Itt we discuss lovecraftian movies and pseudo-lovecraftian movies

Itt we discuss lovecraftian movies and pseudo-lovecraftian movies.
What are some good lovecraftian movies?

Why arn't any big budged lovecraftian movies being made?

Which storys would make good movies? And who would you cast?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XHuY2wXTd0o
youtube.com/watch?v=SHbuE7rbDzs
vimeo.com/45798649
youtu.be/vw3tuiND_xk
youtube.com/watch?v=UF-DM-EyuNQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Dreams in the Witch house.

Lovecraftian movies:
Dagon, Reanimator, the wicca man, the valdemar legacy, etc.

Pseudolovecraftian:
Hellboy 1, event horizon,

youtube.com/watch?v=XHuY2wXTd0o

The call of Cthulhu

The mist

>What are some good lovecraftian movies?

Dagon.

>Why arn't any big budged lovecraftian movies being made?

I'll just quote what some user said before:

>Lovecraft's central concept was cosmic insignificance, human limitation and ignorance and materialist horror. There's no God or Devil, no ghosts or spookily dookilys, but there are things that inhabit this very very old planet in this very very old universe in which we are a blip, which dwell, and will continue to dwell, outside of our very narrow-minded existence.

>The monsters and books and shit are tools to get across an idea. It's not about what Cthulhu IS, it's about what Cthulhu MEANS for you, me and the rest of humanity, what its mere existence implies for life on Earth.

So I have an idea for a tv show about an extradimensional being that ends up on earth and tries to learn about humans and human nature and shit. it would be a episodic series with the monster thing meeting a new person every episode. who's dick do I suck to get it made?

What was the name of the movie where some priests are sent to a church to investigate a supposed miracle and find a tunnel there that turns out to be an ancient deitys mouth?

>Why arn't any big budged lovecraftian movies being made?

No love interests and nihilistic endings. Studio execs had that shit.

>>The monsters and books and shit are tools to get across an idea. It's not about what Cthulhu IS, it's about what Cthulhu MEANS for you, me and the rest of humanity, what its mere existence implies for life on Earth.

You could get this ideas across throu the medium of film, couldn't you?

Also, the modern cinematographical technology seems very capable to put lovecraftian horrors on the screen.

Midnight Meat Train was pseudo love.

FUCKK, I literally remember looking this up, i think it based off a creepypast

mine

>why are no big budged movies being made?

It's political. Lovecraft was a raging antisemite and racist.

>You could get this ideas across throu the medium of film, couldn't you?

The thing is the average person doesn't want anything of this sort.

When they hear Lovecraft brought up, they think about Cthulhu. And that's it. That's where their thought process stops. That's all they ever associate with Lovecraft, even if they have no idea what Cthulhu exactly is or what he represents.

And no studio is going to actually do a faithful adaptation, provided it can be done, of any of Lovecraft's works because they don't end on happy notes.

What I'm trying to say is they're only in this for the money, and they don't think pouring a shitload of money into making adaptation of Lovecraft's works will make them even more money.

>Lovecraft was a raging antisemite and racist.

He married a Jew.

And he actually mellowed out in his views once he actually got outside of the house and socialized with people.

nah, knowing hollywood their idea of Cthulu/Dagon/Yog-Sofofofof is straight up showing the beast and having some protag taking it head on

I really hope that new game they have in the works has me dealing with whackjob cultists and shit with an incomprehensible evil working it in the background

youtube.com/watch?v=SHbuE7rbDzs

So is Mel Gibson but he knows story structure and that's all that matters

borderlands

Absentia
The Borderlands
Black Mountain Side

3 decent modern films with lovecraftian elements. All fairly low budget, so dont go on expecting fucking Avatar with tentacles.

But we had movies like that that worked. Just think about event horizon.
I think it's a question of marketing. Heavyly advertise it as the first big lovecraftian movie being made, maybe add a character with boobs and people will love it.
Bad endings are en vouge anyway.

I really hope Hacksaw Ridge is solid

>based quads

faggots need to let go of the image of a spoopy tentacle monster coming out of the void. Lovecrafts actual works rarely went that far. It was much more involved with psychological horror and people witnessing mindbreaking shit.

The mainstream idea of what passes as "Lovecraftian" today is very far off base. For instance, look at the dichotomy between those who loved and hated True Detective season 1. Many hoped for a "Lovecraftian" ending where the Yellow King appears in tentacle monster form. Because they didn't receive this ending they think its shit. The irony here is that the actual ending of True Detective, especially once they descend into Carcosa, is very much true to what it means to be Lovecraftian.

In The Mouth of Madness is the ultimate Lovecraft-kino even thought it's not directly based on Lovecraft. It's also the ultimate Stephen King kino as an added bonus.

The Thing

Rough Magik

Should remake this:-

vimeo.com/45798649

Change it's horrible name though.

It was really good, but I thought the character stayed calm for far too long

I remember one of my favorite stories by him was the one where the explorer delves deeper into this tomb and notices these carvings showing these types of lizard people and finds this bizarre corpses, I was reading it at 2AM and it was actually pretty damn creepy

but yeah, it's the small shit that's always the best with Loveydoveycraft (his actual prose is sub-par though holy shit)

I doubt many of these can be considered Lovecraftian but I figure this is the best place to ask this

I need more movies like
>Event Horizon
>Prince of Darkness
>In the Mouth of Madness
>Dagon
>the Ninth Gate
>Stargate
>Prometheus

something that at least touches upon grander/larger than life concepts, that portrays normal people coming into contact with them. Actually it doesn't even need to be that, I just want more movies that have ideas that could be in an epic fantasy or sci-fi but aren't typical adventures or blockbusters. I realize the last two may fall into this category but I really like how they deal with people discovering the origins of mankind etc. All of them other than Prometheus and Event Horizon started from a realistic or believable point and I think that's part of the reason they "really made me think" about what if all this shit was real

>In The Mouth of Madness is the ultimate Lovecraft-kino
It's not even slightly Lovecraftian.

Watch Occult. It's the best Lovecraft movie.

From Beyond is fucking awsome along with Re-animator,

The rats in the walls would make a great film if you could create a similar atmosphere to the one in the the movie "creep".
That was a good horrormovie.

Strange creatures from a world beyond our own, corrupting alien influences subverting our reality?

It's Lovecraft all over.

Except lead by a human.
Although he prays to an old god

That was dagon.
I liked that one, it's the first one I read.

Hellraiser 1-2

I never watched these. Are they really lovecraftian?

There are more good lovecraftian videogames than movies. Which is a shame

Rats in the Walls is so fucking cool.

I love Pickman's Model too, I read it a few days ago. There was a Night Gallery episode based on it that I've been meaning to look up.

>nah, knowing hollywood their idea of Cthulu/Dagon/Yog-Sofofofof is straight up showing the beast and having some protag taking it head on

worked for bloodborne

Oh God, do you faggots never stop talking about that game? Even on other boards.

The first one deals with demons, the second introduces a nightmare dimension. They are both solid horror movies. Dont bother after 2 though.

The Phantasm movies have some similar ideas too.

Good game. One of the worst lovecraftian thing that exist. durr hack and slash and kill and fight and blood everywhere hurr

this
at the end of his life, he was ashamed about his nazi writings

looks good

From Boyond is totally a Nyarlathotep movie

just brought it up as an example to show that kind of approach to lovecraftian horror can still work, not trying to fellate it any further

I don't understand why there aren't more Lovecraftian indies. You could make a fine Lovecraft-type horror film without showing a single tentacle monster.

so how about that At The Mountains Of Madness adaptation? is it canned?

It's not a movie, but Dead Space has a pretty damn good pseudo-lovecraft story.

I actually already watched them and loved both but forgot to mention them

Lord of Illusions was cool too

Europa Report

Yes. You can find the screenplay online if you're interested. It's pretty influenced by John Carpenter's The Thing.

So if we're like invisible ants next to these monsters and our existence is so meaningless and insignificant to them, why should we worry at all? That'd be like bacteria worrying about elephants

Shame. I know some people think its too slow/boring but its my favorite of his. I'll look for the screenplay though, thanks

>why should we worry at all?

It's part of the human nature, the way we think and live, to worry about shit we can't possibly influence or impact. Otherwise, why look or think about anything beyond what you see?

Probably because his stuff is too boring, haha. I mostly read about it on tv tropes cuz I couldn't even get thru the audio books.

In the Mouth of Madness is pretty lovecraftian, although I didn't particularly like it.

In what way?

youtu.be/vw3tuiND_xk

>no giant albino penguins
would not watch

Unironically this

>DyE - Fantasy
youtube.com/watch?v=UF-DM-EyuNQ

great lovecratian animation (adding sexual themes is a good way to modernize HPL ie. From Beyond, Moore's Neonomicon)

>lovecraftian
christ, the man did not invent or even provide the best examples of weird fiction (even by his own standards: he would always praise other writers and his best stuff are all collaborations) and yet mouthbreathers only ever refer to this style as 'lovecraftian'.

I watch this trailer every year & I'm still in awe: it's so well made. Anyone knows which movies has been "sampled" here?

>getting upset about pulp genre fiction

lmao

>projecting feelings you have on randos
lol

just saw Dagon, absolutely loved it, will i like in the mouth of madness?

>event horizon
that's more warhammer 40k than lovecraft

Stranger Things

That's cause he popularized it, fám.

You're splitting hairs in a "well, Halloween didn't INVENT the slasher genre" fashion.

Best Lovecraftian movies tend to be by proxy.
Things heavily influenced by his cosmic horror outlook, yet not based on his own work.
Films like The Fly (both versions), The Thing and the original Alien (Prometheus too, if it wasn't also half retarded).

When things get this sexual, I tend to call them Cronenbergian or Barkeresque.
Lovecraft's deal was never this visceral.

It's too on the nose and kitschy to be Lovecraftian.

i do the same, not barkeresque tho. don't see him as being of the same quality as cronenberg

Not that user, but I remember in the first one, you find out everything is fucked up due to the miners finding a huge alien construct - it's this huge evil looking stone that makes them want to bind their flesh together and shit like that. More Thing than Lovecraft, but a pretty horrible concept. I never played the others, so I don't know if you ever find out where it actually came from.

I know people are gonna bitch at me, but Bloodborne really is the most Lovecraftian thing I can remember from recent memory. The way they marketed it as "Dark Souls but with werewolves" was real fucking clever. Half way through the game just fucking takes this huge diversion, where you lift the veil on what's actually happening and you break the "ritual". This ritual is never really 100% explained, but people have put the lore together and it's pretty fucked up - the basis of it is that if you sacrifice enough people and call the name of an entity hard enough, maybe - MAYBE - said entity in the cosmos will look in the direction of this planet. That's basically the basis of BB's story - the people of Yharnham wanted contact with a cosmic being, and they got it. It caused "the stillbirth of their brains", which is the most Lovecraftian sentence I've read in a game. Stuff like pic related - which you start seeing in the second half of the game - just sends that "holy shit we're not alone and we're not even important, does the human struggle even mean anything, oh god" weird shiver down your spine, even though said entity could not give a shit about you or is even hostile until you make it.

Anyway I know this is Cred Forums so I apologise, but the context of the "lel tentacle monsters" in BB is more important than the creatures themselves. I won't even go into the whole way BB does dreamscapes, or that the final DLC area is a horrifying fishing village.

Under the skin did it first.

>it's this huge evil looking stone that makes them want to bind their flesh together and shit like that.
false, the black marker made people crazy when they got near it, except for one dude who wasn't affected by it at all
the mutations started happening because some other research guy decided to mess with the genetic stuff that made up the black marker, the black marker was later destroyed

the red marker, a replicated and flawed version of the black marker, straight up turns everyone into monsters

it's pretty damn good

>What are some good lovecraftian movies
there aren't any

More a lovestory than a horrormovie.
But still very good

This. Even more so when you consider the fact that the great old ones created all life on earth as a food source.

That is the biggest load of shit I've ever seen

Lovecraft is all about what you DON'T see, it probably wouldn't resonate well with modern audiences

I'm surprised we haven't seen a Hollywood Shadow over Innsmouth at this point. It's the easiest to adapt and wouldn't require a huge budget.

Could even do it found footage style.

That's 3rd Rock From The Sun!

That's Doctor Xargle

>It's not about what Cthulhu IS, it's about what Cthulhu MEANS for you
So basically, you're saying Cthulhu is a big guy?

I kinda disagree about it being Lovecraftian... the story is good sci-fi - but, the aliens were kinda Lovecraft-looking. I can't imagine that movie cost too much to make in the grand scheme of things, so just give us a damned Lovecraft movie!!!

yes, both are campy in a good way
watch too

The Last Wave
The Mothman Prophecies

>Lovecraft is all about what you DON'T see
Lovecraft is all about what you don't KNOW. There's a difference.

Lovecraft can be kitschy. Look at The Hound.

>worked for bloodborne
No it didn't. Felt more like Solomon Kane than Lovecraft.

Alien is one of the most lovecraftian films i've seen desu

What makes it Lovecraftian?

>Lovecraft is all about what you don't KNOW. There's a difference.
Lovecraft is all about what you CAN'T know. There's a difference.

Bowie would like to have a word with you.

>Lovecraft is all about what you CAN'T know. There's a difference.
Lovecraft is all about what you SHOULDN'T know. There's a difference.

>Bizzarre creatures that defy logic (in reality, silicon life forms would require so much heat to live a volcano would be cold for them)
>Existence of aliens shows we are not alone in the universe
>Ash is more or less a cultist, he shows perverse interest in the Xenomorph
>"Man was not meant to go here" is a central theme

It does a damn good job of giving us an alien that truly feels alien, not just in biology, but also in motivation. Both it and The Thing do this extremely well.

No human motivations for their "evil," just blind idiot instinct. Evil vanishes in the analysis.

humans are reduced to food by nightmarish thing coming from space. even if they fight back, they can't really win.

These
The original aliens in alien are terrifying. We have no idea how or why they sre there- only that the one on the ship is an unstoppable killing machine past human comprehension. That sinking in your stomach that you get during the first half of alien always felt similar to the feeling I got reading lovecraft.

>what is Dagon (2001)

That sounds like a really broad assessment of the movie. If you applied most of that logic to any other monster film you could also call it Lovecraftian.

>Bizzarre creatures that defy logic
The logic defiance isn't really obvious or meant to be relevant like it is with the architecture of R'lyeh for example.
>Existence of aliens shows we are not alone in the universe
Xenomorphs are essentially extra terrestrial animals, they're not malicious anymore than a lion is. I think for the alien aspect to be Lovecraftian, it has to have some incomprehensible or unfathomable intent.
>Ash is more or less a cultist
>Man was not meant to go here
I didn't really experience those themes and I've seen Alien a few times. They were a mining crew that were woefully unprepared for what was unleashed on them.

The antagonist of Alien and The Thing are completely different. One shows signs of incredible intelligence and impossible biology, not only in how it can transform but the fact that it can survive frozen for great lengths, and recover even the most fatal wounds. It's frightening that something so intelligent is immediately hostile without a discernible reason.

The other is a predator who comes from an insect-like colony and uses its prey for reproduction. Its motivations for killing are known and obvious.

>It's frightening that something so intelligent is immediately hostile without a discernible reason.

I like the fact that it can build a vehicle from scrap parts. And it only has to reach the ocean to infect the Earth..

Ghostbusters. I'm serious. Four ordinary men use science to battle an interdimensional god and the world as they once knew it turns into a nightmarish landscape where creatures beyond their ken roam the streets and it all culminates into a giant marshmallow man and they are all terrified beyond the capacity for rational though.

>Its motivations for killing are known and obvious.
Yes, but what the species represents is a cold frightening truth of existence - the universe doesn't favor humanity, or even intelligence. A species like the Xenomorph mocks our achievements by virtue of simply existing and serves to embody the indifference of an uncaring cosmos.