Is Ridley Scott the biggest hack in Hollywood...

Is Ridley Scott the biggest hack in Hollywood? He's literally only made like two or three good movies in his career (and even those have like ten different versions); his movies consistently bomb and receive negative critical feedback, and they're all boring as fuck.

I'm surprised it wasn't him that jumped off the bridge instead of his brother.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Y1OwvcGLGaM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump

>The Duelists
>Alien
>Blade Runner
>Gladiator
>Kingdom of Heaven (DC)
>American Gangster
>Black Hawk Down
>Body of Lies

All excellent, what are you talking about OP?
>

>The Duelists

good

>Alien
>Blade Runner

both great films, his status as a ''great'' director is based on the brilliance of these two films

>Gladiator
>Kingdom of Heaven

mediocre trash

>American Gangster

bloated, but ok. nothing exceptional about it.

>Body of Lies

nothing exceptional about it.

>Gladiator
>Mediocre

oh please, now I know you are not serious.

Little piece of trivia but Ridley Scott's sexual preference is fisting. He doesn't even like to cum at all.

Gladiator
Blade Runner
Alien
The Martian
Prometheus
White Squall
Body of Lies
Kingdom of Heaven
American Gangster

All great. You're wrong.

>plebs STILL think that Good Year is a piece of shit

He makes solid movies fairly consistently.

>he directed GI Jane and Black Rain

kek I always forget

Anyway his worst offence was The Counselor

Fucking piece of shit

Prometheus and Exodus were both great films. Only pseud plebs disagree

Mediocre only held up on set design and effects

>Nobody ever mentions Matchstick Men.

pseud pleb spotted

>no Black Rain

Shut up

Gladiator is overrated and there is no greater curse on Cred Forums

The Stephen King of directors

Prometheus was an embarrassing, nonsensical piece of shit, and proves that Alien was just a fluke in great filmmaking from Ridley Scott.

it fucking sucked and Andy Garcia shouldn't be in movies.

(OP)
His movies haven't really average lately imo. Man In the High Castle was pretty good if you can look past the somewhat boring plot.

He's very uneven. He's not gonna make a good one again. He's too old.

>Not including The Martian because it's >>>/reddit/

Hannibal wasn't too bad. It was better-organized and more coherent than the book.

Yes, and?

Ridley Scott is a living pleb filter.

Because they cut out half of it. Also the book was no masterpiece but the movie was fucking embarassing

now THIS is finally an opinion I can agree on.

one of only two movies Ive ever (nearly) walked out of

He made two timeless classics.

How many timeless albums does a band write? one, two?

Thats about right.

He peaked early and high.

regardless of your shitty opinion, Gladiator will be a modern classic for evermore. There was talk of swords and sandels comign back then after Gladiator they stopped working on them because it was maximum kino

source: fucking obvious

The Counselor should be on that KINO chart. Absolutely the definition of pleb filter.

>two timeless classics

>Alien
>Bladerunner
>Thelma and Louise
>Gladiator
>Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut

He's made some great films, but is a completely pretentious twat: youtu.be/Y1OwvcGLGaM

>pretentious
Pleb filter is working as intended.

So do you like him from what he said in that video? I was saying he himself is incredibly arrogant and pretentious, his films aren't for the most part

>I HAVE COME TO RECLAIM ROME FOR MY PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

He's bad. Only hipsters and Cred Forums autists like him.

Gladiator had some good moments, but overall was just bland.

Too much drama, not enough action.

Spiderman 2 is the best superhero movie ever made and likely will be

I feel like he's one of the most inconsistent director. He's made several cult classics as well as several popular movies, but he's also made his fair share of garbage. Of the more popular directors I'd say his filmography has the most variation because of that. Rather than just directing cult films or mainstream films, he has a pretty solid mix of both littered with some garbage.

>Is Ridley Scott the biggest hack in Hollywood? He's literally only made like two or three good movies in his career

That's two or thee more good movies than 99.9% of Hollywood directors.

By Hollywood standards he is god tier.

>Too much drama, not enough action.

Scott is a fantastic technical director, but he seems at the mercy of the script when it comes to the human and story elements. Look at Prometheus. Everything that wasn't the script was phenomenal.

>Thelma and Louise
Glad to see this get some recognition in one of these threads. Great roadtrip movie, and one of the best endings.

Bay's movies have too much drama, and not enough action, too.

>He hasn't seen things to do in denver when you're dead
Andy garcia is a fine actor.

me too, Tony Scott made TOP FOOKIN' GUN!1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

>such a dirty pleb that you think Bay movies don't have enough action to hold your rodent like attention span

Great film.

>Exodus
>Great

Maybe if he release the 4 hour cut already but for what it it is now its honestly a rushed underdevelopment film.

>Gladiator
>good

when will this meme die

The fuck? The typical action movie has 5-6 action set peices gladator has 6

-germania battle
-africa arena
-chariot fight
-masked man fight
-coup attempt
-final fight

Also I get chills whenever the chariots burst out of the gate and their scyths swish thru the air 10/10 costume set sound character designs thruought

the day after you do

This. With Scott you can count on consistently good scenes and visuals but the story and the human element are a crapshoot.

what?
It's a mediocre movie, but your criticism is backwards. Far too much shitty action.

it's weird to me that people hold him up as some kind of major artist when he's so clearly just this director for hire. if you ever listen to one of his interviews or audio commentaries he doesn't think about the material he's directing in any depth, it's literally all about surfaces ("i want to do a western") and logistical and technical problems for him.

and he's not even a particularly good director for hire. his work has suffered as he's grown more reliant on coverage and multiple camera setups. danny mcbride said he never does more than two takes. he also doesn't bother to exercise editorial control of his movies at the script level, then he capitulates to the studio and cuts reels of material out and fucks up his own movies, despite having final cut.

>>it's weird to me that people hold him up as some kind of major artist when he's so clearly just this director for hire.

I haven't seen him be held up as a 'major artist', he is recognized for having made a couple of great films and a couple of decent ones, which is more than you can say for the vast majority of directors working today.

And while his quality have suffered in later years, that holds true for every director of his generation as well, the shit Spielberg etc peddle these days certainly isn't any better.

>danny mcbride said

LOL wtf ? Danny Mcbride ? 'Your Highness' Danny Mcbride... are you fucking joking ? Who are you going to quote next, Adam Sandler ?

This is a thing?

>Prometheus

>Great

better than everything he's made except for alien and blade runner to be quite honest with you

It exists. I remember reading somewhere that Ridley's original cut of the movie was 4 hours long. I hope it gets released someday.

>Duelists
solid 6/10
>Alien
legit great film
>Blade Runner
legit great film but only if you watch the version without the wink wink shit that implies Deckard is in fact a replicant which is a dumb as shit idea.
>Gladiator
Entertaining flick (don't let nostalgia blind you, watch it again)
>Kingdom of Heaven (DC)
Orlando bland ruined it. Sorry but who the fuck allowed him to be cast. Ya blew it.
>American gangster
I'll admit, I never saw this.
>Black Hawk Down
Entertaining flick.
>Body of lies
6/10 solid flick
bonus:
>The Martian
6/10 solid flick (book was bettr :^)
>Matchstick men
6/10 solid cage

Now how about all those shit films with barely any redeeming features?
>Prometheus (FUCKING WHAT)
>Exodus (some nice effects i admit)
>The conselor (FUCKING WHAT)
>Robin Hood (Who asked for this?)

Now that's not too bad a record if you ask me.

This. He's not an artist. It's not bad to be a technical guy but please don't call him an artist.