Every single person I know recommends this to me

>every single person I know recommends this to me
>literally cannot escape hearing about it at work multiple times a day
>"it's amazing"
>"the soundtrack is incredible"
>FUCK ok I'll watch it
>it's just Spielberg lite with a Carpenter lite soundtrack

Are people this retarded? This show just rips off stuff that was done better 30 years ago. Why not just go fucking watch Starman or Poltergeist? This show brings literally nothing new to the table.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homage_(arts)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why are you still talking about it you pathetic faggot?

yep. honestly i was in the "holyfuckingshitthisisgreat" camp at first but after i took a step back and took off the nostalgia goggles, it's really not that neat.

also winona rider's character is absolutely horrible. a screechy, irritating, frantic mess.

>making another Froggo thead
ehhhh for what purpose

I liked it.

>starts off as whiny screaming moron
>endlessly frustrated by her
>can't wait for her character to be vindicated and redeemed
>it never happens

Holy fuck they wasted her.
What was her direction? Just be insufferably hysterical?

OP here... the ONLY good thing I can say about the show is that the photography was pretty nice and the acting was solid.

The story is just a shitty rehash of tired concepts that were interesting 30 years ago.

In her defence her son went missing

Kill yourself faggot

>ok so then he'll communicate through the electricity and it will be just like Poltergeist
>ok so then she'll dress up and it will be just like E.T.
>ok so then the government will come in vans to capture her and it will also be just like E.T.
>ok so then they'll go into a portal by tying a rope around themselves and walking into it and that too will be just like Poltergeist

Is this what passes for good writing nowadays? Every narrative beat and concept was lifted from somewhere else.

Who sits like that?

Yeah but characters are supposed to develop. I'm fine with her reacting to it initially in such a blindly emotional way, but she never channeled that fear or anger into anything else. She just delivered her lines loudly and sounded like she was about to cry for the whole fucking show. Awful character.

yeah, and you started this thread as an excuse to froggpost

Smug froggs sit like that

you forgot
>and then she'll go into a sensory deprivation tank and it will be just like Altered States
I seriously just felt like I was watching a mashup of 80s science fiction

>someone took the time to make OP's image

The things we will do for memes

You stupid fucker.

>mfw people actually think this is a ripoff and not a purposeful homage piece
The creators have literally said as much. No one involved is trying to pass it off as innovative or original. Still better than a remake though.

Not OP but there's a Stranger Things website where you just type in what you want and it creates a title card for you in the le retro 80s style

Does that make it any less boring?
No.
>I-it's a r-ripoff on p-purpose!!!
I don't give a fuck if you did it on purpose. You still mad a half-assed assembly of better movies.

pretty cool

>carpenter lite soundtrack

nah, Carpenter was a pioneer but he really wasn't some kind of peak for synth music and everything else is a pale imitator. that's a tryhard opinion

the Stranger Things soundtrack is pretty run of the mill synthwave that people are overrating because it's their first exposure, but it's not bad.

>be happy that the le 80s retro aesthetic meme is dying
>no more shitty Carpenter music getting passed off as good
>no more neon text getting passed off as cool
>suddenly this fucking show comes out
>now everyone thinks the le retro 80s are the coolest

Thanks, reddit.

wow they fucked it up when I clicked "download" even though it looked fine on screen

>Does that make it any less boring?
It's not boring. Like, at all. When you look around the world and all you find is tasteless assholes, maybe you should stop to consider if YOU are the asshole with no taste.

>le babbys first sequencer
The best thing you can say about the soundtrack is that it's "not bad." It's boring as fuck and I've heard it a million times before.

it is bad but you should know the difference between a rip-off and an homage

lrn2screenshot.

>I-IF YOU D-DON'T ENJOY THIS RIPOFF OF 80s MOVIES THEN YOU ARE AN ASSHOLE

I'd give you an upvote if I could!!!

maybe art isn't for you

So what is the difference? Is a homage just when you admit you've ripped something off?

I'd challenge you to name an original idea in this show.

>S-STOP L-LIKING THIS THING I DON'T LIKE
The Narwhal's baconning is nigh upon us.

Almost time to film Season 2! Wake me then

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homage_(arts)

but i'm not going to name an original idea in the show since i don't care about the show and it's not the point anyway.

I'm fine with biting the aesthetic as long as the story is interesting and unique.
However this show stole the aesthetic AND stole the story. It is literally copy pasted from like three different movies.

>the difference between a rip-off and an homage

it's whether people like it or not.

>Is a homage
>a homage

You pronounce the H, don't you?

>It's another "user hates something because it's popular" episode

I can't wait until we get to the "user realizes he is alone and nobody likes him so he kills himself" episode

Kill yourself pedo

>S-STOP L-LIKING THIS THING I DON'T LIKE
Uhhh meanwhile you're saying
>S-STOP DISLIKING THIS THING I LIKE

Which are?

basically. references to greco-roman myth or the bible make something 'good art', references to original content make it a 'rip-off'

>YOU SHOULD LIKE THIS BECAUSE YOUR FRIENDS ALL DO
nice try i don't have any friends

>The best thing you can say about the soundtrack is that it's "not bad.
What a coincidence, that's also the best thing you can say about synth music in general.

>I see this thing as popular so I made a thread on an anonymous board to prove to others how cool I am because I have contrarian opinions

They've already been mentioned in this thread.
It's Starman meets Poltergeist meets E.T.

>if you dislike a popular thing you must be doing it just for the sake of being contrarian
So... it's impossible to genuinely dislike a popular thing, then? I'd like to see you actually deal with some of my points.

Shut up you tool. You can have an homage to literally anything, theres no age limit

Nobody says you have to like thing, we just want you to stop complaining that people like thing.

i think you missed the point i was making

I don't give a shit what you like or don't like. No one here cares about your opinions

And poltergeist ripped it's core plotline off of the 'Little Girl Lost' episode of the Twilight Zone. It is MARGINALLY similar to ET, which isn't a terribly unique concept either. In fact, Starman and ET are MARGINALLY similar as well. Literally who gives a shit.

80's retro aesthetic isn't going to die off until 80s kids nostalgic for their childhood die off.

Strap yourself and learn to like neon junior, because you're in this for the long haul.

I missed some crucial punctuation in your post. Sorry senpai

>YOU HATE THIS THING SO YOU MUST BE CONTRARIAN
Can this meme die

Where did I complain that people like the thing? People recommended it to me and I watched it and it was awful. They are free to like it if they want.

but user the the man going into the dangerous place was tied to a rope so they could reel him back in if things went wrong!
That's something that only ever happened in Poltergeist and is clear evidence that the show is unoriginal trash.

Only when it stops being entirely accurate and descriptive of half the threads on this Nigerian tap dancing forum.

They also had hazmat suits like Breaking Bad. The whole thing's ruined.

>Where did I complain that people like the thing?
When you made the thread sempai.
:3

No one cares if you hate something, that isn't contrarian. What is contrarian is going out of your way to tell everyone that you've blown the lid off something popular and that we should all hate it because you didn't like it.

>Where did I complain that people like the thing

GUYS I CAN'T BELIEVE PEOPLE LIKE THIS WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH EVERYONE? CAN'T THEY SEE THAT HARDCORE MATHROCK IS THE ONLY TRUE FORM OF MUSIC STILL BEING MADE? THESE HACKS MAKING AND CONSUMING THIS POP CULTURE GARBAGE ARE WHATS WRONG WITH ART AND SOCIETY TODAY.

this is what you sound like OP

>describes a show as as being a rip off

yep, you are retarded

>horrible. a screechy, irritating, frantic mess.

how the fuck you would you react if your 10 year old got lost and then started speaking to you through lights you fucking moron?

there was a reason she was praised so highly for her acting and its because people with actual emotions could empathize with her.

fucking autistic teenagers, i swear to christ

Its been a while since I've seen an OP so BTFO

>projecting this hard
holy shit

>Every narrative beat and concept was lifted from somewhere else.

So its exactly like every movie and video game made in the last 10 years

I just came here to let you know I enjoyed it. I was totally hype for it months before it came out because it has Winona Ryder in it and I've had a crush on her since the early 90's. Anyway, I hope you're still here and I just want you to know I liked the show. I actually watched like 5 episodes at work then went home and finished watching it that evening.

so you never see any remakes or reboots? like ever? at all? you watched spawn when it came out and then enver watched another capeshit movie again? how fucking autistic are you?

and in 20 years you faggot millennials will be posting on Cred Forums about how much you want adventure time to come back

surge is great, btw

Not if they start a thread obviously written to get people riled up.

I don't care if he doesn't like the show, but why start a post about it? Fuckin attention cravers

I have trouble with the whole feelz thing myself, but, I felt for her. Which suggests one of two things, extremely good acting or she really went overboard.

It's pretty mediocre and got massive hype from nostalgia and due to the fact most people have access to Netflix.

Couldn't bring myself to finish it tbqhwyf. None of the characters were interesting and the monster is pretty bland.

the second i saw evil government types, i just shut it off. saw that like 30 years ago, how fucking unoriginal can a show get

that picture is TOP FERRARI

it was both. she was over the top and annoying, but a real mom would be too under those circumstances. the real problem wasnt her acting, which was perfect. it was giving that character enough screentime to become annoying

I turned it off the moment I saw there were kids in it. You know how many films/television shows have rehashed that tired old bullshit trope? I mean, Christ, I get it! 'Our Gang' came out in the early fucking 20s and Hollywood hasn't stopped remaking it for nearly a fucking century.

who is she?

whoa, calm down tumblr

Because memberberries.

Also the children in this show are literally copies of the ones from Freaks & Geeks, only shittier.

It's a ripoff but still nice. The soundtrack is enjoyable but most era songs are too cliché, they risked so little that 3 or 4 of the 8 songs they used were in Vice City. It made me laugh when I wasn't supposed to.

and seriously what's with doing all these television shows on television? does no one do shit on the radio anymore

>Also the children in this show are literally copies of the ones from Freaks & Geeks, only shittier.
...What?

this, they need to fuck off back to

It won me over when they played sunglasses at night. That was all I needed.

I'd be calm as possible.

I never listened to that garbage. Radio Drama was just a ripoff of live theatre, which people had been doing for literal millennia. Fucking hacks.

everything popular is bad the thread

>Are people this retarded?
yes

lmao what a faggot
synthwave masterrace

Did you hear they fired Noah?

Stranger Things fags on this board get so butthurt what the fuck? I liked the show but some of you show some serious indignation when anyone doesn't like or criticises it. Pathetic desu. Probably easily explained by the strong pedo overlap, pedos tend to be bullheaded and easily riled up.

That was when I started laughing, as I explained in

It's a solid 11 hours of content with no commercials, decent acting, good production values and a good narrative.

That automatically makes it better than 90% of television programs.

I'm not saying you have to like it. But it's not a bad show by any means. In fact the clothes, set design, props, cars and everything is spot of for an 80's time piece show on a Netflix budget.

You read this post because I posted a hotdog.

I just watched the first episode and I don't really hate it, but don't really feel like going on with it. It was just mediocre and didn't leave me curious about what would happen next or what would happen to the characters. They're all just bland. Truly 80's-tier.

Based Frog-Face poster, where are you?

>80s tier
>bland
pick one
lmao what a pleb

kys yourself

Only decent because everything else is trash

>kys yourself
here we see the average intelligence of the ST hater

yeah le 80s are so fuckin rad

>a show becomes too popular
>Cred Forums starts hating it even though they loved it a t first
>this happens all the time
Never change Cred Forums

I rewatched it recently
it's shit
don't get how I liked it the first time

This. She made a scene where she talks to christmas lights into something really emotional and touching. She's a skilled actress.

and a milf