Cred Forumsvin Peaks discussion thread

>Watch Twin Peaks Season One tonight for the first time
>All that belligerent sexual tension between Coop and Audrey
>Season One ends
>Look up to see if anything happens even though I have season 2 on standby
>Lara Flynn Boyle was dating Kyle Mclaughin at the time and did not want it to happen, so it didn't
>meanwhile she's being passed around by two characters.
>LAra Flynn Boyle rejects offer for Twin Peaks revival
>Kyle and Sherilyn back.

Are they going to finally hook up? Will Lynch finally stop toying with the idea and go head on into something, even if it doesn't last? Should it even happen? Kyle is looking good, but Fenn has aged like unpasteurized milk. Will Leo come back with a vengeance... creepy ass Brad Doriff looking motherfucker.

Also, what the fuck is wrong with Lara Flynn Boyle. Did she hate working for Lynch that much? I guess it should be expected from someone made of that much plastic.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kjeCNnbVYAQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

MacLachlan*

Sorry, I have about 1.5 liters of wine running through me atm.

Can we all agree Ben Horne is based?

why does he eat a sandwich from the middle?

I still can't believe people didn't like the civil war subplot

Rewatching right now, just reached the ep where James and his retarded bike adventures start, god help me

At least the girl is fit.

is this show any good?
i watched the first couple of episodes and it was a slow paced detective show about some highschooler missing or killed or something

he is the only patrician on television

I'm liking it so far. Honestly, it can feel a little dated at times, but I am genuinely enjoying it.

I don't think it's dated or if it is I don't think it's a negative aspect of the series

I thought I was going to hate him, but hoonestly he's right up there.

Same with Harry S Truman. At first glance in the piolt I figured he'd just be a stick in the mud for kooky Cooper to deal with, but so far what I've seen (up to Seasn 2 episode 1 at least) he's genuinely amusing.

Also Lynch should look into making an actual miniseries or web series or something of 'Invitation to Love'. What an absolute madman.

Sorry, I used the wrong words. I mean the outward appearances 90's fashion, tech etc gives it a dated feel. The show itself is quite ahead of its time.

>The show itself is quite ahead of its time.
Why? This is addressed to everyone, "ahead of its time" is always thrown around for this show, but no one ever actually says in what way when asked.

The direction is unlike most shows of the time, yes there were some well directed shows before then but this had a more "theatrical" feeling than other dramas of the time.

The music was awesome and stylized, it was dark and edgy and pushed the boundries of what could be shown, it was scary, funny, and all around had a sort of "comfy but creepy" vibe that I don't think any other series has ever come close to.

Also it was essential to the development in series with story arcs. No longer were shows just one offs but it was like one big movie.

Consider the state of television in 1990. Even the more "mature" television of the time skated around things like rape, sexual tension, onscreen violence and overarching plots (for the most part).

This show was doing, showing and saying things on network television that would only be reserved for film. It was one of the first shows that pushed the boundaries of what the television media could be. It made television cool again, or at least started to set the stage before the network heads freaked out.

THROUGH THE DARKNESS OF FUTURE PAST

THE MAGICIAN LONGS TO SEE

ONE CHANTS OUT BETWEEN TWO WORLDS

FIRE WALK WITH ME

Television medium would eventually be

(OP is still drunk)

The character is supposed to be a madman. That was one way of showing it.

There hadn't been a TV show that was particuarly dark before Twin Peaks? I can see a TV show not having a mix of dark, lightheartedness and comfy before Twin Peaks, maybe not even afterwards, but tv shows weren't dark before Twin Peaks?

Admittedly it came out like a year after Twin Peaks, but The X Files is a much darker show. Are you saying without Twin Peaks, The X Files couldn't have been dark?

If TV shows hadn't had story arcs before Twin Peaks, then I can see why it was ahead of its time.

Best character coming through

Also is there any doubt that Twin Peaks and Sopranos are Cred Forums's shows?

muh shelly

Got my Money?

I think Twin Peaks on average was MUCH darker than X-Files, save for "Home".

I'm not saying that X-Files couldn't have been dark without TP but I do think that it wouldn't have done as much as it did if TP didn't break the mold a bit

They're Cred Forums's as much as any other forum. You do know they have universal acclaim right? It's not like you have to be a TV connoisseur to like them?

What's so great about brie and butter?

Sounds salty as fuck to me, needs a bit of something to cut through the salt and fat.

Real best character coming through

Shut the fuck up faggot.

He allegedly has a lot of screentime in S3.

that's the point. it's just a cheese sandwich.

>I think Twin Peaks on average was MUCH darker than X-Files, save for "Home".
How? I mean there is a 'comedy' episode where a woman is repeatedly raped by the devil, and is forced to give birth to children that the devil then kills for having defects. I emphasise that it is meant to be a humorous episode.

I mean Twin Peaks did have quite a few dark moments, particularly early on, but it was nowhere near as frequent as The X Files.

Maybe you're right about TP breaking the mold, I wasn't around watching TV in the 90's so I was just curious.

This makes me glad

Twin Peaks set the stage for the willingness to embrace the growing edginess that would become 90's-00's TV. Remember, it was the turn of the decade and TV still hadn't lost that cheesy 80's charm yet, and the showrunners that were trying to push boundries, were still very much answering to their Network masters.

Then comes along Lynch, who was filmmaker first and foremost, who wasn't afraid to tell the corporates to fuck off ( especially after getting a lot of early guidance from men like Mel Brooks) and let him try his thing.

He loved his show, but when he was out promoting it, he always seemed to give off the vibe that he was just happy to get the show on air and was not interested in what the future held for it. He would keep doing the work if the bosses wanted it, and if they didn't, then whatever.

I don't if that makes sense, but it's just an opinion.

So does GORDON COLE

It's very lucky that Kyle Mclaughlin aged into looking like such a creepy goober faced weirdo.

Really sells the whole BOB possession.

tone my man

do you even into lynch?

they're married in the new season

michael cera is their son

But while the comedy episode was about a dark subject it wasn't as dark an excecution as TP.

Like for example when Bob kills Lauras cousin that was probably more graphic or disturbing than almost any XF episode

But Twin Peaks isn't like the movies Lynch makes. Do you think Eraserhead is similar in tone to Twin Peaks. Twin Peaks can be a bit dark, and has some humor, but Eraserhead is very dark throughout with a lot of black humour. They are not very similar.

I didn't say The X Files is darker than everything David Lynch has done, I said it's darker than Twin Peaks. I think the difference should be obvious.

>tfw no Stargate / Twin Peaks Crossover.

Hammond was his Alias name, Briggs was his official surname

I agree that murder scene was very grim, it was quite hokcing actually, I was surprised by it. But let's not pretend that it was anything other than a 'one-off'. That scene is so memorable and shocking because it stood out from the rest of the show, you didn't have something like that every other episode.

The X Files had plenty of scenes that were meant to shock, but it also had very consistent focus on dark subject matter. Take the arc about the rebel aliens tracking down and burning all the abductees alive. The burning scenes are shocking, but the darkness isn't limited to those scenes

I know you can say it's when Twin Peaks wasn't really itself, but after the Palmer murderer is revealled, other than an occasional scene with the guy that tortures Leo the show really focused on the lives of the townsfolk, which were often rather tame compared to what had been on the show before.

>That scene is so memorable and shocking because it stood out from the rest of the show, you didn't have something like that every other episode.

And that is why twin peaks is much more darker and "mature" than meme files. It treats violence and horror in a serious way

>Twin Peaks can be a bit dark, and has some humor, but Eraserhead is very dark throughout with a lot of black humour.
To clarify, I meant Twin Peaks had humour of all kind, whilst all of Eraserheads humour was black humour, not that it was non stop black humour.

I really hope this is bait. Bobby did literally nothing except for being a giant faggot to everyone. He should've just been killed by Leo.

>meme files
For once I'm glad someone is actually using a tripcode, at least I know it wasn't the guy I was speaking to that said something so retarded.

Having a shocking scene doesn't make the show much darker than another show. Why would a one-off scene mean that?

I figured Cera would be Andy and Lucy's son.

What the fuck was his problem?

WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU COMBINE SEXUAL MATURITY WITH SUPERHUMAN STRENGTH?

I'm not talking about his oeuvre either. The tone of Twin Peaks is far darker than that of the x files.

The idiosyncratic characters, cozy setting and peaceful intro all contribute to the overall dark tone. The show relaxes you into a vulnerable state so that the darkness is more menacing. It's similiar to how most horror movies start with the characters having lighthearted fun. You can't just immediately go BOO, here's the monster, heres the scary music, here's the villains, they're doing bad shit. That wouldn't be scary at all.

There is also a 'somethings not quite right' subtle sense of dread or unease that runs through the seemingly quaint atmosphere of the show. The characters even talk about it.

The X files is not even on the same fucking level

>finn has aged like unpasteurized milk

Nigger.

Andy is going to die

Bobby changed from being a dirtbag jock who used Shelly for Leo's vegetable money to genuinely caring for her and asking her to marry him by the end of the series and actually becoming a decent person what the hell were u watching?

When the fuck did any of that happen?

You're a Big Ed

Anyone gonna buy Mark Frost's new Twin Peaks book next month? It ties in with the new season

oops?

You only liked it because the south won.

WELCOME TO LARRY TOWN

Probably, I actually really liked "The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer" for what it was, and I actually liked it more than the movie.

still qt

The Dale Cooper book unfortunately sucked though. Felt like a bad fan fic

Do the first 2 tie in books give any insight?

Dating Laura fucked him up

No he didn't.

The panning shot of the cops with the cigars make it all worth it

Had an awful dream last night where Lynch died of an LSD overdose.

Even in this picture that you purposefully chose for it's bad lighting, she looks good.

Twin Peaks on the whole was a much darker show than X-Files. The intangibility of the Bob alone makes the show so much darker. The murder scenes were dark sure, and FWWM is probably the most explicitly cruel the series produced but it wasn't even the violence of it. That show had such incredible control over emotion.

Episodes 14 & 16 are better than every single episode the X-Files ever produced.

>best character
>not Phillip Jeffries
>with a subplot that will never be wrapped up

A premonition!

That's like asking the other dude, Chase Diamond or whoever's subplot to be wrapped up either.

WE ARE NOT GONNA TALK ABOUT JUDY AT ALL

WE LIVE
IN A DREAM

You felt a sense of unease throughout all the comfy scenes? The show was not made to be very dark, or to have an ever present sense of dread, it was made to just tell a lot of stories about the people of Twin Peaks, and the murder stuff was used to keep it all together.

If you thought every scene was dark and unsettling, you were clearly looking too much into it. If you mean the comfy scenes offer a contrast to the darkness and help to bring it out when the darkness hits, then yes of course, but how does that make it darker than The X Files, a show that is also campy but has a much more consistent focus on grim events and subject matter?

You seem to act like pointing out The X Files is darker than Twin Peaks is some sort of attack on Twin Peaks, and I can't understand why. Twin Peaks is known for being much more than a dark show.

Does Mulder come back for this season?

>The show was not made to be very dark, or to have an ever present sense of dread
not true that was one of the main intents or David and Mark

I'm not the same person so I don't feel like you're attacking TP btw.

I think it might have to do with the "realism" of TP compared to XF. Like yeah TP does have some unrealistic moments and has elements of low fantasy but XF was about aliens and ghouls and stuff and only rarely about "real" things, which makes the darkness less disturbing

The X-files borrowed almost everything from Twin Peaks. The forests of Washington state, the UFOs, even going so far as reprising David Duchovny as an agent.

yes

What i really want the revival to bring up is all the major briggs "top secret" time/deep space/dimension stuff.

Bobby has probably followed in his footsteps

groovy
is the new x-files worth watching?

How can anyone watch Fire Walk With Me and not consider the show was not meant to be dark.

You have the guy being raped nonstop since childhood and then has to commit horrendous killings all the while being non the wiser.

Only for the chemistry.

I don't care that she has aged. They need to end up together

Hyped as fuck, praying based Lynch will deliver

>I don't care that she has aged

Good for you because she sure has shit has fucking aged.

>Former “Twin Peaks” star Sherilyn Fenn’s recent bankruptcy filing has been put on hold for now efforts by her ex-landlords to collect a $45,000 debt from more than eight years ago.

kek

it gives you a boner

Will lil Lynch make his return?

*snap*

Fair enough. That explains why that feeling is pretty much thrown out the window when they gave up on the show.

Dealing with the supernatural doesn't make it less dark though. Maybe it makes you feel less connected, but it doesn't mean it's just less dark. I just can't get my head around this, not only did The X Files have darker content, it was also much more frequent. I presume people are just saying Twin Peaks is 'darker' because they don't know a better term to describe how they feel about it.

The cases were usually supernatural, but it doesn't mean there was no humanity/reality to it. It's definitely not a grounded kind of show, compared to Twin Peaks anyway.

>90s fashion

I'll give you technology but everyone in town is dressed like it's the 50s or early 60s, not the 90s or even 80s.

>Will lil Lynch make his return?

Based Lynch invented the mini-me

I was just talking about darkness. I agree it's pretty clear Twin Peaks was a big influence for The X Files.

I didn't say it wasn't meant to be dark, it just didn't focus on being dark. There was much more to it, with much ore lightheartedness and comfiness. Especially when Lynch and Frost had less of a hand in the show.

Fire Walk With Me is not representative of what the TV series was like.

It has one of the best episodes of the series, and then the rest range from decent to terrible. It's only 6 episodes though, so it's not like it's a big commitment.

He's not confirmed but who knows? Sometimes things will happen just like this.

FEBRUARY....

...1989?

>Bowie won't be talking with a monkey about Judy in season 3

Why live?

It's a shame that Ontkean won't reprise his role as Sheriff Truman, they were best team

always bugged me how disgusting the doughnuts in twin peaks looked

Why won't he?

Also Coop looks really young there.

what a dickhead. retired my ass he was just in a movie

I think Lynch didn't want him back or had no role for him to play. Apparently Ontkean was looking forward to it, even finding his old hat and jacket.

Are there two Coopers? The BOB doppelgänger and normal Coop.

>is the new X-Files worth watching

only watch the 3rd episode if you're a long time fan skip the rest

I always got a kick out of how they were set up on a table. Like there was some ceremony to it. And there was always a shit ton of donuts.

Magical Realism wasn't a thing back then. Now every show has Zombie girl detectives and vampire time traveling assassins.

pleb leave

fucked up how they just ended it abruptly like that, i know it was like bait for a continuation but they've said nothing since afaik and that's just ignorant

kek

norma best girl
pete did nothing wrong

>Also Coop looks really young there.

Yeah, it's like he aged a lot after the first season, must be Flynn Boyle sucking his lifeforce.

Or maybe it was all the coffee and donuts...

I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT ANYMORE I NEED NEW TWIN PEAKS REEEEEEEEEEEE

HOW'S ANNIE? HOW'S ANNIE?

Damn fine.

>tfw parents bought those same ultra comfy coffee mugs years ago
>watch Twin Peaks for the first time last fall
>want one of those mugs bad
>looking for them online
>not know what they're officially called so i google "twin peaks coffee mugs"
>didn't work out well
>wake up one morning and make coffee before watching twin peaks
>open cupboard with mugs
>see those exact mugs on the top shelf way in the back

I don't even think they'd ever been used. Felt great finding those by accident.

>this scene
>youtube.com/watch?v=kjeCNnbVYAQ
every time m8's

>That chiseled jawline...

You are wrong bud.

Twin Peaks S1-S2, did you actually watch it?

I felt an almost constant sense of unease during the show because of the too-loud music. The uncomfortable volume really suited the show by making the viewer uneasy

I bet her ass tastes like cherry pie

Did anybody else cop?

Just fast forward he's not in season 3, nothing he does matters

>Fenn has aged like unpasteurized milk.

nigga u r gay

But the devil was played by Bruce Campbell, so it was all wacky and shit

FWWM > Pilot > final episode > first half of season 2 > season 1 > second half of season 2 besides the end

The whole thing is great and i'm so hype for more

Currently on episode 16 of season 2. After trudging through the abysmal shitty sideplots of season 2, I have finally reached the eve of ABSOLUTE K I N O. I will give my honest impressions of a person who is nearing the end.

Ben Horne a dumb character that turned into one of the most best and memorable characters in the series.

>You will never defeat the Unionists with General Horne leading the confederate army

I was under the impression that James and Donna were going to be the main characters of the show, I even liked them in season 1. But season 2 they turned into dumb melodramatic retards who did nothing right. The motorcycle adventure was the WORST subplot of Twin peaks, EVEN WORSE than fucking nadine going to highschool.

Another character who I grew to like. He was an annoying faggot, but I really liked him in season 2 even though he is still an asshole.

PATRICIAN CHARACTER. I loved how he evolved as a character and I'm excited to see more of him.

>David Bowie in twin peaks
I am excited to see this too.

my eternal waifu

this gives me hope

>straight up lying on the internet
What's the point?

>Lara Flynn Boyle was dating Kyle Mclaughin at the time and did not want it to happen, so it didn't
>meanwhile she's being passed around by two characters.

Was Kyle a cuck?