Portraying a society of native people who are more wealthy and resourceful...

>Portraying a society of native people who are more wealthy and resourceful, capturing the weak tribe people for their own sick devices because they have literally no sympathy
LOL holy shit, imagine if someone made this exact same movie but set it in Africa a few hundred years ago and had black warlords rounding up slaves.

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/commentisfree/2007/jan/10/comment.film
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sacrifice_in_Maya_culture
youtube.com/watch?v=zwut1DUXaZc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I N S T A N T. K I N O

lol niggers would lose their shit fucking niggers welfare chimp out

/thread

>Google apocalypto racist
>Multiple articles
HOW is this racist? How? They were factually and historical a barbarous society.

Spaniards are portrayed as good guys.

lel

This was far better than the Departed. The Academy has a lot to answer for...

"Gibson replays, in glorious big budget Technicolor, an offensive and racist notion that Maya people were brutal to one another long before the arrival of Europeans and thus they deserved, in fact, needed, rescue,"

Jesus some people lol

The movie is basically a "day in the life of" kind of thing and it follows one guy's story and struggle for survival. People will literally look for anything to bitch about to try and adopt the role of someone who's indignant and oppressed.

They're literally not in the context of the movie. They're just a dues ex machina. Quite literally, because the mayans thought they were god.

>People will literally look for anything to bitch about to try and adopt the role of someone who's indignant and oppressed
Best example I could find:
>Substitute the Mayan temples for Jewish ones and Mel Gibson's latest film is as anti-semitic as The Passion of the Christ
theguardian.com/commentisfree/2007/jan/10/comment.film

So were the Nazis. Humans are the problem at the center of every "race".

>''Peace is an armistice in a war that is continuously going on.''

They barely even appear though.

Their appareance is just to show the end of this civilization and decide the fate of the main character.

I know Apocalypto is not like that, but what are some good Conquistador films?

I know about Aguirre and all that, but I really want to watch another one that's good.

Does this mean something?

Pro-tip: No, no it does not.

For Thucydide yes

>Watch film about X
>BUT GUYS CAN YOU IMAGINE IF THIS WAS Y PEOPLE WOULD BE ANGRY ABOUT THIS IMAGINARY FILM I HAVE IN MY HEAD

These types of discussions pretty much have no merit besides inciting a circlejerk about whatever particular narrative the OP is attempting to peddle

I don't know, to be honest.

I know, though, that they're shooting, pic related, a film called Oro ("Gold"): the director, actors (except for those representing Amerindians, who are Latin Americans) and the writers are from Spain.

I don't know how historically accurate it'd be, but having the actors be Spaniards is cool for a film like this.

>Mel Gibson's latest film is as anti-semitic as The Passion of the Christ
So not at all?

You do know this movie takes place during the mayan social collapse due to overgrowth, famine and pestilence right?
The main theme of Apocalypto is about the fall of powerful society that are overgrowned and corrupted beyond control, and leads to inevitable self destructive paradigm and eventually dies out and being overthrowned by an even more younger and healthier society.
Yes the ending is historically inaccurate but this isn't history channel. This movie's purpose is to tell the story about societal and spiritual decline.

For me best film about conquistadors is El Dorado by Carlos Saura. Not sure if you'll find it in english though.

1492: Conquest of Paradise

>mfw I seen this Kino in the theater with surging surround sound.

Latino here, it's not racist at all.
My friends (white and latino) and I love this Kino.

>Spaniards are portrayed as good guys.

We got another pleb boys

Only whites and Chicano niggers think this film is racist, hell I'm inclined to think it's just whites since Chicanos love that aztec shit.

>Europeans bring dozens of diseases wiping out the biggest numbers ofbnative peoples ever
>freak out and start sacrificing people because of the Europeans
>portray the Spanish as heroes taking charge of a civilization out of control

It was kino sure but a bit silly

The civilization portrayed was the Mayans, yet the practice of human sacrifice was more closely related with the Aztecs.

yOUF UCKING DFAGGOTS ARE SO FUCKING BAD AT READING FILMS

the fucking final shot is clearly ment to be IMPENDING DOOM INCOMING

FUcking killy rouslef ucking NUTV FAGGOT SHIT EAITING POLLAKEK

Mayans were sacrificing long before eurocucks came along.

>According to director Mel Gibson and co-writer Farhad Safinia's DVD commentary, the halting of the sacrifices at the onset of a solar eclipse is a carefully-timed ruse by the Mayan ruling class. As precocious astrologers, the Mayans used their knowledge of celestial phenomena to control the underclass.
B A S E D

>portray the Spanish as heroes
Did you faggots even watch the movie? The Spanish literally appear in the last scene on some boats about to get in the shore. That's pretty much it. Any implications how they're supposed to be heroes and saviours are entirety in your empty heads.

>implying polcucks can read a film.
>implying polcucks watched the film.
>implying polcucks didn't just read the first article of Wikipedia and check RT.

lamo

It's a good thing they were only ironically letting themselves get genocided by cucks. They could have stopped it any time.

You don't know shit about African history and just assume it's gonna be debauchery and that's why you're stupid and no one takes you seriously

The sickness that was killing the people in the villages was small pox.

but niggers still do this nowadays

all the people saying that this movie is racist don't know dick, this movie is basically portraying what the aztecs did to tribes that were not under their rule.

yeah, it's most definitely exaggerated, but that's because it's a movie.

the spaniards were not portrayed in a good light either, the title of the film is their name sake - as the europeans showed, the apocalypse became real.

people constantly bitch about "muh x event" and how their people suffered a great deal (especially the kikes), but native americans are the only people in this planet who suffered a tragedy of this caliber. i wouldn't even call it a tragedy, it's just the way things happened, but they most certainly experienced an actual apocalypse.

Until people break the jewish conditioning nothing will happen

>movie about Mayans
>some retards think it's the Aztecs

I could watch Gibson historical epic for days.

He should have a go at some 1800s America stuff.

the sickness strike before they even reach the coast ?

>implying it was the first time they made landfall

Did you even read the fucking thread?
The notion that spanish were heroes was put forward by this post
where articles that claim the movie is racist also claim that it presents spaniards as heroes.
Which is why responded to that notion with "lel", because it's patently false.
Nobody in this thread said spaniards were heroes. All these posts denied it
The irony of this statement, that Cred Forumscucks can't read a film is amazing, considering all the people whining about Cred Forumscucks can't read this fucking thread.
Fucking morons.

Fucken tier top post

Dropped at the Aztec part. He's a fucking moron.

What about abos?

>admits to being a polcuck
kill yourself stupid faggot

Where?

I like the conquistador bits in The Fountain

He didn't admit to shit he said some faggots can't read a thread. Neither can you apparently so you have that in common with Cred Forumsacks

The Spanish aren't portrayed as heroes at all. They're barely portrayed. The opening quote of the movie suggests that they come to conquer and destroy. The hero of the movie is Jaguar Paw.

He's referring to the Aztecs because they had a prophecy depicting a "white man" arriving and being the human incarnation of one of their God.

>yfw you realize human sacrifice was a simplistic way of having population control.

Was the Conquistador in the end ever named? Is he based on a historical figure?

But the movie isn't about them is it? And no, before you start with the sacrifice stuff, the Mayans did sacrifice people too just never on anything approaching the scale of the Aztecs.

It also plays fast and loose with chronology, but the deeper ideas behind it are more important than historicity.

that's clearly what the movie imply

>'Apocalypto is unburdened by nationalist or religious piety" claimed New York's Village Voice. With this alibi, critics have allowed themselves to be won over by Mel Gibson's disgusting Mayan slasher movie. His previous film, The Passion of the Christ, was widely condemned for its anti-semitic portrait of Jews - repeating, many believed, the idea that "the Jews" were responsible for Christ's death. This interpretation was apparently confirmed by an incident last summer in which Gibson told a policeman: "Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." In the light of this there is palpable relief that Gibson has left his religious politics at home and made Mad Max in the jungle. But this relief is groundless. Apocalypto is a prequel to The Passion of the Christ, just as determined by Gibson's disturbing theological worldview and just as infatuated with the connection between blood and salvation. It's another Christian snuff movie, but most reviewers haven't the theological literacy to spot it.

>A village of peaceful hunter-gatherers is raided by a band of terrifying Mayan warriors who string up their captives and haul them off to the city. The male captives are used as victims in an orgy of human sacrifice to appease the sun god Kukulkan, who is believed responsible for a plague afflicting the city. One by one, victims are led to the top of the pyramid where the high priest cuts open their chest and holds aloft a still beating heart. The head of the victim is severed and flung down to a deranged crowd. It's important for Gibson's theological point that this sacrificial process just keeps on repeating itself, with hundreds of bodies dropping from the pyramid. Yes, it's sick.

Nope. They're appearance was really brief

>The connection between The Passion and Apocalypto is a very specific theology of sacrifice. The Epistle to the Hebrews puts it thus: "And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, then to wait until his enemies should be made a stool for his feet." Read as a pair, Apocalypto and The Passion contrast the macabre cult of the sacrificial system with the one true sacrifice of Jesus Christ. For it is a staple of a certain sort of Christian atonement theology that the endless cycle of temple sacrifice was done away with by the crucifixion.

>Apocalypto has been broadly condemned for its racist stereotyping, and historians have pointed out that mass human sacrifice was unknown in Mayan culture. But it's not really Mayans that are in view here. And perhaps that's why Gibson didn't care enough to get the cultural references right. Unfortunately this film is yet another chapter in his none too healthy obsession with Judaism. For Mayan pyramids read Jewish temple. Gibson knows that Jewish temple worship only involved animal sacrifice. None the less, his Mayan high priest draws from some of the worst caricatures of the bloodthirsty Jew as invented during the middle ages.

>The film's final scene is a shocker. As the gorefest plays itself out, a boat rows ashore bringing Spanish conquistadors and a monk holding high a simple cross. The Mayans look on dumbstruck. The old sacrificial system is about to give way to Christianity. Thus Gibson redescribes the genocide conducted by the conquistadors as a morality tale in which Christianity saves indigenous peoples from the Mayan death cult.

>In a sense, the cultural chauvinism is easiest to spot. What's more sinister is the connection Gibson is always forging between salvation and violence. The root cause is a theology associated particularly with Anselm and Calvin. Human beings are wicked and can only make it to heaven if they are punished for their sin, thus righting the scales of justice and wiping clean the slate. The problem is, human wickedness is so deep that the required punishment would be too much for us to bear. So Christ offers to take our place, accepting our punishment in the form of an excruciating crucifixion. It's the story of salvation, as read by the religious right. All sin must be paid for with pain.

>The technical term for this theology is penal substitution. It is, among other things, the reason so many conservative Christians like Gibson support the death penalty - wickedness must be paid for with blood. And it's precisely this equation that has come to rot the Christian moral conscience from within. For this theology is intrinsically vindictive, bloodthirsty and vengeful. Though many evangelicals and conservative Catholics think it the beating heart of the good news, it's a much later medieval interpretation that refuses the gospel's insistence upon forgiveness and non-violence.

>Jesus put it pretty clearly when he quoted his favourite passage of the Hebrew scriptures: "I desire mercy and not sacrifice." The retributive logic that sin can be cancelled by pain is just what Christ resisted. And it was a stand taken by the Hebrew prophets before him. By contrast, in Gibson's films, only blood can pay for blood.

I love love love when this kind of butthurt fags get rustled and they start spewing shit.

What a load of bullshit.

>tfw to intelligent for movies

That looks like Vigo, is that Vigo??

Then the white "man" came and killed more natives than the savages ever could. Hell they even took the land instead of going back home like the savages. Made the savages look like pussies desu

The Mayans were hardly savage, but you make a fair point.

While it's not about the Maya, I recommend everyone to read Conquest by Hugh Thomas. It's pretty wordy, but its a great book.

And the whole siege of Tenochtitlan was like some Warhammer type shit.

>last scene are the spanish ships off the coast
>movie is called apocalypto
>its the apocalypse

I recommend Aztec by Gary Jennings

>If Mel didn't make the movie he made, but made this other one that he didn't make, it would be anti-semitic
>ergo Mel is anti-semitic

Are these faggots for real?

Very insightful post.

>LOL holy shit, imagine if someone made this exact same movie but set it in Africa a few hundred years ago and had black warlords rounding up slaves.

It's gonna happen. As soon as Hollywood realises there's money to be made catering to the alt right, you will see a flood of alt right kinos.

The winds have already changed. Someone like Trump wouldn't have been of any interest ten years ago.

Just wait for it.

People not studying Aztecs, Mayas, Incas, and not knowing what they did. I knew that stuff from school.

>I don't know how historically accurate it'd be

Shooting that rifle there would make the guy deaf. I got a hunter to shoot his from from a meter away from me, and I lost most of my hearing for 4 months in the ear facing the weapon.

It boggles the mind that people bitch about this movie for not being accurate enough or somehow being racist.

How many other american film makers would direct a movie entirely with native american actors using a native american dialect? None, that's how many. And as for accuracy, what would the Mayans be doing to make up the plot of the film? Farmers in an ordinary family drama? Please.

Apocalypto is gut wrenching, brutal and keeps you excited the whole way through. When people said "Mad max fury road is the best action film in years" this is what they should have been comparing it to.

How the fuck do you think Europeans got their slaves?
They didnt go in and invade west Africa capturing thousands of people. They bought them from tribes who already enlsaved those people.
Jesus christ, the irony of you accusing someone else of not knowing history....

>christianaity saves indigenious peope from the mayan death cult
For fucks sake how can someone call themselves a film critic while missing the point of such a simple film so hard?

Are there actually people who would deny that the Maya and the Aztecs were brutal imperial powers before Europeans showed up? There's a reason the Spaniards were so easily able to recruit thousands of warriors from other, smaller tribes to fight them.

Nigga wtf are you talkin about

>For Mayan pyramids read Jewish temple. Gibson knows that Jewish temple worship only involved animal sacrifice. None the less, his Mayan high priest draws from some of the worst caricatures of the bloodthirsty Jew as invented during the middle ages.
>where the fuck is he getting this

tfw someone tries to be politically correct, and ends up being more racist/antisemitic than the person he's criticizing

>money to be made catering to the alt right

TOP KEK.nobody is going to make a "Holocaust was a prank bro" film for the ten of you on here.

Spain did nothing wrong
they brought the ligh of christianity to the savage americas
fucking anglos keep spreading their propaganda
Cartagena de Indias 1741 never forget

Except that's clearly the what the movie is implying.

They had an early celebratory TrumpWins thread on Cred Forums once and they were congratulating themselves for all the work done. I asked one of them if he really thinks Cred Forums will sway the election, and I got a shitton of answers from various countries(which is funny) all praising themeslves and how important they are in the grand scheme of things. That kind of delusion is Douge-tier.

>Anglosphere is wealthy and successful
>former Spanish Empire is a bunch of shitholes who keep swinging back and forth between communism and fascism

Spain is a joke and their colonies full of stupid mongrel descendants are the shame of the New World.

>yet the practice of human sacrifice was more closely related with the Aztecs.

But Mayans did practice human sacrifice, even the Incas, the most advanced pre-columbian civilization did practice human sacrifice although a less common and less bloody version of it.

I guess the belief that Aztec were nazis and the Maya were the hippie peaceful civ is still common.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sacrifice_in_Maya_culture

The Spaniards aren't portrayed at all. It's just a scene of ship of the coast. I hope this is b8 but I just don't know anymore.

>if I post a war that happened 300 years ago it totally proves that Latin America isn't a fucking embarrassment

>alt right

What the fuck even is the alt -rght btw?

If you mean a movie about non-white people committing atrocities, there is the Promise ,a movie a bout the Armenian genocide that is causing a lot of butthurt among turks and muslims

youtube.com/watch?v=zwut1DUXaZc

>What the fuck even is the alt -rght btw

No one knows, not even the alt-right. A dash of Natsoc, some paleo-conservatives, racists, butthurt gaymergayters, the always attaching libertarians and some American republicans who think that commies are taking over.

fucking hipsters

alt-right is a meme word to label all oposition to the establishment so the media can demonize it
"alt-right" includes fucking anarchists

Ancaps are just slightly more triggered libertarians

Pol was calling themselves that before the media caught wind of their autism, mate

Are you stupid or some shit?

>pol celebrating before their meme candidate is even in office
>thinking Trump will actually win a general election
>circle jerking that you contributed to absolutely nothing

Their delusion knows no bounds