Thoughts on this modern classic?

Thoughts on this modern classic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vC1e0eAWd7c
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It was kind of unrealistic that there were still people who cared about the news in TV.

It wasn't that good, come on.

The movie would have been a thousand times better if he was the one murdering all those people. Noy just being an immoral autist.

edgy teenage shit

14 year old edgelord detected

i agree

I thought the first 2/3rds of the movie was really good; i liked the characterization, and the buildup, but then the climax was a seemingly out of place hollywood 'wow gunfight! car chase!' which ruined the atmosphere for me.

This generation's Drive

Rich man's Drive

It was good for the first half.

I thought it was going to be like Drive, where Cred Forums overhypes it for whatever retarded reason and then it turns out trash, but it was ok.
Utterly retarded how he drives some bright red dodge challenger and nobody notices him though.

5/10 movie.

It's a modern classic

heard an interview with real nightcrawlers when it came out and apparently its hot shit in Mexico and among hispanics in the US. the local news networks in Mexico will air such footage uncensored without even a second thought, unlike the US ones who would probably get royally screwed if they did unless they heavily edited it

and with all the cartel murders and other shit that goes on in the border areas theres a never ending supply of such material

Great, Gyllenhaal really sold the neurosis of the character well, I even ended up liking his mexican sidekick a lot more than I thought I would, especially during the last chase sequence
My only real complaint would be that the cop storyline was kind of thin, to the point that I wondered why it was even there or why the cops were so aggressive to this guy they'd only ever met once who was completely cooperative

The only hyped movie of 2014 that was worth it, along with Inherent Vice. don't @ me

>you will never be the nightcrawler

The climax was there to show the damage he was causing as a result of his actions, it made sense and fit fine

I think that the news company should have been depicted more as the creepy asshole monsters instead of Lou. Jake's capable of giving good heartfelt performances and it would have been neat to see him start out as a dude that was hesitant to fuck with crime scenes/shoot these almost-to-absolutely illegal stuff instead of just being a robot who from the start was a monster.

That being said I found it to be a good movie, great tension throughout, like watching a horror movie you can't take your eyes off of.

Watch Man Bites Dog for a better portrayal of a sociopath

It was pretty average

Essential media-kino alongside Batman v Superman

THIS MOVIE IS NOT THE NEW DRIVE

THE DRIVER HAD A GOOD HEART
LOU HAS A SELFISH HEART

Taxi Driver meets Manhunter.
Great movie, but I'm not sure if it'll be remembered.

youtube.com/watch?v=vC1e0eAWd7c

it glorifies autism
that's why Cred Forums loves it

Why isn't he blue? And he only teleported like two times? Tops?

Shit adaption.

Drive/Nightcrawler crossover when?

Would they work together or compete?

Who would win in a 1v1?

A lot of people do. Much bigger audience on TV than on the internet actually.

Lou Bloom inspires me a lot from a career perspective.

Nightcrawler with prep time

awful.

>Driver drives
>sees what appears to be an accident scene that just happened, a mom trying to rescue her son from the burning car
>he rushes to help
>he and the mom get the kid out of the car safely
>turns around
>sees Lou a few meters away, recording everything that just happened
>Lou goes back to his Charger, Driver is disgusted by this human bean, memorizes the plate
>they will meet again another night

I liked the opening scenes with him and the overall satire as a concept, but as a film I thought it was way too obvious and often over the top. It's like how Jack in The Shining is so obviously insane that any effort made to expand on how insane he is seems redundant. It needed more of a slow-burn Travis Bickle type character

>why the cops were so aggressive to this guy they'd only ever met once who was completely cooperative
LAPD

Unfortunately, I think that was the point.

Taxi Driver was about a man who finally accepts he has no place in society; the logical conclusion of disenfranchisement. Nightcrawler was about someone who finally finds his place in society.

Gyllenhall's character eventually learns how to assimilate into a selfish society, obsessed with novelty and financial gain; as a perpetrator of remorseless exploitation, he is even able to gain a certain level of status and prestige.

I wasn't a fan of the progression straight to the Challenger; if the film had allowed for a longer running time, I would have liked seeing an intermediate car choice. I think having him choose something less conspicuous, then eventually giving into his ego and desires, would have made a stronger point. Perhaps the conclusion was a bit too convenient as well.

Taxi Driver was ultimately the more optimistic of the two.

On the whole, I have a mixed opinion on Gyllenhall, but that dinner scene was perfect. I've seen some shit, but the tension of that scene forced me to stop the movie for a while.

I think the point is to say this is sadly what it takes to succeed today, but Bloom is clearly not someone you want to be. It's a sort of Catch-22: never succeed and be a normal human being, or succeed and be a horrible person

>Utterly retarded how he drives some bright red dodge challenger and nobody notices him though.
What's there to notice? Are cameramen not allowed to drive that type of car?

Thanks Cinefix!

>no X-men or Nightcrawler

WTF?

>Taxi Driver was ultimately the more optimistic of the two.
>both the writer and the director say that by the end of the movie, Travis is slipping back into his cycle of madness, and will kill again, and the only reason people cheer for him was because the people he killed were hoods, when he was willing to murder a politician for a perceived threat to his crush

If you live in a major city, the local news is a bigger deal than in Flyover, IN.

Ayn Rand was right yet again.
Psychopaths make Capitalism better.

>James Caan
>pulled in to do one last heist
>calls in Drive and Nightcrawler
>they pull off the heist of the century
>mob/dirty cops/the news try to fuck them over
>they get even
>tangerine dream's remix of human beans starts playing as they drive off into the sunset
>fin

>Ayn Rand was right yet again.
If that stupid cunt said 2 and 2 is 4, it wouldn't be right.

>my hate makes me delusional
Hahahahahaha

Never try to teach a pig to dance.

Optimistic about society. Travis clearly is not a normal person and doesn't exhibit normal behavior. Nightcrawler's thesis is that Bloom does everything expected of him to succeed, i.e be a sociopath

no..

>Le Samourai
>Taxi Driver
>Drive
>Only God Forgives
>Nightcrawler

Are these the only films you need to watch if you're not a cuck?

Stay mad. The movie just proves that she was right.

me too, I also keep being inspired by Leto's personal re-interpretation of the Jocker's character in the Dark knight movie. You should watch it. In a way I feel like I am just like him and this scare me a little

yes

>The movie just proves that she was right.
>the movie proves
Nigger you can cite works of fiction to prove that other works of fiction are right, unless its an argument about superman vs goku. Which, considering you're a self proclaimed objectivist, is probably exactly the kind of thread you thrive in.

no, they are certified cuck-friendly

THIS

>popular among the idiots on Cred Forums and reddit
>actually complete shit

>le

back to rebbit

>>Drive
>>Only God Forgives
>>Nightcrawler
remove these and you would be getting there

I know I can, and I did.

Drive is a masterpiece.

>All these faggot contrarians in these thread

I agree. Shittiest X-Men spin-off yet. It's like it's not even set in the same universe.

I assumed that's where the movie was going desu

That would completely change the whole tone of the movie, it was commentary on societies voyeurism and obsession with watching violence, his character embodied that cold distance perfectly

Also, this was a comfy ass depiction of LA, I love this movie

Distance was exactly the opposite of what his character had.

How is letting your partner die and filming it not cold distance. Im not talking about physical proximity here

Checked

Jake's creepy, wide-eyed, emotionless human camera bit really made this film for me.

The look in the drivers eyes showed he yearned for love but was a complete fucking psycho at heart

It is better than Drive?

no