New Norm, baby

New Norm, baby.

youtube.com/watch?v=FWdu7o7xWJA

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z6hEfK5C-Sg
howardstern.com/show/2016/9/19/audio-heres-9-minute-joke-norm-macdonald-told-close-out-his-stern-show-interview/
streamable.com/kd25
youtube.com/watch?v=y2LDgSECjdU
youtube.com/watch?v=7cI61Fgm_yA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

nine eleven

Finished his book this weekend in 24 hours, it's masterful. A must-read for any Norm fans.

Is it actually good? I was going to order it next pay.

buy the book

It's excellent, yes. I genuinely loved it. The narrative artifice is really clever, it's like one long joke, you'll see what I mean. Lots of inside jokes for Norm fans. Adam Eget gets shit on every other page and it's always hilarious. Norm's love of literature and intellect shines through as it's genuinely well written. I even cried at one point.

>tfw i released a few days early on Amazon Video and I've already watched it twice

>You gotta work by the book, damnit!
>Alright. Bye, book.

>Do you still watch SNL?
Yeah, I watch it.

>What do you think of it?
I don't like agenda comedy. I guess I could say that.

>i even cried at one point

Rampant fanboyism, joke, or was there something that poignant in it?

norm pls go

Something poignant, 26 or so pages in he gets to an emotional moment from his childhood. Which may be completely fabricated, still very moving.

well, what was the moment

The death and funeral of an old farmhand who young Norm really looked up to, Old Jack.

Holy fuck, now I understand what people mean when they say there are shills here. Go away norm, no one cares about you.

Thanks for correcing the record

Girls on HBO and Inside Amy Schumer are the only comedy I need

#imwithher

ALL THE STARS ARE HERE!!

I wish Norm was shilling in this thread. It'd probably be pretty funny.

thanks user

not a fan of Hader but at least he'll act like a fucking human being, unlike fucking "Merchant."

SPORTS
P
O
R
T
S

Merchant was great and got along fine w/ Norm, those that can't see it may be autistic.

you forgot the part where jack raped Norm

He was probably saving that part for the user to discover, oh well.

Episode was great. Harder was pretty interesting. I feel bad because I just signed up for the audible free trial to get Norm's audiobook for free and canceled.

Toolshed

It is amazing, I'd have liked to know more about his methods and ideas about comedy, his life on the road, but it's a great book.

Yeah I would like to know where he gets his ideas from.

why haven't there been more threads on the new season? We used to have way more back when it was first airing like when that one user catfished Eget.

Adam please

Harder is one of my idols. A funny guy with panic attacks who goes from improv to stardom. That is my dream.

youtube.com/watch?v=z6hEfK5C-Sg

this sketch is way funnier than he gives it credit for

if the audience had laughed hed love it

comedy is fickle like that

It releases Friday on Amazon Prime.

The real norm fans watch it then.

What is the best ep? I have only listened to the season premiere with stephen merchant

I literally never even smiled.

SNL is atrocious.

Season 1 is pretty much perfect, so you can watch them all. In fact the pilot with Super Dave might be the best one

They're all good. Swardson and the Gilbert podcasts were gold

Gottfried is probably my favourite. Almost all are fantastic though. Norm manages to make even Andy Dick funny.

Why do you plebs hate the Jack Carter episode so much? It's great.

I like it. Always interesting to hear about old showbiz stuff that would be lost to the ages. Gilbert's excellent podcast features a lot of old hollywood guests.

It's a good Jack Carter interview but it's not a good Norm podcast.

That bit in the super dave episode where he actually gets him to laugh with the Lindsay Lohan joke is absolute perfection.

Goddamn Hader is so bland. I've never liked him.

Superdaves the funniest man alive

Norm appearance + CICGC + CYE Interviews = Confirmation

>I've been chomping at the bit to ask you this question
>Where do you get your ideas from?

Same, quick read but it's pretty long. You just don't want to put it down.

Yeah, that's the rub I guess. I really enjoy the surrealism or magical realism or whatever, it's great but the rare bits of truthful insight are really interesting as well.

>bill who

pass!

lel

what a boring episode, feels like a Joe Rogan podcast with a comic guest

too bad Bill Hader has never been funny doing anything

does norm throw out the bill murray "rich or famous & rich" quote every episode?

Just in the last episode. He repeats material. Some of the stuff he said today was in his Howard Stern interview last week and he also repeated the hatchery joke there.

>I forgot he was here

>no joke segment

Fuck you, Norm.

WHO WROTE THAT

Is his sitcom the norm show any good

Well this was written YEARS ago

Just finished, great episode. No hijinks really, but comfy insightful SNL/showbiz stories and anecdotes. It's cool Norm employs Letterman people and if he really gets Dave as a guest it would be fucking incredible.

For such a garbage show people sure like to talk about SNL a lot

bout fucking time

It was great for long stretches despite being awful he past few years

I really don't think it was ever good, just a place for talented comedians to meet each other and go off to do better things

According to Wikipedia Letterman's going to be on this season

Yeah I cant wait. One of the greats, Norm''s one of his biggest fans and heir apparent in comedy.

book isn't very funny, and just boring as a literacy piece

not sure why he wrote it

It is both funny and ingenious. That is, if you're a fan of his. Either you didnt read it, or you're not.

People have been saying the 'it's just not good right now' meme since I was in middle school.

Even in the 'great' eras for the last 3 decades maybe one or two sketches the entire show were funny.

howardstern.com/show/2016/9/19/audio-heres-9-minute-joke-norm-macdonald-told-close-out-his-stern-show-interview/

He told the joke a lot better in their merchant episode

Bump

What's the point, then? I usually just skip to the jokes.

New Joker, baby

What's wrong with Norm's face? He looks different here. Did he get surgery or something?

It was for a role

I thank Jesus Christ of the Nazareth.

Thank you god.

Wow Hader was a really cool dude and genuinely funny.

You have to read between the lines a bit because Norm kept cutting the compliments off but you can tell Hader did it because he's a HUGE fan of Norm's SNL stuff and and his Weekend Update.

His nose looks totally different

I wish they wouldn't edit these so much.

agreed.
here's the spelling bee sketch referenced in the episode, I'd never seen it before
streamable.com/kd25

is hader an unfunny stick in the mud like he is on podcasts?

I've only really seen his Italian sketch which I think is hilarious, disparate Stefan stuff, which is pretty funny, and Documentary Now, which absolutely nails most of its subjects. He seems like a talented guy, even on this episode he's got some quick impressions and wit, but like a lot of comedians is kind of awkward too i guess.

Love Hader. His WTF ep was super laid back and hilarious too.

There's a pretty good joke at the end anyway involving the guy who used to book comics for Carson.

you can tell haders really self conscious all the time, i think thats what youre noticing, someone who is inside their head

i think hes really funny

so where do you get your ideas from?

>The opening remarks are back.

Thank you god.

ive only seen the episodes on youtube. watched this and wtf, norm has a grey beard and eget is fat?????

> after all that genius fucking work norm didn't get any late night hosting offers

jdimsa

reminder that norm is actually bald and has gray hair

Egret goes in and out of coke and alcohol problems so his bloat varies.

Norm is just a fat fuck

This was the worst podcast yet, really boring

Norm actually dyed his hair for the book tour.

Should I get the book or audiobook?

Eget has also begun the process of turning into a tomato

After that terrible Stephen (((Merchant))) interview this last one was a breath of fresh air.

Glad to see the show still has it's legs. I was honestly worried that some of the stronger guys behind the scenes hadn't returned, but Norm confirmed in this episode that guys like Steve O'Donnell and others are back.

The last episode was hilarious, what are you talking about?

>merchant trying desperately not to offend anyone
>senile uncle
>brexit

norm is really dull in season 2 and so far 3. most of norms wit and comedy is in season 1

He was so uncomfortable the entire way through especially with the "Dude you only have white males here lmao" bit

Norm's response to that was savage

I really enjoyed the experience of reading the text, as it's suited to that medium and maybe should be enjoyed as such, but also look forward to listening at some point.

Are you shit posting or serious?

Merchant was great, newer more autistic Norm "fans" think he's punking everyone

His take on prison rape (in the book) was the funniest rape stuff I ever read or heard. It was rapey as all get out.

I guess you're new to the show, because you didn't notice that more than half of the jokes Norm told to Merchant were jokes he had already told in previous episodes. He was desperately trying to get a rise out of the quiet, reserved, seemingly prudish, Merchant. Watch more episodes he usually has much more engaging guests.

Also, the Dirty Billy (or whatever his name is) joke is Norm's worst longform joke yet. The punchline just isn't strong enough to carry the story.

He's like the only other guest along with Roseanne who just swallowed the "serial murderer and rapist" joke and kept waiting awkwardly

I get that he was probably seeing the joke through to its end and didn't want to bite but still, don't be such a downer

Watch the one with Billy Bob Thornton if you wanna hear some good stories

Watch Swardson/Gottfried if you wanna hear some filthy rapport

Or watch Carl Reiner if you wanna see something special

is Norm's red hat a tip to Trump?

I think it is

>never wore a hat before
>wears a big red hat

I guess you are new to the show because Norms long form jokes aren't about the punchline at all. It being weak makes it even funnier.

This
It would be fucking great

I want a shout out

I wanna hear this in an opening monologue or some early-show banter to open up the guest

I read everything with his cadence and it's perfect

He is very conservative and religious. Of course he is going to be a trump supporter.
But there is no way he was going to look that far ahead

If you're talking about the "real jerk" joke he repeats every podcast episode, it's honestly not that funny.

He's doing it for a bit

Made more so by the fact that it's done every episode

But the idea is that he's leading in the guest with this sensationalized story and he pulls the rug out from under with the tamest punchline ever

Just seeing what people say in response and if they laugh or what is worth it imo, but with Merchant and Roseanne they both gave off this dead-eyed stare which essentially made the previous 2 minutes a wash.

What was funny was when he later gave Roseanne some Xanax to mellow her out

WHAT WOULD SETH MEYERS DO

I get the idea, but he doesn't execute it well, and I can't blame Roseanne and Merchant for not reacting when the build up isn't all that great. I think I've seen maybe one instance of it where his timing made it actually funny, but he just rushes through it and delivers the punch line to where it sounds like he's trying too hard.

>buying the book or audiobook when mobilism has it already

I really didn't like Bill Hader felt like he was a really boring guy. Love some of his work, but damn.

>brexit
It was hilarious when he whispered.

If based Norm ends up actually having Letterman on the show his legend will trascend even more, but he's lied about guests before so we'll see.

Lol you're fucking retarded.

Of course along the way there has to be a lot of funny shit. But, if the punchline isn't strong (you're an idiot if you think the punchlines of his other jokes weren't strong) the whole joke falls apart.

>The light was on.

>Now, I think I've been serving a youthful porpoise.

>The fella that has to hold down Andy would know it.

This just doesn't work for the joke.

>Don't mess with Terry when he's been drinkin

There's nothing surprising or funny about that punchline.

Yeah I love Norm but that was a weak punchline.

The story itself is pretty funny but that punchline doesn't do the rest any justice.

It is far from something as solid and cohesive as The Moth joke.

Norm is on James Corden tonight

might be a good format for him, he's best when he can play off somebody

what channel is James Corden

is that Craig Ferguson's old spot?

Yeah it's the job norm wanted

oh shit

I don't watch stand-up comedy, how do I get into Norm? I watched his youtube red carpet appearance and he seems pretty cool.

Probably just listen to it?

Norm's appeal comes from his storytelling, his cadence and his particular taste for uh seasoning his prose

Just try listening to some shows as albums

apparently Benny Lee and Margaret Cho are two upcoming guests they've already filmed. But yeah Letterman would be great especially as a two parter.

pretty much his talk show appearances are the best way to get into him. The Conan stuff is probably his best.

Also check out the white house correspondence roast he did in the 90's

Add his ESPYs performance to that list.

Holy shit, that OJ joke that he closed with. It will never happen but he would be a perfect fit for the Golden Globes

Just watch whatever you can find on Youtube.
I like his Howard Stern and Dennis Miller stuff the best.

youtube.com/watch?v=y2LDgSECjdU

Note to self: watch old Norm.

Fortunately, Norm is the king of awkward and Lea Michele seemed to be kind of star struck by him so no one was hurt too badly. Close one.

I was kind of bummed that they didn't read jokes this episode. It's such a good way to round out the episode.

i think norm was genuinely pleased to have a guest:
1) who has something to say
2) laughs at jokes

i can tell Norm is the kind of guy that thrives on laughter since he doesn't laugh much.

I thought the same thing. He tried to draw it out too much on Stern and didn't hit the punchline with as much confidence.

>buying books

i didn't know about this either

what a Norm day
youtube.com/watch?v=7cI61Fgm_yA

what up /normies/
i'm bummed they didn't do jokes, like wtf?

How was he on Corden?

I think because that story was especially fucked up, what with the murder ejaculation and whatnot, it made more sense to have a weak punchline because it kind of adds the to the whole absurdity of the bit. I do think the punchline should have been cleaner though