When exactly did gore become a staple of horror films?

when exactly did gore become a staple of horror films?

In the 70's. Yeah there were gory horror films before but it wasn't until then that it became the norm.

When biology class went wrong

Horror = Horrific.

There's a difference between a horror flick and a scary movie even though they're synonymous to most people.

I sot of blame The Exorcist. It was huge and became known for its gore and disturbing imagery. That probably made people think that featuring gore was something people wanted, and it went from there.

The Birds

There really isn't much gore in the Exorcist. I think you might be retarded.

Psycho, the shower scene, and the other gory scenes in the movie.

Vomit and bile are considered gore by the MPAA.

It was tame back then by today's standards but it is still gore.

horror movie =/= splatter movie

though they sometimes overlap

I was taking about the public perception of the movie. It was perceived as a pretty gory movie when it came out, especially for something as big as it was. And, like pointed out, stuff like the projectile vomiting was considering gore by the MPAA.

Whether or not there's gore, people thought it was gory (sort of like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which is almost bloodless but is remembered as one of the goriest movies ever made), and it probably did a lot to the movie industry's perception of how people thought of gore.

It was in the 80's they went full retard with it. The 70's not so much

I think now its more about showing people in pain, to get a reaction out of the audience.

I like when gore is made to look kinda silly but scary at the same time.

when did gore and boobs STOP being the staple of horror films?

the italians did a ton of gore films starting in the 70s

I think it was The Town That Dreaded Sundown.

>italians
Oh I thought we were talking about relevant film industries

>implying the Italian gore movies of the 70's and 80's didn't change the horror industry

Whatever retard.

When they realised they make more money when more people can watch the movies.

Between 1957 and 1963 with the release of Hammer Films movies, Psycho, Jigoku, and Blood Feast.

>movie with zombies
>PG13

what did WWZ mean by this?

Yeah, a lot of the words get lumped into the same thing,

Terror: extreme fear.
Horror: an intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust.
Horrific: causing horror.
Suspense: a state or feeling of excited or anxious uncertainty about what may happen.

big mistake

Hammer Films were pretty tame on the gore front.

>Blood Feast
this. Herschell Gordon Lewis' 1960s blood trilogy: Blood Feast. Two Thousand Maniacs & Color Me Blood Red

gore was cutting edge in 70s

80s is when it became the norm

late 90s - 00s is when it became super retarded trying to out gore each other

Terror = Cinema

Horror = Flick

Suspense = Film

Terror + Suspense = K I N O

I thought it was because pg-13 was created and they saw it was easier to marker non-R rated movies that the gore shit stopped.

Not to mention that CG gore they used in the 90s onward looks fucking retarded.

>Who is Dario Argento?

Some time in the mid to late 1970s, with the advent of the slasher film and the cannibal film.

He's a tripfaggot but the first post is still the best post. Despite actually containing very little gore, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a transgressive film that started slashers going, and inspired subsequent pictures to contain loads of gore. The Last House on the Left was also the late Wes Craven's directorial debut, and had some bits of blood. Romero's Dawn dropped in the 70s, and hand plenty of squibs and nastiness. Alien's famous money shot splattered onto the screen for the first time in summer 1979. Jaws set the template for the modern summer blockbuster routine, and had some gore shots of its own. Although also containing very little gore (save a scalping and some other torments at the end), it's worth mentioning that Salo also came out in the 70s. Zombi 2 squeaked into the decade, also containing some amusing gore. I will hold my tongue about Argento as I have never seen an Argento film, but I'd expect it to strenghten my case: relatively tame gore by today's standards, together with disturbing subject matter and then-transgressive and pathbreaking filmmaking dominated 70s horror, which paved the way for the 80s as the decade of the slasher flick, The Thing, Robocop (a very violent movie in its own right), likewise predator, etc.