John Carpenter re:reviewed

So now that the dust has settled: what do you people think went wrong?

He stopped giving a fuck after They Live.

Then why would he keep making movies...?

Because fuck it that's why.

He let his lack of mainstream success get to him. Seriously, he's a great filmmaker, but he always comes off as incredibly bitter that he's not more highly regarded by the public, or as successful as some of his peers.

It's kind of understandable, but he seems to be taking things too personally.

Do you think he's ever going to deliver another masterpiece?

Something called paychecks.

nope, he doesn't want to make movies anymore

We might get one more movie out of him but I doubt it'll be a masterpiece. He stopped caring about movies a long time ago and right now is focusing on music. I really want him to make another movie because I don't want The Ward to be the end to his filmography but he's probably better off focusing on music. His studio albums are pretty good and he's great live.

Yeah I know but can't we even hope for a late elderly life change of heart?

He's capable of some brilliant stuff but 90% of his output is amateur tier.

Is this the samefag from the earilier thread?

I've never seen Carpenter act bitter. Whenever he talks, he knows what the fuck he's talking about. You listen; don't try and think you know better than him.

>90% of his output is amateur tier.
What? The Thing, Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween, Escape from New York, They Live, Christine, The Fog, Big Trouble In Little China, and Starman are great, Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness are good, Darkstar is good considering it was an extremely low budget student film, and Escape from L.A. and Vampires aren't terrible. His only amatuer tier films are Memoirs of an Invisible Man, Village of the Damned, Ghosts of Mars and The Ward.

Isn't he associated with a new Halloween movie?

Exec producing and he MIGHT score it. Keep your fingers crossed.

Um, no, none of his works are amateur. It's fucking John Carpenter. No wonder he acts "bitter"

talentless hackl

>Memoirs of an Invisible Man, Village of the Damned, Ghosts of Mars

Those weren't good but not amateurish in any way. The one that really felt like an amateur movie was Pro-Life. That really made me wonder what the fuck happened because even at his shittiest, Carpenter did good looking movies but that one was just terrible.

He's a shit director. All his "good" movies are overrated and dumb luck at best.

After seeing his MOH episodes, I think he may have another "They Live" tier great film in him, but he definitely doesn't have another "The Thing or Halloween."

I think him and Kurt should do one more film together, whether it's shit or not every director should attempt a "Ran" before death. Tell the world to fuck off you still got this.

>made over 10 good movies
>"dumb luck"

>implying the transformed landscape in hollywood which offers zero funding to any original concept has nothing to do with carpenter stepping out

>I think him and Kurt should do one more film together
I'd love to see them do a Western together.

I think he just secretly fell out of love with film and only made them because it gave him excuse to make more music

The Thing is the only movie you listed that's worth a damn

>he doesn't like Big Trouble in Little China
You leave Jack Burton alone!

>that one interview where he said every time he might be interested in directing another feature but then remembers how much effort it is and he'd rather chill out and play his xbox

That begs the question..

What is his best film?

What is Cred Forums's obsession with wanting directors to keep making gems until they are dead or in their 90s? Dude had an amazing run from the late '70s until the late'80s. Like all artists, when your inspiration is exhausted, the good art is finished. He will never make another. He made like 6-7 awesome movies in that ten-year span. Just be happy with that. He's old, he's already said everything he wanted to say artistically. Just leave it alone. Fuck, I hate you faggots.

>or as successful as some of his peers.
His peers are other horror and subgenre directors and he is as successful and highly regarded as any horror director ever. You might want to know what the fuck you are talking about before posting.