Makes a new Star Wars series

>Makes a new Star Wars series
>Undeniably it is for children
>Main conflict revolves around intergalactic trade negotiations.

What? Why would Lucas think children would be interesting in politics?

Other urls found in this thread:

starwarsringtheory.com/ring-composition-chiasmus-hidden-artistry-star-wars-prequels/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think he was trying to appeal to both kids and grown-up nerds but wound up appealing to no one

Lucas in reality thought he was creating biting social commentary on the Bush administration at the time, but he wasn't smart enough to really critique it or at least put in enough effort to make it believable so long story short he called it a "kids film" and said people cared too much.

Just like he tried to make Anakin a compelling character only he forgot to write the compelling traits and the character qualities to do that.

But production of Episode 1 began in 1997 and it was released in 1999. He was critiquing a presidential administration from the future?

I think its better motivation then what the force awakens has brought us

>all the political scenes combined in the TPM are less than 10 mins
It's been almost 20 years. Move on, OP.

Bush Sr.

inb4 this thread is filled with contrarian shitposting

>tries to shit on something
>is still talking about it 17 years after release
???

>the main conflict of the prequels was the war, and the war was about trade
Anywhere but Cred Forums I'd know people saying things this stupid were fucking with me.

Actually Palpatine's rise to power was influenced by President Nixon. Palpatine is the star wars equivalent to Nixon as well.

Nixon did nothing wrong

what new series?

You write what you know.
And since Lucas is autismo he couldn't see the forest for the trees...

John Milius actually explained it: Lucas spent all his time in board meetings running Lucas Film and other companies...

Lucas wrote a film entirely about trade and board-meetings with the veneer of "galactic" to make it seem kid-friendly and exotic..

You're correct about Phantom Menace but the sequels were clearly aiming at that social commentary.

Also according to Lucas in the interview he did for the last run of unedited VHS Star Wars films, he said he started working on the prequels (writing) before he made 4,5,6 some adaptions were obviously made in all that time.

Though Ive also been told Mass Effect 3 was written right after 2 and Dragon Age Inquisition had a five year development. People can lie.

Cred Forums is the embodiment of contrarianism.

Politics is cyclical I guess.

Wasn't it Lucas who said?
>a lot of the mistakes we made in Vietnam we repeated in Iraq

>children would be interesting in politics?
Fuck off Chink

How do you explain all of the scenes that aren't about trade and board-meetings?

bit off more than he could chew. I'm sure he has had this universe expanding in his mind for the past 30 years and he just wanted to share it with us in the way he sees it.

it was always a franchise for children. He made this clear before the original trilogy even came out.

Tarantino-ism movie pastiches.
Allegories to his personal life, or things he wished would have happened.

I'm just giving you a theory that I think concisely explains the nature of the series, I'm not a StarWarsologist

This sounds like a pretty shit theory. Lucas is an experienced director. Watch THX1138 and American Graffiti.

RLM would have you believe that Lucas was a lucky autist all along good for nothing but spazzing around behind the scenes getting a boner whenever somebody mentioned special effects while the editor and the guy holding the boom-mike directed the Original Trilogy and that's why the Prequels tell the most nonsensical story ever put together in human history but it's really not that bad.

I've heard a lot of people say that in American Graffiti and the First Star Wars he had a lot of help from Ron Howard and Francis Ford Coppola and of course the editors in Star Wars.

Anyone else here likes the prequels better than the original trilogy?

I have never watched any of that meme RLM. So Can't comment.

I have seen those movies.
American Graffiti is AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL, that's arguably a reason it's his best film.
>Also it's pretty much a rev-head remake of I Vitelloni

The intricacies of this galactic trade mumbo jumbo I think are because he was autismo

No we haven't yet reached those Super Saiyan levels of contrarianism.

Short of actually directing it in your place how is it possible for somebody to help you direct a movie? And I personally think that THX is his best work by far. Who helped him there?

I think that they're about a tie. Even before the prequels I never cared much for Empire Strikes Back beyond the opening and closing sequences and a couple of scenes with Yoda. The praise that movie gets now disgusts me.

>intricacies of this galactic trade mumbo jumbo
>intricacies
>THE TECHNO-UNION *BWOOOEEERRROOO* WILL SIGN YOUR TREATY
>intricate storytelling

>And I personally think that THX is his best work by far. Who helped him there?
The Murch

>>intricate storytelling
Please explain to me where I said the storytelling was intricate?

But even that facetious greentext you wrote is less engaging for children, is superficially more technical than lazer fire, or reptilian desert beasts, or flying over exotic lands.

Most children are cognitively visual and it takes like 12 years of fucking academic education before they become verbal-centric normies.

Dumb prequel poster.

What the fuck are you talking about? I was just trying to imply that the politics were pretty simple and not a big part of the movie. All you need to understand is that the republic is kind of shit and the rich space-chinese aliens are trying to break away and while this is happening Sheev told the republic to fight a stupid war over it.

Post again with fewer adjectives if you want me to follow you.

>muh trade and politics xD

i'm sure i can speak for anyone who was a kid when these movies came out, that we didn't give a fuck about that. most of you that "hate" the prequels always bring up trade and politics as the weakness, yet no one gives a fuck except rlm parrots like you

I was going to say, the fluff to push the story along didn't matter, in fact growing up you ended up caring more about a character and projecting onto it.

>Short of actually directing it in your place how is it possible for somebody to help you direct a movie?

Well I don't know exactly what it's like to be on set out in the desert, trying to film Tatooine scenes, but hypothetically taking the example away from Lucas for a second we can imagine it's possible to help someone direct things pretty easily in fact.

For one we know people are trained to be directors so there is that much help right there that every director gets.

When you go through this training you might meet some actors, boom mic technicians and editors but mostly what you will meet is other people training to be directors because you all take the same classes and hang out at the same coffee shop. Most "New Hollywood directors" knew each other in this fashion at the time, Lucas and Francis even lived in a van together for a while. Imagine I'm Lucas and you're a young dashing Francis Ford Coppola and we're smoking joints together before Steven Spielberg drops by. I tell you I'm having a hard time filming a cantina scene with a bunch of grocery store costume aliens and my main protagonists, you tell me some camera tricks and Steven Hooks me up with some guy named John Williams.

What I just described is fantasy but we can imagine a director getting advice from more talented people even if they aren't on the set doing everything for me. I know that Ron Howard actually was on the set for most early Lucas films as kind of apprenticeship/training.

I love how you spend a lot of your time shitting on someone.

I'm still having trouble imagining anybody not actively on set organizing scenes with you can have a significant impact on your work.

Was it shitting? Some people just cant do what they want to in life. I'd like to be a mathematician but I can only do things as advanced as order of operations. I'd like to be an astronaut but I don't know much about driving a space ship or rocket telemetry. At some point you have to realize this or coast on the success of others. We cant all be Buckaroo Banzai

I think you wouldn't have delved into this unless you believed a counter narrative to the popular ones.

I think you wouldn't have wasted your time with this unless you believed it enough to try and change other's minds. What else could it be but shitting, pejoratively speaking.

Well I'm here and I'm not new, so that implies some hateful/spiteful nature to my existence, but that aside it's really just to explore the idea that he really was never a successful director as I have heard that hypothesis before and haven't really heard a counter argument/counter evidence to it.

I think RLM is actually more fair to Lucas than some people. I read an article once that claimed he didn't even come up with the idea of Star Wars at all he stole it for some other dude. I wouldn't go that far. Some people would say it's a low rent Hidden Fortress in space. I see his references to that, but again I wouldn't hate on him enough to say "it's merely a ripoff."

>Tremendous piece of shit being propped up by the laurels of the original trilogy among other factors
>Thinking that means it's good
Found the Hillary supporter

>trying to cast people that like the prequels as hillary supporters

ha, that might be the best thing I've seen yet, if anything it would be the opposite. Who are young white men going to support more? Who would champion the status quo? Baby boomers (OT purists) or people who aren't baby boomers?

I think you honestly believe that and yes we all have some basis in malevolence.

So you think somantic bias/genetics, emotions don't play into your bias and you think yours is parroting something more structured, fair in your point of view?

They're constructing their point of view based on the movies without any evidence from behind the scenes, like you are. The burden of proof is prosecution, reasonable doubt isn't what your aim is. I think you've confused which side of the issue you're on when trying to be 'fair' when people point out Lucas's previous efforts as their evidence and not trying to use behind the scenes 'theories' since a hypothesis still needs observable evidence. You're using a theory in this case that is without a basis in actual evidence.

You weren't there, neither was RLM. Hearsay is inadmissible for a reason.

What the fuck are you talking about

prequel defenders and people supporting trump are the same people, you delusional mong.

Kek I didn't make any sweeping generalizations. All I did was point out the inconsistency of user's argument using Hillary as an example.

Anyone can like or dislike the prequels/Hillary. No one can dislike Hillary using user's logic.

>still trying to conflate the two hoping he is going to make a meal out of it.

the sauce is weak user.

I admitted my scenario was a fantasy, but one based on historical facts and possible circumstance of the time. George knew other directors, he knew other people interested in film making that he was not around when he made the prequels but they were around when he made his initial films. Hence peoples suspicion about his "talents."

I wasn't actually even stating it to the effect that it was a likely scenario but as colorful example about how a director might be aided and influenced by other more talented people. We can speculate based on that they might have had some influence or direct involvement in his film making.

Imagine if we had a similar idea about Einstein, there are people who don't understand much about science who think he is a thief who "stole" his ideas from others. Imagine my fantasy scenario with him as George Lucas and the other names being Eddington and Neils Bohr. The point isn't that Einstein would actually be a thief in this scenario its that he had an opportunity and means to be a thief and my fantasy would show this possibility and "how" it could happen, not that it did.

I think people not very knowledgeable about film making and other arts and sciences are under the belief that artists are invariant figures who work mostly in isolation except for those few times when they touch the ground we regular earthlings all walk on. When in reality it's a lot more complicated than that and their work and influences are more ingrained in the process than might be generally acknowledged to be the case. In Lucas case more so than most.

Okay based on this structure I actually agree, people create based on previous works and environment that they create in as much as their ideas themselves. I also think Lucas was honest about his influences ad nauseam so using that as evidence to hang him on something unrelated seems unfair at the very least and a point of evidence that I wonder about is if this is completely true.

Why hasn't starwars been recreated using another idea similar to starwars or another genre/universe? In terms of impact across all of humanity.

The creating it at the right 'time' argument cannot explain the confluence of this simple idea outgrowing its roots in terms of influence and societal impact. He had to be good at something. Luck alone does not get you this lottery.

you've clearly never read this:

starwarsringtheory.com/ring-composition-chiasmus-hidden-artistry-star-wars-prequels/

star wars is shit
the only reason it got famous is because it was chosen by the jews to please the masses

>someone is actually trying to justify Lucas' lack of understanding what was good about the original trilogy and his attempts to throw various elements from those movies against the prequel wall to see what sticks as RING POTTERY
Never ceases to amaze me.

It's hard to imagine now, but The Wizard of Oz had an impact almost as huge if not more. Context always helps, but it's not the only factor that makes things big. I think they both play into fantasies even negative ones we want to be reality. Robots that do manual labor for us, fantasy creatures that can be our friend, regular life tasks becoming an adventure, evil losing in the end despite temptation etc. There is more and less to both than all these tropes. I think a lot of it is how universal and relatable it is despite the fantastical setting, which is a major way in which I think the prequels and other works of fiction similar to Star Wars fail. It's hard to relate to a Jedi's monkish life or a bureaucrats squabbling it's not as hard to relate to Luke or Han Solo. Even old Obiwan seems more grounded in the original trilogy despite a huge reduction and exposition in comparison to the prequels.

Lucas was partially responsible for that but a lot of the producers and editing rejected ideas that seemed to outlandish or out of character in the original films. In the prequels he had no filter and no one to tell him no and he also wanted sweet sweet action figure money. A lot of universality made the original trilogy a massive success and a lack of it killed the prequels in my opinion. Obviously among other things, but I would say it's the single biggest problem. I would also say not to discount "luck" it's more important than we think in making things like this happen.

it actually makes a lot of sense. You'd know that if you actually read it you pompous millenial shit. It doesn't make them good movies on their own, however.

You're in a prequel thread, user. Why don't you hop over to one of the many TFA threads currently bumping in the catalogue...... oh, wait.

>Why would Lucas think children would be interesting in politics?

Because he's a closet pedophile.

>you pompous millenial shit
Remember that millenials who were born in the early to mid 90s are the demographic that Lucas tried to aim at with his PEW PEW WHOOSH LASERS CHASES FIGHTINGS FUNNY CARTOON PLATYPUS BUY THESE LEGOS approach, and who probably enjoyed the prequels a lot (at least before they stumbled upon ageing nerds of the older generation whining about Lucas ruining everything including their childhoods).

You didn't actually address anything within the link. I bet you didn't even manage to marathon a paragraph of it.

And all the older Star Wars fans I've met don't mind the prequels but were at best okay with and at worst disgusted by The Force Awakens.