California Enacts Law Preventing IMDb From Listing Actors’ Ages

Deadline: California Governor Jerry Brown signed a bill today that will require IMDb Pro to remove the ages of actors and others listed on the site if asked by them to do so. The bill was pushed by SAG-AFTRA as a way to combat age discrimination, but is almost certain to face a First Amendment challenge.

The bill was narrowly crafted to apply only to “commercial online entertainment employment providers” that charge a “subscribers” fee, as does IMBD Pro. Online publications such as Deadline Hollywood, The Wrap and Variety – which can be viewed for free – are not subject to the law.

“Age discrimination is a major problem in our industry,” SAG-AFTRA president Gabrielle Carteris said on the union’s website. “SAG-AFTRA has been working hard for years to stop the career damage caused by the publication of performers’ dates of birth on online subscription websites used for casting like IMDb…Currently, many websites used for casting proactively present birthdates and ages to casting decision makers who often can’t avoid seeing this information even if they try. That’s wrong for performers, just like it’s wrong for all employees.”

“Even though it is against both federal and state law, age discrimination persists in the entertainment industry,” stated Assembly majority leader Ian Calderon, who authored the bill. “Unfortunately, it is common practice for casting directors and producers to use web sites such as IMDb and IMDb Pro to access information about actors, which can contain age information that should not be part of the casting decision.”

IMBd could get around the law by simply canceling the IMDb Pro contract of those who don’t want their ages listed on the site, because the law does not apply to free sites like IMBd.

deadline.com/2016/09/jerry-brown-signs-law-requiring-age-info-removal-from-imdb-on-request-1201825810/

>'oh, IMDb doesn't list this actor's age. Guess I'll just google it and find it in like three fucking seconds'

>Arizona Bay will never be a real thing in your lifetime

I wasn't aware that IMDB was in charge if casting decisions of everything.

Also, wouldn't actors have to provide their date of birth to an employer anyway?

People use IMDb for casting. IMDb has nothing to do with it.

All it'll do is make agents use other sites. I mean you're looking for an actress or actor in a certain age range. Of course age is important.

>actresses trying to force themselves to be considered for roles out of their age range
Just what Hollywood needed, more political correctness!

Only for imdb pro it says

I bet this is because of butthurt older actresses not getting roles anymore. As if no one can tell when your aging by your physical appearance. I don't need a fucking website to tell me that my next door neighbor is fucking ancient (she's sweet as hell though, will be sad when she kicks it).

if I owned imdb I would just block all requests from californian ips.

fuck their laws.

>age
>mattering

They judge by their physical appearance

>requiring-age-info-removal-from-imdb-on-request

kek the only actors who will request it are actors that age bad and probably have faces made of 50% plastic - actors who wouldn't get cast anyway. If you need someone to look a certain age or part, you're going cast them based on that, not some arbitrary number.

Would a simple listing of the actors birth year and date make this law pointless. Its not posting the age in a sense.

A-are they going to keep actor's heights?

I like to know which actors I'm taller than.

but how are goldie and meryl involved in all this nonsense?

0.1% world problems.

We should also remove pictures on request. I don't want people to see my ugly ass face.

How true is this age discrimination shit really? It seems like most of the noteworthy stars, both male and female, have been the same for the last 20 years. Pitt and Cruise still lead movies, so do Sandra Bullock and Meryl Streep, among a lot of others. Are these women just butthurt that they can't be cast as teenagers anymore?

doesn't this violate some amendments?

>commiefornia

oh

They're not.

>Huong Hoang

Everyone else in America has to list their birth date among other personal information such as social security number anytime they apply for a job of legal employment.

I can't decide which disgusts me more: the fact that this is news or the fact that apparently people in the acting industry by and large haven't been subject to this up until now

So all you have to do is sign out of your pro account ad you can see their ages again?

>California
Not even once