Magnificent Seven

Hey you know who else was in the old west in the 1800s? A lot of non-white folks.
2016 M7 was pretty much perfectly cast. Chris Pratt makes a perfect cowboy and Byung-hun Lee sexually confuses me because he's just so dashing?

Other urls found in this thread:

archiveofourown.org/works/8134744
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_racial_and_ethnic_demographics_of_the_United_States#Historical_data_for_all_races_and_for_Hispanic_origin_.281610.E2.80.932010.29
youtube.com/watch?v=OzNnCK5cd8Q
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy
kiwifarms.net/threads/ryulong-michael-cohen.10341/page-76
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

WHAT

I mean, if someone showed me OPs pic and asked me which one looks more interesting, yeah I guess I would have to go with the bottom pic. The first one looks like a police line up. All vaguely the same rapist/murderer in a cowboy hat.

It's obvious that you're trying to trigger polfags, but why start your post with such an obvious fact?

It was still a boring movie save for everything involving billy and goodnight

>le asian reference to seven samurai
isn't it a bit racist that they made him chinese?

I loved all the little bannters between everyone. Pratt and Mexican guy. Bear man and Indian. Of course Goodnight and Billy. Smart script.

This. Characters were dull and cliched.

>Chris Pratt makes a perfect cowboy and Byung-hun Lee sexually confuses me because he's just so dashing?
>ending that statement with a question mark
Alex you're my nigga but why

Also yeah Pratt's a damn good cowboy.

Back in the 1800s Shanghai was considered the "Las Vegas" of China, or the "Japan" of China. AKA, a lot of people who lived there wanted to go get out of China and go west/Japan and they were shunned by the rest of the country for being so non-traditional. However, 1830 (when this movie takes place) was still too early for Japanese people to be venturing out to America, let alone playing cowboy/being a sideshow gambling act. It was 95% Chinese people.

interesting

>Byung-hun Lee
>Japanese inspired roles, Korean actor, playing Chinese man.

Hmmm. Seems like a big loop hole for them to get away with it.

This movie hasn't been out for 24 hours yet and there's already Goodnight/Billy fanfiction.

Fucking link me nigger I need a good laugh at 3:30 AM

archiveofourown.org/works/8134744

Actually, it was pretty well written. What have I become?[/spoilers]

Politically correct Seven Samurai remake when?

Holy shit, the triggered Cred Forumsbeard is resposting this thread again

Nobody cares. Fuck off neckbeard

I want a Last Samurai remake. But it has to have Tom Cruise in it somewhere.

I really wish hollywood would come up with original ideas and stop cashing in on remakes of old ideas

>put minorities in predominately white setting
>"Diversity! So brave! Right side of history!"

>put whites in predominately minority / any other setting
>"Appropriation! Stealing our heritage! White Washing!"

>1830 (when this movie takes place)
Just going by the screenshot in OP, I'm calling bullshit

>1830 (when this movie takes place)

Probably shouldn't have an 1870's Winchester rifle in the promo material then.

Probably not the biggest historical fuckup in the film though.

Also, Shanghai didn't really become a 'thing' until the 1860s and even then most of the Chinese that came to America were from the coastal cities south of Shanghai.

>Byung-hun Lee sexually confuses me
What did OP mean by this?

I can't remember what it was exactly, but there was some exchange during the movie that made me think "This is pretty gay."

These reviewers should be fucking gassed, god damn.

you_IRL

that's op trying to say he's gay

this is fake right

It came out 3 days ago.

when critics stop caring about what the movie is and more about who is in the movie, all is lost

>these people are responsible for Ghostbusters 2016 to have a fresh rating
>these people are responsible for BvS to be at like 20%
>these people are paid to write shit like this

no no thats wrong. i just saw the film and they reference the civil war being in the past. that makes the movie take place at least after 1865

I wonder if any of them have even seen the movie? Can't really tell from what their "reviews" say.

>assmad DCuck

Every fucking time.

BvS just wasn't an interesting movie mate. I like Henry, Ben and Zach, but the movie just wasn't really interesting.

the cast is pretty good if you're not a biased pol fag and haley bennet is a top tier qt. too bad she's almost 30.

That's not fucking bad, shit. It's just retelling Billy and Goodnight's stand at the bell but it's really well written.

>Mentioning obama, trump
Wtf relation have them to a fucking western review?

none, it's just liberal morons using the very small soapbox they've been given to interject their political opinion where it doesn't belong

The bottom is a more accurate adaptation, the seven are supposed to be a bunch of jackasses, not seven chads.

>Rothkopf
>Ehrlich
>Scherstuhl
>Zacharek

(((Joshua Rothkopf)))
(((David Ehrlich)))
(((Manohla Dargis)))
(((Alan Scherstuhl)))
(((Stephanie Zacharek)))
--:Kam Williams :--

Dude. Google Manohla Dargis. Seriously. She's literally a living caricature of everything Cred Forums would slap onto a caricature of a Jewish cultural marxist propaganda monger.

The Wild West is not a predominantly white setting you fucking moron.

The movie is subtly political. You shouldn't be surprised by this after the Emmys. Sure, there are a number of white "heroes". One killed a bunch on Indians in the past. Another was a confederate. Obviously this is mentioned to bring up feelings of white guilt. Then Pratt is an aimless drunk. It's no surprise when these characters die. Then Pratt's saves the day by sacrificing himself. Just as all white men should do!

The black man is obviously meant to be supreme. They attribute to him not only the leadership role but the best character. He's never a joke or weak like the white characters. Then we have the woman that's not hard to see as a stand-in for Hillary.

The villain is meant to be Trump. His men are white except one Indian that the other Indian calls a traitor. What I hate the most is they always act like Obama and Hillary care so much about feminism and people's protection. Yeah, because that's what bringing in fuck tons of Sharia-loving Muslims will do for America. It won't at all increase rape and violence.

How badly did they fuck up by not casting Pratt as Indy? He looks perfect for the part and has the charm

He's a sellout piece of shit, fuck him.

>All vaguely the same rapist/murderer in a cowboy hat.

>He's a sellout piece of shit

how so?

Did you miss the movie this thread is talking about?

>1 Indian
>Literally "cowboys and Indians"
>1 Nigger
>Literally there were black cowboys
>1 Chink
>Literally come from China and built the railroads

Wow Cred Forums is getting easily triggered.

I only watched half of it desu senpai, was busy catching up on Mr Robot

Holy shit this is reverse Cred Forums, 100%. Jesus fuck.

Prove it fuckface.

What other races were strongly represented?

>American Indians
Maybe a few but not a minority after the Plains Wars
>Chinese
Maybe mercantile, vice and laundry but still not a majority. Most Chinese were railroad slaves and some were miners on the Old Gold Mountain.
>Negroes
Maybe here and there but not a majority
>Yids
Don't make me laugh

Face it. The American west 1830-1890 was overwhelmingly white.

>reverse Cred Forums

Gonna sauce that or we just have to take your word for it? Why do you care anyway?

shut up, tripfag.

They made several direct references to it being after the civil war. Its like 1875ish

Is this any good?
I heard the pacing is atrocious, and the tone is closer to a capeshit than a western.

A lot of Cowboys were black, it was a shit job that they were kind of forced to take.

It's an ok action movie that happens to be a remake of a fucking classic. If it weren't a fucking remake no one would really care about it one way or the other.

I liked it.
Not even liberal, I just thought it was well done for what it was.

Oh on earth was a cowboy supposed to be able to end up as a fat cunt back in those days?

He's not obese, just overweight. Not out of the ordinary even back then.

I'd assume old west is like 60%-70% white people with most minorities being mexicans, a handful of black people and your occasional chinese or native. You didn't have as many black people as the deep south did but the old west was generally less white than the rest of america in those days.
If it's in 1870's new mexico and it's 100% white with no mexicans or 1840's with no indians, then it's honestly a bit ahistorical.

Movie's script was okay except the villain. Direction was barely competent and weighed the final action scene down heavily. Characters were thin. I give it 3 dongles out of 5.

>I'd assume old west is like 60%-70% white people
It was about 95% white.

It was less than 50% after the war with Mexico IIRC. Especially if you count the chink railroad workers and the mongrels.

Why does /tvpol/ have to shit up this board even more?

The only people who are uncomfortable and upset about a non issue like casting non whites (heaven forbid) in a movie are you manchildren stormweenies.

Nice sources

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_racial_and_ethnic_demographics_of_the_United_States#Historical_data_for_all_races_and_for_Hispanic_origin_.281610.E2.80.932010.29

>why do facts in history matter? Why cant we just make up our own history?

Shitty biceps, lats and traps. Decent pecs. 6/10

That's for the entire country, we were talking about the Old West. Meaning 1865-1900 in the Wild West. Post a sauce on that.

Nice quads. If facts are so important for you post a sauce.

>Racial and Ethnic Demographics of the United States (Total Numbers) Between 1850 and 1920[

Learn to read retard.

most cowboys were black because it was considered a shit job and whites were too proud to do it unless they were really desperate

I'm baffled by how stupid you are.

But user... 3 out of the original 7 aren't white...

Do these people ever get enjoyment out of life? If a movie has an obvious political stance I usually don't go. If they surprise me with one it's disappointing, so I don't know how people can go look for it.

From >87% white
>12% black
>Rest are hispanic, asian and native-americans
You are delusional

Not that guy but hispanics were almost non-existent until the last few decades. I really don't see how this minuscule minority would make up 20% in the wild west.

Top picture in OP represents reality, bottom represents hollywood make-believe.

>Old movie
>Only two survive
>Nobody cares because only white people died
>New movie
>Only two are going to survive
>People will complain because at least 1 non white will die

>Not that guy but hispanics were almost non-existent until the last few decades

You do realize New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California and Texas were Mexican until you conquered them right? You do know that user, don';t you? That statistic is for the entire country, we're talking about the Wild West not New York and Boston. Are you capable of understanding this or not?

I enjoyed it

>I really don't see how this minuscule minority would make up 20% in the wild west.
In new mexico and southern texas, they made up a much larger percentage than they did nationally. We're talking about the old west, not the entire country. There were much larger percentages of hispanics in towns like el paso, santa fe, and amarillo than in places like boston or atlanta.

So? Magnificent Seven is about farm folk, which were literally 110% white.

Back to tumblr with you.

>mexicans almost non-existant in the wild west
makes you really think dont you?

Yes, mexican farmers were all 110% white.

Don't you people count them as whites? AFAIK that's the only reason you can still say that the whites are a majority in your country.

>fingerless gloves

Were those popular in the old west?

I don't know how wushu shit he's going to be but I think it's actually pretty legit having a chinaman in a Western. They were a lot of the labour around then. That contractual servitude stuff was hugely common after the Civil War and the slaves dried up.

Apparently a lot of the continental Europeans stayed on in America after their contract was up, but most of the Chinese and many of the English went back home.

I think I remember that right. Anyway, because of this the demographics of the US in the early 20th century didn't reflect the huge numbers of Chinese people there during the late 19th, because they actually mostly went back to China.

I'm not USA. I'm Canada.

Besides, we were talking back then, not today. I doubt mex were considered white.

They were considered mongrels and nothing more. A people incapable of governing itself which needed occupation and law brought to them.

They've always been popular. It was useful with gunslinging and other things. Better grip on the gun with freed triggering finger.

Racial demographics in america vary by region and time. For example, about a third of georgia is black today while that number was 50% pre 1900 while only 12% of americans are black nationally.

Wan't the opening of the original M7 about 2 of them trying to burry a mex on boot hill with the white folks and shooting racist fucks? Or was it an injun?

Dude, on the internet time is never a factor. Never. Region can be a factor sometimes, but never time.

It's the world we live in now.

Injun. Died on the street next to some white traveler and he took it upon himself to bury the man as a Christian thing to do. Steve McQueen and Yul Brynner then take the body to the cemetery fighting Cred Forumsfags on the way.

If there's any people those Cred Forumsfags hate more than anything else, it's those Injuns.

>as a Christian thing to do
Wow that's racist af, how was that allowed?

Why are they making it about race? Why not provide feedback on the actor's performances instead of mentioning their skin colour? Do liberal not realise that they are the ones being racist now?

Said Injun was a Christian himself IIRC, and a drunk. So the red nigger keelhauled in front of some white dude who talked to the town's undertaker who said he's scared and won't do it.

Well it was a """white""" cemetery only. Because that makes sense right?

i don't get why americans get butthurt over this, it's not like america was a pure aryan colony during that era. it was full of beaners, indians, irish (niggers) and chinese new worlders.

sergio leone basically defined the prototypical western out law as swathy spic and it's been that way ever since.

>>Said Injun was a Christian himself IIRC
What the fuck, didn't they have separation of church and state back then?

>it's not like america was a pure aryan colony during that era.
See retard.

More than in the Bush era anyway. It is a Christian thing to do tho, burying some poor dead fuck who ain't got anyone else to care for him.

Inb4 250.000 phone calls

Non-whites were pretty much a regional thing in the 19th century. 90% of blacks lived in the southeast and 90% of hispanics were in the southwest. So the percent of black people in alabama was way higher than the north or west and the percent of mexicans in texas was way higher than on the east coast.
With of course time being a thing. A western in the 1840's should have a way higher amount of mexicans than one in the 1870's because of whites moving westward.

>retard

spic.

I'd actually say though, having a random asian in a group is far more ahistorical than mexicans. Pretty much you'd never see chinese people until you wandered to a work camp for a railroad or anything else requiring lots of cheap labor. Then there'd suddenly be tons of chinese and black people.

>still thinks BvS was good
I don't know about the extended edition, but the theatrical release was 'walk out' worthy.

And why the fuck does that matter? Can't you just enjoy a film user? I know you can't

guys, someone post some Haley Bennett webms from M7 already! dont make me dl the whole movie for it

In the begining of the movie the year is shown, it's something like 1886-1889 can't remember exactly . But in the 1980's.

>Irish (niggers)

You Cred Forums faggots are pathetic, always talking about how brown people are gonna overwhelm the west yet you divide white Europeans because "muh aryan"

>call everyone a nigger
>call everyone an sjw
>call everyone a shill
>call everyone a kike
>call everyone a spic
>call everyone a degenerate
>WAAAAH NO ONE CATERS TO US

Now it is easier telling them apart.

>everyone
No.

I fucking love Ethan Hawke

He was the best character.

Rotten Tomatoes confirmed again for worthless.
Is there a site without pants-on-head liberal bloggers as reviewers?

Eh, the Wild West was fairly "diverse" for its time, it was about whether you could cut it or not, people didn't really give too much about your skin color.

The thing that upsets me though is that I used to really like this sort of thing, with a bunch of characters from different national/ethnic backgrounds and such getting together to fight a common enemy. It was fun. Nowadays I can't see stuff like this as anything but forced Jew shit. I'll wait until I've seen it to pass judgement on this though.

>put whites
It's not some random white guy hanging around a port town, it's a white lead in a situation where whites were uncommon-to-nonexistent. This is 2-3 not-white guys on a team of cowboys, a profession that had a lot of blacks and Mexicans. The injun help to a cowboy has been a thing since the 50s or 60s.

Yes, there were non-whites in the West in the 1800's.

Also, if you haven't seen it, watch 좋은 놈, 나쁜 놈, 이상한 놈 (The Good, the Bad, the Weird).

youtube.com/watch?v=OzNnCK5cd8Q

And this is the type of person that should be gassed for the betterment of America

no, they weren't you absolute fucking retard. Most cowboys were Meeheecans. That's where the entire subculture originates from after branching off from Spanish vaquero culture.

They were the 3rd largest group in the branch, after whites and mexicans.

I'd like a Magnificent Seven movie about a diverse gang of scalpers hired to collect injun scalps.
But because it's too much hassle to discover the actual injuns they just move their business to Mexico.

>tfw no Blood Meridian adaptation

>cowboys, a profession that had a lot of blacks and Mexicans
I think you're talking about bandits dude.

No, cowboys. More than half of all cowboys were not pure white.

utterly plebian

No, most cowboys were blacks and mexicans. Some Chinese, although significantly less. Majority of white cowboys were Confederate veterans who couldn't get work.

Hollywood Western films and Pulp Novels whitewashed it, but it was not a glamorous job and it was largely non-whites.

The movie is good though. They have characters say racist shit to eachother and bantz about it throughout the film.

[citation needed]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy

Only about 50% where White, and that was counting spaniards (not mexicans though)

>isn't it a bit racist that they made him chinese?
No, it isn't. A Korean person can play a Japanese or Chinese person. It's fine.

It's just annoying when someone sees you an assumes you're not from America because you're Asian, or says you're Chinese all the time when you Japanese or something (imagine being American and constantly having people assume you're Canadian). Saying "they all look the same" is kinda racist because it stems from the racist, wrong idea that "Asia is all the same" when the reality is that Asia is one of the most diverse continents on the planets and Asians are the most diverse race.

Anything that's not from a site that's edited by SJW propagandists?

[citation needed]

THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME

kiwifarms.net/threads/ryulong-michael-cohen.10341/page-76

yfw you realize this is composer James Horner's last movie. He died in a plane crash

Yep, those Asians, they all look the same.

Chris Pratt sexually confuses me too.
And by confused I mean >tfw no chris bf to cuddle

You can see the sources at the bottom.

This has been fact for decades, before SJW shit was even a thing.

Kek at the old lady poking fun at numales.

>before SJW shit was even a thing.
So before the French Revolution?

1. Ryulong doesn't have any current edits on the Cowboy Wikipedia page. In fact, I'm not seeing where he edited the cowboy page at all.

2. Ryulong was banned from Wikipedia ages ago.

So, again, [citations needed].

No one is getting triggered its a fine cast of characters. Tge only people getting vocal are sjws who are saying IN YOUR FACE TRUMP FAGS WE GOT DENZEL HEADLINING A GROUP OF WHITE MEN AND A RANDOM INDIAN AND CHINAMAN HILLARY 2016!!!!!!!

TRIGGERED

Why is it you only ask for sources when people claim the American West was mostly white?

Oh that's right. You're either a nigger, a SJW, or a cunt.

She's like a hot Jennifer lawrence

Read the thread, friend. Someone posted sources that there were quite a few non-white cowboys, and the response so far has been "yeah but Wikipedia once had a guy who was an SJW editing things (ignore that he's been banned since forever) even though he never actually edited the article in question, and the article has its sources cited anyways."

>I am autistic beep boop

Probably because the claim is ridiculous to anyone who paid attention in an American history class.

The last one sounds like satire. The exclamation point and the phrase "fantasy land" shit gives it away but it's still a fresh review so who the fuck knows.

Yul Brynner's outfit in Magnificent Seven and Westworld are identical

nice touch

It's really weird how the guys on the top's costumes are much better fitted. All these movies these days have astronomical budgets but they can't hire a tailor.

Wow liberals are really trying to push this race agenda.

I don't blame you for falling back on insults because you clearly can't make factual arguments. Calling me autistic is all you have.

Let's say it's true: all that means if you got schooled by a retard. Means you're lower than a retard. Makes you look worse than me.

Race didn't exist until the liberal media invented it.

Tbqh I don't have any problems with Denzel or the Korean guy from the Bittersweet Life,
but I'm quite diffident of a remake of a classic made by Sony.

Yeah they definitely didn't have color film back then, nice try OP

It sucks when idiots on the internet shit all over a good, fun movie just because it triggered their politics but nothing you can really do. That's just the internet.

I meant the fashion m8

Spaniards are white, and so are many mexicans.
>b-but mestizo
>b-but arabs
No.

I find races are white when it fits a narrative and non-white when it fits another.

They weren't exactly all chummy though. These characters have racial and political issues with one another that are swept under the rug far too easily with no tension or organic bonding.

But what can you expect from a script that is Quippy Quip and the Quipping Bunch?

>do culture studies as a part of my English units at uni
>everyone in the unit except two SJWs, who must be majoring in arts or whatever, crap this shit out half-heartedly to get our Cs
>mfw those two are probably going to blog about films and controversial to their numerical score on a website somewhere

I should get their surnames and see if they're Jews

he's such a terrible actor holy shit

The Good, The Bad & The Weird is set during Japanese occupied Manchuria though.

Spaniards/ Mediterraneans are not white.
Look to northern Europe, Britain and Ireland for real white people.

>mouse over spoilers
>mfw they're actually fucking spoilers

D'onofrio's character should've had more time with Red Hawk.

I mean come on.
One is an Indian Hunter and other is a Indian.

Yes. And?

I'm just saying, the way your organized your post implies that "The Good, the Bad & The Weird" is set during the 1800's Old West.

Not at all. You misread what was written.

D'onofrio had me in stitches everytime he opened his mouth.

What the fuck was that voice.

You are fucking sad.

Denzel was basically playing Bass Reeves so thats pretty cool.

This.

Stop questioning things.

This new movie takes place in 1879, I believe.

Wasn't America like 90% white for 200 years?

Wasn't America 0% white for thousands of years?

>"No"
>an argument
Pick one.

A spectrum doesn't invalidate the idea of color and a mixed pallet cannot be equated exclusively to an individual color. Mixing blue and yellow will give you green. You wouldn't categorize it as yellow, you'd categorize it as green.

Likewise, Native Americans and blacks mixing with (barely) European and significantly North African Spaniards does not make their Mestizo offspring European. Mestizos are predominantly non-European genetically, and are therefore not White by definition.

It was founded in 1776. So no.

this is a solid fun action movie, probably the best action movie i've seen this year.

the story is as simple as it gets, its all about the action.

i'd give it a solid 8 out of 10.

yea, but they didn't do anything worth noting.

It's thanks to these retards that more and more people think race is a social construct

>a social construct
Everything is a social construct, how is that even an argument?

He's been getting a lot of Hollywood roles lately.

America was a non-white place much, much longer than it was a white place.

Is this movie good? without comparing it to the original? action wise?

Sometimes simple is better, especially when it comes to action movies. I liked it a lot - there were nods to the original movie that was a nice touch.

I have a feeling it fucking bombed though. Any movie I go to see no one else does.

In the 1800s half of them would be lynched just for walking around with a gun.

I liked it - it was a good action movie.

1. This is a western. Westerns generally are not accurate portrayals of the west, with the exception to those that pride themselves in "historical accuracy." This one doesn't. For the most part, westerns are a fantasy, and this one is no exception.

2. It's not unrealistic or outlandish that a western would have non-whites in it because non-whites did indeed exist during the 1800s, and in the west, and in a considerable number.

3. You're at least five decades too late to get your panties in a twist over darkies and slants being in a movie. I recommend you invent time travel and go back to when that line of thought was much more accepted and movies were much whiter.

(You)

Nah. America was foubded by anglos germanics and danes. They held all the power and considered everyone else non white french italains and irish all had to do their time before they were considerd white. Right now the hispanics and slavs are doing their time

In what world does 3rd largest group = the majority?

this reads like cuck spam

pls tell me you're fucking joking

i refuse to believe blacks really are this disgusting stereotype

That was the point? I even thought giving Goodnight PTSD was too much depth and thought it was annoying. I just wanted to see a really good western again, which it was.

>Some Chinese
you people are pathetic as fuck

Oh my god I literally had Cred Forums - the person behind me when watching this.

I wanted to get up and punch that fat fuck in the face.

This
Also Chris Pratt's character was openly racist and so was the Mexican so it was accurate

Non-white people lived in the land that is now called America for much longer than white people have lived there.

America has a longer history of being non-white than it does being white.

Giving Goodnight PTSD felt out of place and was way underdeveloped. It was more of a Fast and Furious action movie than a western.
I didn't hate it though.

Cowboys had a disproportionate number of blacks and mexicans doing the job. Wouldn't surprise me if chink workers did it too.

By comparison, the only Europeans who rocked up in China during the construction of the Great Wall were a handful of traders looking for the plant silk grew on.

I'm asian, and I don't give a flying fuck. If someone asks "where are you from" I just say "I was born in America". It's not that baffling of a question because asians have historically been very uncommon in the US and haven't been immigrating en masse until relatively recently.

you should actually act really offended

>t white person who knows better than you

What's up with D'onofrio's character?

Or is he just supposed to be crazy lmao?