What do you think about the budding "let's just cast normal people" trend that smaller productions have been toying...

What do you think about the budding "let's just cast normal people" trend that smaller productions have been toying with lately? One of the many things people can't seem to shut up about with regard to Stranger Things is how well cast it was. The kids in particular seem to get a lot of praise for feeling like "normal kids". Honestly their acting was fine, not great, but fine. What I think people are trying to say is that they're "normal looking". The same goes for the entire cast. Even the people that are supposed to be conventionally pretty (Nancy and Steve) ain't Hollywood pretty. Better looking than their peers maybe, but we're not talking Ryan Reynolds Angelina types. They look like people you could have gone to school with. It flies in the face of conventionally Hollywood wisdom which says that people will only watch supermodels.

Personally I dig this aesthetic. Made it feel more authentic. Do you think this will infiltrate the upper echelons of show business, or will this continue to be a low budget staple?

>can only afford a couple Hollywood actors for your show
>open casting to literally whos
>get praised like your budgeting decision was some kind of aesthetic choice
win/win

Putting ugly girls and beta males in "strong" roles in movies and Cred Forums is part of the anti-white agenda 2bqh.

actually of the whole cast, winona was their only big name draw, and I personally think they chose all three of the main teens (nancy and her love triangle boys) more or less specifically for their looks. Natalia is easily top tier cute and I'm honestly surprised she wasnt in more before ST. Look at older pics/vids of her and she's a 11/10 even on the disney scale.
Pic is my favorite but its just funny, not her qtest.

>Do you think this will infiltrate the upper echelons of show business

It already has. See Star Wars: TFA. The trend of casting relative unknowns that aren't conventionally Hollywood is a fact. I'd say it's a really good thing; makes the stuff feel more grounded. Oscar Isaac was, original cast aside, the only big name cast. Adam Driver might have had some shit going on before it, but he's not exactly Hollywood.

That said I agree with your assessment on Stranger Things. Good casting, good acting. The kids weren't AMAZING, but they were way better than much of the terrible 80s - 90s kid actors who ended up as god knows what.

dammit forgot pic

Oscar Isaac is only a "big name" to the reddit "such a movie buff" demographic.

mfw they cast Ben Schwartz's slightly less jewish brother as the redeemable jock guy.

That said, he was good tho. The "jocks" at my high school didn't look like chiseled gods.

No it wont. People watch shows for escapism. Realism is always a passing fad.

By the way, Steve and Nancy can only be considered good looking by small town standards. In a big city high school they're just above average, if that, considering there is something distinctly off about both about their looks. Steve got a weird Tarantino forehead and Nancy has a square flat face with a manly nose. The only good looking person on the show is Winona Ryder.

Finn is a conventionally pretty frog

Oscar Isaac had done work for both Nicholas Winding Refn as a supporting actor and as a leading man for one of the Coen brothers' best films so far before TFA.

Sure, big name on reddit only.

Matthew Modine was a big name.
David Harbor may not be A-list but he's not a nobody.

This is true also, but as an actor that sits around at the equity building for EPAs five days a week, there are plenty of ridiculously good looking actors that nobody's ever heard of. But you do bring up a good point with the budget.

Nicholas Winding Refn is only a "big name" to reddit film buffs. The Coen's are "acclaimed" not also not big names outside of the demographic of cinephiles. Also Inside Llewyn Davis is one of their most niche movies.

For me "big name" means somebody recongizable by people who don't care all that much about movies. The type of person who goes to see a Star Wars/capeshit movie but has no idea who Joel and Ethan Coen are. The "wide" audience. Even after Star Wars I don't think that Oscar Issac is a household name so he certainly wasn't before. He is put on a pedestal by "film buffs", normies don't care.

Modine is famous among people who were actually alive in the 80s. Not obscure by any stretch, but he's also no Winona Ryder who is pretty much still a recognizable name even though she's don pretty much nothing for twenty years. I'd wager that most millennials wouldn't know him, even with DKR.

Get a load of this hothead.

All their choices were intentional. It wasn't so much of a budget thing since they have enough money to do a period piece, which isn't cheap. Obviously since large portion of the cast are kids they're going to be literally whos because there are only so many child stars to go around. Even then they were carefully picked for specific aesthetics reminiscent of older Spielberg hits. That and Johnathan looks like an older John Conner from T2. I guarantee you they tried to match Edward Furlong when casting for that role

This is how it used to be for kids shows.

Even the hot ones were normal looking

Then in the mid-2000s they started putting supermodel kids in every show.

Compare Disney sitcoms from then vs now. Today's Disney show kids are so fucking sexy

Neo-neorealism

nice

The casting of this series is pretty based. The only issue I've is that Mike and Nancy look nothing alike for siblings.

i thought i was the only one who realised this

models and nepotism kids

>What do you think about the budding "let's just cast normal people" trend that smaller productions have been toying with lately?
Oh, you mean something EVERY GOOD DIRECTOR HAS BEEN DOING SINCE FILM EXISTS? If you would've watched anything other than Hollywood bullshit you would've known

the behavior of the character were unauthentic, everyone is overreacting and do stupid choices. overall it still has a good idea as a show

Nobody cares about your shitty no name Romanian auteurs, you pretentious europhile faggot

Good shit
I'm sick of seeing the same people in every fucking movie

>Burgeristanis actually think America has good directors
>Burgeristanis actually think America has good movies
You're probably just baiting anyways

As soon any non-US director makes it in their country, the first thing they do is run to Hollywood to make a movie.

Everyone else stays behind talking about sour grapes and true art

>As soon any non-US director makes it in their country, the first thing they do is run to Hollywood to make a movie.

I thought the vast majority of people being greedy degenerates was a widely known fact. Curious how they mysteriously turn to shit after they set up shop in Hollywood though.

well the duffers up a shitload of time into the casting process, and went through hundreds of kids or more and even did skype calls with the ones they were interested in before hiring

Also all the kids have previous work and aren't brand new
Caleb and gaten are Broadway veterans with les miserables and lion king
Millie was in a couple shit shows like intruders
Finn has been in several shows like supernatural, the 100 as well as music videos
They got experience as well as talent

It used to be a Nickelodeon vs Disney Channel thing, and it was largely because Nickelodeon casted in smaller markets. When the productions were out of Orlando and Canada. they just used funny kids that they were able to find. Neither of those markets had the creepy "we're grooming these kids to be celebrities" culture that has always been prevalent in LA. When Nick closed down the Orlando studio and moved shop to LA, you saw that sort of thing fade. That was right around the age of Drake & Josh/ iCarly, Victorious, etc. Everything started to get that slick, multi-camera Disney Channel Original series look, largely because they were made by the same people.

>degenerates
back to Cred Forumsestine you go, edgelord

No one in the Wheeler family looks even marginally related.