Are millennials short attention spans ruining movies?

The following is taken from an article in "Millennial Marketing" titled "Embracing Shorter Attention Spans":
>A few weeks ago I took time to catch up on some 1950’s movies I’d never seen, Giant (1955) and Rebel Without a Cause (1956). They were both very good movies, but moved so s-l-o-w-l-y that if I hadn’t been watching on an iPad in an airplane I may have given up.

>Long slow reaction shots, long slow establishing shots,and music swelling as the camera all give the audience time to process what did– or might– happen.

>Most movies just don’t work this way anymore.

>Perhaps with good reason?

>Audiences have changed their processing speed.

>As Terry Teachout, WSJ Theater reviewer observed, “You can count on contemporary audiences to get the point and see where you’re headed, and they don’t want to wait around for you to catch up with them.”

Source:
millennialmarketing.com/2011/05/embracing-shorter-attention-spans/

This is just fucking rage inducing. I just got done watching "Shame" with my GF last night, and all we could talk about was the cinematography and how it presented New York City. There's a shot of Fassbender running down the street that is continuous and just beautiful. And we loved how little dialogue there was in the film in general, but especially in the beginning of the film.

Is this just a matter of shorter attention spans, or is it a combination of people just having shit taste in films and being unable to appreciate good film making. Ever since I was a kid, I knew instantly that when a person complained that they didn't like a movie because it was too slow, 9/10 times the movie was fine and they were just retarded.

You're a Millenial

>I just got done watching "Shame" with my GF last night

>>>/red.dit/

Average and below average people out number the above average ones. I feel some movies explain way too much instead of letting you come to the conclusion yourself. Millennial are morons, but it's also the fault of the people marketing shit. There's some youtube somewhere explaining as to why people these days have shortt attention spans and it has to do with how adertising is bombarding you with shit every second, everywhere it can.

Film is a dogshit medium. Especially movies with their random time constraints to maximize theater revenue.

Have fun blaming random people for the choices of a barely relevant industry. Faggot.

Shame fucking sucked EAD

>He thinks he's an intellectual because of the consumer product he chose to watch

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Bro, we get it. You are the sole intellectual of your community college. I can assure you, no one is impressed and no one of actual intellect will recognize your "special" traits you are so proud of.

>Ever since I was a kid, I knew instantly that when a person complained that they didn't like a movie because it was too slow, 9/10 times the movie was fine and they were just retarded.

old movies do have pacing issues, something that got much better with modern films.

lol I was having the SEX with my gf, as I grabbed her tiddies we watched SEX: THE MOVIE and we thought it was high octane kino. I always knew how to recognize true kino since I was a kid and so did all my gfs. fuck millenials btw haha

Do you people just say anything you don't like is leddit? I guarantee that 90% of you who use that as an insult have an account there.

Why are you in this thread or even on this board if you hate films?

I didn't like it either. I had been misinformed that it was a Villeneuve film. I found it completely predictable and almost completely pointless. It was not a good story about shame. But I still really liked the cinematography of New York City.

I really hate this trend I see of people trying to degrade other people over a simple comment that they made, claiming that the person somehow views themselves as an intellectual. All it does is make you appear to be really stupid because you think that someone stating some basic observation is trying to look smart.

I will never understand why some boards freak out any time someone mentions having a GF, like they must be lying. It is beyond me. Would you like pics as proof?

TL;DR

I completely disagree. You are making a very broad generalization. If what you say was true, then you could look at any old film on the list of 100 greatest, and they should all on average have pacing issues that newer films do not, and this is not the case.

Also, I would argue that many old films were paced much faster because they tended to tackle larger subject matter and had to do so under more severe time constraints. I have seen far, far more modern films that are paced incredibly, self indulgently slowly and really don't go anywhere. Deathproof is the perfect example of terrible pacing. But take a movie like "North by Northwest" and the pacing is incredible. Or look at "Paths of Glory" or "The Killing", both paced incredibly well, and very fast.

It would probably help if he at least specified what he meant by "old"

Anything before 1980? 70? What?

Some older movies do draw things out to long though.

>I'm not an add riddled little shit, I just process and understand things faster
Meanwhile if you ask them to give the details of a film they can't even remember character names, millennials were a mistake

I'm guilty of that. I just watched Magnificent Seven and I'm not sure if I remember all the names. Billy Rocks, Goodnight something, John Hunte(I actually looked it up after guessing and it was Jack Horne), Red Feast... Chris Pratt and Denzel Washington, the Mexican guy. Even as we speak the details of the movie get fuzzier and fuzzier.
Fuck my memory is so terrible, I don't think it should be this bad at 26. I blame my poor upbringing and the internet.

Oh wow, so clever. How's that working for ya'?

I thought he made it pretty clear that he was referring to the 50's, so at least from there back.

Again, this argument is invalid, or incomplete. See

IMO, it's just excuses. The audience is the problem, so much as they accept the crap in front of them. The filmmakers, the studios -- they were the ones behind these shitty unoriginal (in both style and content) films. The same applies to TV: bad shows are 99% the result of laziness and, on longer shows, inability to plan for full seasons.

Furthermore, I've always thought that making an *entire* film shit is overkill. All you really need to do is make a presentable trailer -- beyond that, the rest of the movie should be fully up to the filmmakers' tastes and/or as good as possible.

TV is harder because a show's style is ongoing *and* they have the ability to change the channel. But with a movie, a person is already suckered in once they bought the ticket (since the average person will just sit through the damn thing).

Not really. He didn't mention a date, and the OP he was responding to mentioned two 50s movies as an example, but was talking about older movies as a whole, it seemed like.

Plus who would actually define a 60s movie as modern?

If I missed something and am being retarded here then by all means correct me, but his post came off as ambiguous and rather substance less to boot, since he didn't even bother providing examples.

Every cloud as a silver lining, with a shitty memory you can re-watch movies ever few months and it'll be almost as good as new.
I do it with comic books, every time a new trade is released I re-read all the old trades.
I have read The Walking Dead in full over 20 times now.

OP is so fucking reddit that he might as well shoot himself for getting partyv& by the FBI

Shame is a great movie ya fuckin doof.

Millenials are short. A bunch of manlets

speaking of short attention spans
has anyone else noticed the new movie trailers?
basically, it's a 5 second pre trailer, then they show the full trailer?
I find the repetition irritating

Shame is such a shit film but that cosmopolitan feel of the early 10's is so damn comfy

I was referring to the author of the aricle who clearly saw 50's as old. So I said at least from the 50's back, but I suppose he could have meant the 60's as well.

Personally, I would consider the 70's to be modern film, with some films of the 60's also fitting the category.

lol @falling for the meme shot in shame. back to every frame a painting. worse than pleb shit are pseuds.

What did you like about it? Do you think that it implied that they were both sexually abused as children? And that the had sought solace in fucking each other?

There wasn't much shame in it. Oh wow, interracial facials and creampies.....So hardcore, so shameful. And again, I found it terribly predictable. I didn't like the story at all, and the dialogue was weak. But the cinematography and visual approach to the film was very good. I thought it had a lot of potential but really fell apart when the sister showed up.

Also, the convoluted way it was edited at the end was just retarded. It was so non linear and jumped around so much....and for what? It served no purpose in telling the story. All it did was build up suspense and then nothing happened. Very, very bad ending.

Not an argument.

Tell me why it was bad.

Holy crap dude you're a massive idiot just stfu already this is sad I'm gonna rape you bitch.

There's nothing inherently more artistic about dwelling on a shot for a long time. Modern audiences do have shorter attention spans, but I've yet to see anyone construct an argument that completely sheds any criticism you could apply to older films.

Accept the fact that nobody is "to blame" for some imagined crime against the intellectual pursuit of cinema. The audience and the art form has evolved together. Viewers have developed their palette on the entertainment that's been presented to them and every generation has a natural inclination to the entertainment of their own time over the entrainment of the past since that's what they're used to. Making it an issue of "millennials" is foolish and short-sighted.

What's got up your anus, m8?

I've noticed it too. Do they think we don't know what we clicked on and need a reminder?

Trailers in general are trash and I avoid them even for movies I'm looking forward to.

>And that the had sought solace in fucking each other?
They did not seek solace in fucking each other.

>Very, very bad ending.
The ending is one of my favorite parts, as it was the truest look into a person dealing with addiction that I have seen in the medium. There is no end result to addiction, it is a daily thing, and his hesitance to go after the same woman at the end who he chased without any such hesitation in the first train scene was gr8 m8.

It didn't show whether he was hesitant or not. And no, this movie didn't deal with addiction at all, what the fuck are you talking about? You have obviously never been an addict.

The whole sex addiction thing wasn't even done that well. I mean, the technical definition of an addiction is when it begins to interfere with your life. The only consequence he had in the movie was not being able to get it up with the black girl, which seemed to me like he didn't really want to be with her anyway, and he was just trying to force himself so he could feel normal.

The only other consequence was that he wasn't there for his sister, but for one thing, that seemed just as much a result of the fact that he was mad at her and trying to avoid her as it did because of his sex addiction. And two, she didn't even fucking die. Not to mention it was completely fucking predictable. And it was really, really stupid and unnecessary how they made it look like she had jumped in front of the train he was on, what with them foreshadowing it in the beginning, only to have it turn out that whoever got hurt on the subway was completely unrelated and coincidental, but she happened to be at home with her wrists slit, and even though she called him last during the night, for some reason it was early morning and she was somehow still alive.

Also, are you trying to say that they didnt have an incestuous relationship? If not, then what was she alluding to when she said,"We aren't bad people we just come from a bad place,"? And why did she stand naked in front of him, try to make him jealous, crawl into his bad, demand to come into his life, catch him jerking off and laugh when he jumped on her in a towel with a boner?

Yes.

Tons of movies are being cut down because millennials can't pay attention.

It was the story of a man who was not a able to be intimate with another person. Both sexually and non-sexually. He tried to supplement his desire for intimacy with meaningless sex but as soon as sex meant actual intimacy (his relationship at the beginning) he was unable to go through with it.

It wasn't until he had to face the possible loss of his sister, the only person left in the world who might mean somethinng to him, that he realized how much he has become emotionally initmate (not physically, although their awkwardly sexual relationship is a metaphor for seeing intimacy as something that can only be expressed sexually) with her and how he has finally started to overcome his issue. He also realizes at the same time how painful meaningful relationships can occasionally be, as he fears being hurt.

ageist dreck

Nobody gives a fuck about Millenials.

People are living so long now that Boomers will still be around when Millenials start turning 40. Factor in Gen X and you don't even need to market to those twitchy fucks.

Hopefully the generation after them won't be as retarded.