all liberal talking points and checklists.

got banned in a Forrest Gump discussion recently because i dared to call out Jenny on her behavior...that she got AIDS due to her actions was enough of a reason to delete my post.

I liked the series analyzing/remarking on each Sopranos episode. Other than that it's like the Huffington Post but for tv and movies.

Would you prefer the comments to be full of people with anime/frog avatars sperging about "cucks" and "degeneracy"?

avclub.com/article/best-american-film-directors-robert-altman-robert--220706
here's their list of the greatest american directors, they even included D.W Griffith
what do you guys think

Don't reply to me ever again

Or your wife's son?

Much like on Reddit, I see deeper discussion than I ever do on Cred Forums, which is usually just moaning about how everything is terrible without actually going in to why it's terrible.I agree the SJW element ruins anything position going for it though, same for Reddit and the comments section is just appalling.

That wasn't a comment m8, that was the review

>chink moot is the pedo kingpin

I just check the TV page to see which series have a new episode out

I mostly stopped caring about their reviews when I noticed most of the reviewers are either morons who barely understand the show they're watching or full-blown cucks who rate shows high or low based on politics

Their critic reviews for stuff are great and always in-depth.

hating them is a meme.

Like most sites, only hires English majors with no meaningful real life experiences who embarrassingly try to write as intermediates between the downtrodden, who they've never interacted with in any meaningful way, and other yuppie hopefuls like themselves.

Film/television criticism is completely dead.

Stopped reading at Kathryn Bigelow.

some of the absolute worst reviews I have ever read in my lifetime.
I've never read a review that I didn't laugh or cringe at.

A.A. Dowd is a great film reviewer

helicopter bait

I did this with Mad Men, and it was similarly helpful.

a lot of their TV reviews (outside of older recaps for Sopranos, Deadwood, Mad Men) they have a frustrating habit of picking the worst writers to review new shows, or writers who are a bad fit and can barely follow the plot and remember details properly.

not to mention every comment thread is a cesspool of the most obnoxious comments choking on their own smugness

John Teti's Six Feet Under reviews are brilliant and actually help me get more insight into the show.

back when ZODIAC MOTHERFUCKER used to post there, it was a pretty cool site

it was still nerdy and beta, but they didn't get their panties twisted over problematic depictions of women and POCs

I wish somebody would start a site like the old AVclub. it can even be a little left leaning, but just as long as they actually give their opinions rather than using movie reviews as a means to virtue-signal

on a related note, ZODIAC MOTHERFUCKER's twitter is OWNAGE and NOT OPTIONAL

IV, D'Angelo, Dowd, the World of Flops and History of Violence columns are all still good.

I really miss The Dissolve

Was it ZODIAC MOTHERFUCKER or some other guy who used to review The Shield in the comment section, and it was always better than the actual review? Either way that guy knew his shit.

Some good writers, a bunch of terrible ones.

Overall terrible comment section.

I liked it when the guys who would go on to make The Dissolve were running it/

Todd VDW's old Sopranos reviews are review kino. Ignatiy is by far their best current film reviewer. The site is cluttered with virtue signaling bullshit from lots of other reviewers though, and a lot of the female writers are laughably bad at even stringing together a sentence.

The guy who would regularly one-up the Shield reviews was called wallflower. ZODIAC MOTHERFUCKER would usually reply to him. Both were pure kino. The AVC reviews themselves weren't too bad either, they just paled in comparison.

>a little white lie, which is ironic.

kek

If nothing else I'm now more interested in watching Modern Family

Just marathoned the first page, looks like 9gag for movies. Wtf Cred Forums

Good for movie news
Don't care for their reviews

They do music best. News and stuff is usually shit.

Great events and I love when they get bands to do shit like this youtube.com/watch?v=Oi1lx4NALbY