Now that the dust has settled can we all agree that Bryce had the best card?

Now that the dust has settled can we all agree that Bryce had the best card?

Other urls found in this thread:

howdesign.com/how-design-blog/best-business-cards/
boredpanda.com/creative-business-card-designs/
drive.google.com/file/d/0B9me9LnddN9jRW9VRW9XWURma1U/view
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The all caps last names but title case first name pisses me off

This. Bryce and Allen feel like they minimized that difference, so they win by default.

>Pierce &Pierce

How embarrassing

as a former graphic designer from this era, these were all average crap that the prop department shat out even if they matched the descriptions in the book.

> Palatino
> Bodoni
> Helvetica
> Copperplate

This is what a print shop does for $5/1000 cards. Raised lettering is literally nothing more than sprinkling some clear polymer powder on the ink before it dries and then heating it, it added minimal expense to the cards. Laid finish, linen finish, paper stock color, also minimal difference.

Also, whoever made these for the movie used the same exact template for all 4 and just changed the fonts, probably in Microsoft Word given how completely pleb the smallcap proportions are. Pro printers at the time would have used special smallcap variants of those fonts where the weight of the smallcaps match the majuscules.

The author knew jack shit about this business or what people actually do in it and the prop department were lazy fucks, what a surprise.

Wait, why/how are there 4 VPs?

Oh, and for the record, if you work for a company this large you don't get to order your own cards, you're issued them and you like what it looks like or fucking else. You know who gets to design and order their own business cards? REALTORS.

Fuckin nerd lmao

I'm more of a Paul allen's card kind of boy

You put more thought into your murders. Own it.

Paul Allen's card is objectively the best.

This. Allens card is the patricians choice

I don't know why you guys like Paul Allen's card. That font is ugly.

How much would I have to shell out for balls-to-the-wall awesome business cards?

>balls-to-the-wall awesome business cards?
Problem here is that this field didn't really value individualism. I'm not critiquing the layouts, they're functional, but the typography is shit and the author is deluded thinking paper stock meant anything when every corner copy shop carries the same fucking paper stock from the same 4 papermills.

Reading it in the book and watching it in the movie is like Cred Forums reacting to movies showing video games where the controllers are wrong for the systems and the sound effects are generic. The difference here is that the author went to great pains to talk about these things like these four fucktards are playing high stakes poker.

My company names every salesman a vice president as that's the only way for a salesperson to get into the door

But then again, if you can't see satire in AP you're probably too young to remember the other books it's making fun of throughout (Bright Lights Big City, Less than Zero, Slaves of New York etc., all of whose characters cameo in the book).

The question isn't "was all of this in the unnamed protagonist's mind," it's "should I take seriously a book which stops in the middle to lecture me on the artistic importance of the 1980s' biggest elevator musician ever"

>missing the point this fucking bad

OP, you taught me something today. I value that almost as much as I value your dubs.

For what purpose would one ever need 4 vice presidents

Carruthers card is funny as fuck

They're all in charge of different things, the title's meaningless.

Remember, the Murders & Executions business is all about person-to-person relationships. You want the client to feel important, so you send someone with an important sounding title, so you can axe them to pay your enormous fee.

So, in your professional opinion..
What is an example of an above average business card? Just to have an idea. Pics would be appreciated, but a description is just as nice.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Bateman
>numbers are fucked
>top part is too far low from the top of the card, as a result making his name not look perfectly centered
>bottom part is too low
>nice font
>no texture - boring af
>decent name length in relation to position

Van Patten
>bold is too bold
>perfect numbers - font has enough style so it's not over the top like Bateman and not boring like Bryce
>perfect top part spacing from the top of the card
>bottom part might just be a half millimeter to a full millimeter too high from the bottom of the card
>name and position is perfect centered
>good texture
>name is the perfect length to stand out from his position

Bryce
>solid font but bordering on the boring (specifically the numbers)
>top part is too low and as a result making his name not look perfectly centered
>bottom part is perfect position
>alright texture

Allen
>no texture
>font is godawful
>top is a half millimeter too low
>name is about the same width as position - therefore doesn't stand out

We literally get the same question every time we have this thread.

The real answer is in some systems usually there will be one vice president.

but in corporate it's basically a glorified title that the company will hand out to long term employees that they want to show they value but don't want to actually give them a promotion.
for example many banks and firms have dozens of VP's

I'd also like to add that Van Patten's texture pattern is vertical while Bryce's is horizontal. Patten's feels aggressive, high energy, feels alpha, feels high test. Bryce is low energy AND low test.

what are your thoughts on Luis Carruthers card?

I can't believe user prefers Van Patten's card to Bateman's.

It depends entirely on your line of work and how creative you're supposed to be in it.

Your local B&N most likely has an annual book (hardcover) of the best designs in this field (if the one here in fucking Flagstaff AZ does, yours does too).

The 90s were when 4 color printing finally got cheap enough to compete with offset (1 color like these business cards). And by 4 color I mean CMYK like any print media uses to reproduce photos.

If you really want to stand out you use solid PANTONEĀ® colors -sparingly and tastefully- and as simple a serif/sans serif typeface as you can.

howdesign.com/how-design-blog/best-business-cards/

These are memorable but wholly unsuitable for finance/law/etc.
boredpanda.com/creative-business-card-designs/

>>numbers are fucked
The term is "oldstyle" which was practically the norm for serif numeric typography until, unsurprisingly, spreadsheets came into existence and digital font foundries realized people would get headaches seeing tabulations where half the characters dropped below the baseline and half didn't.

Now, oldstyle is a font variant you have to buy separately from a font foundry much like those smallcap fonts I mentioned earlier.

We made some that were over $1k USD each. Gold inlays, industrial diamond dust in polymer matrix, etc. Crazy shit for retard rappers though.

Paul Allen's is objectively the best.

>Van Patten's texture pattern is vertical while Bryce's is horizontal

Again, the prop department being lazy because they're likely using the same paper stock twice. Printers would not lay that pattern horizontally when putting the sheets in the press, mainly because the sheets aren't square and they're designed to be laid such that the pattern would appear vertically.

Also, where's that watermark Patrick was talking about? nofuckingwhere because card stock is too thick for watermarks.

Hands down Van Patten's card is best.

I think user's asking about design, not ingredients.

One job I had was for foresters where they needed a durable cover for a field manual but under no circumstances could it be any material not made from trees. That was expensive.

>phone and company name a half millimeter or a full one too far low
>not a fan of the gold and what looks like green font
>last name first is terrible, HOWEVER it's a great last name, unique and feels powerful compared to the limp wristed name "luis" -- so I suppose that's a half point
>also, the 'S' in his last name looks like a & -- I don't like that
>bottom text is a half millimeter too close to the bottom of the card, the font is also a little small for me.
>can't tell if there's a texture

I think the green is the lighting since there's a hint of that on his hand on the right.

>majuscules

He's my favourite of all the Greek Gods.

Bryce's is indeed the best.

Bryce > Allen > Patton > Bateman

Bateman was a pleb, no wonder he killed all those people.

> no registration whatsoever between gold and black (see P&P above M&A)
> paper cut offcenter badly

I want to find the art director for this movie and play Huey Lewis for them.

DAT GET

>live in New York
>where it gets cold as shit and people have to wear gloves through a good portion of the year
>get the dumb idea to use cards with slick textures that are fucking impossible to grab onto properly with gloves

When will people learn not to use these retarded cards in cold places? Jesus.
Even in Norway I saw people using stupid slick cards that no one can grab onto with gloves.

The whole point of the movie was that everything was for show and they literally didn't know shit about anything.

Allen's is the only one that doesn't immediately scream "my secretary made these" and the rest are shit. There's no requirement (aesthetic or otherwise) to smallcapping your given name and allcapping your surname and it's a hell of a coincidence that 4 guys with the initiative to get their cards made all made the same decision (no, it was not the way everyone did it at the time) just like they all did the bottom line identically with no space variations between categories.

If you want to jerk it to an underpaid propmaster's choices be my guest but don't pretend this is anything else.

From a modern standpoint any of these would get someone assuming you did it online.

you are correct but the numbnuts ITT about to scream "I was just pretending to be retarded" are the ones missing that point, not me

I appreciate that you're trying to get people to care about your craft, I really do. But it's not happening. To the layman it's all just interesting trivia at best.

This is copypasta at dorsia

10/10 I bet trump eats this

Why are they ALL the vice president for the same department in the same company?

>tfw your name is Bryce
>tfw Bryce had best card

drive.google.com/file/d/0B9me9LnddN9jRW9VRW9XWURma1U/view

Did he really kill all those people?

Because it's just an empty title used to impress people with.

>his name is Bryce

Thanks pal I enjoy sharing a laugh with my buds

>they're all the same
it's almost like that's the fucking point of the scene

Hey man I was trying to shitpost. Don't just ruin my fun by being a nice guy.

>the prop department were lazy fucks

Well the cards do read Mergers and AQUISITIONS so you're probably right here.

or they're retarded

or the movie was directed by a woman

Fellow Bryce reporting in

Check out this bad boy

>industrial diamond dust
>retard rappers
Probably didn't even need to clarify who was buying, literally only nignogs would be this tasteless.

Van Patten's is the only one with the proper uniform spacing to the border. The rest trigger my OCD.

see

Honestly Bryce is the best one

the misspelling of aquisitions is clearly not intentional.

did paul allen deserve to die?

It clearly is.

How so?

I don't know. However, I think it is pretty clear who has the worst card. Bateman's card looks like a screen-cap of a title card from a very low quality DVD of a film that has been in the public domain for quite sometime.

see
Do you think them all being Vice President is a mistake too?
None of them do any work, everything is for show, they got their through nepotism, they have no idea what they're doing and they're too shallow to take notice of anything around them.
Only people knowledgeable in acquisitions would know how it's correctly spelled. None of them are.

In that case Paul Allen was murdered for nothing.
And I'm OK with that.

all being vice president is 100% the joke

it's satirizing the yuppie culture of chasing meaningless work titles for """prestige""" even if literally all of your peers have it too

Yes, so is the misspelling.
If one person misspells it they all do.
Knowing the most basic shit about their job is completely inconsequential to them, it's all about fitting in.

got an eight thirty rez at Dorsia
"""great""" sea urchin ceviche

Wait there are seriously people who didn't get the satire of yuppies in this movie? They thought this was a serious portrayal of their lifestyle?

>Bateman
Really shitty coloring. Nubile "sunken" lettering. Truly a 2/10.
>Van Patten
Bordering on a lime coloration. Patterning makes it look like cheap college throw carpet. 1/10
>Bryce
Cleanest white, but it's too white showing no class of the individual. Lettering looks like the shit font every middle schooler used for their reports. Patterning looks like stucco. 4/10
>Allen
Best coloring creating a soft treat for the eyes. Lettering with a splash of color and elegance. No stupid patterning, just sleek appareance. Only one to 2 line the bottom text creating a less plebian overall look. 8/10 would order a carton of.

misspelling "aquisitions" just makes them look retarded, not stupid, and thats not something that either the book or the movie try to dive into (their intellect)

that's like watching Dr Strangelove and not getting the satire of cold war gov't

doesn't matter which one has the best card if you won't know which one will answer the phone

one of the best parts in the book that's not in the movie is when patrick goes to a U2 concert with his friends

Ehhh
I preferred the part he fucks the two hookers with the coat hanger

i do like how the notebook his secretary finds at the end has doodles of all the stuff from the book that they couldn't put in the movie

Its not to make them look stupid, I wouldn't know how to spell acquisitions either.
It's to highlight that they are more concerned with surface level things and fitting in, than they are with their job.
Forgetting the 'c' is a layman mistake, it shows they aren't really qualified and just got to their position through connections.

Well it was >implied in the film too;
but it was a quick cut showing the hanger and then showing the hookers leaving the apartment with cuts on their backs;

I'm glad and disgusted with reading the book

i think the weirdest part in the book is when he kills the kid in the zoo and then actually feels bad about it

Were the other lads ever confirmed to get their jobs through nepotism?

i dont think it's ever stated in the book

but they all come from well off families, go to prestigious schools, and have their connections from birth

this, ruins the otherwise absolute superior card

What's embarrassing is it was probably intentional.

What did patrick do with the hanger??

He literally just said that design means jack shit in terms of pricing. Expensive material=expensive card. Think about it, you fucking retard. What else could they possibly do to a card to make it more expensive?