Why was a rich, successful, good looking man so angry?

why was a rich, successful, good looking man so angry?

Impotent

He hated people because they constantly tried to fuck him over

He was only rich and successful because of how angry he was. It drove him.

he's white

this and a solid dose of narcissism.

BASTARD FROM A BASKET

because he was a cuck

this was my first thought also

He went crazy because of the loneliness

I'M FINISHED

He was sick of people telling him that he was the bomb in Magnum PI

Imagine being a wolf surrounded only by sheep

Eventually it gets boring when there are no other wolves around.

>a bowling alley in the 19th century

Don't make me laugh.

I DRINK. YOUR MILKSHAKE.

one of my favorite scenes of all time

it was 1930 by the end of the movie

It was the 1920s in the end scenes.
And they did have bowling alleys, his butler would be behind the racks reset the pins and push the ball back.

nice pasta

He only became angry after his son went deaf and he realized his legacy would die with him as his only heir was retarded now. He was happy before that, this is obvious to anyone with a brain

He really really wanted a family, but didn't know how to love.

wasn't even his son. anyone with a brain could have realized he never cared for the kid

He didn't seem all that happy before, he was an alcoholic before the accident.

the ending of that scene encapsulates the whole movie, it's just perfect

the real question is how is PTA so good

This. His son was a doll he could use for sympathy and status in a world where being a successful bachelor businessman at his age would seem odd.

Movie teases the point that a talented/obsessed man cannot pass on his talents because it takes a large degree of not caring about others to succeed.

He cared quite a fucking lot when that explosion happened

that's a good way to put it.

SAY IT SAY IT LOUDER

he was always like that, the difference was he always got his way before that. He therefore becomes angry and bitter because no matter how much he is successful at what he does, he won't be able to control certain aspects of life. This is why Eli enrages him so much, because he's successful too at what he does, and his fervent theism beliefs somehow 'controls' and overpowers Plainview's man-made dominance. He doesn't believe in God, is perfectly convinced everything can be attained by a man's effort, yet God took his son from him, and Eli, who he despises as just another stupid idiot, is there to remind him that he can't control it all.

No he didn't. He spent 1 minute with his son then ran back to the Wells to protect his investment.
He even just sits there for hours watching it well after it was under control.

Such a terrible interpretation. He ONLY cared about his son.

The specifically show this moment after sends him away. Yes, Daniel cared more about his work at the time, but I think it's clear he feels bad about it.

Thus the significance of the final two scenes - the first when he cuts all ties with the son, and the second (which is far more important) when he finally gets to have the last laugh over Eli (his way of triumphing over the divine, so to speak, even though he's resigned by that point)

He redeemed himself after he shouted that he abandoned his boy, isn't that how religion works?

because he was surrounded by idiots

Probably depressed over his son losting his hearing

Pride.

He doesn't truly ever 'care' about his son. He made a promise to himself to take care of the kid to honor the worker who died, and he sees his illness as one of his own failures. He doesn't genuinely care for the kid's health, he just can't get over his own failure as a protector.

I think it's a big blow when Eli renounces his God. Plainview was probably someone who wished he believed in God, but could never get into it. Instead, he sought power through money.

But then Eli comes in, and he throws away his GOD for some money. If a man of God is willing to exchange Him for money, and Daniel already has all the fucking money he needs and is STILL unhappy, then what is there to live for? If not for God or for Money or for the Family he disowned.

After reading all about his method ways and how he never broke character it was weird seeing an outtake where PTA yells cut and he immediately starts to laugh with the kid

what was this movie about?

I'm not gonna watch a 3 hour movie so

that scene symbolizes the biggest humiliation for Plainview, having to kneel down to a superior power he despises, and allowing himself to be commanded by the very idiot who professes that power. It's complete submissive humiliation.
At first he is only pretending to 'be redeemed', though as he keeps telling him to shout he gradually embraces it more and more. When it ends though he says to himself 'here comes the pipeline', which is his way of convincing himself he is not a serf of a higher power, that he 'won' in a sense.

kys

Either this or he was a repressed faggot(which would admittedly explain why he liked playing pseudo-sexual dominance games with Eli so much)

Batman appears in the second act, you should definitely watch it

>being this poor

Apparently no one is really sure. Something about money, family, and religion in the oil industry. But most of PTA's films are vague enough to leave interpretations to go different ways without hammering in a message too clearly.

On page 80 of the script, Daniel and Henry (a drifter who may be his brother) are sitting in a mess hall drinking and talking and Daniel tells Henry that H.W., who he's been passing off as his son, is "not even my son." "What do you mean?" Henry asks. At this point, the script says that 'Daniel begins to break down, holds his crotch' and then says to Henry "He's not my son. My c**k doesn't even work. How am I gonna make a kid? Does yours work Henry?" So that kind of sheds a new light on things, doesn't it? His half-hearted attempts at finding male companions -- his adopted son and Henry, in addition to his manservant -- are his only option, really.

Why would he care about honouring the worker who died? He clearly doesn't give a single fuck about anyone else who works for him, if he really didn't care about his son he would have dropped him off at the nearest orphanage as soon as his biological father died

Because no matter how much he chewed up the scenery, it was still going to be a mediocre motion picture that appealed only to redditor pseudo intellectuals.

The one-two punch of losing his son and then some guy claiming to be his brother showing up and finding out he's an impostor would drive any man insane

i like this movie because there are no niggers in it

none at all

[citation needed]

>He clearly doesn't give a single fuck about anyone else who works for him
that's clearly not true, considering he adopted a worker's son, and he also becomes personally involved in the other worker's funeral later in the big well

Cause he had nothing of worth

there is literally a group of 3 in one scene

If this movie came out today it'd be panned by all these nu male critics for being a movie about an angry successful white male. Probably like 60% RT score

not when i watch

i just ignore them like in real life, then the scenes over

>"losing" his son
He had a stubborn unwillingness to see anyone as people, even his own son. The point wasn't to like him.

>hold

i want to kill PTA

>2edgy4me

ay yo hold up

did he defy your Save the Cat approach? my my

PTA writes funny. Lots of beats, sometimes doesn't capitalize dialogue.

GET OUT GHOOOOOST GEEEEEEEET OOOOOOOOUUUUUUT GHOST

The whole movie is trying to tell you that he is really good at pretending to care for people, no. He is, by no means, someone who actually cared. He makes himself BELIEVE he cares at one point but that was just a mental gymnastic that sociopathic people can and have done to trick themselves into feeling attached

Why does everyone ignore him so much in this movie?He was the best part about this movie.

PTA will never drop this film.

Watch it and get your own interpretation faggot. Thats what most movies are supposed to do

>jew actor
>good looking

No it wouldnt, stop projecting

not gonna watch it bro.

huh?

Then why do you care what happens?

because I do, bro

Im sorry you need films to hold your hand then like some literalist child

You got preordered tickets to Thor Ragnarok yet?

call me bro 1 more time and I shit down your throat

brooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Should be never top this movie.

Eli doesn't believe in God, though

He's a sniveling liar

This is more evident in the book when Eli basically steals his whole spiel from Plainview and is obviously only interested in money and women

>that's clearly not true, considering he adopted a worker's son, and he also becomes personally involved in the other worker's funeral later in the big well
He adopts the kid because having a child with you makes it easier to manipulate the stupid housewives whose homes you're trying to buy. It's the same reason he lies about being religious

He covers up the worker's death so as not to scare the townspeople. He barely gives a shit

>Eli doesn't believe in God, though
Plainview sees him as a believer though, that's what matters anwyay.

it's undeniable that he feels for his workers' deaths though

>it's undeniable that he feels for his workers' deaths though
It's totally deniable

He even hands Eli's dumb cross back to him in a mocking manner. The only thing the death means to him is that he has to shit down production for a day and go lie to the townspeople so they don't raise a furor

Why is it undeniable? He himself could be lying to himself

>He even hands Eli's dumb cross back to him in a mocking manner.
He sees Eli's intrusion with the workers as a corruption. He sees him gain ground and dragging them to his side and he sees that as a threat. He's not disrespecting the worker, in fact he cares for him.

kek

Whats funny about my question?

Why is it funny to say that Daniel is lying to himself, thinking he cares when he cant? Do you have an actual criticism?

dumbass

Go vote for Hillary, cuck

I dont vote nor care for politics shitlord

>film and tv board

I think that "method" stuff gets exaggerated a fair bit, for some reason it really sells tickets if people think the actor's a psycho

>I'm not gonna watch a 3 hour movie so

You don't even have the attention span to finish a sentence. Skip it, you won't like it.

He was a depressed sociopath that didn't care about money, he only cares about power.

>He sees him gain ground and dragging them to his side and he sees that as a threat.
A threat to what? He's getting his money, and that's all he cares about. That and being alone

He mostly seems bemused by the whole religion thing. He just thinks Eli is a sniveling turd and only REALLY hates him for the I'VE ABANDONED MY BOY part

Classic

"Beat" is pretty standard, it just means a pause.

A screenplay is not like a novel, it's not meant to stand alone. It's just one part of what ends up making a film. It's better to write in a very spare, bare-bones style like this - you COULD plan it all in more detail, but then it'll all end up changing a bit on set, between the director and the actors.

If you read PTA's earlier scripts, he goes into much more detail and pays more attention to "prose." I think as time goes on he's figured out, especially since he directs his own stuff, that it's actually better to keep it simple.

>Plainview sees him as a believer though, that's what matters anyway.

I don't think so, I think he smells a phony from the very beginning. That's why he hates Eli so much. He manipulates people with the pious "man of God" routine, but at the end of the day, he's driven by self-interest just like Daniel.

Preaching to the townspeople, building a fancy new church for himself with Daniel's money, that shit isn't about God. It's about Eli and his need for attention.

That's why it's so significant that Eli comes begging for money at the end of the movie, talking about starting a radio show, etc. He finally reveals and admits what he really is, and he's willing to renounce his "faith" to get what he wants

>A threat to what? He's getting his money, and that's all he cares about
It's like you missed the point of the movie. He doesn't care about money, he cares about control, which money brings. He always defies Eli because his way of controlling isn't about money, that's what drives him mad.

>He mostly seems bemused by the whole religion thing. He just thinks Eli is a sniveling turd and only REALLY hates him for the I'VE ABANDONED MY BOY part
He has been despising (and hating) Eli ever since he dared to ask more money for the ranch. He hates Eli because he plays a game he can't win at. Ie. Plainview can only control through money and conquest, but Eli doesn't care about that.

Yeah I agree with that completely. I don't think he outright sees Eli as a phony, but he definitely wants to think that he is. The final scene as you said is the unmasking of Eli's true self, which is a relief for Plainview because finally he knows Eli is just as hopeless as he is. Having a higher belief, a sense of purpose and a humble existence, and still be happy with it, that's what really enrages Plainview from the beginning.

DDL did all of those extreme things you hear about...

This is correct, imo

He hates himself, and people in general. His final act is pretty much the culmination of all that hatred.

>If you read PTA's earlier scripts, he goes into much more detail and pays more attention to "prose."
Those types of scripts are the worst

Like, who are you trying to impress?

Eh, maybe

I'm not sure how the control thing fits into him sending his son away, however. I guess he could t really control his son after the accident

Daniel Day Lewis played a character with the first name of Daniel, and Paul Dano played two characters, Eli and his brother Paul

>I'm not sure how the control thing fits into him sending his son away, however.
I see it as a defiance of fate. 'God is trying to control me and humiliate me by forcing me to deal with this problem I can't control, but I will have the last word, I will get rid of the problem one way or another'.
The God problem is crucial to understand the movie. Plainview sees in Eli everything he refuses to believe in, but gradually finds harder and harder to escape. Having his child go ill is the ultimate humbling lesson he just refuses to accept.

The type of prose should fit the tone of the movie, sometimes a clean short description isn't the best option.

>Like, who are you trying to impress?

The producers and actors, presumedly. People are more inclined to read your script if it's fun to read.

this /thread/

So I'm guessing he doesn't actually know Paul's doing well given that he lied about the amount he paid him.

The boy was a tool for him. An injured son can not be a crafty, successful salesman with such a handicap at the time. He'd pull sympathy from others, but it's a blemish on Daniel's reputation and overall image. It's a physical imperfection for a guy that is extremely confident and proud. It slowly drove him crazy.

he cares about his "son", that's why he gest even more depressed and fucked up after

YOU ARE MY COMPETITORRRRR

also mance rayder

People finally understand this

It's just too easy too interpret Daniel as an uncaring man. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I find Daniel much more of a tragic character, rather than simply an asshole. Of course that's what he tells his boy when he was angry and depressed, but I doubt that's what he thinks.

If he truly didnt care, why would he mask his face at the dinner table so that the boy couldnt see him "talk business" with the old dude during their time together?

>good looking

his chin hair is white

men who look and act like him ARE angry all the time. masculinity is synonymous look at all the classical handsome men with hair pin triggers. who end up as repeat offenders or worse. some societies are slowly getting rid of them

>Like, who are you trying to impress?

You're trying to paint more of a picture so people other than the screenwriter can get an idea of what it is meant to look like on screen.

>Hurr durr that's the director's job

Don't be fucking lazy.

I'VE ABANDONED MY BOY

privilege

seriously, this guy was whiny as hell. reminds me of bill murray from lost in translation. waaaaaah a bloo bloo bloo

Because he wants to appear like he cares to other people around him to validate the energy he puts into "raising" his son