What's Cred Forums's favourite musical?

What's Cred Forums's favourite musical?

How do you think musicals stand in today's film world?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nZyMc29QQK8
youtube.com/watch?v=bWP07YgUWig
youtube.com/watch?v=l3dhHBhWnBY
youtu.be/RBHZFYpQ6nc
youtube.com/watch?v=ePiGVI2Hs-g
pastebin.com/ehWCCpa1
youtu.be/jrGwjgK2jrM
youtu.be/8uaaF83eVig
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think there needs to be a Metal Gear musical

SNAAAAAKE EAAAATEER

Metal gear: the musical

On ice!

I was happy to see it on that critics list that was recently published as it seems to be mostly forgotten these days

> plebs who know nothing pre 70s

Best musical coming through.

youtube.com/watch?v=nZyMc29QQK8

My favorite was les mis, saw it from a snooty prep school play was amazing until I watched kiss me Kate that replaced it only issue is Porter really loved his long songs I.e. it's too darn hot

A blatant copy of Caberet.

Caberet is godlike, that ending 2spooky

Stop the Planet of the Apes; I Want to Get Off!

lsoh for the visuals alone, why is animatronics such a lost medium?

> Doubting Fosse

>How do you think musicals stand in today's film world?
In a world of shit. Musicals weren't made for the world of chaos editing.
Should have stayed forgotten.

Jesus Christ Superstar is fucking awesome

By the way if anyone is interested on YouTube there is one from a long live performance from 1999 by a London group

does musical films count?

Best by far

>What's Cred Forums's favourite musical?
Sound of Music.

Modern musicals are too self-aware.

Such a great film.
My second favourite musical must be Reefer Madness which coincidentally also deals with a satanic plant invading the life of an enamoured nerd in the 50s and severely influencing his lovelife, causing murder and bloodshed etc.

The only musical I've ever seen is Wicked in London like 8 or 10 years ago

It was cool I guess.

"Jack, we should work together, and defeat those evil Patriots!"
>Wu shu dancing with prop katanas commences

>a jolly song about romans kidnapping and raping a bunch of women

is this some kinda queeah thread?

you know no offense

no offense

but ain't musicals for queeahs or what?

Chicago

meant for OP

is it rape if they like it?

It's only queeah if you don't bring a lady friend

youtube.com/watch?v=bWP07YgUWig

Oh my god, I was wrong, he did no-thing wrong

Les Mis for the feels.

Not gonna lie, I always cry when watching it

pic related, although The Sound of Music is a very close second place. Julie Andrews is my musical waifu

Well the golden age of movie musicals has long since ended, but I'm sure there is still potential in the genre. Unfortunately like Westerns there really isn't much of a market for them anymore

A Very Potter Musical

>Repo The Genetic Opera
>Paint Your Wagon
>Fiddler on the Roof

Should I watch Cabaret or All That Jazz? Haven't seen either but enjoyed Chicago so want more that style.

Cabaret I guess it's more similar, but All That Jazz is substantially better as a film, it's pretty much an autobiography of the director

mah nigga

Little Shop of Horrors
Jesus Christ Superstar
South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

I want to expand my palette and try some more of the classics.

want to watch a bunch of drunk gold diggers attempt to sing? Paint Your Wagon is the best comedy musical. Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood in a musical, it's great
youtube.com/watch?v=l3dhHBhWnBY

All That Jazz should be your last Fosse film. It's worth the wait; incredible film.

rocky horror picture show. i'm a loser i know

Chicago was great but it lacked the edge that would have perfected its offense on celebrity culture. That said the dummy scene is fucking amazing; shame the director hasn't touched many musicals since.

youtu.be/RBHZFYpQ6nc
IDGAF its solid gold.
Captcha, pic related

Swing Time
They are both rare and rarely good.

This is what all the try hard faggot kids at my high school liked.

>Revolver!
>A single action is enough!
>Revolver!
>Six bullets, to kill anything that moves!

This. Maria inspired me to live a purer life

History, bants, and not having to compromise the cast with hollywood stars to put asses in the seats

I love that movie, also Top Hat which I think has the best song and dance numbers out of all the Astaire/Rogers movies

fucking hate that movie, it's such shit

>Maria inspired me to live a purer life
WTF I hate nazis now.

>fucking hate that movie, it's such shit
Shit film but the audience surrounding it was a little revolution.

I love the soundtrack. Don't like the movie.

Best musical coming through shame /tv always forgets about it

It always makes me think of The Simpsons episode where Homer and Bart rent this thinking it's an action-packed Western

What do you guys think of the "dream" scene towards the end of Singin in the Rain?

I see a ton of people say it partially ruins the movie because the story stops dead for 15 minutes, but I feel they're all missing the point of the movie and musicals as a whole. Visually it's the most stunning part of the film, and it it serves as an abstract representation of all Kelly's ambitions and emotions, just like every other musical scene in history. I really don't get where the hate comes from

And for some reason the last half hour of The Band Wagon, written by the same people and following the same structure, never gets as much shit despite completely throwing away the plot after an hour and becoming a revue show

I've never cared for Singin in the Rain, the whole movie leaves me cold. Honestly the only bit I like is the famous sequence where he actually sings and dances in the rain, everything else bored me. I don't care for The Band Wagon either

That part doesn't bother me very much, DESU. It was kind of what musicals did back then, and it was something of a musical history of the musical.

That said, while I generally like Singin' in the Rain (more for Don O'Connor than Gene Kelley, who is more showey than he has to be), I think it's overrated. There are too many cuts in the dancing numbers. These anons: and referenced Astaire/Rogers pictures, which are better in that respect, that the dancing is scene in full and with minimal (if any) cuts.

youtube.com/watch?v=ePiGVI2Hs-g
Jack Nicholson also sings in it.

It's too laaate, alas we were truely, The Sons Of Libertyyy!!!

the book of mormon. I hadnt been to an actual theater show in years, went in thinking id get some foul mouthed dirty joke fest, ended up getting a GOAT story and performance
It was awesome

I have some of the songs on my ipod

All of Solid Snake's questions should be replaced by a chorus.

>It's a... Metal Gear!
>METAL GEAR?

I really enjoyed Frankenstein and Paris, Parade is also god tier

Taking requests for musicals albums people want uploaded pastebin.com/ehWCCpa1

I prefer Jeepers Creepers

youtu.be/jrGwjgK2jrM

Too true. It was a cult hit before cult hits were a thing, and the following is still just as strong today as ever.

>posting the GOAT rock opera
youtu.be/8uaaF83eVig