Did Blanche imagine the rape?

Why would Stanley rape Blanche? I haven't seen the play so maybe it's more detailed there but there doesn't seem to be motivation to do it. I could understand him hitting her but full on rape? It feels like it was a deliberate attempt to demonize his character rather than a natural action of his character.

He's even shown to be remorseful almost immediately after he hits Stella in that famous scene, and for the rest of the movie he's by and large in control of his emotions. I mean, he's certainly not calm but he seems to realize physical violence isn't the answer after that. Is it actually possible that Blanche imagined the entire rape? I mean, she's clearly delusional even before it allegedly happens, evidenced by the rose seller. But again, I haven't seen the play, so is it concretely said that it actually happened?

bane?

Perhaps it was written intentionally vague so that these sorts of questions could be asked about it.

>Why would Stanley rape Blanche?
Around Pollacks, never relax

In the play it's heavily implied that she's raped, it was basically definite. He says "we've had this playdate from the beginning", or something to similar effect, implying Stanley has wanted to have his way with Blanche since they first met. As to why he did it, he's meant to be a horrible character, as is Blanche. Blanche is overtly flirtatious with her sister's husband, she's vain and she is self-obsessed. Stanley is abusive, short-tempered and sex-obsessed.

I don't think she imagined the rape, it is made quite clear in the play, but she certainly imagined some sort of amicable connection between them that wasn't there, as she does with everyone.

If she imagined the rape, wouldn't it be possible, or probable, that she imagined that line too? And it's certainly not out of her character to falsely accuse him of rape. She lies all the time and even threatened Mitch with it ("I'll start screaming!") It seems she's already snapped before Stanley even enters the scene when she's in her tiara and gown talking to herself.

Plus, Stanley's not stupid. Even though he's brutish, he's been wise to her from day one and very concerned with his image, taking great offense at Blanche's insinuations that he's a caveman, and raping her would only prove her right. I don't think Stanley would do that.

Last time I saw my ex, we watched this movie. This thread makes me sad.

Anyway, I think the rape is cleary imagined, Blanche is delusional throughout the film.

I went to a stage version Streetcar with my ex for our first real date. Simpler times; I feel ya.

>not wanting to get raped by Marlon Brando

You don't understand human nature.

Tennessee Williams is trying to show it to you, and all you can do is say "well that's not human nature!"

Definitely raped

It is very possible for some who loves you to still rape you, and for someone who is otherwise composed and in control to still commit rape. It goes by various names. Marital rape for now. And certainly someone you've been dating long-term can rape you. This is quite common.

I've never been so mad at someone that I raped them, and neither has the large majority of humanity

*for one

He definitely does rape her, no question about it

I don't think you can speak for humanity. Just look at statistics. It's very common. More often than not it doesn't happen, and people gain control of themselves. But that doesn't mean the impulse is not there, and that it doesn't become triggered more frequently than it is acted upon. The point is that, it is there. We should just be grateful that a wonderful thing called self-control is also exists. But it always involves internal "wrestling". That's the point.

This

Yes, and? The same is true of murder. I'm sure you watch plenty of films with murder in and don't go all Cred Forums about it.

If humans by and large DON'T do [thing], how can you say it's human nature to do [thing]?

And self-control, the ability humans have to process these urges and decide against them, an ability that is absent in lower creatures, further proves that it's human nature isn't as ugly as you claim Williams claims it to be

In the play it's heavily implied he does. Something about him taking her to the bed.

Stella was in hospital having baby so He raped her oppurtunistically since he was drunk and on a 'i just had a son' high

The rape happened. Stanley is crude, brutish, and obsessed with sex. Blanche is flirtatious, haughty, and in denial about who who she is. The entire play/movie, she talks down to Stanley, insults him, and constantly talks about how much better she is. Then Stanley finds out she's homeless and was kicked out of her town after driving her gay husband to suicide by cheating on him and ruining his reputation.

He's just had a child and was drunk of his ass. As part of his celebration, he made a pass at her, and she refused. Being insulted by her again after learning about her past pissed him off and basically thought, "Fuck her if she's thinks she's better than me," and he raped her to get back at her for that.